Noah's Ark theme park opens in Kentucky

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Noah's Ark theme park opens in Kentucky

#61  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jul 12, 2016 7:06 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:There where no torrents, the waters gently rose cuz it was raining everywhere.
Except on the mountains.
It probbably only rained over water
and where it was flat enough to not cause torrents
Or something.

I thought the grand canyon and other geological features were explained by a great flood "torrent". :think:
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#62  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jul 12, 2016 8:01 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
Agi Hammerthief wrote:There where no torrents, the waters gently rose cuz it was raining everywhere.
Except on the mountains.
It probbably only rained over water
and where it was flat enough to not cause torrents
Or something.

I thought the grand canyon and other geological features were explained by a great flood "torrent". :think:

Hey, don't change the topic!
That was from the waters running off afterwards, wasn't it?

Sorry, I get confused by this sort of BS.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 16, 2016 6:04 am

If the assorted drivel from creationists is to be taken at face value, the original floating petting zoo was supposedly twice the size of a Ticonderoga Class guided missile cruiser. Similar length, but twice the beam.

Just one slight problem. Ask any marine or naval architects responsible for ships this size what would happen, if you tried building a vessel that size from wood, and chances are they'll charge you not only for their consultancy time, but for the change of underwear after they've wet themselves laughing. There's a whole brace of reasons wooden ships were limited in size to around a maximum of 250 feet in length, the inability of larger vessels to remain watertight during hogging and sagging being merely one of them, and that's in seas with modest wave heights. The moment any full-sized Ark replica meets a wave of the sort that paid a "trick or treat" visit to Sendai in 2011, it'll be turned into a very large pile of matchwood in fairly short order. Just to give you an idea what that wave was like, here's the view from a Japanese coastguard cutter (one, needless to say, made of steel, despite being a lot smaller) ...

I think we should let Ken Ham tow that scow out to Japan and let it ride another tsunami, with him aboard.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jul 16, 2016 8:02 am

Calilasseia wrote:If the assorted drivel from creationists is to be taken at face value, the original floating petting zoo was supposedly twice the size of a Ticonderoga Class guided missile cruiser. Similar length, but twice the beam.

Just one slight problem. Ask any marine or naval architects responsible for ships this size what would happen, if you tried building a vessel that size from wood, and chances are they'll charge you not only for their consultancy time, but for the change of underwear after they've wet themselves laughing. There's a whole brace of reasons wooden ships were limited in size to around a maximum of 250 feet in length, the inability of larger vessels to remain watertight during hogging and sagging being merely one of them, and that's in seas with modest wave heights. The moment any full-sized Ark replica meets a wave of the sort that paid a "trick or treat" visit to Sendai in 2011, it'll be turned into a very large pile of matchwood in fairly short order. Just to give you an idea what that wave was like, here's the view from a Japanese coastguard cutter (one, needless to say, made of steel, despite being a lot smaller) ...

I think we should let Ken Ham tow that scow out to Japan and let it ride another tsunami, with him aboard.

You have not taken into account that the Holy Ark's wood was strengthened & protected with spiritual armour and held together with angel nails! :dopey: :)
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#65  Postby DoctorE » Jul 16, 2016 11:00 am

DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Alan B » Jul 16, 2016 11:58 am

The Telegraph
300 cubits? More like 30 cubits. Some scribe misread an ancient text - just as Plato did when translating Egyptian Hieroglyphs and ended up with an island that would not fit into the Med. Hence, 'Atlantis'.

All the animals? Another misreading, methinks. Probably refers to all the domesticated animals in his possession - cows, sheep, goats, (pigs?), chickens, ducks, etc. Maybe a bird or two of prey - falconry was not unknown then, I suspect (this would explain a bird returning to the 'Ark' after the flooded rivers subsided - a common occurrence in those times.

My pet idea, but better than Ken 'Ignorance' Ham - although it won't make as much money, if at all. :lol:

I mentioned pigs since he was allowed to take unclean animals on board.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#67  Postby crank » Jul 16, 2016 1:04 pm

DoctorE wrote:

Ken Ham was looking pretty spiffy, the dark glasses, is he going hollywood? One guy says the 'specificity' was amazing, what should be much more amazing is why they don't ask where it came from, there ain't many in the texts. Does it have food storage areas? How many cages? And we heard the 40 days 40 nights, why not the 180 days in the other version? What do these fools say about that?

The animatronics looked pretty amazing, I'll give them that, at least onscreen. I'd love to go and see it myself. Can't wait for phase 2 which is a walled city and phase 3 unspecified, but due in 2 years. One of the reporters in the clip gave himself away with the rather telling 'evolutionists' term when describing those Ham has debated.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#68  Postby crank » Jul 16, 2016 1:13 pm

Calilasseia wrote:If the assorted drivel from creationists is to be taken at face value, the original floating petting zoo was supposedly twice the size of a Ticonderoga Class guided missile cruiser. Similar length, but twice the beam.

Towards the beginning and off to the left, it looks like there is an area where the wave crests. They must be fairly close to shore with a shallowing depth if that's what that was and not some wind thing or ?? If I understand it correctly, both wave velocity and wave amplitude are depth dependent, with amplitude it's an inverse relationship. In open ocean, the velocity is hundreds of miles an hour, amplitudes generally undetectable to someone onboard with no instruments. Since this wave was so obvious, I think that would mean they were in close to shore, or at least in fairly shallow water. That all applies to tsunamis, I don't have a clue how any of it relevant to storm seas or rogue waves.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 16, 2016 2:32 pm

Well according to the mythology in question, the waters of the fantasy Flud didn't become 9,000 metres deep overnight. Plus, since this petting zoo was supposedly built on dry land initially, then floated off as global sea levels purportedly rose, it would have spent the initial part of its voyage in shallow water. Shallow enough for tsunamis to be an issue. Especially in any environment where the storm systems were capable of dumping six feet of rain per hour non stop for six weeks across the entire planet. That amount of energy isn't unleashed into the oceans without massive input of turbulent flows. Even if you suspend your suspicion of the entire fairy tale long enough to ignore the rampant thermodynamic unreality of the scene depicted, the fluid flows that would arise would involve unheard of Reynolds numbers alone.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#70  Postby scott1328 » Jul 16, 2016 3:05 pm

So torrents then
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby crank » Jul 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Why hasn't the MPAA stepped in?
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jul 17, 2016 12:25 am

I am so glad they didn't forget the Penguins, and cleverly colour-coded the sexes with red and blue. But apparently they didn't check to see if any of the animals were gay, as we are missing quite a few. Quite understandable, as homosexuality is an abomination to them.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#73  Postby Animavore » Aug 16, 2016 7:02 am

Ark Encounter Is A Financial DISASTER, Ken Ham In A Panic.

Earlier this summer, creationist Ken Ham opened the massive waste of lumber known as the Ark Encounter.

The Ken Ham creation located in Williamstown, Kentucky, claims to be a life sized re-creation of Noah’s ark from the flood myth in Genesis.

In the myth, the Hebrew god Yahweh tells Noah that he’s about to drown every living thing on the planet. He asks Noah to build a ship with which to save himself and his family from the impending destruction.

In addition, Yahweh tells Noah to load the ship with two of each kind of animal on earth so that once the floodwaters subside, Noah can then release the animals and life will sort of “re-set,” only ideally a little less wicked this time around.

http://www.liberalamerica.org/2016/08/1 ... n-sinking/
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Onyx8 » Aug 16, 2016 3:38 pm

Great comment: "Should've made it into a water park. Guests enter the ride two-by-two whilst getting drenched by "rain." In just a few minutes, the viewing area they are in fills to the top and the guests drown. The end.

What better way to experience Yahweh's Love and Benevolence?"
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Shrunk » Feb 27, 2017 5:41 pm

Grant Co. leaders: Ark Encounter doesn't live up to economic promise

Ham called the Ark a success but its success has not had quite the ripple effect that many in Grant County expected.
“It’s been a great thing but it’s not brought us any money,” said Grant County Judge-Executive Steve Wood during a break from a budget meeting.

“I was one of those believers that once the Ark was here everything was going to come in. But it’s not done it. It’s not done it. I think the Ark’s done well and I’m glad for them on that. But it’s not done us good at all.”

http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Grant- ... 91203.html
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#76  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 27, 2017 6:34 pm

More fool them.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Alan B » Feb 27, 2017 7:31 pm

They would be better off building a Hogwarts - they'd have kids and their families queuing up.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#78  Postby felltoearth » Feb 27, 2017 7:56 pm

In other words "We've been phenomenally scammed for millions of dollars, but if I admit that, I'll be tarred, feathered and run out of town on a rail."
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#79  Postby laklak » Feb 28, 2017 12:11 am

I'm impressed that Noah knew about bulbous bow design thousands of years before we knew enough hydraulic engineering to design one.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#80  Postby zulumoose » Feb 28, 2017 8:17 am

Its pretty irrelevant which end is which anyway, since there is no propulsion except random wind patterns, or the chaotic and violent currents of an entire world filling up rapidly with water and then receding.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs