NHS

News and information

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: NHS

#61  Postby Sendraks » Oct 03, 2017 5:22 pm

It is one of the barriers to local NHS reconfigurations to be sure but, its not insurmountable. The NHS just needs to get better at explaining why the changes are necessary and also, adapting plans in the face of feedback. Some local reconfigurations (such as the move of Huddersfield A&E to Halifax) were doomed from the get go, simply because the plan failed to recognise the dire transport links between Huddersfield and Halifax. Bad ideas like that, tend to damage public confidence in the local NHS to reconfigure itself sensibly.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Tracer Tong » Oct 03, 2017 5:46 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Of course the word compromise is not common in British society and politics.

It's relatively rare in the latter, but it's pretty common in the former.

Scot Dutchy wrote:NYBYism is typical British.

Assuming you mean NIMBYism, that's typically British insofar as it's typically human.
Tracer Tong

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 04, 2017 9:19 am

Sorry for the spelling as it does appear here at all.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Sendraks » Oct 04, 2017 10:07 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Sorry for the spelling as it does appear here at all.

You mean the word or the behaviour?
The behaviour almost certainly occurs in the Netherlands, given it is human behaviour and the Netherlands is populated by humans.
It might not be called NIMBYism in Dutch but, there's probably a word in the language which captures what is meant by the phrase "Not In My Back Yard."
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#65  Postby mrjonno » Oct 04, 2017 10:49 am

Nimbyish is plain human nature, everyone wants someone else to pay for things, they want houses, rubbish disposal but not near them. They want a personal hospital than is down the road.

Human beings really aren't very rational and don't do large scale problems very well
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 04, 2017 11:06 am

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Sorry for the spelling as it does appear here at all.

You mean the word or the behaviour?
The behaviour almost certainly occurs in the Netherlands, given it is human behaviour and the Netherlands is populated by humans.
It might not be called NIMBYism in Dutch but, there's probably a word in the language which captures what is meant by the phrase "Not In My Back Yard."

I know what it means. In Dutch the phrase does not exist.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#67  Postby mrjonno » Oct 04, 2017 11:08 am

Hate to correct you but... not just the phrase but the politics in it exists in the Netherlands too (as you would expect)

http://www.linguee.com/english-dutch/translation/not+in+my+backyard.html
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 04, 2017 11:10 am

mrjonno wrote:Hate to correct you but... not just the phrase but the politics in it exists in the Netherlands too (as you would expect)

http://www.linguee.com/english-dutch/translation/not+in+my+backyard.html

Of course you translate it but it is still not a current phrase.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#70  Postby mrjonno » Oct 04, 2017 11:23 am

To be fair a lot of those sources are from Belgium, where the Belgium (one of their languages) for Nimby is well Nimby!
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 04, 2017 11:47 am

mrjonno wrote:To be fair a lot of those sources are from Belgium, where the Belgium (one of their languages) for Nimby is well Nimby!

Different cultures. Belgium is very like Britain when it comes to land ownership. They are very protective of their rights. I have been shot a couple of times in the woods to the east of Brussel during the hunt season.
Housing here is mostly shared. Very few free standing houses. It is terraces of apartments. We have never had land ownership as in Britain. It is basically a middle class run country. We dont have nobility in the British sense. The king is appointed by parliament and has no natural rights. He was never appointed by god as Liz thinks.

During the 'wederopbouw' (re-building) in the 50's people learnt to accept impositions put upon them. It still remains in the psyche. The Dutch dont object much and rely on the system to sort things out. Even when the immigrant centres were set up a few objections were made but quickly compromises were reached which is the way things normally happen.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Fallible » Oct 04, 2017 12:21 pm

:roll:
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#73  Postby ronmcd » Oct 04, 2017 12:59 pm

I will ride to the rescue and end this thread:

NHS good.
NHS could be better.
NHS keep the Tories hands off it, England, if you have any sense.

My pleasure.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 04, 2017 1:05 pm

It needs reorganising and taken out of government hands.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby ronmcd » Oct 09, 2017 8:03 pm

Sorry, I prefer the Scottish NHS system where there are still central Health Boards, with *organised* commissioning of services within local authority areas, with no competition for our health care "business" between "providers".
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Sendraks » Oct 09, 2017 8:07 pm

This. This story is worth keeping an eye on. If anyone is genuinely interested in this I suggest looking up Rosie Cooper MP's recent PQ and debate activity on commons hansard.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#78  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 10, 2017 8:38 am

ronmcd wrote:Sorry, I prefer the Scottish NHS system where there are still central Health Boards, with *organised* commissioning of services within local authority areas, with no competition for our health care "business" between "providers".

Central Health boards are inefficient and expensive which is why we changed the whole system in 2006 and now provide the best care in Europe.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#79  Postby ronmcd » Oct 10, 2017 9:01 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
ronmcd wrote:Sorry, I prefer the Scottish NHS system where there are still central Health Boards, with *organised* commissioning of services within local authority areas, with no competition for our health care "business" between "providers".

Central Health boards are inefficient and expensive which is why we changed the whole system in 2006 and now provide the best care in Europe.

Well that's fucking awesome, well done you.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 10, 2017 9:12 am

ronmcd wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Well that's fucking awesome, well done you.

Well Scotland could change very easily. You are a small population.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs