Nukemap - Interactive nuclear explosion in your neighborhood

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Nukemap - Interactive nuclear explosion in your neighborhood

#1  Postby BrandySpears » Feb 17, 2012 9:59 pm

A cool interactive map of the radius of nuclear explosions.
http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

1. enter coordinates
2. select bomb size
3. detonate
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Nukemap - Interactive nuclear explosion in your neighborhood

#2  Postby Wiðercora » Feb 17, 2012 10:02 pm

Huh. Would have thought it be a bit bigger than that. I'm a little less awed now.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby quixotecoyote » Feb 17, 2012 10:03 pm

I've played with that before. I'm in the north KC area, so if we strike first, I'm probably ok because they'll spend the bombs elsewhere. If they go first, I'm screwed because they'll probably blanket the area trying to knock out all the silos around here.

We've got so many silos in Kansas/Missouri they're selling the extras off for condo space. No joke.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby BrandySpears » Feb 17, 2012 10:06 pm

I found the "little boy" Hiroshima size interesting. I thought it was a much bigger explosion.
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby campermon » Feb 17, 2012 10:16 pm

BrandySpears wrote:I found the "little boy" Hiroshima size interesting. I thought it was a much bigger explosion.

Not bad, though, for a first try..

I did the 'minuteman' one of the centre of my city. I found out that I'd suffer 3rd degree burns.

I used to have nightmares about nuclear war as a child growing up in the late 70's and 80's!

:whine:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby willhud9 » Feb 17, 2012 10:20 pm

I always thought that if a nuclear bomb hit Washington the radiation would spread as far south as Richmond. But the presets don't list a bomb strong enough. Huh.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby campermon » Feb 17, 2012 10:26 pm

willhud9 wrote:I always thought that if a nuclear bomb hit Washington the radiation would spread as far south as Richmond. But the presets don't list a bomb strong enough. Huh.

Possibly radioactive 'fallout', depending on the prevailing winds.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Rome Existed » Feb 17, 2012 11:48 pm

BrandySpears wrote:I found the "little boy" Hiroshima size interesting. I thought it was a much bigger explosion.

Yeah, those nukes were tiny. A conventional bombing raid could have caused more damage and killed more people.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Rome Existed » Feb 17, 2012 11:50 pm

campermon wrote:
willhud9 wrote:I always thought that if a nuclear bomb hit Washington the radiation would spread as far south as Richmond. But the presets don't list a bomb strong enough. Huh.

Possibly radioactive 'fallout', depending on the prevailing winds.

Depends if you do an airburst or not.

If you're just trying to kill people at the target then you do an airburst which limits fallout.

If you're trying to destroy hardened structures which are buried then you do a ground hit and that has a lot of fallout.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 17, 2012 11:54 pm

I tried this out, with a 15 megaton Bikini Atoll weapon dropped on Manchester. Basically, such a weapon would unleash so much destructive force, there would be burns and shrapnel casualties in parts of Liverpool. Even though the hypocentre would be 22 miles from me, I'd be fucked.

Drop a 15 megaton weapon on Bradford, and you'd flatten Leeds with the same weapon. There would be blast and burns casualties in York and Manchester.

Drop a 50 megaton "Tsar Bomba" type weapon on central Manchester, and you'd effectively destroy the whole of Lancashire, Cheshire and much of West Yorkshire in one go. The potential exists for burns casualties to be inflicted on people as far away as Lancaster, Rhyl and Doncaster. Drop the same weapon on Birmingham, and you'd inflict catastrophic damage as far out as Shrewsbury, Nottingham and Cheltenham. Drop it on London, and the damage would reach as far out as Oxford and Milton Keynes. Drop it on Glasgow, and you'd fry Dunfermline and the outskirts of Edinburgh.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Feb 18, 2012 12:15 am

I think the reason that we are finding the results so disappointing is that we have spent so much of our lives worrying about it but never spent any time putting it in perspective. Monsters are always scarier the less you know about them.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 18, 2012 12:18 am

For the Americans, the stats are as follows for a "Tsar Bomba" type weapon:

New York: damage as far out as Trenton, New Jersey;
Philadelphia: damage as far out as Atlantic City, New Jersey;
Washington DC: damage as far out as Baltimore, Maryland;
Pittsburgh: damage as far out as Youngstown, Ohio;
Birmingham, Alabama: damage as far out as Tuscaloosa, and you'd destroy the Talladega National Forest in the ensuing firestorm;
Atlanta, Georgia: damage as far out as Gainesville;
Orlando, Florida: damage as far out as Lakeland, Daytona Beach, and possibly even as far out as Tampa;
Houston, Texas: damage as far out as Galveston;
Los Angeles, California: damage as far out as Palmdale, Riverside and Mission Viejo;
San Francisco, California: damage as far out as Santa Rosa and Stockton, and anyone looking in that direction from Sacramento would be blinded;
Portland, Oregon: the Tillamook State Forest would be destroyed in the firestorm, along with much of the Mt Hood and Gifford Ponchot National Forests;
Seattle: damage as far out as Olympia and Oak Harbor;
Denver, Colorado: damage as far out as Loveland, Greeley and possibly Colorado Springs;
Omaha, Nebraska: damage as far out as Lincoln;
Chicago: damage as far out as Crystal Lake and Kenosha.

Pretty bloody scary.

EDIT: if you drop a "Tsar Bomba" weapon on Buffalo, NY State, the damage could reach across the Canadian border as far as Toronto.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Feb 18, 2012 12:21 am

Tzar bomb 100MT dropped on my house...

NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein - Mozilla Firefox_2012-02-17_16-18-41.png
NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein - Mozilla Firefox_2012-02-17_16-18-41.png (298.48 KiB) Viewed 36262 times
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 18, 2012 12:25 am

Drop that same 100 megaton weapon on my house, and the damage would reach the outskirts of Birmingham. That's close to 90 miles away.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby BrandySpears » Feb 18, 2012 12:34 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Tzar bomb 100MT dropped on my house...

NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein - Mozilla Firefox_2012-02-17_16-18-41.png

That would also take out the Dolly Parton reactors!
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Weaver » Feb 18, 2012 12:45 am

Good tool, though it doesn't show some things I wish it would (5psi overpressure limit instead of 4.6psi, some other details).

Discussion here shows what I've learned from other discussions where people first learn the size and scope of nuclear weapons. First, people tend to be surprised at how localized the effects are, especially at sub-megaton bombs. Second, they tend to be somewhat ignorant of how devastating those local effects really are. Third, they tend to see for the first time that radiation effects really are a minimal part of nuclear weapons - they simply aren't a major casualty-causing agent (most of those significantly injured by radiation exposure will suffer physical and burn damage far outweighing their rad illness).

Finally, as usual, everyone tends to migrate toward the massive multi-megaton weapons for their surveys. These weapons are so wasteful that they're not even maintained in inventory any more - a big reason why the Soviets never went above the 57MT of the Tsar Bomba test shot was that the full-scale critter wouldn't have produced THAT much more effects - the fireball on such a bomb is the thickness of the atmosphere, so much of the energy is wasted to space. 10-20kt weapons are so much more efficient use of fissionables, so much more portable and deliverable, and so much cheaper in terms of design technology and materials - you can drop a whole fuckload of them for the total cost of one multi-megaton superbomb.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby DougC » Feb 18, 2012 1:22 am

COOL! :naughty2: :thumbup:
Been blowin stuff up for the past half hour. Whats a little MAD between friends.
Here is a link to "Nuclear weapon yield" on w-pedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapon_yield
This is a "List of missiles" on w-pedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_missiles
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Tortured_Genius » Feb 18, 2012 1:35 am

Weaver wrote:Finally, as usual, everyone tends to migrate toward the massive multi-megaton weapons for their surveys. These weapons are so wasteful that they're not even maintained in inventory any more - a big reason why the Soviets never went above the 57MT of the Tsar Bomba test shot was that the full-scale critter wouldn't have produced THAT much more effects - the fireball on such a bomb is the thickness of the atmosphere, so much of the energy is wasted to space. 10-20kt weapons are so much more efficient use of fissionables, so much more portable and deliverable, and so much cheaper in terms of design technology and materials - you can drop a whole fuckload of them for the total cost of one multi-megaton superbomb.

The thing that people forget is that the warhead stockpiles for the USA and Russia are still around ten thousand total. In the mid-80's it peaked at around 16,000 warheads each! Superpower conflict was (is) bloody scary because we were looking at saturation bombing with the "small" weapons, and from memory only a dozen or so sub megaton bombs would be enough to do for the UK (and we were looking at a couple of dozen 5-10 MT strikes just to take out the "hardened" targets like ports and Fylingdales).

Like Weaver said - during the cold war we were looking at not just a few multi-megaton blasts but thousands of "smaller" bombs that would be a much more devestating than the maps would suggest.

The good news though is that conflict involving such numbers of weapons is pretty much inconceivable today. The bad news is that "limited" nuclear exchanges are possible and would still be utterly horrible (a nuke on Islamabad or Dehli would easily cause casualties in the millions).

Final piece of good news. Check out the weapon documentation on wikileaks sometime. The stuff on there (mostly pertaining to the Fat Man bomb) makes it very, very clear that making nukes is the sole preserve of nation states with highly developed engineering facilities. No knocking up devices in garages for Al Quaeda (polluting dirty bombs being a different beast entirely).
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Seabass » Feb 18, 2012 1:45 am

Neato. Tsar Bomba makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

On a related note, Trinity and Beyond is available on Hulu. Fun for the whole family!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/225009/trinity-and-beyond
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#20  Postby Tortured_Genius » Feb 18, 2012 1:52 am

And another thing..................

What's he got against Pudsey?
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs