Headteacher mocked on Twitter...

for claiming evolution is not a fact

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Headteacher mocked on Twitter...

#1  Postby campermon » Feb 03, 2016 6:58 pm

Oh dear,

"A primary school headteacher has been mocked on Twitter after claiming that evolution was “a theory” and there was “more evidence that the Bible is true”.

Christina Wilkinson, of St Andrew’s Church of England school in Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, made the remarks in a tweet responding to London headteacher Tom Sherrington, who urged teachers to stick to science when teaching the origins of life.

Wilkinson wrote: “Evolution is not a fact. That’s why it’s called a theory! There’s more evidence that the Bible is true.”"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/f ... are_btn_fb

:doh:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Headteacher mocked on Twitter...

#2  Postby Thommo » Feb 03, 2016 7:08 pm

I think that headteacher may end up being mocked on ratskep too. :tehe:
Thommo

Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 03, 2016 7:12 pm

Oswaldtwistle is a great name. Straight out of Harry Potter.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#4  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Feb 03, 2016 7:14 pm

Thommo wrote:I think that headteacher may end up being mocked on ratskep too. :tehe:

Keep It Real wrote:Oswaldtwistle is a great name. Straight out of Harry Potter.

Prophesy confirmed. Thommo is a god!! :shock:
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby campermon » Feb 03, 2016 7:17 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Thommo wrote:I think that headteacher may end up being mocked on ratskep too. :tehe:

Prophesy confirmed. Thommo is a god!! :shock:

:shock:

You blasphemize sir!

:fsm2:

(PBUH)
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Evolving » Feb 03, 2016 7:36 pm

That doesn't look a bit like Winnie the Pbuh.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#7  Postby campermon » Feb 03, 2016 7:38 pm

:lol:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby VazScep » Feb 03, 2016 7:51 pm

Just to play an opening move in the inevitable semantic debate:

The evolutionary biologist Prof Richard Dawkins said Wilkinson was misusing the word theory. “Scientists call evolution a theory only in a special scientists’ sense, which is NOT the same as the layman’s ‘tentative hypothesis’,” he said.
Fuck off. "Theory" is not some special technical word in science.

Driving instructors don't use "theory" in a special driving instructor's sense. The word "theory" just doesn't generally mean "tentative hypothesis" even colloquially. See also number theorists and pianists studying music theory.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Evolving » Feb 03, 2016 7:55 pm

I used to be a theoretical physicist. Then I graduated and became a real one.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#10  Postby TopCat » Feb 03, 2016 7:57 pm

Much as I enjoy lampooning creationists, I'm not sure we do ourselves any favours with terminology.

It's not obvious to me that it should necessarily be obvious to a primary school teacher that 'theory' has at least two distinct meanings - one that applies to a thoroughly tested and verified hypothesis that is falsifiable but has consistently failed to be falsified despite much effort, and one that applies to a mathematical framework that may go quite a long way to explaining, or at least formalising things, but seems to me to be quite different.

String Theory, for an example of the latter. Now I know nothing about string theory beyond the first few paragraphs of the Wiki article on it, and nothing at all about the maths underlying it, but I don't think it's been elevated to the same level of acceptance as General Relativity and Evolution.

Not that it excuses dear Christina from tweeting shit, but if she misunderstands the nature of 'theory' she wouldn't be alone.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Evolving » Feb 03, 2016 8:03 pm

I disagree, and I refer you to VazScep's contribution. Even a primary school teacher may have learned to drive, or encountered people who learn about harmony, sonata form and musical terms.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#12  Postby SkyMutt » Feb 03, 2016 8:46 pm

VazScep wrote:Just to play an opening move in the inevitable semantic debate:

[. . .] The word "theory" just doesn't generally mean "tentative hypothesis" even colloquially.

However, it can mean an unproved assumption : conjecture. When a Creationist says "it's just a theory," that is what I understand them to mean.
Serious, but not entirely serious.
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby Evolving » Feb 03, 2016 8:50 pm

Well, yes, it can mean that, and often does, but that is very obviously not the meaning used when we talk about the theory of evolution, or the theory of gravitation, or theoretical physics, or music theory, or driving theory. A creationist ought to know at least some of these alternative meanings.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#14  Postby TopCat » Feb 03, 2016 9:01 pm

Evolving wrote:I disagree, and I refer you to VazScep's contribution. Even a primary school teacher may have learned to drive, or encountered people who learn about harmony, sonata form and musical terms.

Well, I sense umbrage at a perceived slight aimed at primary school teachers, but none was intended. One of my best friends in fact, is the most fantastic primary school teacher I could ever imagine; I've seen her in action and she's utterly brilliant. But I expect she knows very little about theories, scientific or mathematical. Nor would she, of course, step outside her expertise to talk crap about things, but that's about judgement, which she has in spades.

That some primary school teachers are well educated in some particular detail isn't the same as all so being.

Equally, to use the fact that driving instructors all know the difference between practical driving, and the book learning that constitutes the 'theory test' - despite it being based on facts with the implicit link between fact and theory - proves nothing about whether 'theory' as pejoratively used by creationists is a common colloquial misunderstanding or not.

Not sure what you're disagreeing about. Have you never heard people say "my theory is this..." or "I have a theory..." when they manifestly mean that they have an idea, or a hunch?

Of course theory is colloquially misunderstood, just as it's often used relatively correctly (as in driving theory, or musical theory).

All I'm saying is that if even 'scientific' language uses the word to mean two distinct things, it's not surprising if laymen have an incomplete understanding of the term as well.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Evolving » Feb 03, 2016 9:05 pm

But these laymen are insisting that the word only has the one meaning, when they say that evolution is "only a theory". Their whole point only works if there is no other meaning.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#16  Postby VazScep » Feb 03, 2016 9:10 pm

TopCat wrote:Well, I sense umbrage at a perceived slight aimed at primary school teachers,
My dig is entirely at Dawkins. I don't think that scientists have a peculiar definition of "theory." I think their usage of the word as in "evolutionary theory" is a colloquial one.

I suspect what's happened is that a bunch of creationists came up with the soundbite "evolution is only a theory!". It then got repeated, and people like Dawkins have bought into the stupidity as much as everyone else by inventing the equally silly notion that "theory" is some technical word privy to scientists.

The term "theory" is as informal in science and mathematics as it is everywhere else (with mathematical logic being the only outlier)
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby TopCat » Feb 03, 2016 10:22 pm

VazScep wrote:
TopCat wrote:Well, I sense umbrage at a perceived slight aimed at primary school teachers,
My dig is entirely at Dawkins. I don't think that scientists have a peculiar definition of "theory." I think their usage of the word as in "evolutionary theory" is a colloquial one.

I suspect what's happened is that a bunch of creationists came up with the soundbite "evolution is only a theory!". It then got repeated, and people like Dawkins have bought into the stupidity as much as everyone else by inventing the equally silly notion that "theory" is some technical word privy to scientists.

The term "theory" is as informal in science and mathematics as it is everywhere else (with mathematical logic being the only outlier)

Yes, I completely agree, in the sense that in science and mathematics it's usually a given that the meaning intended is a reasonable one, so we all implicitly know what the other is talking about.

It's only when those that are determined to remain fuckwittedly ignorant start talking as if they aren't that the whole thing comes unravelled.

In that sense I also have some sympathy for Dawkins. It's hard to explain in one sentence that if you (and your audience) know what you're talking about, it's ok to use the word ambiguously, but if you - or they - don't, it's not.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby monkeyboy » Feb 03, 2016 11:30 pm

My brother got married in Oswaldtwistle! Tis a small place on the outskirts of Accrington of the Stanley fame. I grew up not far from both and did know them in my youth.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 04, 2016 4:53 am

Except of course, that the word "theory" is treated by scientists as having a particular meaning, when applied to the products of their research. A theory in the world of science, is a collection of postulates that has been tested to determine whether or not it is in accord with data, and found via such testing to be in accord with data. Which is light years away from the mendacious creationist attempt to portray a "theory" as some piece of made up shit.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Tero » Feb 04, 2016 5:03 am

She does not want to understand
1 theory
2 evolution
Even the pope gets it.
How American politics goes