Jeffrey Epstein’s connections to Donald Trump and Bill Clint

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Jeffrey Epstein’s connections to Donald Trump and Bill Clint

#161  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 14, 2019 5:24 am

laklak wrote:
I do SO hope somebody gets pulled up. I don't really care who - Shillary, Drumpf, Prince Andy. We haven't heard the wheels of the tumbrels in far too long.

MK has a song for nearly every lugubrious occasion:

Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Germaine D. Scutcheon
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#162  Postby Blip » Aug 14, 2019 6:08 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
All members, dial back the comments about one another, please.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#163  Postby aban57 » Aug 14, 2019 8:05 am

Spearthrower wrote:

Yeah, we already did that 4 pages back:

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/news- ... l#p2709557

Of course, to most people 'unanswered questions' means just that. To some of us though, unanswered questions is basically taken as a license to pretend that our assertions are validated.

That's what we call an "unwarranted belief".
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#164  Postby Blip » Aug 14, 2019 10:20 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Several posts are now in a more appropriate home here.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#165  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Ruled suicide by hanging:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/ ... de-1466723

Me, I'm still waiting for my ticket to get here so I can go see for myself if he's a hologram or not.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#166  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Aug 17, 2019 6:04 pm

I've got my poking stick ready.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#167  Postby The_Piper » Aug 17, 2019 6:13 pm

Epstein's lawyers want to do their own investigation, according to NPR.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#168  Postby Alan C » Aug 17, 2019 11:43 pm

Didn't they also hire defence lawyers for themselves?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#169  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 16, 2019 11:32 am

What a sniveling piece of crap Andrew showed himself to be.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50431163

Addressing his decision to stay with Epstein following the American's first conviction, Prince Andrew said: "That's the bit that… as it were, I kick myself for on a daily basis because it was not something that was becoming of a member of the Royal Family and we try and uphold the highest standards and practices and I let the side down, simple as that."

He let the royal family down. Oh no! That's supposed to be the vital quantity here? Not whether he sexually abused minors.

Challenged on his decision to stay at the home of a convicted sex offender, the prince said: "It was a convenient place to stay.

"I mean I've gone through this in my mind so many times. At the end of the day, with a benefit of all the hindsight that one can have, it was definitely the wrong thing to do.

"But at the time I felt it was the honourable and right thing to do and I admit fully that my judgement was probably coloured by my tendency to be too honourable but that's just the way it is."

It was a convenient place to stay, but I've been tormented by that decision because it was wrong, but it was honourable to stay in that convenient place, and if you're going to charge me with anything, it's that's I'm just too darn honourable - guilty as charged!

Hang him out to dry.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#170  Postby Fallible » Nov 16, 2019 11:56 am

I don’t get what’s supposed to be honourable about it.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#171  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 16, 2019 1:24 pm

Fallible wrote:I don’t get what’s supposed to be honourable about it.

You're missing the take-away here, Fall... if he's guilty of anything, it's that he's just too damn honourable.

But you had your hand round a young girl's waist and you're saying you never met her.

I'm just riddled with honour; positively wracked with it. It's quite a burden to carry, I assure you!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#172  Postby Fallible » Nov 16, 2019 1:42 pm

No, I got that. The first time I saw him saying it, I was immediately put in mind of an interview candidate asked to name their biggest flaw - ‘I’m just too hard-working’. But at least that reply fits the context of being at a job interview. Where does honour fit into choosing to stay at someone’s house?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#173  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Fallible wrote:No, I got that. The first time I saw him saying it, I was immediately put in mind of an interview candidate asked to name their biggest flaw - ‘I’m just too hard-working’. But at least that reply fits the context of being at a job interview. Where does honour fit into choosing to stay at someone’s house?

I'm not sure that you heard me-as-Prince-Andrew... honourable... it's that damn honourableness. My biggest flaw is that I am not always aware of just how honourable I am. No, my biggest flaw is that I'm so honourable in my judgment of how honourable I am that it sometimes obscures my awareness of just how honourable I am. Did I mention the honourableness?

It's obviously subtext that of course he wouldn't fiddle with underage girls, because that would be dishonourable, and he's nothing if not... ok, we all got the point! :lol:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#174  Postby Fallible » Nov 16, 2019 1:56 pm

Yeah, but...how is staying at someone’s house honourable? I can only think it’s what you say, and he knew he wanted to get the word ‘honourable’ into the interview somehow, and just plonked it in at some point. He might as well have just run into the room and shouted ‘honourable!!’
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#175  Postby newolder » Nov 16, 2019 2:02 pm

Fallible wrote:Yeah, but...how is staying at someone’s house honourable? I can only think it’s what you say, and he knew he wanted to get the word ‘honourable’ into the interview somehow, and just plonked it in at some point. He might as well have just run into the room and shouted ‘honourable!!’

A slip of the tongue as he meant to say it was an honour... "It was an honour to stay in the house overnight - at home I have to sleep with the corgis in the dog pen." :scratch: :dunno:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#176  Postby Thommo » Nov 16, 2019 2:06 pm

Fallible wrote:I don’t get what’s supposed to be honourable about it.

Same here. Staying somewhere convenient, cheap and luxurious is not a sacrifice.

Perhaps he's trying to allude to something like a Christian concept of forgiveness - that if someone has paid for their crimes then you continue to treat them with friendship and love as you would have before, but being so self-serving it rings so utterly, laughably hollow that just thinking that way makes me squint a bit.

Truth be told I can only think of one plausible reason for his friendship with a man who acquired wealth and status by running a sex ring and pimping young women and girls out to wealthy men in the first place.

-----

On a separate note I did spare a thought for Emily Maitlis. I guess she really knows she's made it in the world of journalism now she's progressed from having the Prime Minister lie to her face on telly to having a royal lie to her face on telly.
Thommo

Print view this post

#177  Postby ronmcd » Nov 16, 2019 3:02 pm

Thommo wrote:

Truth be told I can only think of one plausible reason for his friendship with a man who acquired wealth and status by running a sex ring and pimping young women and girls out to wealthy men in the first place.

:nod:

Thommo wrote:
On a separate note I did spare a thought for Emily Maitlis. I guess she really knows she's made it in the world of journalism now she's progressed from having the Prime Minister lie to her face on telly to having a royal lie to her face on telly.

Before she became the main Newsnight presenter she had a series of uncomfortable interviews with Trump over a number of years. I don't think he likes her.

Oh, and

ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#178  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 16, 2019 3:09 pm

Sorry, I was clearly being a bit too dry here.

Spearthrower wrote:
It was a convenient place to stay, but I've been tormented by that decision because it was wrong, but it was honourable to stay in that convenient place, and if you're going to charge me with anything, it's that's I'm just too darn honourable - guilty as charged!

I also was pointing out that it was 'convenient' at first blush, but then the very model of honour to stay there.

Frankly, what is even 'convenient' about it to a man who has something like 50 million quid? Convenient at that point is irrelevant; it's not like you're going to shack up on a mate's sofa to save you the tenner it would cost to take a taxi into town.

And then it converts from being convenient to being honourable in just one sentence.

Rather than pay for a hotel room, I stayed at my mate's house because it was the only honourable course of action.

He should have been pulled on the metaphorical rack over these comments.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#179  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 16, 2019 3:13 pm

Thommo wrote:

Ahh you must have missed his devastating response to that:

His royal highness deplores the exploitation of any human being and the suggestion he would condone, participate in or encourage any such behaviour is abhorrent.

Any suggestion that he would condone, participate in, or encourage exploitation of under-age girls is abhorrent, Thommo! Not the exploitation, mind you, the suggestion he participates in it is abhorrent. You should be ashamed!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#180  Postby Thommo » Nov 16, 2019 3:52 pm

That is indeed a very strange and shallow response he has deployed in response to the charge. On *the very best* possible interpretation, that would require a few bucketloads of credulity to swallow, he turned a blind eye to Epstein's crimes and other actions. At worst he participated.

Given Andrew's previous track record with shady dealings, it looks extremely bad.
Thommo

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs