Kindergarten children groomed for US war machine.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Kindergarten children groomed for US war machine.

#281  Postby purplerat » Feb 12, 2016 2:57 pm

ED209 wrote:
purplerat wrote:
ED209 wrote:
purplerat wrote:
The quote about "billions each year" is sandwiched between discussion of America's Army and "route into children's lives". The implication is pretty clear. I get that when dishonesty serves your purpose it's easy to look the other way though.

There is no dishonesty, except in your now-willful and intentional misrepresentation of the quoted passage.

If it were me that had made the error of reading comprehension, I'd be capable of admitting it.

Please show where they are spending "billions a year" on video games. The only way they are getting that number is if any computer or simulation technology is being included. And yes I call labeling any computer or simulation development "video games" dishonest.

Where do you think you are going with those goalposts?

I think you guys almost have enough for a whole dodgeball team.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#282  Postby Skinny Puppy » Feb 12, 2016 3:00 pm

Willie71 wrote:
American sniper is clearly propaganda. It claimed a moral superiority of the American forces. They are the invading force, and committed atrocious war crimes. There is ZERO moral superiority there.
Yes, I read the book. It's pathetic. :thumbdown:

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/viewtopic.php?p=2373632#p2373632

Willie71 wrote:
I don't think I finished it. It was the most pathetic jingoistic piece of crap I've ever tried to read.
Had it on audiobook on a road trip. I kept asking myself who would be.ieve this crap?

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/viewtopic.php?p=2373656#p2373656

You read it, but you didn’t read it. Which is it? :think:

Plus, you read it (or didn’t, not sure on that point) and in addition to buying the book you also bought the audio version of it?
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#283  Postby Willie71 » Feb 12, 2016 3:13 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
Willie71 wrote:
American sniper is clearly propaganda. It claimed a moral superiority of the American forces. They are the invading force, and committed atrocious war crimes. There is ZERO moral superiority there.

Willie71 wrote:
I don't think I finished it. It was the most pathetic jingoistic piece of crap I've ever tried to read.
Had it on audiobook on a road trip. I kept asking myself who would be.ieve this crap?

Plus, you read it (or didn’t, not sure on that point) and in addition to buying the book you also bought the audio version of it?

This just shows how intellectually dishonest you are. Is there a difference in reading or listening to the audio book? I subscribe to scribd. Is having it on the iPad different than holding a paper book?

Does it matter if I bought it, downloaded it, or stole it? Which option in which format is relevant?

The book went on and on with jingoistic, bigoted crap. Whether I listened to the last couple chapters or not changes the majority content how?

Did Kyle change his mind, become pro Muslim, anti military in the end? Not what I remember. Maybe I'll read the last chapter to confirm he remained a vile prick. Probably not as the interviews I saw with people who knew him said he was a prick through and through.

I tried to watch the movie too, and it was stomach turning. I just couldn't watch it.

So you thought this was a good read? Is that what you are saying? Are you saying it isn't jingoistic and bigoted? Or are you just trying to poison the well? Come on SP, is this your example of non propaganda, non-jingoistic American neutral culture?
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#284  Postby Skinny Puppy » Feb 12, 2016 4:02 pm

Willie71 wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
Willie71 wrote:

Willie71 wrote:

This just shows how intellectually dishonest you are. Is there a difference in reading or listening to the audio book? I subscribe to scribd. Is having it on the iPad different than holding a paper book?

I never said there was a difference and if you’d kindly read my post again you can verify that. Oh, and I apologise... I had no idea that a simple question or two was intellectual dishonesty in your world. In my world I welcome questions, but that’s just me.

Does it matter if I bought it, downloaded it, or stole it? Which option in which format is relevant?

Please read my post again... please! You’re simply assuming things that I simply never said or implied.

The book went on and on with jingoistic, bigoted crap. Whether I listened to the last couple chapters or not changes the majority content how?

Well, you see... you said that you read it, then you said you didn’t think you finished it, now you either read it (as in reading it all) or you didn’t. One simply can’t have it both ways and still remain consistent.

Did Kyle change his mind, become pro Muslim, anti military in the end? Not what I remember. Maybe I'll read the last chapter to confirm he remained a vile prick. Probably not as the interviews I saw with people who knew him said he was a prick through and through.

I tried to watch the movie too, and it was stomach turning. I just couldn't watch it.

Your stomach has my deepest sympathies. :flowers:

So you thought this was a good read? Is that what you are saying? Are you saying it isn't jingoistic and bigoted? Or are you just trying to poison the well? Come on SP, is this your example of non propaganda, non-jingoistic American neutral culture?

Please read my post again... please! :pray: I made no comment whatsoever about my views regarding its content or its author.

Oh noes... you did it again. :doh:

Whether I listened to the last couple chapters
Maybe I'll read the last chapter

You’ve got me confused again. Did you not read the last couple of chapters or just the last chapter? I’m truly sorry, but I (and the rest of us) can only go by what you write here, and so far, your writing is inconsistent.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#285  Postby MarkP80 » Feb 12, 2016 4:28 pm

Lol, so we went from a kindergarten teacher brainwashing kids to Kris Kyle.
How is this still on topic?
No, the teacher wasn't brainwashing the kids, it was a simple holiday related exercise.
Yes, there is propaganda in America, just like there is in whatever country whatever reader is reading at the time is from.
Yes.
Your country also tries to sell you the story that it is better then the other countries.
Yes, your county also has a military, and very likely has military related holidays and memorials.
Yes, America's military is bigger then your country's, and they are more aggressive at recruiting than your country.
But no, those kids are not being brainwashed into the military.
Topic of the thread is wrong, everything else is unrelated.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
MarkP80

Name: Mark Pereira
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#286  Postby laklak » Feb 12, 2016 4:48 pm

The_Metatron wrote:My favorite propaganda film: Strategic Air Command.

B-36 Peacemakers, Jimmy Stewart, June Allyson, Harry Morgan. Beautiful aerial shots.

Have to be ready for those commies, dontcha know.

Loved that film. I loved all the Air Force (or Army Air Force and Navy carrier) ones. Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, The Bridges at Toko Ri, 12 O'Clock High, Flying Leathernecks, The Battle of Britain, Flying Tigers.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#287  Postby mrjonno » Feb 12, 2016 4:52 pm

I remember seeing Saving Private Ryan and thinking I really wish I could have been a soldier on D day or was it I really wish I could have been a film director making a fictional film not sure
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#288  Postby Mike_L » Feb 12, 2016 5:14 pm

laklak wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:My favorite propaganda film: Strategic Air Command.

B-36 Peacemakers, Jimmy Stewart, June Allyson, Harry Morgan. Beautiful aerial shots.

Have to be ready for those commies, dontcha know.

Loved that film. I loved all the Air Force (or Army Air Force and Navy carrier) ones. Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, The Bridges at Toko Ri, 12 O'Clock High, Flying Leathernecks, The Battle of Britain, Flying Tigers.

[This is hopelessly off-topic, but anyway...]

I think Memphis Belle (1990) is a very fine WW2 movie.
It's also a showcase of superb craftsmanship. This interview with one of the model-makers reveals just how much went into the making of the movie...

Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#289  Postby The_Metatron » Feb 12, 2016 5:22 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:You're better than me. I got about twenty pages in, and had enough of that bigoted, hateful little prick. I threw the book away.

Interesting that just 20 pages in, you were able to determine that Kyle was a ‘bigoted, hateful little prick’.

Except for 'Evil in the Crosshairs', which is from pages 8-10, he talks about his childhood, Bustin’ Broncs, being a cowboy, his abilities as a sniper and how he decided to become a SEAL in the other 17 pages.

The book is 269 pages long, (my edition is 269 pages) yet you threw the other 249 pages away and made such a specific determination about Kyle’s personality.

I wish :pray: that I had such skills and only had to read 20 pages of a 269 page book in order to glean all that I need to know about its author.

Lacking those skills I actually had to read the book cover-to-cover before I would be able to comment on its author.

Serve a lifetime in the forces. You'll recognize these fuckers at a glance.

Here are some tip-offs, though: "I only wish I had killed more." "My shots saved several Americans, whose lives were clearly worth more than that woman's twisted soul." "That's why a lot of people, myself included, called the enemy "savages." "I'm not lying or exaggerating to say it was fun."

Just about anyone can make a good determination from just those thoughts. You need nothing else.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#290  Postby Skinny Puppy » Feb 12, 2016 7:07 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:You're better than me. I got about twenty pages in, and had enough of that bigoted, hateful little prick. I threw the book away.

Interesting that just 20 pages in, you were able to determine that Kyle was a ‘bigoted, hateful little prick’.

Except for 'Evil in the Crosshairs', which is from pages 8-10, he talks about his childhood, Bustin’ Broncs, being a cowboy, his abilities as a sniper and how he decided to become a SEAL in the other 17 pages.

The book is 269 pages long, (my edition is 269 pages) yet you threw the other 249 pages away and made such a specific determination about Kyle’s personality.

I wish :pray: that I had such skills and only had to read 20 pages of a 269 page book in order to glean all that I need to know about its author.

Lacking those skills I actually had to read the book cover-to-cover before I would be able to comment on its author.

Serve a lifetime in the forces. You'll recognize these fuckers at a glance.

Here are some tip-offs, though: "I only wish I had killed more." "My shots saved several Americans, whose lives were clearly worth more than that woman's twisted soul." "That's why a lot of people, myself included, called the enemy "savages." "I'm not lying or exaggerating to say it was fun."

Just about anyone can make a good determination from just those thoughts. You need nothing else.

Fair enough! :thumbup:
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#291  Postby Willie71 » Feb 12, 2016 11:25 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
Willie71 wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
Willie71 wrote:

Willie71 wrote:

I never said there was a difference and if you’d kindly read my post again you can verify that. Oh, and I apologise... I had no idea that a simple question or two was intellectual dishonesty in your world. In my world I welcome questions, but that’s just me.

Please read my post again... please! You’re simply assuming things that I simply never said or implied.

Well, you see... you said that you read it, then you said you didn’t think you finished it, now you either read it (as in reading it all) or you didn’t. One simply can’t have it both ways and still remain consistent.

Your stomach has my deepest sympathies. :flowers:

Please read my post again... please! :pray: I made no comment whatsoever about my views regarding its content or its author.

Oh noes... you did it again. :doh:

Whether I listened to the last couple chapters
Maybe I'll read the last chapter

You’ve got me confused again. Did you not read the last couple of chapters or just the last chapter? I’m truly sorry, but I (and the rest of us) can only go by what you write here, and so far, your writing is inconsistent.

I'll spell this out. I had the book on the iPad. I also got it on audiobook for a road trip. I started reading it, and listened to it instead on the road trip. The book was quite boring, but very jingoistic. It was comically bad in many places. The road trip was 8h, but one page blended to the next. I don't remember if I heard the last bit or not, but nothing I heard over those hours pointed to anything but jerk off material for the pro military/islamophobic crowd. Sorry to confuse you on these irrelevant details. I apologize for not explaining step by step the process so as to not make my experience with the book to be seen as misleading to your standards. I'll type slower next time, and maybe use a bigger font. :thumbup:
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#292  Postby Mike_L » Feb 13, 2016 7:34 am

First seen in the Funny Pictures thread, but also found on the wider web, is yet more evidence of US schoolchildren being inculcated with the country's militarized mindset...

14 Hilarious Letters From Kids to Soldiers

By Ben Pugh

Those kids say the darndest things don't they? So what will they say when given a school assignment to write to servicemen and women serving overseas during wartime? Some are cute, some are funny, some are violent, and others are just plain random. Here are some of the best that the internet has to offer.
http://uniformstories.com/stories/military/14-hilarious-letters-from-kids-to-soldiers-2

These ones are especially telling...

So we have US schoolkids being drafted into a "support the troops" campaign. We also have evidence that they're being spoon-fed the propaganda lie that US troops are "protecting America and Freedom" by terrorizing families on the opposite side of the world.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#293  Postby Alan B » Feb 13, 2016 10:32 am

During my school years (WII), we never, never had requests to write to our soldiers fighting the Nazis who were a real and present threat to our freedom at that time. Such overt 'brainwashing' was just not considered, as far as I remember.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#294  Postby purplerat » Feb 13, 2016 2:52 pm

Alan B wrote:During my school years (WII), we never, never had requests to write to our soldiers fighting the Nazis who were a real and present threat to our freedom at that time. Such overt 'brainwashing' was just not considered, as far as I remember.

I recall taking a course on 20th century history and it covered WWII propaganda. One thing that always stuck with me was how children's cartoons were used to promote the war effort.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#295  Postby Alan B » Feb 13, 2016 3:19 pm

purplerat wrote:
Alan B wrote:During my school years (WII), we never, never had requests to write to our soldiers fighting the Nazis who were a real and present threat to our freedom at that time. Such overt 'brainwashing' was just not considered, as far as I remember.

I recall taking a course on 20th century history and it covered WWII propaganda. One thing that always stuck with me was how children's cartoons were used to promote the war effort.

Possibly it was a psychological ploy to get the adults attention along the lines of 'think of the children'. :dunno:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#296  Postby MarkP80 » Feb 13, 2016 3:43 pm

Love that unicorn though.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
MarkP80

Name: Mark Pereira
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#297  Postby Alan B » Feb 13, 2016 3:51 pm

So I googled "British wartime comics".
British Wartime Comics
Memories! But then I was only 9 when the war ended so all the more violent American imports held no interest for me - they were for older kids, certainly not kindergarten age.
We didn't need visits from the military to influence us at school - at any age. All we had to do was to go to the High Street and watch hundreds of soldiers marching to the docks (in the East End of London). Then of course we had the bombs dropping to remind us that there was this fellow Hitler bombing us into submission - or so he thought. We were actually at war with an enemy ready to march into our country. I see no such situation in America to warrant these kindergarten visits.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#298  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 13, 2016 3:51 pm

purplerat wrote:

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#299  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 13, 2016 4:06 pm

Here's another one:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#300  Postby Mike_L » Feb 13, 2016 5:45 pm

Alan B wrote:So I googled "British wartime comics".
British Wartime Comics
Memories! But then I was only 9 when the war ended so all the more violent American imports held no interest for me - they were for older kids, certainly not kindergarten age.
We didn't need visits from the military to influence us at school - at any age. All we had to do was to go to the High Street and watch hundreds of soldiers marching to the docks (in the East End of London). Then of course we had the bombs dropping to remind us that there was this fellow Hitler bombing us into submission - or so he thought. We were actually at war with an enemy ready to march into our country. I see no such situation in America to warrant these kindergarten visits.

Quite so. :nod:
Even if one accepts the putative distinction between "bad wars" and "good wars", there's no way that the USA's recent military adventurism can be shoehorned into the latter category. The Iraq War, for instance, has massively increased instability in the Middle East and beyond, has served as the crucible in which ISIS was born and has contributed to the refugee crisis in Europe.
Teaching the USA's children that they and their freedoms are protected by the nation's soldiering in far-flung regions of the globe is a preposterous inversion of the truth.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs