Moby The Creep

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Moby The Creep

#81  Postby SafeAsMilk » May 27, 2019 12:56 am

Oh, you gotta be an underground black metal hipster to get that one.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby Macdoc » May 27, 2019 1:52 am

Just watch Portman in The Professional for virtual signalling.
SHE wanted to do a nude behind the shower curtain scene to tease Leon but that got nixed. Wild child indeed.
But then she really can act.....even then.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Keep It Real » May 27, 2019 2:52 am

I remember reading here people saying roughly "I really don't give a micro-fuck what people think of me" - is that virtue signalling? Moral relativity seems to preclude any firm definition frankly - it's all subjective. Perhaps the only true virtue signalling can be achieved by somebody shrieking fire and brimstone from the pulpit.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.

Sometimes "A hero is someone who's too frightened to be a coward" - Cracker
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#84  Postby laklak » May 27, 2019 4:14 am

virtue.png
virtue.png (5.6 KiB) Viewed 275 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Svartalf » May 27, 2019 6:38 am

OK, so virtue signalling is the conspicuous show of being virtuous that Jesus warned his followers against. Duly noted.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Cito di Pense » May 27, 2019 7:48 am

Svartalf wrote:OK, so virtue signalling is the conspicuous show of being virtuous that Jesus warned his followers against. Duly noted.

It's just speech. It's aimed at someone, usually someone assumed to support certain values. In that sense, it is like what Roger Ebert, the film critic, once described as "horizontal prayer". See if you can figure out what that means, given that I've mentioned the audience the signal is aimed at.

It's no guarantee that the speaker emulates any of those values. It implies a belief that making speeches is a way to change society, and then that might or might not be the end of the workday. Just ask tuco. Or, consider the speeches made in the UK parliament, or any number of other parliamentary bodies. What actually changed the way people voted in the EU elections? Not least it was having observed that some people make a lot of speeches and accomplish sweet fuck-all.

Does anyone here really need to know that Moby was or was not creepy a number of years ago? Sure, the entertainment value is evidently through the roof.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on May 27, 2019 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#87  Postby tuco » May 27, 2019 7:53 am

You got it wrong. Unlike you, I am not making speeches. I provide information and let the reader decide. Of course, when I react to posters like you, there is no information I can provide and am left with trying to insert some sense into idiotic or obscure babbling.
Last edited by tuco on May 27, 2019 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby Cito di Pense » May 27, 2019 7:56 am

tuco wrote:You got it wrong. Unlike you, I am not making speeches. I provide information and let the reader decide.

So you imagine, tuco. Like a lot of online trolling, your remarks and replies to them illustrate an extraordinary gap between your actual influence and your imagined influence. We could call it "praying for lurkers". Go with God, tuco.

Your disjointed ramblings about the role of work and robots seem mainly to be distillations of fantasy literature you've read.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on May 27, 2019 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#89  Postby tuco » May 27, 2019 7:58 am

See? What can be said to that? Nothing sensible. Bye
tuco

Print view this post

#90  Postby Cito di Pense » May 27, 2019 8:04 am

tuco wrote:See? What can be said to that? Nothing sensible. Bye

If you mean "see you later", don't just say "bye". The difference does not require advanced ability in English, and is one of the first things someone learning a second language has to deal with. I'm sure you know how to do it, but threw a tantrum, instead.

tuco wrote:Where is Cito to give lessons on prolonging the agony of poorly-sketched ideas and ideals?

See, tuco? Now you know.

tuco wrote:Or perhaps he is not hmm brave enough to take on the mob and likes to pick loners and looners exclusively.

Awww. Are you claiming to be some kind of loner? Just above, you claim to be providing information to a rapt audience.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#91  Postby tuco » May 27, 2019 8:37 am

Yeah I mean see you later. Putting you on the list but as always you have a chance to rehabilitate yourself.
tuco

Print view this post

#92  Postby Keep It Real » May 27, 2019 10:37 am

Svartalf wrote:OK, so virtue signalling is the conspicuous show of being virtuous that Jesus warned his followers against. Duly noted.

And of course Xtianity is the only religion in town. This whole virtue signalling idea is about as toxic an idea as ideas can get, I reckon. It basically says: "think twice before speaking up for good deeds or vilifying bad deeds 'cos you might be deemed to be virtue signalling, even if you're not (and there's NO way to tell baring some kind of intimate psychological dissection of the accused) - better just to keep your mouth shut and mind your own business most likely."
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Cito di Pense » May 27, 2019 10:52 am

Keep It Real wrote:

And of course Xtianity is the only religion in town. This whole virtue signalling idea is about as toxic an idea as ideas can get, I reckon. It basically says: "think twice before speaking up for good deeds or vilifying bad deeds 'cos you might be deemed to be virtue signalling, even if you're not (and there's NO way to tell baring some kind of intimate psychological dissection of the accused) - better just to keep your mouth shut and mind your own business most likely."

That's as wrong as a wrong thing on wrong juice, to quote a clever rant. The identification of virtue signalling is a feature of the chatworld and of occasional snark on the opinion pages. You don't believe the latter are the measure of literacy, do you? You have not begun to articulate all the assumptions that go into asserting that 'speaking up for good deeds' is anything but a leftover from church, or the distillate of some cosmically abstract wibble from the distal wings of social psychology or psychological paleontology. You're not being told to "mind your own business", because you're just trumpeting what you believe in, and not telling anyone else how to behave. Or are you? News for you, bub: All those within earshot are the finest of upstanding citizens, except for the occasional remark about Paris Hilton, which shouldn't condemn anyone to the inner circles of Hell. I'm only telling you the way it looks to me; it's just, like, my opinion, man.

If ideological purity is what you're after, go with God.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Fallible » May 27, 2019 11:38 am

Girls...girls...please.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Cito di Pense » May 27, 2019 11:41 am

Fallible wrote:Girls...girls...please.

lol [\tuco]

You and jamest:

Fallible wrote:I refuse to believe you’re this stupid.

Girls.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby Keep It Real » May 27, 2019 6:47 pm

I actually now reckon accusing somebody of virtue signalling should probably be against the FUA...perhaps I got out of the female side of bed this morning :dunno: :lol:

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#97  Postby Keep It Real » May 27, 2019 7:09 pm

I really wish Greta Thunberg would stop virtue signalling :rofl:

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#98  Postby tuco » May 27, 2019 7:28 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I actually now reckon accusing somebody of virtue signalling should probably be against the FUA...perhaps I got out of the female side of bed this morning :dunno: :lol:

I'd be happy if I could tell such accusers to fuck off.

Spinozasgalt put it nicely:

One claims "virtue signalling" when one wants to signal to certain people that one is, and one's values are, more real and sincere than the people with whom one is engaging.

To such, "fuck off" is a completely appropriate response from where I sit.
tuco

Print view this post

#99  Postby Keep It Real » May 27, 2019 7:45 pm

I found that post of his basically impossible to parse at the time, but your quote makes sense and is right imo.

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#100  Postby tuco » May 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Yeah, when s/he gets serious its like reading Kant (no pun!).
tuco

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs