Jordan Peterson

How to be an expert in saying precisely nothing.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1821  Postby Rumraket » Feb 12, 2020 9:05 pm

Animavore wrote:Actually, I want to apologise for posting that video. I instantly regret it and bringing this thread up again. I even hovered over post and still clicked. But I'm not retracting it.

I think I'm done with this guy. He's too vapid and not stimulating or challenging enough for me. In fact he's the exact opposite because all he really does is state what he thinks is the obvious, rolls his eyes a bit, and people who don't want to be intellectually challenged in any way can walk off believing an argument is settled when really it hasn't even been addressed. He's only interesting to me in the context that people think he's interesting and I find that interesting. But maybe not so much any more. This fad has passed.

Oh shut up.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
User avatar
Rumraket
 
Posts: 13193
Age: 39

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Jordan Peterson

#1822  Postby Animavore » Feb 12, 2020 9:35 pm

Rumraket wrote:
Animavore wrote:Actually, I want to apologise for posting that video. I instantly regret it and bringing this thread up again. I even hovered over post and still clicked. But I'm not retracting it.

I think I'm done with this guy. He's too vapid and not stimulating or challenging enough for me. In fact he's the exact opposite because all he really does is state what he thinks is the obvious, rolls his eyes a bit, and people who don't want to be intellectually challenged in any way can walk off believing an argument is settled when really it hasn't even been addressed. He's only interesting to me in the context that people think he's interesting and I find that interesting. But maybe not so much any more. This fad has passed.

Oh shut up.


:(
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 43470
Age: 41
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1823  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Feb 12, 2020 11:47 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Svartalf wrote:I don't know the man or what he preaches, but I must admit his credentials seem impressive

He has written two questionable and widely criticized books and is a Tenured prof at University of Toronto. There is nothing on the whole impressive in that compared with the wealth of of tenured University of Toronto profs. His most impressive accomplishments are his click count on the internet and his being dubiously platformed in "debates." As Ani said, he is vapid and wrong about the science he cites most of the time.


Initially, I often disagree with him but I roll my eyes, hearing people shrieking that he's engaging in hate speech or whatever. He's just some dude with a cult following of right wing bros. He's not advocating extermination of anyone. He should be laughed at.

Then he gets talking and I'm embarrassed for him. I shouldn't be because he's done very well for himself but most of his ideas are so dumb and his grasp of the content he cites to support his dumb ideas sucks. He markets himself to people who want their biases confirmed though so it doesn't matter.

Being a university professor and writing a couple books doesn't mean much.

He reminds me of Ayn Rand. I found something about her endearing too. Terrible ideas though.
Rachel Bronwyn
 
Name: a certain type of girl
Posts: 13155
Age: 31
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1824  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 13, 2020 12:32 am

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 30586
Age: 30
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1825  Postby Seabass » Feb 13, 2020 12:46 am

Holy shit. He really does sound exactly like Kermit... :rofl:
"Bad government is the natural product of rule by those who believe government is bad." —Thomas Frank

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." —Einstein
"I’m a nationalist." —Trump
User avatar
Seabass
 
Name: Typical Macho American
Posts: 2826

Country: Ex-democracy
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1826  Postby The_Piper » Feb 13, 2020 1:01 am

I heard Petersen say so himself. That's funny though. :rofl:
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
User avatar
The_Piper
 
Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Posts: 26726
Age: 45
Male

Country: Chainsaw Country
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1827  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 13, 2020 3:58 am

Every time I watch a video posted on this thread, it ruins my recommended videos on Youtube for another 6 months. For some reason you can't watch anything about him without your side bar being overrun with shitty videos.
Image
User avatar
I'm With Stupid
 
Posts: 9473
Age: 35
Male

Country: Malaysia
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Jordan Peterson

#1828  Postby Hermit » Feb 13, 2020 4:53 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:Every time I watch a video posted on this thread, it ruins my recommended videos on Youtube for another 6 months. For some reason you can't watch anything about him without your side bar being overrun with shitty videos.

I watch the same Peterson clips, but my sidebar keeps getting flooded with videos of cute kittens, funny cats and more cute kittens.

Here, try one:

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Hermit
 
Posts: 3372
Age: 66
Male

Country: Here
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1829  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 13, 2020 12:56 pm



"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 30586
Age: 30
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1830  Postby Matt_B » Feb 14, 2020 9:55 am

Hermit wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:Every time I watch a video posted on this thread, it ruins my recommended videos on Youtube for another 6 months. For some reason you can't watch anything about him without your side bar being overrun with shitty videos.

I watch the same Peterson clips, but my sidebar keeps getting flooded with videos of cute kittens, funny cats and more cute kittens.

Here, try one:



They're not entirely unrelated, as one of his 'rules' is to pet cats whenever you see them.

One of my cats would get behind him wholeheartedly on that. The other would probably have your finger off. :lol:
User avatar
Matt_B
 
Posts: 4579
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1831  Postby Hermit » Feb 14, 2020 10:18 am

Peterson as cat lover? C'est impossible. He is too busy admiring himself.

Vite, apportez l'antidote.

Image

Merci, Brigitte. Juste à temps.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Hermit
 
Posts: 3372
Age: 66
Male

Country: Here
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1832  Postby Matt_B » Feb 14, 2020 10:26 pm

Hermit wrote:Peterson as cat lover? C'est impossible. He is too busy admiring himself.


Oh, its purely for his own benefit. Patting cute furry animals makes most of us feel good, so why not do it? It's the banality of Peterson's ideology in a nutshell.

Personally, I'd think that the attentions of an affectionate cat get a bit chore-like after a while though. Yeah, I get it; I feel loved. I've just got other things to do besides waiting hand, foot and finger on every whim.
User avatar
Matt_B
 
Posts: 4579
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1833  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Mar 16, 2020 7:39 pm

Matt_B wrote:He's finally done something newsworthy again, i.e. checked into rehab for tranquilizer addiction:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/jordan-p ... a0038cf8e7

Having seen a few people suffer from this, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy so I'd hope he has a swift and speedy recovery.

Still, I'm wondering if the legion of fans, who seem to regard him as an infallible authority on pretty much every topic imaginable, might start to see some cracks in the facade. Probably not all, but maybe some of them at least.

So the "self-help guru" couldn't even help himself...

The fraud is always exposed eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTwEFa5NW2k
User avatar
WayOfTheDodo
 
Name: Raphus Cucullatus
Posts: 2083

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1834  Postby Scott Mayers » Mar 16, 2020 11:36 pm

I'm not a fan of Jordan's but shared the concern regarding free speech when he got noticed. I DID find Karen Straughan, who defends Jordan, where I agree to her intention of support and accept her admiration. But almost everything he says or writes is annoying by his style and voice, without bias against him as a person. What I DO agree is to the problem of 'classification' but do not like his means to argue.

As to the topic of men, I disagree in general to even advocacy of men for the same reasons I am against the advocacy of women. So while I share some views of Karen in the link, I think any advocacy needs to respect the more general problem at issue. Instead of fighting FOR some specific class of a larger class where the defining abuses between or among sex and gender issues, one needs to look at the whole class.

So for instance, if the complaint of abuse is "Women are not getting paid equally as men", to fight this, I believe it should be neutralized to the whole class of people regardless of sex. If you look at why "ANY PERSON is not getting paid equally based upon sexual discrimination", you would be able to tackle the issue from a judging perspective rather than either side fighting for some specific sex. Advocacy is more to the prosecution and defence lawyers arguing. If the public is to be the 'judge', then the issue has to be more neutral to the particular issues at hand.

Using the above example, while statistically it may be true that "women get paid less" for some types of jobs, what this advocacy misses is that the general personality of individuals appealing for pay are what coincidentally appears as though it is a bias against women. If ANYONE is more 'passive' when applying for a job or asking for better pay, the quality of those who are more agressive in their approach may be what is causing their success, not necessarily their sex.

Also, such an example argument misses that on the opposing end of the job spectra, men struggle more to get the Entry-Level positions. Related to this factor, men and women in the same impoverished condition permits women to be more 'favored' for prostitution than men and a stronger bias of those males who DO attempt this exists. Men on the street are forced into the kinds of 'deviant' behaviors more associated with incompassionate crimes, like drug dealing, or 'pimping', etc. Women are treated as 'victims' regardless.

So what I get out of Peterson is restricted to his attempted arguments related to the free speech on campus regarding countering similar kinds of imbalanced advocacy and misplaced classification schemes. Everything else is irrelevant. He only got famous for HOW he was bullied by strong feminists who act with as equal bias as the very kind of men they hate by demanding the University ban his right to speak.

[I apologize if some of this has already been discussed. I didn't want to read this long thread and do not want to waste time on his own issues as a flawed personality.]
Scott Mayers
 
Name: Scott Mayers
Posts: 74

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1835  Postby Hermit » Mar 17, 2020 1:27 am

Scott Mayers wrote:if the complaint of abuse is "Women are not getting paid equally as men", to fight this, I believe it should be neutralized to the whole class of people regardless of sex.

Women generally get paid less than men for the same work because they are women. This inequality will never be abolished by ignoring the different treatment of the sexes.

Scott Mayers wrote:If ANYONE is more 'passive' when applying for a job or asking for better pay, the quality of those who are more agressive in their approach may be what is causing their success, not necessarily their sex.

Again, women are less assertive than men because that is conditioned into them much more so than men. Moreover, women who are assertive tend to be dismissed as being bitches. Men have a much easier time with this, and aggression in men tends to be more easily tolerated than in women because, you know, that's the "natural" thing for men to be. Men be the warriors and hunters. Women be the breeders, nurturers and caregivers.

Scott Mayers wrote:Related to this factor, men and women in the same impoverished condition permits women to be more 'favored' for prostitution than men

Lucky women, eh? You should broadcast that to the MRAs in case some of them don't have this item on their list of "women's advantages" yet. "Oh, we men must resort to crime because the womenz have monopolised prostitution."
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Hermit
 
Posts: 3372
Age: 66
Male

Country: Here
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Jordan Peterson

#1836  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 17, 2020 2:13 am

Women generally get paid less than men for the same work because they are women. This inequality will never be abolished by ignoring the different treatment of the sexes.


Bingo!

Again, women are less assertive than men because that is conditioned into them much more so than men. Moreover, women who are assertive tend to be dismissed as being bitches. Men have a much easier time with this, and aggression in men tends to be more easily tolerated than in women because, you know, that's the "natural" thing for men to be. Men be the warriors and hunters. Women be the breeders, nurturers and caregivers.


Additionally, the entire concept of assertiveness being desirable is purely cultural anyway - there's nothing to suggest it makes you any better at most jobs where there's a gender based discrepancy in pay.

Lucky women, eh? You should broadcast that to the MRAs in case some of them don't have this item on their list of "women's advantages" yet. "Oh, we men must resort to crime because the womenz have monopolised prostitution."


:lol:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27273
Age: 43
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1837  Postby OlivierK » Mar 17, 2020 6:05 am

See, it's not sexism if men with less assertive personalities also get fucked over, just for having the type of personality bigots might traditionally associate with women. Amiright?
User avatar
OlivierK
 
Posts: 9252
Age: 53
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1838  Postby Fallible » Mar 17, 2020 2:53 pm

Spearthrower wrote:


Again, women are less assertive than men because that is conditioned into them much more so than men. Moreover, women who are assertive tend to be dismissed as being bitches. Men have a much easier time with this, and aggression in men tends to be more easily tolerated than in women because, you know, that's the "natural" thing for men to be. Men be the warriors and hunters. Women be the breeders, nurturers and caregivers.


Additionally, the entire concept of assertiveness being desirable is purely cultural anyway - there's nothing to suggest it makes you any better at most jobs where there's a gender based discrepancy in pay.


You can see evidence of the difference between how assertive men and assertive women are treated on this very board. I am very outspoken and do not tend to be particularly delicate in my posts here. There are also a number of men the same, and a fair few who are a lot more assertive or aggressive in their responses to people than I am, who do not hold back, and who will keep posting in the same way when they are occasionally criticised for it. Yet strangely, they do not receive the feedback I do. Occasionally someone comments on their approach, and perhaps a very few claim that these men are unnecessarily aggressive or attempting to bully people off the forum. I, on the other hand, am almost constantly picked up for the tone of my posts, and have been accused by several people over years of trying to ‘get rid’ of people - simply for speaking my mind. I’m told that I’m too argumentative (on a discussion forum), am acting like a ‘queen bee’ at the top of a forum full of men, swear too much and I’m childish if I join in with the overall ‘spirit’ of a discussion already taking place in that vein. The only clear difference I can find between the assertive men here and myself is that I am female.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 50466
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1839  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 17, 2020 3:00 pm

Yup, noticed that before too.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27273
Age: 43
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1840  Postby GrahamH » Mar 17, 2020 3:07 pm

This is an old recording recently posted of JP's enlightened concern for women.


Apparently society is letting women down by not telling them they could find fulfilment in motherhood. Who knew?
In other words, another pining for a 50's style hierarchy of stereotypical roles maintained by indoctrinating kids to be mothers or warriors based on what genitalia they have at birth. i.e. don't tell girls they can have fulfilling careers.

:nono:
Why do you think that?
GrahamH
 
Posts: 20338

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest