Lisa Montgomery

US carries out first federal execution of a woman in nearly seven decades

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Lisa Montgomery

#1  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 13, 2021 9:36 am

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/13/us-carries-out-first-federal-execution-of-a-woman-in-nearly-seven-decadest

A Kansas woman was executed early on Wednesday, the first time in nearly seven decades that the US government has put to death a female inmate.

Lisa Montgomery, 52, was pronounced dead at 1.31am after receiving a lethal injection at the federal prison complex in Terre Haute, Indiana. She was the 11th prisoner to receive a lethal injection there since July when Donald Trump, an ardent supporter of capital punishment, resumed federal executions after a 17-year hiatus.

An appeals court granted Montgomery a stay of execution on Tuesday, shortly after another appeals court lifted an Indiana judge’s ruling that found she was likely mentally ill and couldn’t comprehend she would be put to death. But both appeals were lifted, allowing the execution of the only female on federal death row to go forward.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Lisa Montgomery

#2  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jan 13, 2021 10:00 am

She wasn't harming anyone. I have no idea how a nation can justify this.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 13, 2021 1:32 pm

I can't figure out what the point of killing this woman was.

Sure her crime was horrible, but it's hardly a deterrent to others with a similar mental state that would make them capable of such a crime.

To me it looks like yet another horrible thing to put on the list of horrible things Donald Trump has done to gratify his own twisted ego (I believe he now holds the record for "most federal executions carried out in one presidential term").

I just hope to hell those nuclear codes are well beyond his reach since he seems intent on pushing his personal mass murder count well over the million mark.

Ironically, I can think of several (strictly utilitarian) reasons Donald Trump should be summarily executed.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » Jan 13, 2021 2:40 pm

This is Trump demonstrating his 'strong man' credentials to his fascist base. I very much doubt he feels any real antagonism towards this woman; he probably feels nothing whatsoever. She is just a means to an end - ingratiating himself with the most repellent of people. It is cold, calculated, intentional ... it's Presidential murder. If he could have arranged to shoot her down on Fifth Avenue, he would have done so, but only because that would appeal even more to his fans. There is nothing that can be done to him legally that even comes close to inflicting the amount of suffering he deserves.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Arcanyn » Jan 13, 2021 4:00 pm

It's not about impressing his base, it's about his own desire to feel powerful. He's doing it for the thrill of having power of life and death over another human being, that same feeling that serial killers chase. He's probably feeling some measure of disappointment that he wasn't in a position to be able to carry out the execution with his own hands.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 13, 2021 4:32 pm

I just read more about the case here(BBC) and the details around the woman's utterly broken life are horrible.

Any way you cut it Montgomery was another victim and her execution was self serving vengeance by the authorities who had so utterly failed her pure and simple.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 13, 2021 4:56 pm

It's a culture of penal retribution.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby tuco » Jan 13, 2021 5:27 pm

Why are those who, allegedly, committed crimes against her not prosecuted? Are they dead?
tuco

Print view this post

#9  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jan 13, 2021 8:40 pm

tuco wrote:Why are those who, allegedly, committed crimes against her not prosecuted? Are they dead?

Some of them might be. But no-one who committed those crimes was ever brought to book, and those who knew about it turned a blind eye and said nothing.

Imagine living in a world like that.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#10  Postby tuco » Jan 13, 2021 8:56 pm

Well, I honestly cannot nor I want to.

The article Tortured_Genius posted states:

Lisa Montgomery's current legal team has conducted some 450 interviews with family members, friends, case workers, doctors and social workers. Stitched together, they form a tapestry of family dysfunction, abuse, neglect, professional negligence, substance abuse and untreated mental illness.

so I would think such a body of work could be a foundation for an investigation into the matter. And if numerous people knew about it, weren't they committing a crime by being silent? I know, I am getting off-topic but it's mindblowing what is possible in let's say the modern world.

Lawyer Kelley Henry says one of the things that disturbs her most is that adults in positions of authority were told about what was going on but did nothing.

When Shaughnessy eventually split from her second husband, she and Montgomery testified in divorce proceedings about the sexual assaults. The judge in the case scolded Shaughnessy for not reporting the abuse - but did not report the abuse himself.

"There were so many opportunities where people could have intervened and prevented this," says Henry.
tuco

Print view this post

#11  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jan 13, 2021 9:16 pm

tuco wrote:Well, I honestly cannot nor I want to.

Nor I.

I have been following this for some time, hoping that kindness and some sense of guilt from those responsible would prevail, provide mitigation, reading all that is available out there, horrified at what she endured.

I actually came here to read what the members from USA were saying about the current Trumpington proceedings, but this caught my eye.

Very sad to hear this morning that they had gone ahead with the execution, although that is tempered with the thought that now she is out of all mental suffering.

Poor woman.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#12  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 13, 2021 11:43 pm

Arcanyn wrote:It's not about impressing his base, it's about his own desire to feel powerful.

Why does it have to be one and not the other?

He's doing it for the thrill of having power of life and death over another human being, that same feeling that serial killers chase. He's probably feeling some measure of disappointment that he wasn't in a position to be able to carry out the execution with his own hands.

I doubt he'd even sully his eyeballs by looking at her, let alone throw the switch. Power from a throne is enough for this toad. His only likely regret is that she wasn't brown.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby don't get me started » Jan 14, 2021 12:33 am

Contrast this cruel, vindictive, cold-blooded killing of a mentally ill and traumatized woman with the pardon of Blackwater operatives who engaged in a killing spree against unarmed civilians in Iraq.

Trump's moral depravity is demonstrated in stark terms here.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#14  Postby romansh » Jan 14, 2021 1:34 am

don't get me started wrote:Contrast this cruel, vindictive, cold-blooded killing of a mentally ill and traumatized woman with the pardon of Blackwater operatives who engaged in a killing spree against unarmed civilians in Iraq.

The one thing in common (I suspect) for the two situations, there was no attempt to rehabilitate the parties involved.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs