Minneapolis 3rd Precinct set on fire

Minneapolis Riots

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Minneapolis 3rd Precinct set on fire

#1021  Postby don't get me started » Apr 23, 2021 12:11 pm

Animavore wrote:
A former Minneapolis police officer called Derek Chauvin's guilty verdict a 'tragedy,' saying he fears it will start a 'new trend' of sending cops to prison

https://www.insider.com/derek-chauvin-e ... end-2021-4

:lol:

So, he is worried about a change in the way things are done leading to more police officers facing prosecution?
Hold on a minute...
As we were often told when new stop and search laws were enacted, new cybersecurity laws implemented, the patriot act was ushered in and all of the many other infringements of our civil liberties were slipped in while the citizenry dozed...

''If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear.™

Yeah, right....
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#1022  Postby arugula2 » Apr 24, 2021 8:46 am

There’s a lot packed in the statement. In their way of thinking, there’s no causal relationship between “done something wrong” and “going to prison”. The rules are, if you’re not in the in-group, you go to prison, or if you don’t it’s on someone’s goodwill. “Done something wrong” is incidental. What the public prosecution of a cop suggests is that cops won’t always be in the in-group - but of course they will. This was a ritual trial. Virtually all who knew him turned against him, and his trial was on the heels of the biggest ruckus black people (& empathetic others) have made in this country since the 60s. Cities burned.

This is the goat the tribe symbolically dumps all its sins into & drives it off a cliff, to pretend itself clean. The other goat is Floyd, who gets posthumously branded a sacrifice to a good cause - by octogenarian millionaires who would probably have crossed the street to avoid him.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
    - Neruda
arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#1023  Postby The_Piper » Apr 24, 2021 12:59 pm

Pelosi's statement was surprisingly clueless and bizarre. Like I've been saying, she needs to retire, in the best interests of the country. I'm not both-sidesing, I'm just saying. Her statements are more " :picard: "every week.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1024  Postby arugula2 » Apr 24, 2021 6:26 pm

Anyone fetishizing the “two sides” narrative in the context of Floyd or other state crimes against black Americans is a patsy or worse. The fascistic laws that enabled dogs like Chauvin were written, promoted & funded by politicians on “both sides”, who were voted into office by many of the same folks that now have Black Lives Matter decals on their bumpers and lawns, and whose votes those politicians still court. The four favorites in the Democratic primary (minus Warren & Sanders) were all part of the police state, each with his/her own horror stories of complicity in the fascist white supremacist movement. Biden is the only one who didn’t crash because of it - for obvious & dumb reasons, the biggest being the protective embrace of people like Clyburn (Pelosi’s right hand man).

Pelosi doesn’t have to campaign beyond SanFran, so her messaging can be as empty and clueless as she wants. She doesn’t have to do shit to please anyone, since no one has the cojones to challenge her power. She can wear Kente cloth & tell Floyd what he was good for, and the people disgusted by it are generally people who don’t matter.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#1025  Postby Seabass » Apr 24, 2021 8:26 pm

I just hope to see Pelosi in a dashiki before she retires.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#1026  Postby Seabass » Apr 24, 2021 8:27 pm

The_Piper wrote:Pelosi's statement was UNsurprisingly clueless and bizarre. Like I've been saying, she needs to retire, in the best interests of the country. I'm not both-sidesing, I'm just saying. Her statements are more " :picard: "every week.

FIFY
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#1027  Postby The_Piper » Apr 25, 2021 7:25 am

Seabass wrote:
The_Piper wrote:Pelosi's statement was UNsurprisingly clueless and bizarre. Like I've been saying, she needs to retire, in the best interests of the country. I'm not both-sidesing, I'm just saying. Her statements are more " :picard: "every week.

FIFY

Perhaps, in the context of the past several years, but I was still surprised. "Thank you for sacrificing your life" is bizarre in any context. Even if coming from a certain retired politician at Mar-a-bronzo.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1028  Postby arugula2 » Apr 25, 2021 1:32 pm

Eh... I mean... what a yardstick, amirite? Yet even that baboon phrased it something like "Hopefully, George is looking down on" whatever the fuck the occasion was, and seeing that "this is a great day", meaning the initiative being rolled out that day was going to create jobs or whatever. There's a kind of baboonish deference to the dead there. Pelosi's measured, un-adlibbed, and (I'm sure she thought) sympathetic thought was, 'This negro's life will be worth something after all'. There's a familiarity there, and a casual white supremacism imo. The kind of presumptuousness that gives Biden permission to tell black people they "ain't black if", or to scold a room of black representatives & organizers for not knowing their station. Just less crass and demented, more matronly.

The familiarity isn't coincidence - I think she was just repeating something someone close to him had said earlier that day. Key phrase being 'close to him'. These anachronistic rulers aren't the kind to burn crosses on your front yard, they're the kind to wander into your living room and tell you what nice things you've managed to collect for yourself, and aren't you proud of your progress, and no they're not staying, thank you.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#1029  Postby The_Piper » Apr 25, 2021 9:18 pm

Like I said, not both-sidesing, just pointing out that Pelosi is a gaffe machine and that statement was fucked up. While I don't know much about being speaker of the house, I imagine there must be someone else in the house who could do a better job. At least communicating with the public. The link is to a video almost 2 hours long, so I won't hear what you mean about it, it's too long and life's too short. I'm aware that Biden is a gaffe machine combined with a fairly terrible track record on "race relations" so I'll take your word for it. He was at the time about the most right wing Democrat available for this job. Given that I expected nothing, I've also been surprised that we got a few crumbs. Though someone threw into the last stimulus a provision to come after online income starting at $600. If that's not going after the little guy instead of the super-rich, I'm a monkeys uncle. My nephews and nieces aren't monkeys! They're apes, technically. :dopey:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1030  Postby arugula2 » Apr 25, 2021 11:09 pm

Their ‘problem’ might be communication... the problem is that they’re elitist white supremacists, and they run the world.

I’ve read some persuasive articles about the blur between “monkey” and “ape”... idk if that’s a positive or a negative, on the whole. :P

Re the 2-hr meeting... what’s worse is the subservience. Power worship isn’t unique to this country, but only in this country does it have such potential to accelerate the end of the world.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#1031  Postby Seabass » Jun 09, 2021 11:06 pm

Cop signals to pregnant woman to pull over for speeding. Pregnant woman slows down, turns on hazard lights, plans to proceed to nearest exit and pull over. Cop then hits her with pit maneuver, sends her car careening into concrete barrier before rolling several times. Protect and Serve!

Seabass

Print view this post

#1032  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 09, 2021 11:54 pm

You should pull over when law enforcement stops you... or else.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1033  Postby The_Piper » Jun 10, 2021 12:45 am

Makes you wonder how OJ didn't have a scud missle launched at him. In all seriousness, fuck that shit. The Grand Theft Auto IV generation are cops now. :ill:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1034  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jun 19, 2021 12:09 am

Portland riots: Police crowd-control team resigns after officer indicted (BBC)

I do hope the authorities don't cave in over this - everyone should be treated equally under the law.

Although it has to be said policing in the US, to foreign eyes, seems like a bizarre affair. How the hell does having a volunteer riot police unit work? It seems to me like an absolute magnet for racists and bully-boys.

(In the UK at one time we had a similar unit, the Special Patrol Group, which was renowned for being full of racists and bully-boys. It was disbanded in 1987)
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1035  Postby The_Piper » Jun 19, 2021 1:06 pm

They're still police officers, just not doing that squad anymore. Which is a good thing considering how badly they treated protestors. Though the town I grew up in had regular police and "auxiliary" police for a while. I think the auxiliaries were volunteer and unpaid, but waiting to join the paid force when a vacancy appeared. The cops where I grew up were so inept, criminal, and corrupt, that it was stranger than fiction. It still is that way, afaik.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1036  Postby Animavore » Jun 25, 2021 8:11 pm

22.5 years. Damn!
RTE: Chauvin offers 'condolences' to family of George Floyd at sentencing hearing.
https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2021/0625/12 ... rge-floyd/
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#1037  Postby Hermit » Jun 25, 2021 11:48 pm

He'll be released on parole in 15 years at the latest. That is if an appellate court doesn't overturn the conviction in the first place.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#1038  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 26, 2021 12:13 am

I'd still call the finding and the sentence something to be happy about. I don't see a lot of value in keeping anyone who is unlikely to reoffend in prison for more than fifteen years. Dude will never be employed in a field where there's a risk of him using excessive force again. I hope his ex-wife is OK.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1039  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 26, 2021 1:43 am

A couple of days ago, a local city police car executed a traffic stop, directly in front of my van, right at quitting time, blocking the entrance to the fenced compound where I set up my shop every day. Foolishly imagining a good outcome, I dismounted from my van, and walked to the parked police car, stopping three to four meters away from his open passenger window, in full view of that officer.

In words and gestures, I asked him which way should I go to leave the premises. There was enough room to get around behind him, even with my van, but I'd have had to drive against the flow of traffic to do it. I didn't hear his reply the first time. Traffic noise. When I asked him to repeat himself, I heard him clearly. "Rock, paper, scissors."

Nicely and perfectly non-committal, wasn't it? Fucker couldn't be bothered to answer a citizen's question appropriate to the circumstances. Fuck no, he had to be a smart ass instead. I simply gave him a thumb's up gesture while asking "That's fucking helpful, isn't it?" I heard him yammering something as I spun on my heel to return to the compound and wait the asshole out, as I exclaimed over my shoulder: "Prick!".

The problem with that smart ass answer is, it is fucking useless. The cowardly prick couldn't bother to actually make a decision and be responsible for it, hence the invitation to me to play myself a little game of rock, paper, scissors, to decide where to go. That way, if the fucker decides he didn't like it, for any bullshit reason, he'd seize me for some made-up traffic violation. Because I had the fucking temerity to ask him a question on getting around his half-assed traffic stop. What happened was, the driver made the decision to stop exactly where they did. The cop didn't analyze or control the stop. There was hundreds of meters of clear shoulder to do that stop. He just pulled in behind the driver he stopped.

This is the daily kind of shit that makes me not care what happens to cops. The disdain that fucker had toward me was palpable. He couldn't even bother to treat me like I was worthy of an answer.

This is how the fucker thinks when there is nothing going on. Imagine how this will play put when it counts. Citizens don't matter to this asshole when contact is trivial. When it counts, this cowardly prick is going to waste someone. He'll claim officer safety.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1040  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 26, 2021 1:48 am

Tortured_Genius wrote:Portland riots: Police crowd-control team resigns after officer indicted (BBC)

I do hope the authorities don't cave in over this - everyone should be treated equally under the law.

Although it has to be said policing in the US, to foreign eyes, seems like a bizarre affair. How the hell does having a volunteer riot police unit work? It seems to me like an absolute magnet for racists and bully-boys.

(In the UK at one time we had a similar unit, the Special Patrol Group, which was renowned for being full of racists and bully-boys. It was disbanded in 1987)

If I had the means, I would buy billboard space in Portland, and publish the names of every pig who is trying to get the public to change their minds because they won't protect us if we don't. Every single one of these resigned crowd control team members.

I don't even have words for the contempt I have for them.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs