Georgia Just Criminalized Abortion

Women Who Terminate Their Pregnancies Would Receive Life in Prison

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Georgia Just Criminalized Abortion

#201  Postby purplerat » May 15, 2019 4:20 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
purplerat wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
purplerat wrote:
Personally I think even at the barebones definition is a shitty term. Saying one is "involuntarily celibate" heavily implies that it's through no fault of your own or that the person has no way of bettering their situation. It's inherently filled with self-pity and I'm not buying it. There's also a sense of entitlement in the idea that not having sex whenever you might want it equates to celibacy.

Certainly the modern day incels take on the identity is way worse but I think they are just expanding an already shitty mindset into a really outrageous ideology.

It was ripe for exploitation, but I don't agree with you here. I don't have to think too long to come up with someone who probably wants to have sex but never has, either due to being incredibly physically or socially unattractive. They could probably be doing things to help their situation, but unless they have a community to discuss that with, how would they necessarily know? I don't think distinguishing from people who are voluntarily celebrate means that they have to feel entitled to sex, just that they want it. Wanting sex doesn't mean you want to force someone to have sex with you, or that it's owed to you. It doesn't even necessarily mean you want to put in the effort to make it more likely for you to have sex, it could just be learning ways to cope with it. I get that the term isn't benign now, but I've no doubt the non-misogynistic, non-murdering community still exists and still could benefit from community support.

I'm sure there are some people who so truly unfortunate to such a degree that they will basically never get laid under any circumstances no matter what they do. But those people are the rare exception, IMO.

Maybe, but in the age of the internet with billions of people in communication, even the tiniest fraction is a potential community.

My guess is that most people who might feel like they are incel really don't fit that category and that's where the self pity and sense of entitlement come in. I also highly suspect that such people are likely having many other issues in their lives beyond just not having sex and I don't think dwelling on that one aspect with a community of like minded individuals is really the best solution. I think there are much better avenues for finding happiness in one's life even if it means not getting everything you want.

I wouldn't assume that talking with other people with similar experiences as theirs, and advice for how to deal with it, means that they dwell on it at the expense of all other things. That may be what it's become because of the way the community's become, possibly intentionally weaponized, but again, if you're socially awkward, don't know what to do to even begin solving this issue you're having, and can't talk to anyone IRL about it, why wouldn't you seek help from an online community? It seems like a perfectly natural thing to do to me.

I get what your saying and completely understand how it sounds like a good and reasonable thing.

But unfortunately I think online communities in general have a terrible propensity for becoming toxic. Exponentially more so than non-online communities. Similarly almost any discussion about sex as a very high chance of turning toxic. Combine those two with the reality that, for various reasons, any 'incel' community is going to be almost entirely male and you have a tinderbox.

With that in mind I would say the modern day incel ideology is not some unfortunate offshoot of the original intent of incel identification but rather an inevitably.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#202  Postby SafeAsMilk » May 15, 2019 4:32 pm

Maybe so, and I don't think you're wrong that an introverted online community that is characterized by social problems is extremely susceptible to toxicity. It's just a shame for people who are potentially looking for help and community support that isn't toxic.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#203  Postby purplerat » May 15, 2019 4:37 pm

It is a shame. Maybe there are online professional help groups led by mental/sexual health experts who can provide assistance. If not it would be a wonderful idea for somebody to start up and maybe pickoff some of the less committed members of the current incel community.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#204  Postby Svartalf » May 15, 2019 5:09 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:I don't think there's anyone in my life for whom there is no sex whatsoever available.

That's not to say people they find particularly attractive are offering to bone them but have you been to the mall lately? All kinds of fat and dumpy and ugly people are in relationships that involve sex. So are lots of dumb people and people with vile personalities.

well, that's where I suffer... I'm often well liked thanks to my nice personality and extensive culture, but when it comes to getting boned, well, I can't seem to find any willing lady :whine: . Worse than that, my age seems to play directly against me, it's been thrown in my face more than once, except that at 50 I'm still randier than James...
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#205  Postby purplerat » May 15, 2019 5:21 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Rachel Bronwyn wrote:I don't think there's anyone in my life for whom there is no sex whatsoever available.

That's not to say people they find particularly attractive are offering to bone them but have you been to the mall lately? All kinds of fat and dumpy and ugly people are in relationships that involve sex. So are lots of dumb people and people with vile personalities.

well, that's where I suffer... I'm often well liked thanks to my nice personality and extensive culture, but when it comes to getting boned, well, I can't seem to find any willing lady :whine: . Worse than that, my age seems to play directly against me, it's been thrown in my face more than once, except that at 50 I'm still randier than James...

Not to discount your troubles but I would think that for men as we age finding people to bone would actually get easier. Many younger women are into older guys and then you have all the women your age who feel like men your age aren't interested in them nor are younger men. And if you go just a bit older you'd have the numbers game way in your favor as there are more available women than men in those age groups.

Maybe I'm way off base on that assessment but given what I see around me I don't think I am.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#206  Postby laklak » May 15, 2019 5:26 pm

You should see the old dudes at our marina, women all over the show. The marina pub is a geriatric meat-market. Maybe having a yacht helps.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#207  Postby willhud9 » May 15, 2019 5:30 pm

All I have to do is go to my bar and talk to people. Build a connection and go from there. It just takes the ability to be proactive and strike up a conversation. :dunno: I know I don't have devilishly good looks, so I know its not that. But I have confidence and ambition and that is noticeable.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#208  Postby Regina » May 15, 2019 6:52 pm

Svartalf wrote:thanks...

In other news, Alabama virtually forbade abortion too.

Their new law isn't nearly as draconian as the Northern Irish one.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ampaigners

"The [Alabama] law is not as harsh in its penalties for women who cause their own abortions, though – in Alabama only doctors face up to life imprisonment. Here in Northern Ireland, women who cause their own abortion continue to face up to life in prison if convicted.”
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#209  Postby Svartalf » May 15, 2019 7:22 pm

question is not only the letter of the law, it's whether it's enforced, if they pass a fresh law, they intend to see it enforced, whereas the NI law may be an old thing that is never actually invoked.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#210  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 15, 2019 8:07 pm

They should all be made to watch this:

Although I imagine the sort of people in favour of this law would probably struggle with a subtitled film.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#211  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 15, 2019 8:24 pm

Regina wrote:
Svartalf wrote:thanks...

In other news, Alabama virtually forbade abortion too.

Their new law isn't nearly as draconian as the Northern Irish one.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ampaigners

"The [Alabama] law is not as harsh in its penalties for women who cause their own abortions, though – in Alabama only doctors face up to life imprisonment. Here in Northern Ireland, women who cause their own abortion continue to face up to life in prison if convicted.”

People said similar things about Brunei when it introduced these new homophobic laws. Saudi Arabia's worse. Well yeah, but it's not about which country has which laws, it's about the direction or travel. While Northern Ireland has draconian laws, there's quite a big campaign to have them changed for the better, whereas Georgia and Alabama are moving in the opposite direction.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#212  Postby laklak » May 15, 2019 8:25 pm

According to all the polls I've seen, a large majority (like close to 60 or 70% depending on the poll) of Alabamians want abortion outlawed. Brings up an interesting conundrum. At what point does the will of the majority become the tyranny of the majority? How does one support democracy, particularly direct democracy, without doing the will of the overwhelming majority? Even if a "right" is guaranteed in the Constitution it is still subject to revision or revocation by a sufficient majority. How would a Federal right to privacy, which is implied and not enumerated, be any different to, say, the right to keep and bear arms?

Before somebody jumps down my throat and calls me an insensitive troglodyte, I am NOT advocating for or defending Alabama's law and I do NOT believe the state should have a right to ban abortion.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#213  Postby willhud9 » May 15, 2019 8:44 pm

It is a fair question. One of the reasons I am opposed to populism and doing things just because the will of the majority want it.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#214  Postby tuco » May 15, 2019 8:45 pm

I believe the people are sovereign. Even if it would mean harm to me or to my interests. Then I would have to fight them, I guess. In which case they might want to reconsider. Or just accept I have only one vote.
tuco

Print view this post

#215  Postby purplerat » May 15, 2019 8:58 pm

laklak wrote:According to all the polls I've seen, a large majority (like close to 60 or 70% depending on the poll) of Alabamians want abortion outlawed. Brings up an interesting conundrum. At what point does the will of the majority become the tyranny of the majority? How does one support democracy, particularly direct democracy, without doing the will of the overwhelming majority? Even if a "right" is guaranteed in the Constitution it is still subject to revision or revocation by a sufficient majority. How would a Federal right to privacy, which is implied and not enumerated, be any different to, say, the right to keep and bear arms?

Before somebody jumps down my throat and calls me an insensitive troglodyte, I am NOT advocating for or defending Alabama's law and I do NOT believe the state should have a right to ban abortion.

I wonder though how many of those 60-70% support full bans on abortion in all cases.

The reality is that while the pro-choice/pro-life divide is often simply portrayed as all or nothing more nuanced polling paints a different picture.

Very few people nationally support an outright ban even among those who identify as pro-life. As I recall from the last time I looked the national average is less than 20% favoring this type of ban.

Is Alabama really that skewed?
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#216  Postby felltoearth » May 15, 2019 9:01 pm

Timing is an issue. See this story.

Opinion | Hi. My name is Rebecca and this is my abortion story | TheRecord.com
HALIFAX—The state of Georgia just signed House Bill 481 which would make abortion illegal after six weeks into pregnancy, or once a fetal heartbeat is detected; a time frame in which many women have yet to find out they are pregnant.

This kind of bill is otherwise known as a "Heartbeat Bill."

As a woman who has always been vehemently pro-choice, this kind of bill meant to single-handedly control and regulate women's bodies makes me so angry, I have a hard time finding the words to describe it.

That being said, I think it's time I find some. Hi. My name is Rebecca and this is my abortion story.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#217  Postby laklak » May 15, 2019 9:05 pm

purplerat wrote:
Is Alabama really that skewed?

I don't know. I've been to Alabama several times, and it is a very conservative, very Christian, and very redneck place. Nice coastline and cheap marinas, but one fuckton of churches, pick ups, and guns. It wouldn't surprise me, honestly.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#218  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 15, 2019 9:54 pm

willhud9 wrote:All I have to do is go to my bar and talk to people. Build a connection and go from there. It just takes the ability to be proactive and strike up a conversation. :dunno: I know I don't have devilishly good looks, so I know its not that. But I have confidence and ambition and that is noticeable.

Unfortunately that's not as simple for others as it is for you Will.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#219  Postby Seabass » May 15, 2019 11:09 pm

Monsters walk among us. We call them... "Republicans".

"The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots." ―H.L. Mencken

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." —Einstein
"I’m a nationalist." —Trump
Seabass

Name: Typical Macho American

United States (us)
Print view this post

#220  Postby chango369 » May 15, 2019 11:23 pm

Next they'll be talking about bringing back the Comstock Laws. I'd like for that to be a hyperbolic notion, but it just doesn't seem that implausible anymore.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs