Florida's first black State Attorney Pulled over

no violation cited

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Florida's first black State Attorney Pulled over

#21  Postby purplerat » Jul 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Ironically I think the cop was trying to give her a too much of an explanation out of respect for her position but comes off as a sniveling brat. If he'd just been a normal prick cop and didn't try to justify his behavior he'd probably have come off a lot better.

Instead, he starts sputtering on making it look like he knows he'd done something wrong. It's kind of like when somebody says something that isn't really intended to be racist but might be interpreted that way and then they realize there is a black person in the room so they start rambling on trying to justify that it wasn't racist only to make it look like it really was racist.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby theropod » Jul 16, 2017 10:30 pm

I have never understood the tint thing. Trade vans sometimes don't even have windows from the front seating area back. A buddy of mine drove one for this very reason. Cops sure as hell cannot see through steel.

RS
17 years off-grid and counting.

Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby purplerat » Jul 16, 2017 10:32 pm

theropod wrote:I have never understood the tint thing. Trade vans sometimes don't even have windows from the front seating area back. A buddy of mine drove one for this very reason. Cops sure as hell cannot see through steel.

RS

I don't think it's as much as what the cops can see as what you can see. In vehicles with limited windows there are typically additional/larger mirrors to account for the reduced visibility.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby CarlPierce » Jul 16, 2017 10:54 pm

She seemed to almost enjoy his unease.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Teague » Jul 17, 2017 1:31 pm

theropod wrote:I have never understood the tint thing. Trade vans sometimes don't even have windows from the front seating area back. A buddy of mine drove one for this very reason. Cops sure as hell cannot see through steel.

RS

At the same time, nobody inside can see out either. The tinted windows means you sat in the back pointing a gun at the cops can't be seen when you can see them.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby CarlPierce » Jul 17, 2017 9:02 pm

Just how rare is spontaneous violence against cops?
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby OlivierK » Jul 17, 2017 9:23 pm

The problem seems to be in part that her unlisted plates get flagged the same way fake plates would.

Cops here run permanent digital character recognition plate scanners that pop up an alert when a car with invalid (usually out of date) registration is detected, but I'd bet they don't go off for plates of anyone whose registration details are deemed confidential.

OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Teague » Jul 18, 2017 11:55 am

CarlPierce wrote:Just how rare is spontaneous violence against cops?

Cops rate something like 11th most dangerous job. It would be way lower if you took away deaths from traffic accidents.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby proudfootz » Jul 18, 2017 12:23 pm

Teague wrote:

Cops rate something like 11th most dangerous job. It would be way lower if you took away deaths from traffic accidents.

Maybe if there are sufficient incidents like this the public will be more reticent to want to see cops around, then less occasions for cops to be in a hurry to answer a call.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Oldskeptic » Jul 18, 2017 1:19 pm

Teague wrote:

Not if you look at being murdered on the job. Then it's #2, behind taxi drivers.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs