Minneapolis 3rd Precinct set on fire

Minneapolis Riots

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Minneapolis 3rd Precinct set on fire

#981  Postby Seabass » Jan 14, 2021 7:01 pm

Kyle Rittenhouse, out on bail, flashed white power signs at a bar, prosecutors say
In his 90-minute visit to the bar, Kyle Rittenhouse, 18, was seen consuming alcohol while being serenaded by a group of adult men who sang the Proud Boys’ anthem, according to the motion.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Antifa Provocateur

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#982  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 14, 2021 7:38 pm

I would ask why the flying fuck a multiple murderer is out walking the streets (even if it's only "alleged" WTF?).

But he's white and right wing so he gets a pass I suppose.

You know your political and legal systems are fucked right?
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#983  Postby Seabass » Jan 14, 2021 7:41 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:

No shit.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#984  Postby The_Piper » Jan 14, 2021 9:13 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:I would ask why the flying fuck a multiple murderer is out walking the streets (even if it's only "alleged" WTF?).

But he's white and right wing so he gets a pass I suppose.

I'm assuming this is rhetorical, but just in case. He's out walking the streets because Lin Wood and the My Pillow con man bailed him out. His bail was 2 million, and people are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Multiple murderers get out on bail all the time. Correct, usually they're the white ones. I don't know how much the GoFundME account had to do with it, but thousands of god-fearin' Christians had donated to his legal fund.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#985  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 14, 2021 11:09 pm

They can always refuse to set bail, but I think that's usually in the case where they're a danger to others or a flight risk. Well getting spotted chumming around with white supremacists can't be good for that first one, or his case.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#986  Postby Seabass » Jan 17, 2021 4:08 am

Not All Cops Are Bad.

A DC police officer said it was 'absolutely my pleasure to crush a white nationalist insurrection' after a video of him trapped against a door by a pro-Trump mob went viral

A Washington DC police officer who was seen a viral video being crushed in a doorway by a pro-Trump mob during the siege on the Capitol last week said it was his pleasure to "crush a white nationalist insurrection."

"If it wasn't my job I would have done that for free. It was absolutely my pleasure to crush a white nationalist insurrection," Daniel Hodges told NBC. "I'm glad I was in a position to be able to help. We'll do it as many times as it takes."

https://www.businessinsider.com/dc-officer-says-hed-crush-white-nationalist-insurrection-again-2021-1

ETA: Jesus Christ:

"We were battling, you know, tooth and nail for our lives," he said. "We held the line there in that doorway, and I guess I got pinned through the small back-and-forth we had fighting for, you know, every inch. And I had my arms pinned at that point, I wasn't able to defend myself."

In a now-viral video that was shared on social media, a bloodied Hodges is seen screaming for help as he is being crushed against a metal door frame inside the Capitol building.

Hodges said one rioter ripped off his gas mask and beat him with his own baton, while another tried to gouge his eye.

"At that point, I was also, you know, sucking in OC and CS gas, so I was pretty disabled at that point," he said. "I thought, you know, this might be it. I might die and there's nothing I can do to defend myself at this point. So I just started screaming at the top of my lungs for them to give me a way out, get me a line of retreat. Thankfully someone was able to do that and I was able to extricate myself."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/dc-police-officers-speak-us-capitol-siege-thought/story?id=75270773
Seabass

Print view this post

#987  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 17, 2021 6:04 am

It's now pretty clear that the cops on the ground at the Capitol were totally outgunned and outnumbered. Under those circumstances they did absolutely the right thing by trying to keep things as cool they possibly could and not resort to gunfire - they'd quickly have been overwhelmed and the insurrectionists would have got to the politicians they were trying to protect.

It also explains why some officers were chatting and taking selfies with the invaders - it's much harder to murder the person you were talking to a minute ago...

The elephant on the room is how the police were left in that position.

It is now clear that this was a very real coup attempt - prepared for by people with "access" (including legislators).

The crowd were mainly composed of wingnuts (the cosplayers taking a dump on official's desks), sheep/cannon fodder (the people wandering about taking selfies) and neo-nazi terrorists (the people with mace sprays, glocks and zip-ties). The latter will be the ones the FBI really, really want to find along with the men behind the curtain who cleared the way.

Trump was quite obviously briefed on and aware of precisely what would happen and was in full weasel mode. Prepared to deny all knowledge but ready to accept the crown should it be offered to him.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#988  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 17, 2021 6:19 am

Tortured_Genius wrote:
It is now clear that this was a very real coup attempt - prepared for by people with "access" (including legislators).

Very true, and it will be months or years before we see everyone who is going to be facing penalties for that participation. It won't stay at the top of the news cycle for more than a few weeks at most. What you'll see in 2022 is that the elections landscape has not changed much, because you won't hear much about how it has changed, if at all except for the composition of the national legislature. You won't hear much about state legislatures unless you look for the relevant reports.

At this point, you don't even know whether there will be further attacks/insurrections at or before the inauguration of Biden. A guy was arrested at a checkpoint near the US Capitol yesterday with a Glock and 500 rounds of ammunition, mainly because he had lots of gun lobby stickers on his vehicle. I wonder what sort of officer suspected him, leading to his arrest. The charge was carrying a firearm without a permit. So it goes with more than a few gun rights activists.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#989  Postby The_Piper » Jan 23, 2021 4:55 pm

I've been having continuous suggested videos on YouTube of short reports of people arrested for the capitol riot from their local news stations. Invariably, they cite pictures of the accused, usually that the accused shared on social media, and show them on the reports.
I'm still dumbfounded at their profound stupidity. (pun not intended) During a pandemic when health care workers have been urging people to wear masks for almost a year, they pass up the opportunity to commit crimes anonymously due to virtue-signalling that they're too cool for masks. Then post pictures of themselves in the capitol, further signalling their virtues...that they're morons. This is really bizarre, and unsettling that this level of stupidity walks among us. :crazy:
Even after 4 years of Trump, I'm still being amazed, and it's still surreal.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#990  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 23, 2021 5:28 pm

If there was ever a more clear example of privilege than feeling safe in taking down the seat of government while broadcasting your identity, I don't think you could find it.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#991  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 23, 2021 5:56 pm

Unfortunately I can't locate the report, but I was reading that something like 20% of the rioters arrested are ex-military and are looking at the full 20 years for insurrection in direct contravention of their military oaths.
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#992  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 23, 2021 5:59 pm

I haven't seen that number, but because of how open these morons were to letting themselves be found, this might be one of the only situations where we can accurately determine the makeup of a group like this.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#993  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 23, 2021 6:09 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:I haven't seen that number, but because of how open these morons were to letting themselves be found, this might be one of the only situations where we can accurately determine the makeup of a group like this.

Putting "capitol ex-military arrests" into google gets multiple hits from the last few weeks and that estimate looks about right from the numbers being quoted. (It also picked up some hilarious reports like the arrested rioters disappointed that they didn't get a pardon from Trump).

There truly was some premium grade stupidity on display - that guy carrying the confederate flag who's photograph was widely published was wearing a GPS tag as one of his bail conditions... :doh:
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#994  Postby The_Piper » Jan 23, 2021 8:18 pm

Confederate guy was already out on bail while storming the capitol? :shock:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#995  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 23, 2021 8:28 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:Unfortunately I can't locate the report, but I was reading that something like 20% of the rioters arrested are ex-military and are looking at the full 20 years for insurrection in direct contravention of their military oaths.

I wouldn't buy that. The oath of enlistment isn't even binding under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. There is no punitive article for violating it. Further, it would cease to have any weight at all once the member is discharged.

I'm good with the sentence for motherfuckers who should fucking know better, though.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#996  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jan 23, 2021 8:31 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
I'm good with the sentence for motherfuckers who should fucking know better, though.

is there any sort of political education in the military?

we got a crash course in ‚laws you need to know‘ in the German Airforce.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

meh
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#997  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 23, 2021 8:33 pm

For those people subject to the UCMJ, the penalty for sedition is stiffer than 20 years confinement. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/894

The maximum penalty is death. I'm good with that, too. Motherfuckers who are subject to the UCMJ are supposed to be the last line of defense for the Constitution. Fry a couple. Send a message to the rest.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#998  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 23, 2021 8:39 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:

is there any sort of political education in the military?

we got a crash course in ‚laws you need to know‘ in the German Airforce.

The most competent officers I have ever served under have been Luftwaffe.

But, in our forces, there isn't any political education, to my knowledge. There is certainly some cursory training regarding military justice.

I've had occasions to be more closely involved with military justice over the years, so I probably have a little more depth of knowledge of it than many on active duty. I've been a witness for the government once, a bailiff once, and technical expert for defense counsel once, as well as attending a few courts martial as a spectator.

Active duty military would be prosecuted for the insurrection under Article 94 UCMJ.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#999  Postby The_Piper » Jan 23, 2021 8:56 pm

I've seen singular reports of there being retired firefighters and cops too, plus current state government officials (soon to be former, I hope). The guy who tossed a fire extinguisher at capitol policeman's heads was a retired fire fighter, ironically. Many of the same assholes who wiped feces and urine all over the capitol probably supported the 10 year mandatory sentence that Trump whined about for knocking over a statue. They should support 20 year sentences for themselves then, if so. The capitol is a little more important to our country, and history, than a slab of concrete shaped like a human. They smeared shit on the so-called "people's house".
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1000  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 23, 2021 9:35 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
Tortured_Genius wrote:Unfortunately I can't locate the report, but I was reading that something like 20% of the rioters arrested are ex-military and are looking at the full 20 years for insurrection in direct contravention of their military oaths.

I wouldn't buy that. The oath of enlistment isn't even binding under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. There is no punitive article for violating it. Further, it would cease to have any weight at all once the member is discharged.

Probably my faulty memory then - OTOH at least 2 serving police officers (from Virginia) are amongst those arrested (Buried Here).

This Jan. 6, 2021 photo made available by the United States Capitol Police in a complaint and arrest warrant shows Rocky Mount, Virginia,Police Department Sgt. Thomas "T.J." Robertson and officer Jacob Fracker in the Capitol.
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs