Jordan Peterson

How to be an expert in saying precisely nothing.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1821  Postby Rumraket » Feb 12, 2020 9:05 pm

Animavore wrote:Actually, I want to apologise for posting that video. I instantly regret it and bringing this thread up again. I even hovered over post and still clicked. But I'm not retracting it.

I think I'm done with this guy. He's too vapid and not stimulating or challenging enough for me. In fact he's the exact opposite because all he really does is state what he thinks is the obvious, rolls his eyes a bit, and people who don't want to be intellectually challenged in any way can walk off believing an argument is settled when really it hasn't even been addressed. He's only interesting to me in the context that people think he's interesting and I find that interesting. But maybe not so much any more. This fad has passed.

Oh shut up.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
User avatar
Rumraket
 
Posts: 13184
Age: 39

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Jordan Peterson

#1822  Postby Animavore » Feb 12, 2020 9:35 pm

Rumraket wrote:
Animavore wrote:Actually, I want to apologise for posting that video. I instantly regret it and bringing this thread up again. I even hovered over post and still clicked. But I'm not retracting it.

I think I'm done with this guy. He's too vapid and not stimulating or challenging enough for me. In fact he's the exact opposite because all he really does is state what he thinks is the obvious, rolls his eyes a bit, and people who don't want to be intellectually challenged in any way can walk off believing an argument is settled when really it hasn't even been addressed. He's only interesting to me in the context that people think he's interesting and I find that interesting. But maybe not so much any more. This fad has passed.

Oh shut up.


:(
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 43322
Age: 41
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1823  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Feb 12, 2020 11:47 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Svartalf wrote:I don't know the man or what he preaches, but I must admit his credentials seem impressive

He has written two questionable and widely criticized books and is a Tenured prof at University of Toronto. There is nothing on the whole impressive in that compared with the wealth of of tenured University of Toronto profs. His most impressive accomplishments are his click count on the internet and his being dubiously platformed in "debates." As Ani said, he is vapid and wrong about the science he cites most of the time.


Initially, I often disagree with him but I roll my eyes, hearing people shrieking that he's engaging in hate speech or whatever. He's just some dude with a cult following of right wing bros. He's not advocating extermination of anyone. He should be laughed at.

Then he gets talking and I'm embarrassed for him. I shouldn't be because he's done very well for himself but most of his ideas are so dumb and his grasp of the content he cites to support his dumb ideas sucks. He markets himself to people who want their biases confirmed though so it doesn't matter.

Being a university professor and writing a couple books doesn't mean much.

He reminds me of Ayn Rand. I found something about her endearing too. Terrible ideas though.
Rachel Bronwyn
 
Name: a certain type of girl
Posts: 13030
Age: 31
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1824  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 13, 2020 12:32 am

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 30269
Age: 30
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1825  Postby Seabass » Feb 13, 2020 12:46 am

Holy shit. He really does sound exactly like Kermit... :rofl:
"The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots." ―H.L. Mencken

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." —Einstein
"I’m a nationalist." —Trump
User avatar
Seabass
 
Name: Typical Macho American
Posts: 2726

Country: Ex-democracy
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1826  Postby The_Piper » Feb 13, 2020 1:01 am

I heard Petersen say so himself. That's funny though. :rofl:
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
User avatar
The_Piper
 
Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Posts: 26537
Age: 45
Male

Country: Chainsaw Country
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1827  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 13, 2020 3:58 am

Every time I watch a video posted on this thread, it ruins my recommended videos on Youtube for another 6 months. For some reason you can't watch anything about him without your side bar being overrun with shitty videos.
Image
User avatar
I'm With Stupid
 
Posts: 9422
Age: 35
Male

Country: Malaysia
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Jordan Peterson

#1828  Postby Hermit » Feb 13, 2020 4:53 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:Every time I watch a video posted on this thread, it ruins my recommended videos on Youtube for another 6 months. For some reason you can't watch anything about him without your side bar being overrun with shitty videos.

I watch the same Peterson clips, but my sidebar keeps getting flooded with videos of cute kittens, funny cats and more cute kittens.

Here, try one:

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Hermit
 
Posts: 3027
Age: 66
Male

Country: Here
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1829  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 13, 2020 12:56 pm



"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 30269
Age: 30
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1830  Postby Matt_B » Feb 14, 2020 9:55 am

Hermit wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:Every time I watch a video posted on this thread, it ruins my recommended videos on Youtube for another 6 months. For some reason you can't watch anything about him without your side bar being overrun with shitty videos.

I watch the same Peterson clips, but my sidebar keeps getting flooded with videos of cute kittens, funny cats and more cute kittens.

Here, try one:



They're not entirely unrelated, as one of his 'rules' is to pet cats whenever you see them.

One of my cats would get behind him wholeheartedly on that. The other would probably have your finger off. :lol:
User avatar
Matt_B
 
Posts: 4573
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1831  Postby Hermit » Feb 14, 2020 10:18 am

Peterson as cat lover? C'est impossible. He is too busy admiring himself.

Vite, apportez l'antidote.

Image

Merci, Brigitte. Juste à temps.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Hermit
 
Posts: 3027
Age: 66
Male

Country: Here
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1832  Postby Matt_B » Feb 14, 2020 10:26 pm

Hermit wrote:Peterson as cat lover? C'est impossible. He is too busy admiring himself.


Oh, its purely for his own benefit. Patting cute furry animals makes most of us feel good, so why not do it? It's the banality of Peterson's ideology in a nutshell.

Personally, I'd think that the attentions of an affectionate cat get a bit chore-like after a while though. Yeah, I get it; I feel loved. I've just got other things to do besides waiting hand, foot and finger on every whim.
User avatar
Matt_B
 
Posts: 4573
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests