Gingrich demands Obama apologize for De Niro joke

About How America isn't ready for another white first lady again

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

Gingrich demands Obama apologize for De Niro joke

#1  Postby Wuffy » Mar 21, 2012 3:10 am

So. Gingrich decides to ask Obama to apologize for DeNiro making a joke and equates it to the Rush Limbaugh scandal.

Gingrich criticized the remarks as “inexcusable” and called on President Obama to personally apologize.

“It is exactly wrong, it divides the country,” the former House speaker said. “If people on the left want to talk about radio talk show hosts, then everybody in the country ought to hold the president accountable when somebody at his event says something as utterly, totally unacceptable as Robert De Niro said last night, and I call on the president to apologize for him.”

Yup, making a joke about wanting to keep the First lady as a black woman is the same as saying women are sluts and whores who want to get paid for sex and how it should be free to watch since it's subsidized through taxes or something... :coffee:

Edit: The link
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... -niro-joke
:oops:
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Gingrich demands Obama apologize for De Niro joke

#2  Postby Salinger » Mar 21, 2012 3:38 am

I heard about this, and I knew the right-wing noise machine would whip themselves into a frenzy over it. DeNiro should have said something like "We're not ready for a cunt in the White House." :coffee:
"Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a just man is also a prison." - Thoreau, Civil Disobedience
Salinger

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 21, 2012 3:40 am

Doesn't that mean that Newt should apologize for Rush first?
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby andyx1205 » Mar 21, 2012 3:50 am

I wish I could resurrect a Stalin zombie and control him to do my bidding.
"If a man who sees the essence of social and individual reality says what he sees...he is taken to be egocentric, aggressive and vain...[even if] these convictions are acquired by intense experience and thought..." - Erich Fromm
andyx1205

Name: Andy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby ginckgo » Mar 21, 2012 3:53 am

“I do want to say one thing on behalf of both my wife, and on behalf of Karen Santorum and on behalf of Ann Romney, and that is I think Robert De Niro is wrong,”

Somebody explain to the little salamander that the joke wasn't actually aimed at the wives.
Cape illud, fracturor

Mystical explanations are thought to be deep; the truth is that they are not even shallow. Nietzsche
ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Tortured_Genius » Mar 25, 2012 1:58 pm

Apparently De Niro has apologised: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17472323

What I found interesting was this quote:

However, Ann Romney - wife of Republican candidate Mitt Romney - told Piers Morgan, on CNN, that she took the remark for what it was - "a joke".

"In politics the fastest way to get in trouble is make a joke. So I think Robert De Niro just learned that."

I'm thinking this shows how the people selecting the real GOP candidate tackled the thorny "mormon issue". Mittens and his wife's main advantages are that they both appear to be moderately sane, in comparison to the batshit brigade put up as alternative candidates. FFS Amy Romney appears to be more politically astute than her husband's rivals for the nomination.

Who the hell selected these people?
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby chairman bill » Mar 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:Who the hell selected these people?

I wonder whether leaving the batshit insance states to vote last might help, or have all primaries at the same time. One problem seems to be that the potential exists for one or two candidates to build up a head of steam with some initial primary wins, and at some point people are faced with a two-horse race, when their preferred candidate is one of the others. Voting for a rational (relatively) candidate risks their least favourite front-runner to win, so forcing them to vote tactically against that person.

Romney/Santorum seems a case in point. Conservative states kick off the primaries, so the far-right, fundie fuckwits get voted for & draw ahead of the pack. By the time the less conservative states got involved, a vote for someone other than this pair was pretty much wasted. Imagine the process the other way about. Less conservative/religious states voting for relatively sane, non-fuckwitted candidates, would leave open the race for those more centralist, moderate Republican candidates. By the time Alabama & Mississipi voted, Santorum and his ilk could already be wasted votes.

Feel free to tell me I'm talking bollocks - it's just a top-of-the-head idea.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby kiore » Mar 25, 2012 3:00 pm

I thought De Niro's joke was fine.. It was even funny. What is wrong with these people, I don't think he should have apologized for it.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#9  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 25, 2012 4:28 pm

I was just about to post this David Mitchell blog, and then I came across this thread where it fits perfectly.

I'm sorry but this constant demand for public apologies really offends me

Newt Gingrich's faux outrage at a joke made by Robert De Niro is the latest evidence of a thriving apology extortion racket in public life

People in public life really need to grow up and start having the balls to stand by what they said rather than automatically apologizing because someone somewhere claimed offence (often on behalf of someone else). We don't want to end up in a situation where the only people who will say things and stick by them are extremists and idiots, and everyone else will bow down to the faux-offence brigade. I can understand a company doing it just to be on the safe side, but politicians, and even worse artists of one kind or another, really shouldn't be apologizing for something unless they genuinely accept the criticism. And obvious opportunist attempts should be treated with the contempt they deserve.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Weaver » Mar 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Bullshit is what this is.

In 2008, the headlines and pundits, especially on Faux News, were full of stories about "Is the country ready for a black First Lady". DeNiro highlighted this with a good joke. For people like Gingrich to take fake offense at it is crap - just shows how much they have to reach to find something to talk about, and how much of their entire political system revolves around outrage for imagined offenses.

Fucking bigots don't like it when people show how bigoted they are? Cry me a river.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs