Fiji politician removes snake god from the bible

Burning the old Bibles would solve Fiji's problems.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Fiji politician removes snake god from the bible

#1  Postby Kiwi » Nov 17, 2012 10:05 pm

One of Fiji's richest politicians has come up with a new translation of the Bible just so he can expunge a single word that he says has cursed Fijians for 175 years. Jim Ah Koy, who has politically survived all four of Fiji's coups, plans to give a new Bible to 475,000 Fijians, free of the word "kalougata". The original translators in 1836 believed the word in the then unwritten Bauan language (now the national language of Fiji) meant a blessing from God.

Ah Koy argues "kalou" means a spirit god, and that "gata" means snake. Put together it means "blessed is the snake god" - a reference to the pre-Christian gods that Fijians believed came in the form of giant snakes.
Ah Koy said the word's appearance in the Bible had cursed Fiji, leading to the "rapid deterioration of things relative to iTaukei [indigenous]". Burning the old Bibles would solve Fiji's problems.

"Now, there is going to be an explosion of good things for all Fijians in the world," Ah Koy said.
"I want to eradicate this word ‘kalougata' from the lips of every Fijian."

On his website (nftbible.com) Ah Koy says the word is "unacceptable and unwarranted". The snake, he says, is the enemy of God - the Serpent, the Devil. To expect God's blessing while we call him something other than what he has called himself is hardly blessing God. In fact, it renders hollow our petitions for his blessing."
Of Chinese-Fijian origin, Ah Koy was a long serving member of Parliament and finance minister under the first coup leader, Sitiveni Rabuka. He later sponsored a young George Speight to a Seventh Day Adventist University in the United States. Speight overthrew the government in 2000.
He was recently Fiji's ambassador to China.
Ah Koy is not alone with biblical obsessions. As Fiji holds public hearings into its fourth constitution, a number of submitters, including Rabuka, are demanding Fiji be declared a Christian state.

Continue reading

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-paci ... ord-of-God
Kiwi

Male

Print view this post

Re: Fiji politician removes snake god from the bible

#2  Postby FijianLanguage » Jun 13, 2022 11:55 pm

The idea to introduce a new Bible by Ah Koy is his personal belief. He is entitled to that. He is a 7th Day Adventist after all.

However, as a half Chinese and Half Indigenous Fijian on his maternal side, he has overstepped the mark big time in force-feeding his idea to the rest of Indigenous Fijians of Fiji.

Ah Koy, his name alone would indicate it ain't an Indigenous Fijian name. So what authority does he have to come and force the people of Fiji to accept his interpretation of the word 'Kalougata"?

What Ah Koy has done, he has taken the word literally and split the word into two i.e "kalou" and "gata".

In true Indigenous Fijian meaning and the Spirit of Fiji in it all, the word "Kalou" means "God' and "Gata" means "Sharp".
Nothing wrong whatsoever there.

Ah Koy regardless of his status, ouht not to have bulldoze his way through the Indigenous Fijians in the way he has done. There are given protocols in the Indigenous Fijian sense to be followed to effect those changes. What he had done, he has used his position. money to belittle the Indigenous Fijians as such.
FijianLanguage

Name: Elena Makaba

Fiji (fj)
Print view this post

Re: Fiji politician removes snake god from the bible

#3  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 14, 2022 2:51 pm

FijianLanguage wrote:The idea to introduce a new Bible by Ah Koy is his personal belief. He is entitled to that. He is a 7th Day Adventist after all.

He may well be entitled to do it (I hope he's not using tax payer's money, though), but other people are also entitled to point out how batshit it is. In fact, I think they should - and I don't mean just non-Christians, but Christians too. Christians should be saying 'Dude, our Creator isn't going to 'curse' an entire nation of people just because of a notionally mistranslated word in the Bible'. How's the chap going to react when he realizes that even within the Christian narrative, 'God' doesn't actually call himself 'God', it's not his name, it's a title or a class of entities (thou shalt have no other god before me) - God's name is (oops, ancient Hebrew crashes the SQL - let's say YHWH) transliterated as Yahweh, itself probably an extension, or honorific, of the older Babylonian God El.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs