Historic Imperial Gate of Hagia Sophia has been destroyed

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

#1  Postby aliihsanasl » May 23, 2022 6:49 pm

Last month some people destroyed Hagia Sophia's wooden door (they eat that wood) and now they're scratching its walls and collecting it to plastic bags to add their food at home.

Before it turn into mosque security wasnt allowing even using flash while photographing fresco and now this is the situation.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

Re: Historic Imperial Gate of Hagia Sophia has been destroyed

#2  Postby Spearthrower » May 24, 2022 1:19 am

More like 'slightly damaged'.

But eating bits of the walls? Man, religious people the world over are fucked in the head - it's always Poe's law when you hear something like this. It's so absurd it can't possibly be true, sounds like an ugly urban myth - but then we're talking about religious people... and such people do have an historic tendency to do the most insane shit for the most insane reasons.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby aliihsanasl » May 24, 2022 1:36 am

Spearthrower wrote:More like 'slightly damaged'.

But eating bits of the walls? Man, religious people the world over are fucked in the head - it's always Poe's law when you hear something like this. It's so absurd it can't possibly be true, sounds like an ugly urban myth - but then we're talking about religious people... and such people do have an historic tendency to do the most insane shit for the most insane reasons.

Meanwhile in Asia

Leader of feces-eating cult arrested after 11 dead bodies discovered during raid

Thai police raided the compound of a suspected cult leader in Chaiyaphum province on Sunday, discovering at least 11 bodies during the search. Local authorities were able to raid the compound after the group allegedly violated land encroachment laws and broke Covid-19 restriction laws.

Law enforcement had already been made aware of the group after allegations were shared that the community had been consuming the bodily fluids of its leader. After police made their way onto the camp grounds, police then discovered the remains of 11 bodies in coffins.

However, the group was only able to provide death certificates belonging to five of the 11 of the deceased. Police have ordered autopsies to be conducted to establish the causes of death of the bodies.

The suspected leader of the group has been detained for questioning, but before the arrest many of his followers attempted to stop police from arresting the elderly man during the raid.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#4  Postby chango369 » Jun 25, 2022 4:39 pm

FWIW the wood diet would be higher in fiber.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 30, 2022 3:33 pm

Doesn't surprise me at all. If you think about the batshit nonsense that still happens in nations that have strong education systems, protections against extremist behavior, and which (often) hold religious figures legally responsible for criminal actions... then just imagine how kooky it can get in a nation lacking those things.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs