Gillette faces backlash and boycott over '#MeToo advert'

youtube video inside

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Gillette faces backlash and boycott over '#MeToo advert'

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 15, 2019 6:21 pm

It currently has 23,000 likes and 214,000 dislikes, at time of writing - and that's increasing all the time.

"For us, the decision to publicly assert our beliefs while celebrating men who are doing things right was an easy choice that makes a difference."

It's quite strange for a company to advertise their brand by pointing out flaws in some of the members of its target demographic, specifically those which are stereotypical failings. Imagine if weight watchers started advertising their products by showing videos of the obese, complete with a critical voiceover. Imagine if, say, Dove started advertising with videos of dirty women taking their kids to school in their dressing gowns, complete with critical voiceover. Admittadly not perfect analogies but still. Very strange :scratch:
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

Re: Gillette faces backlash and boycott over '#MeToo advert'

#2  Postby purplerat » Jan 15, 2019 7:34 pm

They are playing the long game much like Nike did with it's Colin Kaepernick ad. They are willing to lose a few customers - who let's face it tend to be older and poorer - in an attempt to be on the right side of history and hopefully endear a new generation of consumers to their product.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby laklak » Jan 15, 2019 8:13 pm

I'll boycott them. doesn't mean much though, I don't shave.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#4  Postby felltoearth » Jan 15, 2019 8:15 pm

I use Dollar Shave club. The amount the major players charge and spend on marketing is obscene.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 15, 2019 10:03 pm

Some of the youtube comments:

Jonathan Hick
15 minutes ago

How interesting it is that you would pontificate morality to men whilst standing upon the pedestal of 3rd-world child labor, Proctor & Gamble.

Amanda Hamilton
18 minutes ago

Frankly the most vitriolic bullying I've received in my life has been perpetrated by my fellow females, not males. Can P&G construct an advert targeting toxic femininity?

paoloforever2
17 minutes ago

So toxic masculinity is a problem?
Notice that this ridiculous campaign targets only traditional conservative men from the West who are mostly Christians.
Not one beep about Islamic men who can't wait to introduce their "toxic masculinity" upon us.

Anthony Soprano
18 minutes ago

Keep removing comments Gillette. Surely this will make people change their minds. "If only these people who we've called toxic rapists would go away, then it would be like the whole thing never happened." You are only lying to yourself! The damage is already done!
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#6  Postby Thommo » Jan 15, 2019 10:08 pm

That's some of the most reasonable Youtube commentary I've ever read. :scratch:
Thommo

Print view this post

#7  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 15, 2019 10:22 pm

Good innit?! I think that implies the advert is, er, a wrongun.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#8  Postby purplerat » Jan 15, 2019 10:25 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Good innit?! I think that implies the advert is, er, a wrongun.

If being on the opposite side of Youtube comments makes me wrong then I don't want to be right.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Animavore » Jan 15, 2019 10:29 pm

Interesting ad. Is all I have to say on that.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Sendraks » Jan 15, 2019 10:29 pm

felltoearth wrote:I use Dollar Shave club. The amount the major players charge and spend on marketing is obscene.

Same here, simply because the price for Gillette blades is obscene.

As for the advert, well played by Gillette. I doubt they were unprepared for vitirol from outraged snowflakes, given those same people are why the advert was made in the first place.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Animavore » Jan 15, 2019 10:31 pm

paoloforever2
17 minutes ago

So toxic masculinity is a problem?
Notice that this ridiculous campaign targets only traditional conservative men from the West who are mostly Christians.
Not one beep about Islamic men who can't wait to introduce their "toxic masculinity" upon us.

Interesting assumption made here. I didn't see that in the advert.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 15, 2019 10:33 pm

purplerat wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Good innit?! I think that implies the advert is, er, a wrongun.

If being on the opposite side of Youtube comments makes me wrong then I don't want to be right.

Perhaps you could start an ad campaign demonising the zeitgeistastic rubbish nature of youtube commentary. That'd be on-topic...you could source talent from Gillette for your smear campaign - they have experience!
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#13  Postby willhud9 » Jan 15, 2019 10:36 pm

My Facebook feed hasn't been much better with many of my conservative friends saying "there is no such thing as toxic masculinity."

I rebuked one of my liberal friends for saying, "People are surprised men are acting like little bitches over this issue" and asked him to tell me why his statement was ironic.

Seriously, this idea that masculinity and feminity are two distinct separate identities is just a load of sociological hogwash that needs reevaluating. I identify as a man and have behaviors that some would call masculine, but I do not go out of my way to seek to behave in a masculine manner. I behave in a manner I feel has decorum and respect towards others.

To this day one of my biggest stumbling blocks in life is healthily expressing my emotions. Growing up my male teachers, my father, my grandfather all told me crying was a sign of weakness, that I needed to man up, and that I could never be weak because my mom depended on me being strong. So when my dad died I rarely cried in public. I cried alone, but very quickly. When I become frustrated or stressed I bottle it up. I don't want people seeing me frustrated, unsure, or weak. That isn't manly, my subconsious tells me.

I for one was pleased with Gillette's ad and find it funny the precious snowflakes triggered by the advertisement are yelling that people are too sensitive nowadays.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Hermit » Jan 15, 2019 10:43 pm

FFS, those comments are a toxic brew. So now opposing bullying is A BAD THING, is it? This bunch of creeps are from the same mould as the ones who diddle the injectors of the Diesel engines in their pickup trucks so they blow the maximum possible amount of pollution into the atmosphere in order to indicate what they think of environmentalism.

Score is 139K up, 438K down now. Air brained MAGAs.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby willhud9 » Jan 15, 2019 10:44 pm

I use Gillette. Their Fusion 5 series provides me with a comfortable shave and long lasting blades. I usually get a thing of 8 blades for $20, and that lasts me 2 weeks. After this ad I will be happy to continue shopping with Gillette.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 15, 2019 10:45 pm

willhud9 wrote:I behave in a manner I feel has decorum and respect towards others...I for one was pleased with Gillette's ad and find it funny the precious snowflakes triggered by the advertisement...

:coffee:
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#17  Postby willhud9 » Jan 15, 2019 10:56 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
willhud9 wrote:I behave in a manner I feel has decorum and respect towards others...I for one was pleased with Gillette's ad and find it funny the precious snowflakes triggered by the advertisement...

:coffee:

My remark is using their language against them. It is a use of irony.

I have no respect for the disrespectful. Much as I have no tolerance for the intolerable. Much as I refuse to give a Nazi respect, I refuse to give incels and their ilk respect.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby felltoearth » Jan 15, 2019 11:11 pm

willhud9 wrote:I use Gillette. Their Fusion 5 series provides me with a comfortable shave and long lasting blades. I usually get a thing of 8 blades for $20, and that lasts me 2 weeks. After this ad I will be happy to continue shopping with Gillette.

8 blades lasts you two weeks!!?? Five blades last me a month minimum. That said I shave about every three days.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Thommo » Jan 15, 2019 11:13 pm

Hermit wrote:FFS, those comments are a toxic brew.

I sense that you are not in the habit of reading comments on Youtube if you think that's bad.

I wholeheartedly suggest that you maintain that habit.
Thommo

Print view this post

#20  Postby Hermit » Jan 15, 2019 11:18 pm

Thommo wrote:
Hermit wrote:FFS, those comments are a toxic brew.

I sense that you are not in the habit of reading comments on Youtube if you think that's bad.

I wholeheartedly suggest that you maintain that habit.

You sense wrongly. I always read all comments of all Youtube clips. Mind you, until now I have only ever watched clips featuring cute (excuse the tautology) kitties.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs