Mum's breastfeeding photo deleted by Facebook

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Mum's breastfeeding photo deleted by Facebook

#1  Postby Made of Stars » Oct 31, 2014 11:48 am

A photograph of a mother breastfeeding her premature baby has gone viral after it was deleted by Facebook.
Emma Bond's picture of her feeding newborn Carene was removed after complaints it contained nudity.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29831637

WTF Facebook? Why didn't they ask a grown up before they start deleting things. :nono:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Mum's breastfeeding photo deleted by Facebook

#2  Postby Sendraks » Oct 31, 2014 11:53 am

Facebook have a consistent policy on this.

Women posing provocatively in skimpy clothing = fine.
Women breastfeeding, even if actual exposure of breast is minimal = horrendously offensive.

The policy is to be consistently fuckwitted.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Made of Stars » Oct 31, 2014 2:24 pm

In this case, there is zero nudity. Someone needs a slap upside the head.

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby NamelessFaceless » Oct 31, 2014 2:31 pm

Whoever did the complaining. That's who needs the slap.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby babel » Oct 31, 2014 2:35 pm

But if racism is reported or, as in a case a while back when women's pictures were added to a sort of shame-the-slut-page*, it took them several weeks to make a move, despite massive reportings.

* I didn't invent that name. :sigh:
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#6  Postby purplerat » Oct 31, 2014 3:09 pm

babel wrote:But if racism is reported or, as in a case a while back when women's pictures were added to a sort of shame-the-slut-page*, it took them several weeks to make a move, despite massive reportings.

* I didn't invent that name. :sigh:

It's Facebook, what do you expect? And I don't say that as a slight at Facebook. It just is what it is and that's a social media site which relies on having as many members as possible logging on as often as possible. They don't make these policies as moral pronouncements of what is decent and what is not. Rather it's about keeping people coming back. So what this tells me is that more people will stay away from Facebook over nudity/breastfeeding than they will over racism or sexism, which given the demographic of Facebook users seems about right to me.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 31, 2014 3:19 pm

Made of Stars wrote:
A photograph of a mother breastfeeding her premature baby has gone viral after it was deleted by Facebook.
Emma Bond's picture of her feeding newborn Carene was removed after complaints it contained nudity.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29831637

WTF Facebook? Why didn't they ask a grown up before they start deleting things. :nono:

This is part and parcel of the reason why I've deleted my account. They need to stop dictating their provincial mores in a global platform.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby Strontium Dog » Oct 31, 2014 3:56 pm

Last week called, it wants its synthetic outrage back.

By the time this thread had been started, Facebook had already reversed its decision and amended its policy.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 31, 2014 4:02 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:Last week called, it wants its synthetic outrage back.

By the time this thread had been started, Facebook had already reversed its decision and amended its policy.

Doesn't mean the outrage is synthetic.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby ED209 » Oct 31, 2014 4:12 pm

Oh, so now it's obligatory to keep abreast of everything occurring on the internet :rolleyes:. Most people don't have the time for that.

(and yes I said abreast)
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#11  Postby Onyx8 » Oct 31, 2014 4:19 pm

Follow the money. It has nothing to do with mores, outrage, synthetic or otherwise, morals or anything else. It's about getting bums on seats. Purplerat said it.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby The_Piper » Oct 31, 2014 4:23 pm

It sounds like this was a case of tit for tat, when it went viral. She's allowed to share stuff like that with her bosom buddies, and strangers alike. Facebook, the melons heads they are. Never mind a cup, have a jug of go fuck yourself. Have a couple of em! Never mind titbits, she's a gonna knocker you out with the publicity.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby ED209 » Oct 31, 2014 4:26 pm

That's a lot of puns to get off your chest.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#14  Postby The_Piper » Oct 31, 2014 4:31 pm

ED209 wrote:That's a lot of puns to get off your chest.

I saw yours, and acted like a boob. :teef:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Acetone » Oct 31, 2014 5:10 pm

I think that Facebook automatically removes content when it receives a lot of complaints about it until they get a chance to review it.

If that's the case it's a bit silly to get mad about this, given how many people shared it there was likely a lot of prudes reporting it. image gets removed > human finally gets to review the case > image gets put back up.

Was anyone harmed during this?

Even if it were removed by a human though, why's it that big of a deal? It's a private company they can filter whatever the fuck they want to... It's not as if this is her private photo album. Which is how people treat facebook. Kinda of sad really because do people even have or make photo albums anymore???
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 31, 2014 9:34 pm

Acetone wrote:I think that Facebook automatically removes content when it receives a lot of complaints about it until they get a chance to review it.

If that's the case it's a bit silly to get mad about this, given how many people shared it there was likely a lot of prudes reporting it. image gets removed > human finally gets to review the case > image gets put back up.

Even if it were removed by a human though, why's it that big of a deal? It's a private company they can filter whatever the fuck they want to... It's not as if this is her private photo album. Which is how people treat facebook. Kinda of sad really because do people even have or make photo albums anymore???

That a private company can do what it wants doesn't preclude criticizing those actions.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Oct 31, 2014 9:39 pm

Boobies are bad, mkay?
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Oct 31, 2014 9:48 pm

Acetone wrote:

I think the same could be said for the criticizing of Facebook policy criticism.

At what level does this infinite regress become acceptable?
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Acetone » Oct 31, 2014 11:35 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
Acetone wrote:

I think the same could be said for the criticizing of Facebook policy criticism.

At what level does this infinite regress become acceptable?

Removing images =/= publishing/distributing personal information without your knowledge. Rofl?

I mean criticize away, criticizing what images are deleted or not deleted isn't gonna affect their bottom line. Seems like a waste of energy and time.
Last edited by Acetone on Nov 01, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Made of Stars » Oct 31, 2014 11:47 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:Last week called, it wants its synthetic outrage back.

Synthetic outrage? Next you'll be blaming the mum for wanting to post pics of her wee one. Nice moves.

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs