India Launches Spacecraft to Mars

while millions of children live in poverty

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: India Launches Spacecraft to Mars

#201  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 28, 2014 12:45 am

John Platko wrote:

While I think you fail to understand the broad way the trickle down term is used I have no interest in bickering over terms so I will once again modify my comment and replace the term trickle down with the phrase "a rising tide lifts all boats." Which is simply not true. And there's no reason to believe that it works any better to help people in desperate economic positions.

Sorry John, but no - you're just wrong.

First you tried to pin something on that didn't stick, now you've made up a new version. Neither are correct from an economics perspective. Your argument now is effectively that a bigger, more robust, and more diverse economy cannot translate to improvements in the living conditions for the people in that society. It's just nonsense.

John Platko wrote:However, we do seem to be having some communication difficulty and if you're attempting to communicate to me that your comments are about helping people in India who are already well educated and can fend for themselves being given a subsidy to improve their lives further, or provide for their pet projects, and in no way refers to the very poorest, then I'm not really interested in that discussion.

Well, fortunately that's also nothing to do with anything I said. It's almost like you're reading from another script.

John Platko wrote:
Oh my, I gather that your position is that the issues of poor people in India have nothing to do with anything pertinent in this thread. Do I have that right?

Goodness no - please at least try to respond to what I post. Clearly poverty has something to do with this thread as its in the OP.

What I've really very clearly been saying, and which surely can't be difficult to understand, is that the space program has nothing to do with poverty in India. How many times have I said "it's not either/or" - perhaps if you could respond to my points rather than ones you think I hold, we'd make some progress! ;)

John Platko wrote:
Ahh perhaps a bit of education on the subject will clear up this misunderstanding.

Ahh now I understand what's going on here - you're purporting to be in a position to lecture!

The fact that you entirely misrepresented everything I wrote, tried to dismiss my position by reference to an erroneous notion of economics, then fabricated a new one to maintain that argument even though you'd effectively got the whole thing wrong... and now you're going to give me an education on the space shuttle!

:grin:

POP!

John Platko wrote:Once upon a time we went to the moon and brought back some rocks. Everyone was all excited and proud for while, but as with many things, the excitement quickly wore off for most. Then the credit card bill arrived. :shock: And to most it seemed like a lot of money for a bunch of rocks, cool as they might be. To many, space travel didn't seem worth the $$$$$$$$$. NASA and its contractors were very :( until they got an idea. They figured that it was costing so much $$$$$$$$$ because we threw out the space vehicles after using them just once. So they came up with a mostly, partly, sort-of, reusable space vehicle that would make it more like driving a truck into space. It could haul a lot on each trip and best of all would be reusable. Fly it, bring it home, send it through the wash and off it goes again. Cheap, reliable, no need for aircraft carriers and such to fetch it out of the ocean. What a plan .... To make a long story short, it didn't work out that way at all. There were a lot of unforeseen costs in making a reusable space vehicle with the capabilities touted. And while the technical achievements were impressive, they pushed the possible to the limit and that required a lot of expensive maintenance - engines, heat shields, etc.. To make things worse, the pressure from unmet expectations of the program put so much stress on NASA and its contractors management that they started to make bad decisions- and people died :( . All in all, the space shuttle failed to meet its goals- by a lot. :whine:

Absolute bollocks. Your tailor made story is far from an education, except in make-believe. Do you think that passes muster here? And the nasty pseudo-accusation there shows that your motivation isn't in educating, but in promulgating cack.

Brought back some rocks? FFS, how lacking in vision are you? :lol:

The bit with the 'long story short' - try expanding it there if you want to put forward a coherent argument that doesn't seem to have just been displaced from your navel.

John Platko wrote:

There is international cooperation in many aspects of life, commerce, military, education, religion, etc. space cooperation is just another flavor of the same phenomenon.

It's the flag-ship for international cooperation.

John Platko wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
John Platko wrote:
I'm just suggesting that a better amazing achievement would be to end hunger- or at least put a dent in it.

??

No, I can't follow your argument at all.

On the one hand we have an actual real achievement of humanity, on the other we have one which still eludes us, which is extraordinarily complex, which is not a single issue but many, and is present in numerous sovereign nation states. How is the one (to go with the simplistic notion of it being a singular problem) we haven't achieved better than the one we have?

Is the eradication of poverty desirable? Yes.
Is it connected to space flight? No.

Exactly! Now we're getting somewhere. That's an excellent summary of the problem. There is a desire to eradicate poverty and space flight (well at least Mars space flight) is not connected to that goal. Ergo, money spent on Mars could be better spent.

And as you have been informed countless times, the notion that it is either/or is a fundamental misapprehension. We can do both. Your simplistic notions of economics are what keeps leaving you repeating the same erroneous argument over and over.

John Platko wrote:

But it's not an all or nothing type of situation. Feeding how ever many people $76m will feed means that many less people going hungry, and that matters- especially to them. Is this not obvious?

This is an awfully boring conversation when you are so ill-versed in the topic and you keep trying to be authoritative.

I already cited numbers. 400 million people. Do the math, John - stop talking out the wrong end of your digestive tract. $76m dollars for 400m people is a few dollars each.

So how long, would you estimate, that a few dollars would feed a person before they were hungry again?

And when they're hungry again the next day, we do it again, right? And again and again and again - that is not a solution to poverty, John - it's dealing with the symptoms, not the causes. And money will run out long before people stop being hungry.

Perhaps it has now sunk in. From what I've seen so far, I doubt it.

John Platko wrote:
We used Hitler's rocket team to help us get to the moon in a very big way and their track record for abusing people is well documented. It's a national disgrace as far as I'm concerned.

Well, at least you've shown your crackpot hand now John.

What a load of nonsensical wank. I can't believe you even find this site suitable when your arguments are so poorly conceived. Argumentum ad hitlerum! On the space shuttle! As a corollary to eradicating poverty! :lol: Well, I never expected that one, I have to say!

John Platko wrote:
Well, for example, if collectively scientists and engineers ignore risks and warnings which might put lives at undue risk because their character is such that they can't take the pressure put on them by other people due to their personal or collective character failures then people might die an avoidable death. And this happened at NASA, and it is well documented.

No, it's make-believe. You've cited not a thing in support of any of your contentions. Further, the people who worked on the design of the original shuttle were not those involved with the two shuttle disasters. You are fabricating a revisionist account of history.

And it still has nothing whatsoever to do with eradicating poverty.

John Platko wrote:And Von Braun and his cronies cared more about rockets and space then they did about the thousands who died building their designs in horrible conditions.

Your responses are pitiable.

John Platko wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
What does the nationality of some of the scientists have to do with it?

Not a sausage or even a bratwurst.

It's not the nationality, it's the specific Germans who were center stage at the Saturn V development.
I'm rather fond and amazed of the Germans who immigrated to the US and designed an built the early Martin steal string guitars. I could tell another little story if you require a history lesson on the early US space program and WHO did what and
WHO they were and WHERE they came from and WHAT they did there.

What wonders of fiction are in store for us next?

Your response was not a response.

John Platko wrote:
One could make that argument about anything that is unknown. I'm simply saying, let's get our priorities right. Feed, house, educate people, give them a decent standard of living with known resources or at least far less speculative resources than Mars might have and when our earthly house is in order, by all means, go explore Mars or wherever. (Although, I'm open to there being real measurable benefits from India's Mars program, like kids really cracking the books and getting interested in core math and science skills that can actually improve their lives and the lives of people around them- that is, as long as they don't grow up and want to use these skills on even bigger boondoggles in space.)

Our priorities are right. You have failed to make a case to the contrary. You don't understand economics, and you've bought into a crackpot account of history. That's what you're basing your argument on.

John Platko wrote:
I'm not sure how many people were inspired by the space shuttle program, certainly that's true of the early space program and the moon landing. US interest in the space shuttle rolled off pretty fast for most people. I doubt if most people knew when launches were taking place. Technical people were thrilled of course.

Launches were and still are watched all over the world, John. They're a source of considerable national pride for technical achievement.

John Platko wrote:And that reminds me of a course that's available on line which talks about all aspects of the space shuttle in depth with many of the actual people involved in the development. We're lucky to have this kind of information available, however there are other views on how "successful" the shuttle really was.

Of course there are other views, valid views too - not the crackpottery you've subscribed to and presented here.

Thanks! :cheers:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#202  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 28, 2014 1:09 am

A few rocks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shut ... plishments

Space Shuttle missions have included:

Spacelab missions[11] Including:
Science[11]
Astronomy[11]
Crystal growth[11]
Space physics[11]
Construction of the International Space Station (ISS)
Crew rotation and servicing of Mir and the International Space Station (ISS)
Servicing missions, such as to repair the Hubble Space Telescope (HST) and orbiting satellites
Manned experiments in low Earth orbit (LEO)
Carried to low Earth orbit (LEO):
The Hubble Space Telescope (HST)
Components of the International Space Station (ISS)
Supplies in Spacehab modules or Multi-Purpose Logistics Modules
The Long Duration Exposure Facility
The Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite
The Compton Gamma Ray Observatory
The Earth Radiation Budget Satellite
Carried satellites with a booster, such as the Payload Assist Module (PAM-D) or the Inertial Upper Stage (IUS), to the point where the booster sends the satellite to:
A higher Earth orbit; these have included:
Chandra X-ray Observatory
The first six TDRS satellites
Two DSCS-III (Defense Satellite Communications System) communications satellites in one mission
A Defense Support Program satellite
An interplanetary mission; these have included:
Magellan
Galileo
Ulysses
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#203  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 28, 2014 2:48 am

Yeah, except it was developed for NASA. Get that through your head. You enjoy a life today that would not have happened this way were it not for NASA and the Apollo program.

That's enough of your bullshit that space exploration is somehow mis-prioritized.

Kennedy knew this. You still do not. Probably never will.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#204  Postby BlackBart » Sep 28, 2014 8:36 am

hackenslash wrote:Gotta love tone-trolling...

Diarrhoea is acceptable but arse gravy isn't apparently. :coffee:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#205  Postby Loren Michael » Sep 28, 2014 9:26 am

There are vanity projects and then there are things that have broad and lasting impact. Someone mentioned the US investing in railroads rather than horses early in the thread; that's the kind of infrastructure investment that has a lot of payoff.

I'm not familiar with the relevant costs and benefits, but I tend to fall on the side that suggests that India should have pushed this money toward eliminating the ills of poverty. Investing in plumbing goes a long, long way toward that end.

My off-the-cuff issue with investment in space by India is that it's already been done by other countries that have a lot more advanced tech and infrastructure than India. I think that the opportunity cost to those countries isn't as great, and the benefits from those program (think: all the great stuff that NASA has given humanity) often aren't restricted to the countries that made the initial investment. That is, NASA has given to the world. More investment in NASA (or likewise technologically advanced organizations, like Space X) would be better, I think. Making a parallel NASA is useful, but I think it's maybe less useful, and there's still that tradeoff of not investing in toilets.
Loren Michael

Name: Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#206  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 28, 2014 10:49 am

That's a) rubbish.
b)selective attention given what spearthrower's been posting.
c)hypocritical in the extreme given how you often post.

BlackBart wrote:Diarrhoea is acceptable but arse gravy isn't apparently. :coffee:

I changed my mind - swearing here is OK sometimes IMO. I know you'll be immensely relieved to hear this.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#207  Postby John Platko » Sep 28, 2014 1:27 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Yeah, except it was developed for NASA. Get that through your head. You enjoy a life today that would not have happened this way were it not for NASA and the Apollo program.

That's enough of your bullshit that space exploration is somehow mis-prioritized.

Kennedy wasn't that interested in space, he was interested in winning the Cold War and getting to the moon first was what mattered to him. You can hear him explain this to NASA officials here:

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/ ... RIvvw.aspx

As for my lifestyle, the US military was a large driver for electronics but there were plenty of others. Going rock hunting on the moon did not play an essential role in that. But if you have some actual facts to present on the matter, please do.

Edit: let me give you some research help

http://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/tech_benefits.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 79377.html

Edit2

Here's another link. (Notice they don't take credit for integrate circuits.)

http://www.nasa.gov/50th/50th_magazine/benefits.html

Edit3: I found this. NASA article where they took credit for being an early adopter of ICs. I.e., they started using them in bulk while they were still so expensive that few could. But that's not inventing them. And as JFK makes clear, we only shelled out the big bucks to NASA so they could do this for mil/pol reasons.

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/solarsystem/Why_We_04.html

Edit 4:

Here's a short and sweet NASA article giving the early history of the IC.

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/ic-pg3.html

What they leave out is interesting, i.e. Who the other big customer for the early ICs was.

And there you have it, NASA making it clear that they were not responsible for inventing the IC.

Edit 5: This seems like a non biased history of the integrated circuit.

http://www.nobelprize.org/educational/p ... t/history/
Last edited by John Platko on Sep 28, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#208  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 28, 2014 1:31 pm

John Platko wrote:Going rock hunting on the moon did not play an essential role in that. But if you have some actual facts to present on the matter, please do.

rock hunting page on Wikipedia wrote:Space Shuttle missions have included:

Science[11]
Astronomy[11]
Crystal growth[11]
Space physics[11]
Servicing missions, such as to repair the Hubble Space Telescope (HST) and orbiting satellites
Carried satellites with a booster, such as the Payload Assist Module (PAM-D) or the Inertial Upper Stage (IUS), to the point where the booster sends the satellite to:
Two DSCS-III (Defense Satellite Communications System) communications satellites in one mission
Magellan
Galileo
Ulysses

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#209  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 28, 2014 1:32 pm

Keep It Real wrote:

That's a) rubbish.
b)selective attention given what spearthrower's been posting.
c)hypocritical in the extreme given how you often post.

BlackBart wrote:Diarrhoea is acceptable but arse gravy isn't apparently. :coffee:

I changed my mind - swearing here is OK sometimes IMO. I know you'll be immensely relieved to hear this.

Fap somewhere else. You've already shown you're incapable of addressing the points, pretending that you have established anything about my posts is farcical. You expressly stated you 'could but you won't' - well if you won't then stop sitting in the audience throwing muck.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#210  Postby John Platko » Sep 28, 2014 1:48 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
John Platko wrote:Going rock hunting on the moon did not play an essential role in that. But if you have some actual facts to present on the matter, please do.

rock hunting page on Wikipedia wrote:Space Shuttle missions have included:

Science[11]
Astronomy[11]
Crystal growth[11]
Space physics[11]
Magellan
Galileo
Ulysses

Ummm. Rock hunting was the Apollo program. The Space Shuttle was designed for near earth missions, I.e., less than 600 miles away. Rock hunting on the moon was a bit further away.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#211  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 28, 2014 2:00 pm

Space program.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#212  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 28, 2014 2:05 pm

Spearthrower wrote:Fap somewhere else.

Spearthrower wrote:(there's) No belligerence in my tone whatsoever - you're projecting.

Spearthrower wrote:You've already shown you're incapable of addressing the points, pretending that you have established anything about my posts is farcical.

What makes you think you know what I'm capable of? And I have already addressed your worst points. There are so many bad points to address however it seems a hopeless task - like trying to re-float the titanic or teach relativity to a three year old. It's plain for all to see that the fail of your posts is very large IMO. You're entitled to your own opinion however.

Spearthrower wrote:You expressly stated you 'could but you won't' - well if you won't then stop sitting in the audience throwing muck.

Where did I say I couldn't, or wouldn't at some point? Oh yeah that's right I didn't. Nice use of inverted commas.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#213  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 28, 2014 2:22 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
What makes you think you know what I'm capable of?

I don't know whether you are capable - you simply asserted you were capable of addressing my posts by telling me that you wouldn't address my posts.

Am I supposed to just believe you?

Keep It Real wrote:And I have already addressed your worst points.

No, you haven't. You are now lying. You expressly stated that you couldn't be bothered.

Keep It Real wrote:There are so many bad points to address however it seems a hopeless task - like trying to re-float the titanic or teach relativity to a three year old.

Right, because you're in such a lofty position of knowledge that it is only natural that you don't deign to engage in discussion on a discussion forum, and instead resort to meta-posts about how crap I am without being able to establish it.

Keep It Real wrote:It's plain for all to see that the fail of your posts is very large IMO.

Taken a survey, have you?

Clearly, this is not so as I have had several people 'like' my posts, had 3 separate people write to me by PM expressing agreement or appreciation of my posts, and the bulk of people in this thread apparently agree with my position.

But because KIR says so, it must be true.

Why are you even a member of Rational Skepticism when you can't engage in rational discussion - just unsubstantiated dismissal of everything? Worse, your contention now that you hold the consensus position is a product entirely of your own fantasy.

I welcome your arguments against my own, but this meta-argument about how shit my posts are and how obviously superior you are is nothing more than fappery.

Keep It Real wrote:You're entitled to your own opinion however.

I am so glad you deign to permit me my opinion.

Keep It Real wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:You expressly stated you 'could but you won't' - well if you won't then stop sitting in the audience throwing muck.

Where did I say I couldn't, or wouldn't at some point? Oh yeah that's right I didn't. Nice use of inverted commas.

Post 194 of the last page:

Keep It Real wrote: I could spend my time ripping them to shreds and pointing out how contradictory, misinformed and anaemic they are but I'm not sure I can be bothered. Maybe later. TTFN.

You could, but you won't.

As for the ever more transparent attempts to demean me in order to elevate yourself: there's nothing wrong with my grammar or my punctuation. Even if there was, your focus on it would be irrelevant in substantiating anything about the content of my posts. Like the tone-trolling, it would just be an attempt to restake the discussion somewhere else - presumably because you can't actually address my points and instead want to poo-poo them by proxy.

Once again, another post which fails to address a single point raised. I would say it's more likely that people are in agreement that your posts are intentionally derailing so you don't have to address the points you claim are diarrhoea.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#214  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 28, 2014 5:10 pm

John Platko wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The_Metatron wrote:Yeah, except it was developed for NASA. Get that through your head. You enjoy a life today that would not have happened this way were it not for NASA and the Apollo program.

Kennedy wasn't that interested in space, he was interested in winning the Cold War and getting to the moon first was what mattered to him. You can hear him explain this to NASA officials here:

As for my lifestyle, the US military was a large driver for electronics but there were plenty of others. Going rock hunting on the moon did not play an essential role in that. But if you have some actual facts to present on the matter, please do.

Edit2

Edit3: I found this. NASA article where they took credit for being an early adopter of ICs. I.e., they started using them in bulk while they were still so expensive that few could. But that's not inventing them. And as JFK makes clear, we only shelled out the big bucks to NASA so they could do this for mil/pol reasons.

Edit 4:

What they leave out is interesting, i.e. Who the other big customer for the early ICs was.

And there you have it, NASA making it clear that they were not responsible for inventing the IC.

You do like your straw men, don't you?

No one here but you said NASA invented the integrated circuit. What they did do was enable its development.

This banter is pointless. You don't get this, you don't want to get it. So, don't get it. Who gives a shit? You are still bothering us with technology spun off from America's space program. Whether you accept that is irrelevant. You're perfectly entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. This is like arguing if the number 12 is larger than 3.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#215  Postby John Platko » Sep 28, 2014 6:01 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
John Platko wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Edit2

Edit 4:

You do like your straw men, don't you?

No one here but you said NASA invented the integrated circuit. What they did do was enable its development.

If the goal was to "enable" ic technology, (whatever that might mean), it would have been far more efficient to just dump the money off at TI and Fairchild, like the American Military did.

The truth of the matter is that NASA wasn't a very good "enabler" for IC technology because their design cycles were so slow. By the time Apollo launched the technology was obsolete. In the last days of the Space Shuttle NASA was reduced to scouring Ebay to find stockpiles of junk parts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/12/us/fo ... -ebay.html

Perhaps you'll say "that's how NASA enabled the Internets", next - you seem to have drank the Tang!

This banter is pointless. You don't get this, you don't want to get it. So, don't get it. Who gives a shit? You are still bothering us with technology spun off from America's space program. Whether you accept that is irrelevant. You're perfectly entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. This is like arguing if the number 12 is larger than 3.

NASA being one of the earlier adopters of ICs because they were given a blank check for military/political reasons in no way means they enabled IC technology to develop as it has today. As I have shown, the IC was invented independently from NASA and there's no reason to believe that IC technology would have withered on the vine if NASA didn't have plans to go to the moon. Before the first Apollo launched, the technology was ripe enough for the computer industry. And the military was a very good wet nurse!

I am presenting facts and links which support them. What do you offer to support your "facts"?
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#216  Postby BlackBart » Sep 28, 2014 10:59 pm

Keep It Real wrote:

Your opinion was of no consequence either way, but at least we know exactly how much credence to give your next feedback rant. :thumbup:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#217  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 29, 2014 2:45 am

So, in John's world, NASA is under the Department of Defense.

Listen, John. The early ICs cost a thousand bucks apiece. NASA was consuming a third of the global supply, for years.

IEEE Global History Network:
Early ICs were much more expensive than circuits made from individual transistors, with the first chips costing about $1000 each in 1960. By 1963, demand created by the Apollo program had driven the price down to about $25. This helped other industries find applications for ICs, and use of the technology spread.

Now, toddle off and go read that. Then come back here thinking you have some sort of gotcha. Before you do, you better realize the timing of the Minuteman program and the guidance computers used. Think D37C guidance computer in Minuteman III.

I worked on command and control of Minuteman II and III (LGM-30F and G weapons systems), along with the LG-118A Peacekeeper missiles, John. Between the two of us, who do you think might just know a little bit more about ICBMs than the other?

This is not particularly the end-all, by any means. There exist hundreds of innovations that simply did not exist before Apollo. These innovations were created to solve problems that had not previously existed. People, at least some people, have an ability to learn from solving problems, and realize the solutions to those problems have other applications.

You insist on an either/or proposition with space exploration and soup kitchens, and positively revel in the ignorance of the benefits we enjoy, to this day, as a result of that exploration. This will forever handicap you, and those whom you can convince your crap is correct.

So tell us, John. What would you do instead? You think you have a better idea? Let's have it.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#218  Postby John Platko » Sep 29, 2014 2:03 pm

The_Metatron wrote:So, in John's world, NASA is under the Department of Defense.

Listen, John. The early ICs cost a thousand bucks apiece. NASA was consuming a third of the global supply, for years.

IEEE Global History Network:
Early ICs were much more expensive than circuits made from individual transistors, with the first chips costing about $1000 each in 1960. By 1963, demand created by the Apollo program had driven the price down to about $25. This helped other industries find applications for ICs, and use of the technology spread.

Now, toddle off and go read that. Then come back here thinking you have some sort of gotcha. Before you do, you better realize the timing of the Minuteman program and the guidance computers used. Think D37C guidance computer in Minuteman III.

I worked on command and control of Minuteman II and III (LGM-30F and G weapons systems), along with the LG-118A Peacekeeper missiles, John. Between the two of us, who do you think might just know a little bit more about ICBMs than the other?

This is not particularly the end-all, by any means. There exist hundreds of innovations that simply did not exist before Apollo. These innovations were created to solve problems that had not previously existed. People, at least some people, have an ability to learn from solving problems, and realize the solutions to those problems have other applications.

You insist on an either/or proposition with space exploration and soup kitchens, and positively revel in the ignorance of the benefits we enjoy, to this day, as a result of that exploration. This will forever handicap you, and those whom you can convince your crap is correct.

So tell us, John. What would you do instead? You think you have a better idea? Let's have it.

Yes, NASA being an early adopter helped bring the price down of early ICs as most of the links I posted talked about in one way or another. That"s the normal course of all technological development. But as I'm sure you realize, just because early prototypes have a high production cost it doesn't mean companies like TI and Fairchild were about to give up on the idea of the IC. Especially when they had the US Military as a sugar daddy. Here's another perspective from TI.

http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/company/his ... rst_ic.htm

Kilby and Charles Phipps, a key manager in TI�s strategic planning and marketing of integrated circuits, developed a good working relationship with Richard D. Alberts, chief of the transistor section at the Air Force Electronic Components Laboratory in Dayton, Ohio. Phipps described Alberts as �somewhat of a maverick,� but someone who �did have the technical foresight and imagination to see where he was going, and who relished twisting the tails of the other services and some of the people above him in the Air Force.� Alberts was intrigued by Kilby�s concept of silicon integrated circuits, and he defied established Air Force priorities by funding a small TI research program.

Previously, Kilby had faced the task of making each integrated circuit by hand. But Alberts circumvented Air Force policies a second time, providing additional funding for TI to research manufacturing processes. Willis Adcock, whose research and development lab produced the first integrated circuits, pointed out,
�I think we would have dropped the program had it not been for the Air Force�s support.� Alberts made it possible for TI to develop a pilot manufacturing line, which made a handful of devices that were ultimately sold for $450 apiece.

And while I agree that the Apollo program's use of early ICS aided the very young industry ( one can also wonder about some drag effects it had on the industry), that's not the essential claim you made, which was:

It seems to me that along the way you made a rather large displacement of the goal post you set up.

Extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence. You need to demonstrate more than:

This helped other industries find applications for ICs,

You need to supply evidence for:

Yeah, except it was developed for NASA. Get that through your head. You enjoy a life today that would not have happened this way were it not for NASA and the Apollo program.

What is your evidence for the actual claim that you made?
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#219  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Your annoying posts. That's my evidence.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#220  Postby John Platko » Sep 29, 2014 3:07 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Your annoying posts. That's my evidence.

Not much to hang one's hat on, is it? :lol:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs