It’s Her Fault She Was Gang Raped

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

It’s Her Fault She Was Gang Raped

#1  Postby Teague » Mar 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Good points by Cenk
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: It’s Her Fault She Was Gang Raped

#2  Postby Blackadder » Mar 04, 2015 5:38 pm

I read about this story on the BBC website this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31698154

I could not believe what I was reading. All I can feel for people like this is utter revulsion and disgust.

:nono:
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby monkeyboy » Mar 04, 2015 5:52 pm

Saw an article on this last night.

Fully agree with the commentary. These attitudes, disgusting to hear as they are, need airing. They need to be heard, dissected, exposed for the morally repugnant shit that they are and just hopefully, the message might get through that there truly is no excuse for rape. None. Nothing makes rape acceptable.
I'm saddened that they will execute this guy for the rape. I'd sooner they drummed it home that only he and his accomplices were responsible for their actions and that they have abused and killed another person in the most vile and degrading manner due to their own inadequacies and immorality and that sitting in prison for the rest of their lives, they will have to live with that fact.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby cavarka9 » Mar 04, 2015 6:03 pm

This is now a big issue in this country, the govt banned the documentary, see it as damaging to tourism industry!.Also they see it as wrong to allow others to give prisoners such attention. There are probably many criminals around the world who'll defend their actions. But yes there is a mindset issue which needs to be tackled in schools.
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

#5  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Mar 04, 2015 6:08 pm

monkeyboy wrote:I'm saddened that they will execute this guy for the rape.

I'm not. Fuck him.

I hope he ponders deeply on his impending doom up to until the very second it arrives.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby monkeyboy » Mar 04, 2015 6:09 pm

cavarka9 wrote:this is now a big issue in this country, the govt banned the documentary, see it as damaging to tourism industry!.

Not sure how that's going to help given that foreign tourists are going to be able to view it. I would have thought it better to be shown and discussed openly, hopefully challenging the thoughts of any like minded potential rapist before he gets around to acting them out. Only by challenging the deeply misogynistic attitudes held by some whereby they can blame a young woman for daring to be out at night on her way home from a movie for her own fatal and brutal gang rape, might things improve for future generations.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7  Postby monkeyboy » Mar 04, 2015 6:22 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:I'm saddened that they will execute this guy for the rape.

I'm not. Fuck him.

I hope he ponders deeply on his impending doom up to until the very second it arrives.

He only feels sorry for himself for being in this situation. However, its all the victim's fault in his mind, if she hasn't blah blah blah, he wouldn't have.......(not repeating the repugnant shit)

The true punishment comes when he experiences some genuine empathy for his victim along with remorse. That's not going to happen by leaving him in a cell until they day he hangs.
I've worked with offenders and seen the shift from arrogant justification of their actions to the hammer blow of realisation of just what amount of harm their actions have had and the acknowledgement that they, and only they, were responsible for their actions. We've had to put some guys on suicide watch following that switch before now. It is a powerful mind flip. You never know, he might be back in the follow up to the documentary as a humble but outspoken critic of his former attitude and actually do some good in joining the battle against people who hold the beliefs he had when he raped and killed. If not, just leave him quietly locked away where he can't harm another woman again.

I don't agree with the death penalty.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#8  Postby cavarka9 » Mar 04, 2015 6:31 pm

monkeyboy wrote:
cavarka9 wrote:this is now a big issue in this country, the govt banned the documentary, see it as damaging to tourism industry!.

Not sure how that's going to help given that foreign tourists are going to be able to view it. I would have thought it better to be shown and discussed openly, hopefully challenging the thoughts of any like minded potential rapist before he gets around to acting them out. Only by challenging the deeply misogynistic attitudes held by some whereby they can blame a young woman for daring to be out at night on her way home from a movie for her own fatal and brutal gang rape, might things improve for future generations.

all of that is fine, but liberal societies are only possible with liberal economy. I'll bet there will be more rapes in poor economies.
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Doubtdispelled » Mar 04, 2015 6:44 pm

monkeyboy wrote:Not sure how that's going to help given that foreign tourists are going to be able to view it.

Delhi rape documentary-maker appeals to Narendra Modi over broadcast ban

Shortly before her statement was released, the parliamentary affairs minister, M Venkaiah Naidu, declared: “We can ban the film in India. But this is an international conspiracy to defame India. We will see how the film can be stopped abroad too.”

India’s home minister, Rajnath Singh, told parliament that the government would ensure that “under no condition should this documentary be telecast … no one should show it on electronic media.”

The government would also block the dissemination of the film on any other platform, such as a web portal or on social media, he said.

Singh assured parliament that the Indian government was already exploring ways of stopping the worldwide broadcast. A notice had been sent to BBC4, which will show the film on Sunday in Britain, he said. “We will not allow anyone to leverage such unfortunate incidents [the 2012 Delhi rape] for commercial benefits,” he added.

However, a BBC spokeswoman confirmed that India’s Daughter would be broadcast as planned. “This harrowing documentary, made with the full support and cooperation of the victim’s parents, provides a revealing insight into a horrific crime that sent shockwaves around the world and led to protests across India demanding changes in attitudes towards women,” she said.

“The film handles the issue responsibly and we are confident the programme fully complies with our editorial guidelines. The BBC will broadcast Storyville – India’s Daughter, in the UK on BBC4. The documentary has the backing of a number other public service broadcasters; however, the BBC is only responsible for transmission of the film in the UK.”

“We will not allow anyone to leverage such unfortunate incidents [the 2012 Delhi rape] for commercial benefits,”

Commercial benefits? But they want to stop its broadcast because it will 'damage tourism'? :eh:
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#10  Postby cavarka9 » Mar 04, 2015 6:55 pm

monkeyboy wrote:

politicians are not known to think in this sort of manner. govt says laws have been violated, I dont think govt or jail authorities would have given permission to publish the criminal's narrative. I am surprised that it was even allowed. I dont think the film maker had been entirely honest either. They were supposed to show the entire unedited video first. I dont think documentary is the problem, the views of the rapist being given a platform is angering people more than anything.Its a misplaced anger and they are running helter skelter.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Doubtdispelled » Mar 04, 2015 7:04 pm

cavarka9 wrote:They were supposed to show the entire unedited video first.

............Udwin denied this. She said she had taken the full 16 hours of “raw, unedited footage” to the jail, but a three-member review committee, after watching it for three hours, told her: “We can’t sit through all this, it’s too long.”

“So I submitted an edited version which was cleared,” she said.

cavarka9 wrote:the views of the rapist being given a platform is angering people

Why?
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#12  Postby cavarka9 » Mar 04, 2015 7:12 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:

............Udwin denied this. She said she had taken the full 16 hours of “raw, unedited footage” to the jail, but a three-member review committee, after watching it for three hours, told her: “We can’t sit through all this, it’s too long.”

cavarka9 wrote:the views of the rapist being given a platform is angering people

Why?

In which case the clearing committee will be fired from their jobs if not already done.also one has to see if the cleared edited version is same as the one released or not. Its a sort of trauma which people do not want to hear. it was a case people deeply connected with, as long as that person breathes it will be a collective trauma and the video will bring back the trauma. Also the title India's daughter seems to make people suspicious as it is similar to a book called mother India ,showing India in poor light during India's struggle for freedom against british.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Doubtdispelled » Mar 04, 2015 7:15 pm

And this I don't understand at all...

Delhi rape convict's statement forces Rajya Sabha adjournment

The rajya Sabha was adjourned for 15 minutes after women MPs led by Samajwadi Party MP Jaya Bachchan stormed the well of the house demanding action against Tihar jail authorities for allowing an interview of one of the perpetrators of the December 16 gangrape.

The women parliamentarians were later joined by their male colleagues from the opposition.

" We don't need your crocodile tears,"Ms. Bachchan said to the BJP MPs in the treasury Benches of the house.

Why would these Indian women object to anyone publicising the terrible things this man has to say? Would I need to be Indian woman to understand their point of view?

:scratch:
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#14  Postby Briton » Mar 04, 2015 7:18 pm

monkeyboy wrote:

I don't but I still don't feel sorry for him.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby monkeyboy » Mar 04, 2015 7:22 pm

Sounds more like embarrassment at the bad publicity this case has brought to india and an attempt to make it go away by attempting to brush it firmly under the carpet. Unfortunately, the world knows what's under there already.
Now if they could move onto addressing the attitudes which have led to multiple episodes of rapes and murders of women, perhaps India's ministers wouldn't need to worry about their carpets beginning to look like a map of the Himalayas!
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#16  Postby cavarka9 » Mar 04, 2015 7:24 pm

monkeyboy wrote:Sounds more like embarrassment at the bad publicity this case has brought to india and an attempt to make it go away by attempting to brush it firmly under the carpet. Unfortunately, the world knows what's under there already.
Now if they could move onto addressing the attitudes which have led to multiple episodes of rapes and murders of women, perhaps India's ministers wouldn't need to worry about their carpets beginning to look like a map of the Himalayas!

politicians dont get embarrassed, atleast not Indian ones. They are more into money .
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#17  Postby cavarka9 » Mar 04, 2015 7:26 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:And this I don't understand at all...

Delhi rape convict's statement forces Rajya Sabha adjournment

The rajya Sabha was adjourned for 15 minutes after women MPs led by Samajwadi Party MP Jaya Bachchan stormed the well of the house demanding action against Tihar jail authorities for allowing an interview of one of the perpetrators of the December 16 gangrape.

The women parliamentarians were later joined by their male colleagues from the opposition.

" We don't need your crocodile tears,"Ms. Bachchan said to the BJP MPs in the treasury Benches of the house.

Why would these Indian women object to anyone publicising the terrible things this man has to say? Would I need to be Indian woman to understand their point of view?

:scratch:

samajwadi party is patriarchal , misogynistic to the core. Its leader said on the issue of rapes " boys will be boys".
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#18  Postby r.c » Mar 04, 2015 7:26 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:

Why?

Activists, however have pointed out that there are several problems with the framing of the documentary and that Udwin's 'white-saviour-perspective' in the film, needs to be rejected.
In a piece on DailyO women's right activist and Secretary at the All India Progressive Women's Association Kavita Krishnan has argued that Udwin's documentary seems to re-invoke patriarchal notions of how women are just daughters, mothers or sisters when it comes to leading the fight against rape, a notion that activists and women say needs to be rejected.
She writes, "Hailing Indian women as 'India's daughters' is something India's patriarchs including Indian government's and the most anti-feminist forces in India have always done. Why does a global campaign against gender violence do the same?"
She also points out that based on that when it comes to discussing gender violence in India the cause is not helped by arguing that "India's 'backwardness' is the problem; or that gender violence is 'worse out there in India'".
She notes: "What we're saying is that the global campaign saying rape is an Indian problem, is racist. Rape and rape culture are global problems; there are millions of Mukesh Singhs in every country, including India. What we're saying is that it doesn't help Indian women to bypass or short-cut the legal appeals process and replace it by a mob trial by media."

More here

IMO there are two reasons for why people are expressing anger against the documentary and unfortunately it comes from both the left and the right.

1. The movie was made by a foreigner. How dare a white woman hold up a mirror and point out the flaws in our country. This is mostly from the people of the right who feel that their national pride is hurt when you show India in a bad light. However, as often it is the case with people wanting to ban works of art, literature etc. they haven't even watched it. The documentary according to the film maker does no such thing. If anything the reason why she came to India to make the film was because she was overwhelmed by the protests following the gang rape.

I came here out of love for India, and because India had led the world by example in the unprecedented protests of its courageous men and women who came out on the streets to fight for my rights as a woman.

India should be embracing this film - not blocking it with a knee jerk hysteria without even seeing it. This was an opportunity for India to continue to show the world how much has changed since this heinous crime; sadly, the FIR and the banning of the film will see India isolated in the eyes of the world. It's a counter productive move. Whoever is behind this - please see the film and then come to a conclusion.

More

2. The second reason for the opposition to the documentary is that people feel that the movie provides a platform to the convicts. It is allowing him to air his opinions and provide a justification for what he has done.

Indian authorities ordered television stations Tuesday not to broadcast a documentary about a gang rape on a New Delhi bus in which one of the attackers blames the victim and says she could have avoided being killed if she had not fought back, a government official said.
The order followed an outcry over giving a convicted prisoner a nationwide platform to express repugnant views about a horrific crime that shocked Indians and prompted hundreds of thousands to take to the streets in protest. In response to the 2012 attack, India's government rushed through legislation doubling prison terms for rapists to 20 years and criminalizing voyeurism, stalking and the trafficking of women

More
" By virtue of being old, nothing necessarily is good; nor is anything unacceptable by virtue of being new; The wise accept only after examining, while the fools go by others' understanding."
r.c

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby monkeyboy » Mar 04, 2015 7:29 pm

Briton wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:

I don't but I still don't feel sorry for him.

Not sure I said that I felt remotely sorry for him. I'm saddened that the death penalty is being used. He won't understand why what he did was wrong properly if he dies with his current attitude. He'll just carry on feeling sorry he was caught and treated so harshly when it was all her fault, in his mind. That is what saddens me. The thinking behind this crime will not be changed one jot by hanging him and trying to simply forget it happened.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Doubtdispelled » Mar 04, 2015 7:29 pm

cavarka9 wrote: it was a case people deeply connected with

Yes, and I understand that the reaction of the people of India was what prompted the film-maker to embark on the project. In the BBC piece linked she said
There was something momentous about their presence and perseverance - reminiscent to me of the crowds that had thronged Tahrir Square in Cairo - a gathering of civil society that demanded a conversation that was long overdue.

It occurred to me that, for all its appalling record of violence against women and relentless rapes, here was India leading the world by example. I couldn't recall another country, in my lifetime, standing up with such tenacity for women, for me. And I knew at once that I simply had to use whatever talents and skills I had, to amplify their cries of "enough is enough!" which were reverberating across the whole world.

so it is as much about the people themselves as it is about the rapists, or at least that is how I read her intention.

cavarka9 wrote:Also the title India's daughter seems to make people suspicious as it is similar to a book called mother India ,showing India in poor light during India's struggle for freedom against british.

Then it is perhaps an unfortunate choice of title. Is it the case then that people do not want this man's words to be allowed to 'show India in a poor light', even if suppression means that nothing will change for the women of India, or conversely that publication may lead to change for the good of all?
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs