Honour killings are morally justified

The festival of not so dangerous ideas

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Honour killings are morally justified

#41  Postby cavarka9 » Jun 27, 2014 12:48 am

igorfrankensteen wrote:This seems to be another example of a very common scenario I see repeated over and over. A basic challenge to a society which wants to be open to genuinely understanding and investigating all viewpoints, while still maintaining a core set of it's own values.

This one suffers the most common confusions as well. First, there's the titling of the theme of the group, "Dangerous Ideas," which the OP correctly points out, sets itself up for this exact kind of problem. As in, if you ARE going to claim to provide a space to actually examine "dangerous ideas," you are going to occasionally have to deal with actually dangerous ideas.

That in turn, leads directly to confronting the worry that some ideas are so destructive, that even to allow them to be calmly voiced, could be damaging to a society.

But THAT valid, and interesting concern, often gets smudged aside by the people who think it is necessary to prove their righteous fidelity to their opposition to such ideas, by shouting them down even before THAT concern is addressed.

And at that juncture, we arrive yet again, just as these players did, at the point where someone (genuinely or not) points out that righteously refusing to even hear the idea, demonstrates that some lofty claims of belief in Freedom of Speech really are just propaganda.

For myself, I recognize that giving a hearing to actual "dangerous ideas," can award them undeserved stature, simply by allowing those who speak them to be accorded the level of respect reserved for guest speakers. But then, this is what makes it a challenge worthy of praise, to actually fight for real freedom of speech and of ideas. It isn't the physical fighting for freedom that is tough (most of the time). It's the real work that these kinds of situations present to us that are tough.

I've directly witnessed a few similar situations myself. In some cases, it was true that the people who were going to make the presentation were, in fact, ingenuous slime-balls, intent on some sort of snow job, to weaken opposition to some really horrible things. Other times though, a real exploration for the sake of useful understanding of a subject area that we needed to know more about in order to fight against it, was prevented by the panic of the more self-righteous of the "paws over eyes" monkeys in our midst.

The article associated with this thread seems to suggest that the guy who was supposed to make the presentation was suspect. It's hard to be sure, because I've seen plenty of cases where someone after the fact did unjustifiably claim persecution or prejudice, but only because "that's what people do" in such situations. In other words, just because someone plays the race card in a knee-jerk fashion, for example, doesn't mean either that there was no racism, or that they were wrong to protest the decision.

what u say is interesting and has its merit but why give space to those who in a position of power will deny it to us?. Its not a charity shop, if they want to be heard, they must give us some space as well. Else we shall only become more and more softer to these likes and soon there is a apologist trade , if its not there to begin with.
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

#42  Postby OlivierK » Jun 27, 2014 1:47 am

Shrunk wrote:But maybe half a fuck? :)

:thumbup:

I've got half a one left over, but I wouldn't waste it on this tosser :lol:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#43  Postby mindhack » Jun 27, 2014 8:43 am

Corneel wrote:
mindhack wrote:Isn't "morally justified" pleonastic, as in, a tautology?
Nope. Some legally justified and economically justified actions could be morally questionable.

You seem to think that "morally questionable" is suddenly distinct from morality. If honour killings are indeed justified, how are they not also always moral? Don't you think legal and economical justifications, all justifications for behaviour, would also have to imply a moral justification?

To cut a long story short; why not just say: honour killings are justified. :)
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#44  Postby mrjonno » Jun 27, 2014 10:14 am

Everyone has their own morality and can justify to themselves anything, that's fine however at a society and legal level that's not how we work.

We have a legal system that allows a range of behaviour (of which honour killing is outside that range)
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Corneel » Jun 27, 2014 1:08 pm

mindhack wrote:
Corneel wrote:
Nope. Some legally justified and economically justified actions could be morally questionable.

You seem to think that "morally questionable" is suddenly distinct from morality.

Nope, I think that moral, legal and economical justification, though they might overlap, are distinct.

mindhack wrote:If honour killings are indeed justified, how are they not also always moral? Don't you think legal and economical justifications, all justifications for behaviour, would also have to imply a moral justification?

Infanticide might be economically justified when you have already a lot of children to feed and are quite poor. But most people would consider it morally questionable.
For actions that might legally justified but morally questionable see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

mindhack wrote:To cut a long story short; why not just say: honour killings are justified. :)
If this question is adressed to me: because I don't think they are (on any level).
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 28, 2014 12:32 pm

I don't know about that, but "honour killing" is certainly neoplastic, as in, a cancer to be rooted out of human society.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#47  Postby epepke » Jun 28, 2014 1:04 pm

cavarka9 wrote:what u say is interesting and has its merit but why give space to those who in a position of power will deny it to us?. Its not a charity shop, if they want to be heard, they must give us some space as well. Else we shall only become more and more softer to these likes and soon there is a apologist trade , if its not there to begin with.

Everyone seems to have an idea of what this guy was going to say. Maybe they are right, but I don't know what this guy was going to say or what he'd do or whatever. Maybe he would say what people expect him to say, but then let him say it, and let it be out in the open as an example.

Maybe most people are exactly like stereotypes, or they are morons, or something. Maybe it's only 1% of the time that they say anything surprising or interesting, just to pick a number out of a hat. I don't know. The headlines seem pretty predictable.

What I do know, however, is that the 1% or whatever of the time that people say something surprising and interesting are worth more than the remaining 99% of the time. When people are cut off like this on the basis of something as superficial as the title of the talk, then that 1% doesn't happen.

I've argued previously that honour killings are quintessentially moral acts. They are very bad, of course, but they exist in the moral sphere. The morality is so strong that they override normal human goodness, such as love of family. They are perfect examples of why morality, especially a morality embedded in any culture, is not to be trusted.

Of course, this requires the entirely obvious observation that almost all of morality consists of satisfying a desire to hurt other people in revenge for some perceived transgression, real or imagined. Where one finds the strongest moralities, one also finds the most remarkable abuses of other people. Where there is less stringent morality, people tend to get along a lot better.

That is a dangerous idea. People do not like to fess up to it. It goes against most ivory tower philosophical ideas about morality and ethics, which you will even see people as smart as Dan Dennett taking for granted.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#48  Postby Oeditor » Jun 29, 2014 3:48 pm

Could be that the organisers, not he, decided what to call the talk. That's the way I read the story. It's certainly a shame that there was an outcry. There would have been no objection at all, I'm sure, to a talk entitled "Mohammed was a criminal and a paedophile" or "Islam is lunacy of the first order". Not so much as a whisper.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby The Serpent » Jun 29, 2014 7:20 pm

Oeditor wrote:Could be that the organisers, not he, decided what to call the talk. That's the way I read the story. It's certainly a shame that there was an outcry. There would have been no objection at all, I'm sure, to a talk entitled "Mohammed was a criminal and a paedophile" or "Islam is lunacy of the first order". Not so much as a whisper.

They did propose the title and he agreed.
Religious traditions are the fault lines along which societies fracture when placed under stress. -- Sam Harris
The Serpent

Name: Taj Cassidy
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Shrunk » Jun 29, 2014 7:43 pm

Oeditor wrote:Could be that the organisers, not he, decided what to call the talk. That's the way I read the story.

I agree, that would be a shame.

It's certainly a shame that there was an outcry. There would have been no objection at all, I'm sure, to a talk entitled "Mohammed was a criminal and a paedophile" or "Islam is lunacy of the first order". Not so much as a whisper.

You think? There'd be a bloody huge outcry, with Badar himself likely leading the charge.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Hermit » Jun 30, 2014 2:14 am

...a non-Muslim giving a talk entitled "Honour killings are morally justified" would not have received the same degree of criticism...
You know that how?

Edited for clarification.
Last edited by Hermit on Jun 30, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#52  Postby OlivierK » Jun 30, 2014 7:24 am

Hermit wrote:
Shrunk wrote:...a non-Muslim giving a talk entitled "Honour killings are morally justified" would not have received the same degree of criticism...
You (pl.) know that how?

Holy blatant quotemine, Batman!
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Hermit » Jun 30, 2014 7:52 am

OlivierK wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Shrunk wrote:...a non-Muslim giving a talk entitled "Honour killings are morally justified" would not have received the same degree of criticism...
You (pl.) know that how?

You missed the bit I now bolded?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#54  Postby OlivierK » Jun 30, 2014 9:13 am

Hermit wrote:
OlivierK wrote:
Hermit wrote:
You (pl.) know that how?

No.

Edited to add: you're quoting Shrunk as if he'd made a claim, whereas he was simply stating that in order for Badar to claim islamophobia, then he would need to show that [the bit you quoted]. Asking "You know that how?" is to spectacularly miss the point.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Peter Brown » Jun 30, 2014 9:17 am

Morally, probably not, but morals are just concepts of behaviour so I suppose an open book of what is culturally ok. So when we look at the root, killing others, we know there isn't anywhere in the world that hasn't a legal code on allowance and circumstances to kill others.

I just think honour killings is just one more I'm offended excuse and being offended is no excuse.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#56  Postby Hermit » Jun 30, 2014 9:41 am

OlivierK wrote:
Hermit wrote:
OlivierK wrote:
Hermit wrote:You (pl.) know that how?

No.

Edited to add: you're quoting Shrunk as if he'd made a claim, whereas he was simply stating that in order for Badar to claim islamophobia, then he would need to show that [the bit you quoted]. Asking "You know that how?" is to spectacularly miss the point.

You, plural, is meant to indicate that I was continuing what Shrunk quoted. My apologies if that was not clear enough.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#57  Postby OlivierK » Jun 30, 2014 9:51 am

Fair enough. (I think. It's still not massively clear, to me at least.)
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#58  Postby mindhack » Jun 30, 2014 11:33 am

Corneel wrote:
mindhack wrote:
Corneel wrote:

You seem to think that "morally questionable" is suddenly distinct from morality.

Nope, I think that moral, legal and economical justification, though they might overlap, are distinct.

mindhack wrote:If honour killings are indeed justified, how are they not also always moral? Don't you think legal and economical justifications, all justifications for behaviour, would also have to imply a moral justification?

Infanticide might be economically justified when you have already a lot of children to feed and are quite poor. But most people would consider it morally questionable.
For actions that might legally justified but morally questionable see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

mindhack wrote:To cut a long story short; why not just say: honour killings are justified. :)
If this question is adressed to me: because I don't think they are (on any level).

Thanks for clarifying. I can see how they're distinct.

Oh, and of course I don't personally think honour killing are morally justified.
mindhack

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#59  Postby mindhack » Jun 30, 2014 11:36 am

Made of Stars wrote:

I don't know about that, but "honour killing" is certainly neoplastic, as in, a cancer to be rooted out of human society.

Yes, and a good place to start is trying to understand honour. There's something about honour and violence. :ask:
mindhack

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Shrunk » Jun 30, 2014 12:21 pm

OlivierK wrote:Fair enough. (I think. It's still not massively clear, to me at least.)

On the contrary, it is massively clear that the post is deceptive and misrepresents me as saying just the opposite of what I was saying. Inadvertent, most likely, but I'd still like it changed.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs