Motorola wins Xbox and Windows 7 ban in Germany

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

Motorola wins Xbox and Windows 7 ban in Germany

#1  Postby DoctorE » May 02, 2012 3:30 pm

Motorola Mobility has been granted an injunction against the distribution of key Microsoft products in Germany.

The sales ban covers the Xbox 360 games console, Windows 7 system software, Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player.

It follows a ruling that Microsoft had infringed two patents necessary to offer H.264 video coding and playback.

A US court has banned Motorola from enforcing the action until it considers the matter next week.

The handset maker is in the process of being taken over by Google.
Appeal

This is just one of several cases involving about 50 intellectual properties that the smartphone maker has claimed that Microsoft should have licensed.

Microsoft has said that if it met all of Motorola's demands it would face an annual bill of $4bn (£2.5bn). Motorola disputes the figure.

Continues: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-17924190
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Microsoft kicked from Germany

#2  Postby aban57 » May 02, 2012 4:37 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Threads merged.
Weaver

Microsoft just lost its trial against Motorola in Germany. Issue with the pattern H.624, whatever it is. Justice gave reason to Motorola, ordering Microsoft to remove all X Box 360 from the sale, along with windows 7.
Apparently this decision didn't surprise much Microsoft, since they already removed all stocks from Germany and brought them to Netherlands.
aban57

Name: Cédric
Male

France (fr)
Print view this post

Re: Motorola wins Xbox and Windows 7 ban in Germany

#3  Postby chairman bill » May 02, 2012 5:55 pm

So M$ don't want to pay, so they should be allowed to not pay? Is that the M$ argument? If they infringed the patents, haven't licensed them, then they should be paying, shouldn't they?
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 02, 2012 5:56 pm

DoctorE wrote:
Microsoft has said that if it met all of Motorola's demands it would face an annual bill of $4bn (£2.5bn). Motorola disputes the figure.

So that's a reason not to do it, is it? I thought Microsoft were big on intellectual property theft? Or is that only individuals that infringe on their copyright?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Microsoft kicked from Germany

#5  Postby Sityl » May 02, 2012 7:06 pm

A google search for H.624 microsoft Germany brings this page as the first result.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Animavore » May 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Sityl wrote:A google search for H.624 microsoft Germany brings this page as the first result.

There's reason for that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ofWFx525s[/youtube]

EDIT: Seriously. Google anything discussed on this site. You'll find a fair few searches will give this site first. It happens for me too.
With regard to heretics two points must be observed (heretic and Church).. On their own side there is the sin, whereby they deserve not only to be separated from the Church by excommunication, but also to be severed from the world by death.

- Aquinas.
Animavore

Name: Tinsle von Clevage
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Wiðercora » May 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Doesn't Google own Motorola?
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby aban57 » May 02, 2012 8:05 pm

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2012/0005 ... emagne.htm

If it's wrong, my bad. This website usually provides accurate informations, didn't take the time to check this one.

I won't make the same mistake again.
aban57

Male

France (fr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby aban57 » May 02, 2012 8:06 pm

But it doesn't look false, it's on all the french news websites, even Le Monde
aban57

Male

France (fr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Jumbo » May 02, 2012 8:13 pm

chairman bill wrote:So M$ don't want to pay, so they should be allowed to not pay? Is that the M$ argument? If they infringed the patents, haven't licensed them, then they should be paying, shouldn't they?

No its not. One argument is that the licencing is being administered in a manner that breaches anti trust legislation. Apple are also complaining about Motorola for exactly the same reasons.

I wonder exactly what it is that Motorola is licencing. Its not the H.264 codec itself as they did not invent that so surely it must be something a little more obscure.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby The_Metatron » May 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Transposition. It's h.264, a standard for compressing video, commonly used on Blu-Ray players.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another." - Carl Sagan
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs