Flygskam, or “flight-shaming” movement.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Flygskam, or “flight-shaming” movement.

#61  Postby Mike_L » Jul 23, 2019 2:23 pm

laklak wrote:I did with the latest batch. Hit my usual nightly bowl and was sick as a dog, head spinning and puking. That's the problem with illegal weed, you just don't know what your getting. On the plus side, it only takes half as much.

Don't get me started on the fucking TSA. If there was any other way to get to Swaziland I'd take it, I absolutely loathe flying. Crammed into a metal tube with a bunch of other ground apes for 17 hours is hell, no matter how much you drink.

Slow cruise on your boat to SA. I'll meet you at Durban harbor. Then we can take turns pushing my beat-up VW Golf to Swaziland.

:grin:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#62  Postby Mike_L » Jul 23, 2019 2:26 pm

laklak wrote:It will be anti-gravity cities full of rich fuckers floating over a blasted, flooded Mad Max landscape. The Stand will look like Winnie the Pooh. My advice is get a boat and lots of ammo. Oh, and hydro weed. Don't forget the weed.

Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#63  Postby Svartalf » Jul 23, 2019 5:02 pm

My alcoholism is necessary, strong drink is about the only drug (even opposed to the prescription ones I also take) that control my nerves and depression...

as for flight shaming, I have none, I spend my vacation in greece, no way I go there by train, though going by cruiseship might be en enjoyable way to do it, albeit not necessarily a more virtuous one.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#64  Postby felltoearth » Jul 23, 2019 6:45 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
felltoearth wrote:Speaking of low hanging fruit....

The Environmental Impact of Alcohol
There are a number of ways in which alcohol production negatively impacts the planet, starting with the process of growing the ingredients necessary to produce alcohol. Grains, potatoes, rice, botanicals, sugar cane, and agave are all significant ingredients in the alcohol industry, each of which require a significant amount of water, fertilizer, land, and use of machinery.

In essence, these resources are being used to produce beverages that aren’t necessary for human survival, which could be diverted to providing food aid for those in need.

Physician, heal thyself.

Not necessary for human survival? Do they have any idea how many babies are a direct result of drunken relationships?

Well, add THAT to the carbon footprint.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jul 27, 2019 7:25 pm

I feel sick about the amount of flying I do.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Macdoc » Jul 27, 2019 7:41 pm

so buy some offsets to neutralize it.
https://davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/carbon-offsets/
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jul 27, 2019 9:37 pm

Or I could not fly and not need to buy offsets to neutralise the environmental damage caused by all the flying I do.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#68  Postby tuco » Jul 28, 2019 8:46 am

If everyone took a round trip from Toronto to Sydney onboard Boeing 787, the fuel consumption for such a trip would be about the same as yearly gasoline consumption in the world.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/contin ... opulation/
https://www.prokerala.com/travel/flight ... o-toronto/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy_in_aircraft
http://world.bymap.org/OilConsumption.html

Offset that.
tuco

Print view this post

#69  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jul 28, 2019 9:49 am

It's terrifying.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#70  Postby felltoearth » Jul 28, 2019 11:02 am

Everyone? Like the entire population of the world?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#71  Postby tuco » Jul 28, 2019 1:04 pm

Yeah, it was quick mafs, entire: the number in the link .. if everyone .. is condition used for carbon/ecological footprint to demonstrate a point that, for most of us, our way of living is not sustainable. You know me, I like to demonstrate points. Especially when it comes to CO2 being only a part of the problem - being carbon neutral not being enough.

But as I said earlier. Maybe someone flies, has solars on the roof, drives EV and has a lower footprint than someone who does not fly but drives 40 miles to work every day. Or maybe even someone flies and has such footprint that if everyone lived like her/him we would need 5 Earths but contributes something else to the rest of us, like I dunno research whales.

Our way of living cannot should not, in my opinion, be standardized and some stuff is hard to measure and enumerate.
tuco

Print view this post

#72  Postby laklak » Jul 28, 2019 1:58 pm

Hard to stuff that genie back into its bottle. How you gonna keep 'em on the farm once they've seen Paris?

I take comfort in the idea that my current air travel is a tiny percentage of what it used to be. Back in my consulting heyday I was a Gold or Platinum frequent flyer on 7 international airlines. I've reduced my footprint by probably 95%, no reason the rest of you can't do the same, right?

Get a horse, save the planet! Just make sure to bring your pooper-scooper.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 28, 2019 3:15 pm

laklak wrote:Hard to stuff that genie back into its bottle. How you gonna keep 'em on the farm once they've seen Paris?

I can't begin to tell you how bored I am with Paris. We'll perish. We'll always have perish. Destiny takes a hand.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#74  Postby felltoearth » Jul 28, 2019 4:27 pm

tuco wrote:Yeah, it was quick mafs, entire: the number in the link .. if everyone .. is condition used for carbon/ecological footprint to demonstrate a point that, for most of us, our way of living is not sustainable. You know me, I like to demonstrate points. Especially when it comes to CO2 being only a part of the problem - being carbon neutral not being enough.

But as I said earlier. Maybe someone flies, has solars on the roof, drives EV and has a lower footprint than someone who does not fly but drives 40 miles to work every day. Or maybe even someone flies and has such footprint that if everyone lived like her/him we would need 5 Earths but contributes something else to the rest of us, like I dunno research whales.

Our way of living cannot should not, in my opinion, be standardized and some stuff is hard to measure and enumerate.

I don't understand. Your links are just a bunch population numbers and oil consumption. Are you saying that's equivalent to the current carbon output due to air travel?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 28, 2019 5:14 pm

Never fly anymore. I am going to München, Wien and Budapest by train this holiday and all first class. Flying is a pain.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#76  Postby tuco » Jul 28, 2019 5:15 pm

It's a source for the quick mafs so those of a mindset .. show your math .. can check whether my claim sticks or not. They need to know: how many is "everyone", how much fuel does it take to get from Toronto to Sydney and back and how much gasoline does the world consume per year.
Last edited by tuco on Jul 28, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#77  Postby felltoearth » Jul 28, 2019 5:17 pm

tuco wrote:It's a source for the quick mafs so those of a mindset .. show your math .. can check whether my claim sticks or not.

I'm trying to figure out the point of the math. Explain it to me and maybe I'll take the next step.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#78  Postby tuco » Jul 28, 2019 5:19 pm

I did it in Google disk sheet which is gone. Shall I do it again?

"everyone" = 7,346,235,000
787-8 fuel consumption = 2.77 l/100 km
distance = 15,560 km x 2

then 93,500,000 barells per day => 93,500,000 x 159 x 365
Last edited by tuco on Jul 28, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#79  Postby felltoearth » Jul 28, 2019 5:23 pm

tuco wrote:Its trivial math. I did it in Google disk sheet which is gone. Shall I do it again?

I don't care about the math right now. I think I made that clear, trivial or not. Said another way, what is the math supposed to show?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Svartalf » Jul 28, 2019 5:24 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Never fly anymore.Flying is a pain.

couldn't agree more, flying was a pleasure before 2001, and it has become torture since.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs