Jordan Peterson

How to be an expert in saying precisely nothing.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Jordan Peterson

#1921  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 23, 2022 12:50 pm

SevenZarkSeven wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:I don't hate him, but I dislike him for the same reason I dislike anyone who intentionally misleads others for person gain.

How very droll. Wake me up when the sanctimony and the boring cliches come to an end.

Ahh right got it.

You're just here to act like a tosser to people.

All clear.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1922  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 23, 2022 12:51 pm

SevenZarkSeven wrote:his ideas can inspire seriously challenging SEMH pupils to reach for a better future.

Why, even somebody with the SEMH issues that Boris Johnson has can aspire to be PM. That's a better future for everybody.

:naughty2:

You see, Zark, the difference between SEMH and charm is not much more than money. 'Splain to us how it all works.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#1923  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 23, 2022 1:16 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
SevenZarkSeven wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:I don't hate him, but I dislike him for the same reason I dislike anyone who intentionally misleads others for person gain.

How very droll. Wake me up when the sanctimony and the boring cliches come to an end.

Ahh right got it.

All clear.

That’s right. How’d you like to be thrown from a pub for talking like that?
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1924  Postby Animavore » Oct 23, 2022 2:42 pm

Fucking hell Google is so immediately intrusive now. I looked into this thread very briefly about half an hour ago and now all of a sudden Peterson, who I haven't heard a peep about in months, is popping up all over my YouTube feed.

More annoyingly the main reason I haven't been seeing him is because I was clicking "Don't recommend channel" every time I saw him because I've zero interest any more so I thought it got the message. Did YouTube (Google) believe I suddenly had a renewed interest? Does it have a short memory? Or is it just a lack on 'intelligence' in the algorithms? And nevermind that why does me clicking a link here affect over there? It's not like I Google searched him.

Probably something for its own thread.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#1925  Postby SevenZarkSeven » Oct 23, 2022 2:43 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
SevenZarkSeven wrote:his ideas can inspire seriously challenging SEMH pupils to reach for a better future.

Why, even somebody with the SEMH issues that Boris Johnson has can aspire to be PM. That's a better future for everybody.

:naughty2:

You see, Zark, the difference between SEMH and charm is not much more than money. 'Splain to us how it all works.

That has to be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.
The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women
SevenZarkSeven

Name: The Best Women
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1926  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 23, 2022 3:52 pm

Animavore wrote:Fucking hell Google is so immediately intrusive now. I looked into this thread very briefly about half an hour ago and now all of a sudden Peterson, who I haven't heard a peep about in months, is popping up all over my YouTube feed.

More annoyingly the main reason I haven't been seeing him is because I was clicking "Don't recommend channel" every time I saw him because I've zero interest any more so I thought it got the message. Did YouTube (Google) believe I suddenly had a renewed interest? Does it have a short memory? Or is it just a lack on 'intelligence' in the algorithms? And nevermind that why does me clicking a link here affect over there? It's not like I Google searched him.

Private browser windows, my friend. All those search cookies go up in smoke when you close the window.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1927  Postby SevenZarkSeven » Oct 23, 2022 4:34 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
SevenZarkSeven wrote:

Ahh right got it.

All clear.

No. The question was clearly goading.
The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women The Best Women
SevenZarkSeven

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1928  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 23, 2022 5:50 pm

SevenZarkSeven wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
SevenZarkSeven wrote:

Ahh right got it.

All clear.

Goading?

You mean you posed it solely to act like a tosser to anyone mistakenly responding in good faith.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1929  Postby SevenZarkSeven » Oct 23, 2022 7:42 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
SevenZarkSeven wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
SevenZarkSeven wrote:

Ahh right got it.

All clear.

Goading?

You mean you posed it solely to act like a tosser to anyone mistakenly responding in good faith.

No, that I do not mean.
SevenZarkSeven

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1930  Postby Animavore » Oct 23, 2022 7:55 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
Animavore wrote:Fucking hell Google is so immediately intrusive now. I looked into this thread very briefly about half an hour ago and now all of a sudden Peterson, who I haven't heard a peep about in months, is popping up all over my YouTube feed.

Private browser windows, my friend. All those search cookies go up in smoke when you close the window.

Yeah I'm gonna start going that direction. I feel like if I type something like "washing machine" into a post like this I'll open Facebook straight after and see and ad for a Hotpoint. You used to have to search a bit more persistently before this would happen. I feel like I should be getting a kick-back if these companies are going to be making money off my data so I don't want them having it any more. Is it Duck Go Go people use now?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#1931  Postby Seabass » Oct 23, 2022 9:30 pm

SevenZarkSeven wrote:Still baffled by the hatred for him.

Then you're probably a giant asshole. Are you also baffled by the hatred for Tucker Carlson and Ben Shapiro?
"One movement, one people, one family, and one glorious nation under god!" —Donald Trump
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer!" —Adolf Hitler
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#1932  Postby SevenZarkSeven » Oct 23, 2022 9:35 pm

Seabass wrote:

Then you're probably a giant asshole. Are you also baffled by the hatred for Tucker Carlson and Ben Shapiro?

Fuck me, does everyone here do this?
SevenZarkSeven

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1933  Postby tuco » Oct 23, 2022 9:44 pm

Indeed, I find the algorithm thing also pretty annoying. With so much content it makes sense to filter it. There is a technological and perhaps cultural shift from actively searching for content to being offered and often even served custom online experiences. And while such an approach does provide some benefits I believe, adopting it as the (almost) only way to surf social media does pose questions, for example, about lack of decision-making or even the ability (perhaps willingness) to search for and filter information by ourselves.
tuco

Print view this post

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#1934  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Oct 23, 2022 9:47 pm

SevenZarkSeven wrote:Still baffled by the hatred for him. If he's not your cup of tea then whatever but the rage and vitriol people display in regard to him is perplexing.

I have to say that in the school in which I teach I have been able to make great progress by stealing some of his ideas. He can't be that bad if he annoys all the right people and his ideas can inspire seriously challenging SEMH pupils to reach for a better future.

from what I read about him he’s a shit merchant.
he’s stuck some roses into the shit he’s selling to make it look like fertilizer
but it’s shit none the less.

edit: spelling
Last edited by Agi Hammerthief on Oct 24, 2022 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1935  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 23, 2022 11:48 pm

SevenZarkSeven wrote:
Seabass wrote:

May well be a common component you may be overlooking.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1936  Postby felltoearth » Oct 24, 2022 1:30 pm

SevenZarkSeven wrote:

I pity your students

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1937  Postby felltoearth » Oct 24, 2022 1:32 pm

SevenZarkSeven wrote:
Seabass wrote:

Only to the dishonest and incredulous

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1938  Postby Seabass » Oct 24, 2022 1:42 pm

Lol.

"One movement, one people, one family, and one glorious nation under god!" —Donald Trump
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer!" —Adolf Hitler
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#1939  Postby BWE » Oct 24, 2022 4:05 pm

SevenZarkSeven wrote:
Seabass wrote:

Hard to say. But Peterson is definitely in the fucked up propaganda camp so it isn't surprising that people who consume different sorts of propaganda wouldn't like him.

I mean, if you self identify as "right wing" or libertarian then it's a long process to untangle the mindfuck gap
BWE

Print view this post

#1940  Postby Matt_B » Oct 24, 2022 11:03 pm

Even if you leave his politics out of it, he's still a money grubbing self-help guru and that's usually reason enough to dislike someone.

I always chuckle a bit whenever someone on the right wakes up to that aspect of him.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs