Maryland Marriage Equality Debate (Audio)

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Maryland Marriage Equality Debate (Audio)

#1  Postby quill » Feb 11, 2011 3:47 am

It looks like Maryland is going to be the next state to offer full marriage equality for its citizens.

Same-sex marriage bill picks up new supporter

Baltimore County Sen. James Brochin will support legalizing gay marriage if, as expected, his attempt to change the contentious legislation into a civil unions bill fails.

Brochin, a Democrat, said his position changed after listened to a seven hour hearing in the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee. He said he felt "appalled and disgusted" by the "hate and venom" offered by opponents of the same-sex marriage bill.

Read more: http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/lo ... ks_up.html

I was curious about the "hate and venom" referred to, so I found a link to an audio recording of the entire 7-hour hearing here. It is under the Judicial Proceedings Committee for February 8.

I must admit, I haven't had the stomach or the patience to listen to it all. But be prepared for some genuine sleaze from a lawyer for the Alliance Defense Fund. His disingenuous sophistry gets him laughed at more than once, which almost makes the listen bearable.
"Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it’s just the opposite." ~John Kenneth Galbraith
quill

Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs