Old olympic venues.

More reason for a permenent site.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Old olympic venues.

#1  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 22, 2017 11:51 am

I came across this series of photos which show what a waste of money there is in building every four years olympic venues.
Would it not be better to have permanent venues run by the Olympic committee? Save all the corruption as well.

The rest:

Rio's Olympic venues, six months on – in pictures

This is what Athens looks like:

Abandoned Athens Olympic 2004 venues, 10 years on – in pictures

What a waste.

Photos Of Abandoned Olympic Venues Reveal Why The Games Are A Tragic Waste Of Money
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Old olympic venues.

#2  Postby Macdoc » Aug 22, 2017 11:59 am

That's more a reflection of poor management of resources by the hosting city. Many cities like Barcelona
Search Results
Barcelona “totally transformed” by hosting 1992 Olympic Games ...
https://www.olympic.org/.../barcelona-t ... olympic-...
Hosting the 1992 Olympic Games “totally transformed” Barcelona, according to ... Trias revealed how the Games created a long-term sporting legacy for the city.

and Calgary to name two benefitted and continue to benefit from hosting the Olympics.

That's said ....I can see an argument for permanent sites as well but the arguments over who gets them would be epic....and how many ?? ... one for each Winter/Summer?
Some, like Calgary have made money on the Olympics, others like Montreal mired in debt for decades but again that is corruption at play in Quebec.

Tech moves forward as well....
Less corruption at the Olympic level and better management guidance for the awarded city is a first step.
Last edited by Macdoc on Aug 22, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » Aug 22, 2017 12:00 pm

There are things money cannot buy. Personally, I do not care for such megalomaniac projects but to each their own.
tuco
Suspended User

Print view this post

#4  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 22, 2017 12:17 pm

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 22, 2017 3:49 pm

Didn't we already have this thread?
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby tuco » Aug 22, 2017 4:06 pm

It was Rio thread only :)
tuco
Suspended User

Print view this post

#7  Postby UncertainSloth » Aug 22, 2017 4:09 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Didn't we already have this thread?

very similar - it started as rio but there were links and discussions about other sites...i love looking through photos of old abandoned sites like that...
we reach for starlight all night long
but gravity's too strong
chained to this earth we go on and on and on and on and on...

bruce springsteen
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Me too, though in this case it includes being amazed that the sites aren't, say, 50-100 years old.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 22, 2017 5:57 pm

I was always under the belief the games were for the benefit for the country. It is obvious it was for the benefit of the project developers and many government officials which is a another good reason to have a permanent site.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby UncertainSloth » Aug 22, 2017 6:01 pm

aye - it;s so sad to see...and how so many countries fail in their forward planning with them...as you say, london seems to be a rare success story...

i suppose greece would be a suitable permanent summer site...no idea about the winter one...i can certainly see the sense in it, though...or do it like eurovision and all the countries vote for each other based upon their performance in the games....;)
we reach for starlight all night long
but gravity's too strong
chained to this earth we go on and on and on and on and on...

bruce springsteen
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby tuco » Aug 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I was always under the belief the games were for the benefit for the country. It is obvious it was for the benefit of the project developers and many government officials which is a another good reason to have a permanent site.

Let me repeat, you are looking at it only from financial aspect yet there are other aspects money cannot buy. For example real, perceived or expected prestige. Though I agree that its not quite rational to build venues which cannot realistically have use beyond the games. Good reason to have a permanent site .. let me use my psychic abilities to predict it will not happen in our lifetime.
tuco
Suspended User

Print view this post

#12  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 23, 2017 6:52 am

Yep it is still the golden goose for government officials and project developers. The 2014 Moscow olympics were not the most expensive for nothing as by the time every tom, dick and harry got his cut the Russian taxpayer had a massive bill to pay.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby tuco » Aug 23, 2017 6:55 am

It is. Still, its up to such taxpayers whether or not they want to pay for it and it seems they generally want to pay for it as its prestigious to host the games. Its reoccurring issue, here and elsewhere, that people complain about government like if they lived in totalitarian regime. You know fuck all about evil government doing things against will of the people.
tuco
Suspended User

Print view this post

#14  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Aug 23, 2017 9:22 pm

i'm quite glad my hometown voted against the games
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

when you chop off your neighbours head and use it as a vase, you can call it 'culture'.
it's called civilisation is when this gets you jailed for the rest of your live.
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#15  Postby TheMidnightBarber » Aug 24, 2017 2:31 pm

Macdoc wrote:Barcelona “totally transformed” by hosting 1992 Olympic Games ...
https://www.olympic.org/.../barcelona-t ... olympic-...
Hosting the 1992 Olympic Games “totally transformed” Barcelona, according to ... Trias revealed how the Games created a long-term sporting legacy for the city.

Two things:

1. That link doesn't work
2. The link is to the Olympics website. Olympics say Olympics are good shocker!

Scot Dutchy wrote:I came across this series of photos which show what a waste of money there is in building every four years olympic venues.
Would it not be better to have permanent venues run by the Olympic committee? Save all the corruption as well.

It's unbelievable. Every time the potential hosts produce a paper predicting £X billion in additional benefits to tourism, local business etc, but it always fails to get anywhere near these optimistic predictions.

However, I kind of agree with Macdoc in that it's gonna be extremely difficult to agree on a permanent location (how about Qatar?). Perhaps they could pick places that need minimal investment stadia etc.
Sassanach
"Doesn't even speak Gaelic"
TheMidnightBarber

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Macdoc » Aug 24, 2017 3:04 pm

This is 25 years later

"Barcelona is the inspiration for any city holding an Olympic Games after what happened in 1992.”

In April, the Catalan Secretary General of Sport Gerard Figueras participated in the opening session of the IOC Solidarity Commission meeting and explained that, 25 years on, Barcelona still bears witness to the great legacy of the Games.

"Not only were the Barcelona Olympic Games a great example of sustainability thanks to infrastructures that are still fully functional today, but they also had a big impact on the place of sport in Catalonia," said Figueras.

“Today, 50 per cent of Catalans practise physical activity as a habit. We have 18,000 clubs and 72 federations, 450,000 students practise sport at school and the sports industry represents two per cent of the Catalan GDP."

Speaking at an event held to launch the Barcelona 1992 25th anniversary programme back in February, Ada Colau, the city’s Mayor, had said the Olympic Games Barcelona 1992 had left an indelible legacy of which the city could be proud. “Barcelona opened up to the world and, above all, to its citizens, becoming a collective project that looked both inwards and outwards," she said.

For his part, Alejandro Blanco Bravo, the President of the Spanish Olympic Committee (COE), described Barcelona 1992 as an unforgettable occasion for world sport.

"Twenty-five years on, the whole world is speaking with pride and passion about what happened," he said.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/ ... tion-games

And speaking personally it is very clear when visiting Barcelona the positive impact of the games continues....it's all in the design, management and lack of corruption.

Here are 20 cities - winners and losers....it's all in the management.
http://thechive.com/2016/08/18/which-ho ... 20-photos/
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 24, 2017 3:12 pm

It is a shame that more olympics did not have the same effect on the city it was being held in.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Macdoc » Aug 24, 2017 3:18 pm

Well if you read the article ...they did have positive effects both financial and infrastructure depending on how they were managed.

Hopefully with the corruption at the top of the committee rooted out we will see more positive outcomes.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby tuco » Aug 24, 2017 3:24 pm

I've read the article and I fail to see any specific design and management moves.
tuco
Suspended User

Print view this post

#20  Postby Macdoc » Aug 24, 2017 3:38 pm

can't help your lack of comprehension .... Barcelona managed and continues to manage it's venue to it's benefit ....Montreal was a corrupt fuck up that only got paid off a few years ago by the tax payer.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs