Lawrence Krauss threatens to walk at islamist debate

Gender segregation issues

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Lawrence Krauss threatens to walk at islamist debate

#61  Postby ixolite » Mar 16, 2013 3:03 pm

james1v wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
hackenslash wrote:
Shrunk wrote:I guess by "key moments" they mean "gotcha moments, from the point of view of the Islamists."

Not much of a gotcha. I thought his response was pretty much spot on. What is the moral objection to incest? Sure, congenital defects in offspring would mean that there was a moral issue in bringing the product of such a union to life, but is there actually a moral issue with the act itself? I'd probably go further, and say that it isn't actually a moral question once you remove the progeny objection.

Yes, I agree. But to their intended audience, you know the sound bite message will be "atheism = incest."

:think: Isn't it common among Islamists, to marry relatives? I'm guessing, it was a "trick question" from the Islamist.

:think:

Mo himself started that tradition.

And let's not forget Adam and Eve and Noah, either.

:lol:

The comments for that video are moderated, what a surprise. :whistle:
ixolite

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Oeditor » Mar 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Shrunk wrote:Yes, I agree. But to their intended audience, you know the sound bite message will be "atheism = incest."
And that didn't take long...
Krauss you ran away from that debate and you also said incest is ok as long as contraceptions are used, please shut up.

- Brummie, Birmingham, 16/3/2013 12:31
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2294326/British-polite-scared-offending-vocal-aggressive-Muslims-claims-Obama-adviser.html#ixzz2Nj0oBs4v
It took all of 68 minutes after the article was posted..
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Bribase » Mar 17, 2013 1:12 pm

Oeditor wrote:
Bribase wrote:

If reports are correct (this was cited in a youtube rebuttal of the clip),
Where the narraator, who says he was there, describes it as a despicable diversionary tactic. Regardless of that, it's clear that Tzortzis just threw down the question out of the blue, and no doubt had a good idea what the answer would be.
Let's just call it laying the ground for quote-mining and see what else they pick out.

I just heard it (on my recording around 1:33:53). He says "Someone who is rationalizing incest don't have moral highground over me."

It was spoken about in the context of Islam treating women and men differently. It was, as he said a diversionary tactic.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#64  Postby Ironclad » Mar 17, 2013 1:21 pm

campermon wrote:He should have walked.

Lawrence always comes across as a nice guy, i guess he didn't want to disappoint his audience.

I can't believe that the UCL would let this sort of thing happen.

I understood that he did walk out after noticing the segregation & telling the audience he found it unacceptable. The organisers scrapped the nonsense & went to find him.
As for the 'leading atheist' gripe, that is surely a media tag, not his.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Shrunk » Mar 17, 2013 1:53 pm

Oeditor wrote:
Shrunk wrote:Yes, I agree. But to their intended audience, you know the sound bite message will be "atheism = incest."
And that didn't take long...
Krauss you ran away from that debate and you also said incest is ok as long as contraceptions are used, please shut up.

- Brummie, Birmingham, 16/3/2013 12:31
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2294326/British-polite-scared-offending-vocal-aggressive-Muslims-claims-Obama-adviser.html#ixzz2Nj0oBs4v
It took all of 68 minutes after the article was posted..

Krauss is a "former adviser to Barack Obama"?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#66  Postby hackenslash » Mar 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Indeed. He was an advisor on science policy during his first election campaign.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#67  Postby Shrunk » Mar 17, 2013 4:13 pm

Bribase wrote:
Oeditor wrote:
Bribase wrote:

If reports are correct (this was cited in a youtube rebuttal of the clip),
Where the narraator, who says he was there, describes it as a despicable diversionary tactic. Regardless of that, it's clear that Tzortzis just threw down the question out of the blue, and no doubt had a good idea what the answer would be.
Let's just call it laying the ground for quote-mining and see what else they pick out.

I just heard it (on my recording around 1:33:53). He says "Someone who is rationalizing incest don't have moral highground over me."

It was spoken about in the context of Islam treating women and men differently. It was, as he said a diversionary tactic.

So did the topic of pedophilic thighing come up?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby THWOTH » Mar 30, 2013 2:49 pm

"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#69  Postby DoctorE » Apr 15, 2013 9:12 am

The University of Leicester has launched an investigation into gender segregation at a public lecture held by its student Islamic society.

The talk, entitled Does God Exist?, featured a guest speaker Hamza Tzortzis as part of an Islamic Awareness week. Seating at the event was segregated, with different entrances into the lecture theatre for men and women.

It follows news that a London university, UCL, has banned an Islamic organisation from campus after concluding that it attempted to impose segregation at a debate which also featured Tzortzis.

In Leicester, more than 100 students attended the segregated event, which took place last month. A photograph passed to the Guardian shows signs put up in a university building, directing the segregation.

A message on the group's website says: "In all our events, [the society] operate a strict policy of segregated seating between males and females." The statement was removed after the Guardian contacted the society.

A spokesman for Leicester said: "The University of Leicester does not permit enforced segregation at public events. The university will investigate whether entrances to the hall for this event were segregated by the society and will ensure there is no recurrence of this.

Continues. http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... egregation
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#70  Postby THWOTH » Apr 15, 2013 1:04 pm

I can't really see have that 'investigation' can last any longer than half-an-hour for someone with an internet connection.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Oeditor » Apr 15, 2013 1:24 pm

DoctorE wrote:
The talk, entitled Does God Exist?, featured a guest speaker Hamza Tzortzis as part of an Islamic Awareness week. Seating at the event was segregated, with different entrances into the lecture theatre for men and women.
Well, it's certainly done its job. All of Leicester University and a lot more beyond are now aware of an unsavoury aspect of Islam.

A message on the group's website says: "In all our events, [the society] operate a strict policy of segregated seating between males and females." The statement was removed after the Guardian contacted the society.
It would appear, then, to be something that the University authorities certainly needed to be made aware of. Thank you Hamza Tzortzis.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Shrunk » Apr 15, 2013 2:16 pm

It's not clear from the report: Did the event at Leicester occur after the one at UCL?

Ah, so when they kept saying the UCL debate was not supposed to be segregated, they were lying. Good to know.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Teague » Apr 16, 2013 4:58 pm

Good Job Lawrence!

UCL? :nono: :nono: :nono: Disgraceful!
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Oeditor » Apr 16, 2013 6:14 pm

Shrunk wrote:It's not clear from the report: Did the event at Leicester occur after the one at UCL?
I read it as more recent than UCL, from the way they tagged on the UCL account. Fwiw, "islamic Awareness Week was 11th to 17th March. Krauss threatened to quit on 9 March...just in time to predate the Leicester jig (for which I can't find an actual date). Either the Grauniad was a long time catching on, or they held it later.

Ah, so when they kept saying the UCL debate was not supposed to be segregated, they were lying. Good to know.
The Grauniad account was not very clear. I think they were just saying that all the Leicester Islamic meetings were segregated. So the UCL society and the Tzortzis crew are only guilty by association. Apart from being guilty, that is.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Shrunk » Apr 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Oeditor wrote:The Grauniad account was not very clear. I think they were just saying that all the Leicester Islamic meetings were segregated. So the UCL society and the Tzortzis crew are only guilty by association. Apart from being guilty, that is.

I still have a hard time believing they were not aware of the events that unfolded at UCL. If not, Tzortzis should have clued them in and made sure there was not a repeat. Assuming he did not want a repeat, which is a big "if." The fact that they used exactly the same procedure that caused them to be banned form UCL (Signs saying "Brothers" and "Sisters" indicating separate entrances) seems to me an obvious act of provocation and defiance.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs