Minneapolis 3rd Precinct set on fire

Minneapolis Riots

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Minneapolis 3rd Precinct set on fire

#921  Postby Mike_L » Aug 30, 2020 1:10 pm

arugula2 wrote:Image
Omg it's so cute. :awesome:

Look at the window, man! Look at the window!

house.jpg
house.jpg (80.73 KiB) Viewed 843 times
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#922  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 31, 2020 7:45 am

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#923  Postby arugula2 » Aug 31, 2020 5:39 pm

Oh fuck... I forgot he wasn't the original Zazu! Sorry, Rowan. :facepalm:

It's a good representative set of clips:
    - whitewashing the South Carolina confederate flag take-down (Haley)
    - "our black neighbors" (Pence) ...Ken's white flight dream house :lol:
    - changing zoning laws will put white people in danger & destroy the suburbs (McCloskeys)
    - of course we need militias to kill protesters since the police won't do it (Tucker Carlson)
    - protesters getting shot is their fault for not obeying curfew (police chief Miskinis)
    - young black men should be warehoused until they're dead & to keep them from reproducing (David Beth)*
    ---- (*"I don't think I'm saying anything different than most people in society [are] thinking - but they're afraid to say it.")

...representative of Republican voters, that is.

But exactly the audience the Dem party wants to woo, and who vote sheriffs like Beth into office.

But he kneels, you see, so everything's good.
Attachments
Kenosha.jpg
Kenosha.jpg (118.91 KiB) Viewed 756 times
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#924  Postby The_Piper » Aug 31, 2020 7:14 pm

That sheriff holds some pretty outdated and disgusting views. I'm surprised it didn't make the national news in 2018, but there was probably some Trump emergency going on at the time that simply buried it.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#925  Postby arugula2 » Aug 31, 2020 7:45 pm

A public scolding wouldn't change people's voting habits, that's the problem. He'd resign, but unless the power structure around & above him is rearranged, it won't do any good.

One good thing Trump's election has done is push the woodlice (racist Republican voters) to full view, or they'd still be hiding under the surface (polite American conversation about racism).

If the Dem leadership were interested in outing the racism in government, they'd have more direct language about it - but it would be difficult for Biden to distance himself from it, since that's his legacy. (Hillary was in the same boat.) It would be brave to try, but he's not in it to make change, he's in it for his résumé. The current Dem plan is to speak directly to those voters who like to elect people like Beth, and reassure them that turning away from Trump isn't going to get their suburban neighborhoods invaded by brown people.

That course was set a long time ago, and there's no signal that this ship is getting re-routed anytime soon. They're playing the Repub party's game, but poorly... as usual.
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#926  Postby arugula2 » Aug 31, 2020 8:40 pm

We never want to probe it and deal with it. We want to just kind of say, "That's them." But one of the things I think you have to do is understand it. To denounce hate is not necessarily to denounce white supremacy. If statues come down, racism can still be up.

Many of these statues that are now the focus of attention were placed between 1898 and 1922. Which means they were not so much celebrating the Civil War, they were celebrating the return of codified white supremacy in the law.
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#927  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 01, 2020 6:52 am

Not related to BLM, but yet another example of disproportionate police violence:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#928  Postby arugula2 » Sep 01, 2020 10:15 am

Plenty of deranged uniformed thugs to go around... And just wait for the thumbnails when the video ends. Plenty of BLM material there.
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#929  Postby Cito di Pense » Sep 01, 2020 11:57 am

arugula2 wrote:he's not in it to make change, he's in it for his résumé.

Change? You mean, change we can believe in? Or change we can implement? We could try looting:

On Thursday, as Donald Trump was about to accept the Republican nomination from the South Lawn of the White House with warnings that “No one will be safe in Biden’s America,” National Public Radio was doing its small part to make sure the president would be re-elected.

NPR’s assistance in this matter was surely unwitting. But that doesn’t make it any less effective.

The assist came in the form of a lengthy interview by NPR’s Natalie Escobar with Vicky Osterweil, author of “In Defense of Looting.” The book makes the case for looting because it “attacks some of the core beliefs and structures of cisheteropatriarchal racial capitalist society”; “rejects the legitimacy of ownership rights and property”; and “reveals all these for what they are: not natural facts, but social constructs benefiting a few at the expense of the many, upheld by ideology, economy and state violence.”

To judge by the NPR interview, “In Defense of Looting” is not an interesting book. It speaks for almost nobody beyond the fringe left — and certainly not for looters who hadn’t thought about “cisheteropatriarchalism.” The fact that the publisher is an imprint of the international conglomerate Hachette (2018 revenues, approximately $2.7 billion) compounds foolishness with hypocrisy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/31/opin ... tests.html

I don't know what to expect in Biden's America, and don't really worry that it might come to pass, but no one with anything to lose and who isn't a phony intellectual will be safe in Vicky Osterweil's America. What a résumé she's got, now.

To be fair, the authors of the above-linked article don't pretend that most rioters have been reading Osterweil. But they've caught whatever ails them from someone who knows someone who has read Osterweil or somebody like her.

On the other hand, you could read Mike_L's latest quoting of an article from RT.com, and speculate that they're rioting because the American Dream has passed them by, and they couldn't come up with a replacement.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#930  Postby Cito di Pense » Sep 01, 2020 12:32 pm

arugula2 wrote:unless the power structure around & above {David Beth] is rearranged, it won't do any good.

Gold star, here, for regaining contact with reality, instead of just contextualizing it. The devil's in the details, of course, which is what analysts always miss.

arugula2 wrote:It was a hypothetical.

Oh, analysts!

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#931  Postby Hermit » Sep 01, 2020 12:45 pm

Yeah, well rioting, looting and destroying private property is never justifiable unless you can back your actions up with a closely reasoned manifesto. :naughty:

Like "No taxation without representation".

Or maybe people just got pissed off with the ineffectiveness of non-violent protests. They don't need to submit a peer reviewed thesis to your supervisor in an accredited institution for that to be an understandable - even justifiable - yet regrettable reaction.

In the end people condemn riots, looting and general violence if the other side gets into them.

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#932  Postby arugula2 » Sep 02, 2020 6:24 am

From Daily Caller, a pro-Trump, pro-Rittenhouse outfit. The first video wants you to know that although they want to hail Rittenhouse as a misunderstood good Samaritan, one of their own cameramen tried to render aid to his victim.

One shot. Then 4 shots, the first of which drops the shirtless hippy with the bandana. Then 3 more shots. Then Rittenhouse emerges from the other end of the car and jogs over to see.

Also, in the pre-homicide video at bottom: that self-love he exhibits on his face at 0:12, after pointing to his first aid kit & saying he's here to put himself in harm's way to help people? That look is from too many fresh-baked biscuits, I'm afraid.

arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#933  Postby arugula2 » Sep 02, 2020 9:52 am

Anthony Huber was his second killing.

After reading the CNN account and comparing it to the video, the first victim corresponds to the 8 shots I heard. Then Rittenhouse ran away from the car lot. Huber must've approached him moments after that, having heard the shots, to try to stop him or disarm him. He'd pushed his lady (Hannah) away, put himself between Rittenhouse and everyone else, then reached for the gun.

Hannah has a Gofundme set up to help her and their 9-year-old daughter survive - it's currently at around US$ 150k.

The Moonie Washington Times reports that Gofundme and Fundly - two for-profit companies - both took down fundraising pages set up for Rittenhouse's defense fund. A christian fundraising site, Givesendgo, stepped in. It has raised around US$ 350k. Because of course.

My initial search on this fundraising site yielded 4 results:

(click to enlarge)

The guy at the top right was fired by my state's (MD) Republican governor, for voicing some opinion about Rittenhouse's actions; and now he needs money. He whines that he posted his opinions on his "private social media account" (pause to :lol: ) and that all he suggested was that "perhaps Rittenhouse was defending himself in what appeared to be an unfortunate situation for all involved".

Example:

It gets funnier. Notice in the photo on his fundraising page, he's surrounded by little brown children. His title was Deputy Director of the governor's Office of Community Initiatives. I looked it up. It's a liaison for community and volunteer activities between the state government and minority communities. It oversees, for example, a historical commission whose task is "preserving evidence of and documenting the African-American experience". You can't make this shit up.

Moving on. The fundraiser @ top left looks a lot like the one for Rittenhouse (bottom right). Not an accident, obviously - and they have his name in the title. It's set up by a PAC in Florida, to raise money for people who are not Rittenhouse. Will it fool any of these idiot christian (probable) racists? Well, this was the first donation I saw (most recent at the time):

Charles & Virginia. :nod: You disappoint me.

(By the by, his law firm reports they've actually secured over US$ 600k, when combined with other fundraisers.)

On the correct fundraising page, this was the top (most recent) donation message:

Now I know it happens, but two people in a row who can't read? Kyle, you weren't "defending yourself and your community", as you crossed a state border to test out your gun. You ran back to "your community" and your mommy, afterwards. Or does this donor have something else in mind when he says "community". :think: Things that make you go hmm...

The best search result was the one @ bottom left, of course. It's to raise bail money for lgbtq people. They've raised zero money, of course. But they did receive 6 prayers so far. :lol:

Anyway, it's the only one of the 4 that's worth looking at, so here it is:
Attachments
givesendgo-lgbtq.png
givesendgo-lgbtq.png (224.53 KiB) Viewed 563 times
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#934  Postby Alan C » Sep 03, 2020 1:28 am

I had wondered about this photo op but wouldn't have picked this.

Trump turns Kenosha into campaign prop

And perhaps most strikingly, Trump pretended to stand alongside a local camera-shop owner. The NBC affiliate in Milwaukee reported overnight:

A Kenosha business owner is accusing President Donald Trump of using his destroyed store for political gain. Tom Gram’s century-old camera shop burned to the ground a week ago during the unrest in Uptown Kenosha. Gram said he declined President Trump’s request to be a part of his tour of damage Tuesday in Kenosha. Instead, a former owner of the shop was invited and he praised the president’s efforts.

So, let me see if I have this straight. Trump held a pseudo campaign event in front of the remains of Rode’s Camera Shop in Kenosha, which was destroyed during local unrest last week. The owner and longtime employee of the shop didn't want to get caught up in the president's political circus, so he rebuffed a White House invitation to participate.

Trump instead stood alongside someone who sold the business eight years ago -- and simply pretended he was the current owner, who, naturally, sang the president's praises during yesterday's photo-op.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#935  Postby arugula2 » Sep 03, 2020 1:31 am

Attachments
america.PNG
america.PNG (970.32 KiB) Viewed 505 times
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#936  Postby arugula2 » Sep 03, 2020 5:42 am

AP footage from body cam, uploaded to youtube 3 hours ago.

Prude had probably smoked a PCP-laced joint, hence his walking around naked & incoherence. He had not resisted being handcuffed. He was handcuffed and seated, and did not pose any visible threat. The hood was placed on him as part of an apparent covid protocol (this was in March). When he clumsily stirred as if to get up, he was pinned down by his head.

Over a span of 2 minutes 15 seconds, his twitching slowed down, and his voice trailed off. The guy pinning his head down says "You good now?" No answer. No movement. He continues pushing down on his head for another 45 seconds.

When his brother had referred him to the police over the phone, he recalls telling them "My brother ain't a threat to nobody but his damn self. Don't kill my damn brother." Apparently speaking to that same cop, who later came to his door after the incident, but didn't tell him Daniel was unresponsive by then.
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#937  Postby Cito di Pense » Sep 03, 2020 6:39 am

arugula2 wrote:Prude had probably smoked a PCP-laced joint, hence his walking around naked & incoherence....

When his brother had referred him to the police over the phone, he recalls telling them "My brother ain't a threat to nobody but his damn self. Don't kill my damn brother." Apparently speaking to that same cop, who apparently came to his door after the incident, but didn't tell him Daniel was unresponsive.

The brother's statement is not strictly true. Unless Prude is cooking the stuff in his own kitchen, he's keeping some dealer in business and that one is a threat to others if only to protect his business. I'm not opposed to decriminalizing lots of controlled substances except that people occasionally do become threats to others when under the influence and trying to operate heavy machinery. Even a bicycle can be a lethal weapon in the hands of the wrong idiot. I don't expect perfect security, so I try to keep an eye out for these, but you know what I mean.

If communities were better able to police themselves, there'd be no need for this, but we are a long way from better community policing, and when (if) Trump is re-elected, we are farther than ever from that goal. It's been said plenty that the police neither need nor want the job of cleaning up what looks to them like nothing but somebody else's mess.

Go sit on the sidelines and grump if you don't get the candidate of your dreams. If you plant ice, as the Grateful Dead explained, you're gonna harvest wind.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#938  Postby arugula2 » Sep 04, 2020 6:40 am

A slowed-down clip from this video. (Inside Edition)

Earlier this summer. Rittenhouse's sister is in the purplish sweatpants, fighting with the girl in the white sweatpants. A boy in a white t-shirt is attempting to separate them by picking the sister up and trying to carry her away. The sister has a good grip on the (white sweatpants) girl's hair. This seems to be why that girl is stooping forward for the duration, being dragged along as the boy is pulling the sister away.

Rittenhouse is in the foreground, in the multicolored shorts, taking swings at the (white sweatpants) girl. He is above & behind her the whole time, swinging at her. The reporter in the original clip is heard saying he lands 3 punches. In the slowed-down version, I counted 6, in 3 groups of 2. Every single punch is from behind & above her, while her head is bowed and she's being dragged by the hair. At least one punch is to the side of the head.

Notice, also, his final 2 punches are preceded by a defensive posture (dukes up, to protect himself from... her retreating, stooped back, I suppose) and when he does deliver the last two punches, his body is fully extended, to keep as much of himself at a distance as possible.

The boy in the green top eventually reaches for him, to push him away, before the recording cut off.

A quivering coward, like almost all white supremacists with big guns are.
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#939  Postby The_Piper » Sep 04, 2020 7:48 pm

Hey, let's defend a budding sociopathic murderer from the scales of justice, to the tune of half a million. We're in bizarro world. :yuk:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#940  Postby Tortured_Genius » Sep 04, 2020 11:23 pm

The_Piper wrote:Hey, let's defend a budding sociopathic murderer from the scales of justice, to the tune of half a million. We're in bizarro world. :yuk:

Aye, reading the fundraising ads made me feel physically sick, especially when compared to what has been raised for the families of the people he murdered. :puke:

Hmm - wonder if a case could be made for the seizure of such monies to compensate his victims families? :ask:
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs