Jury duty

This ought to be interesting

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Jury duty

#1  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 25, 2022 1:30 am

Last spring, I got a jury duty summons from the county, to be on a jury in July. I offered to shift my duty to December or January, the two slowest months at my business. Because, doing jury duty closes my business.

They accepted, and today I got another summons for jury duty in December.

I dutifully completed the questionnaire, which asked simple eligibility questions. On the part where we have the five lines to write any excusal requests, I wrote this instead:

“Full disclosure: I WILL use jury nullification if I see the government has acted in bad faith or violated our constitution. I will not reward the government with a prosecution for such behavior. Still want me on a jury?”

As a juror, our own reasons for our vote on a case are inviolate. I never have to defend my vote, and can never be punished for it. Most people don’t understand this, but we people own the law. We have the final say on what will or will not be punished, and this is where it is done. Not even the judge can overturn it.

I am terribly anxious to hear their reply. The word on the internets is that the legal system intensely dislikes this reality.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Jury duty

#2  Postby jamest » Oct 25, 2022 1:48 am

The reality is that the system is corrupt yet continues to hold sway. Unfortunately, there's only one potential loser here.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 25, 2022 6:34 am

It's only as corrupt as the people participating in that corruption: we act like its the fault of the thing we created whereas corruption is from the involved actors over time.

In a justice system, there really should only ever be one loser, and that loss is justified when they're paying for a crime they committed in society.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Tortured_Genius » Oct 25, 2022 5:59 pm

TBH and I'm most definitely not a lawyer, but isn't that the way it's supposed to work? "Trial by your peers" and all that so there's some check on the law-makers if they have created a truly asinine law.

It's assumed that jurors will have their own biases and, not being legally trained, won't be checking them in at the door like a "professional" is supposed to do. That's why there are appeals processes and higher courts so that if (for instance) a cop gets acquitted for gunning down a black man by a jury entirely composed of bedsheet wearing racists something can be done about it.

Of course in reality this doesn't always (or ever) happen. :nono:
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Thommo » Oct 25, 2022 10:13 pm

Is it possible to appeal an acquittal in the US system? I thought that was so-called double jeopardy.
Thommo

Print view this post

#6  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 26, 2022 1:02 pm

Thommo wrote:Is it possible to appeal an acquittal in the US system? I thought that was so-called double jeopardy.

It is not possible to reverse a jury verdict of not guilty.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Tortured_Genius » Oct 26, 2022 2:32 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
Thommo wrote:Is it possible to appeal an acquittal in the US system? I thought that was so-called double jeopardy.

It is not possible to reverse a jury verdict of not guilty.

Which is why the multiple murderer Kyle Rittenhouse is still walking around I suppose (although there it was at the direction of a judge).
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Greg the Grouper » Oct 26, 2022 3:15 pm

Hopefully more people embrace this attitude in cases where abortions are being prosecuted. It sure would be nice to know that such laws are a waste of time because no jury would ever convict.
The evolution of intelligence has gone beyond the restrains of biological individual generations.
Greg the Grouper

Name: Patrick

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby The_Piper » Oct 26, 2022 3:31 pm

I had to decline jury duty the last time I was called on because it hurts to sit down for very long, and I don't think they'd let me stand up in the courtroom. My doctor wrote a note and yada yada yada I never heard from them again. The first time I was called on they didn't pick me.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 27, 2022 12:39 pm

On m questionnaire, I claimed no reason to be excused. I am perfectly eligible to serve.

If they reject me, it will be for one reason only, that I understand my rights and will nullify if I must.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby The_Piper » Oct 27, 2022 1:25 pm

I wasn't even aware of nullification before. I'd use it too if the circumstances justified it. If I'm called on again I'll show up and see if I'm able to serve. I'm on non-opiod medication that makes sitting more tolerable now.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 04, 2022 1:35 am

Well well!

The clerk told me today in his reply to my questionnaire: “Your request to be excused will be decided by the Court. Please report with your panel on the first call date and ask to be excused by the Judge.”

I never asked to be excused. I am perfectly eligible to serve. What I’ve done is declared my bias. I will make it the decision of the court to disqualify me. Their reason will be in the court record.

Pretty much what I’ve done is told the local justice system (judges, prosecutors, cops) that I will hold my government to the law with the same force I will hold the accused in any trial in which I am a juror.

Here’s where you can see when each group is to report: https://lewiscountywa.gov/offices/clerk ... tructions/

I will post everything I can in this topic. If I sit in a trial, I have to go radio silent, obviously.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs