Piper will NOT like this ...

Maryland Cop Shoots ... A GROUNDHOG???

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Piper will NOT like this ...

#1  Postby Calilasseia » May 13, 2018 7:19 pm

Yes, you read that correctly ...

A Maryland deputy was recorded on video shooting and killing a groundhog after it charged towards him

At first, it appeared as if the Maryland sheriff's deputy was trying to do a good deed by stopping traffic to allow a groundhog to cross the road without getting killed.

But that was before the deputy shot and killed the rodent.

A Carroll County sheriff's spokesman said the deputy had to shoot the animal because it was charging towards him, making him fear for his life.

But a witness video shows the deputy could have easily sidestepped the groundhog.

Head, meet desk.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Piper will NOT like this ...

#2  Postby Animavore » May 13, 2018 7:22 pm

He must've mistook it for a black man.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Alan C » May 13, 2018 7:30 pm

Clearly he had to assume the groundhog was armed.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#4  Postby newolder » May 13, 2018 7:37 pm

"Well Sir, it had arms."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby laklak » May 13, 2018 7:42 pm

Strange woodchuck behavior, acting aggressive like that. Probably thought it was rabid.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby The_Piper » May 13, 2018 7:44 pm

I saw part of the clip on Trever Noah's show I think it was. This is certainly evidence in favor of some trigger-happy cops being cowards. I don't say words like that towards other people lightly. Feared for his life from an 8 pound animal that stands about 10 inches high at the shoulder? He's CLEARLY not suited for that job then. He's a fucking police man. He's bound to face more threatening situations than a confused woodchuck in traffic. Bizarre. To use John Oliver's favorite phrase... holy shit! Call a fucking wildlife rehabilatator/game warden/veterinarian for advice before engaging and shooting an animal to death. No respect for life.
One possibility is that the woodchuck had pups waiting at home and wanted to get by the cop to get back to them. Members of the squirrel family, in my experience, will do daring things when it comes to the safety of their pups. For instance, a mother woodchuck named Sweetheart who was normally afraid of and avoidant of me once whistled just behind me because one of her pups had gotten loose and it was near me. Stubby the red squirrel once hesitantly came right up to my feet to retrieve a peanut-sized baby that was loose and unseen at my feet.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby The_Piper » May 13, 2018 7:50 pm

laklak wrote:Strange woodchuck behavior, acting aggressive like that. Probably thought it was rabid.

It didn't appear to be acting aggressively, except that it wanted to get across the road. Ironically, it had made it across the road before the asshole shot it.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby willhud9 » May 14, 2018 1:42 am

The_Piper wrote:
laklak wrote:Strange woodchuck behavior, acting aggressive like that. Probably thought it was rabid.

It didn't appear to be acting aggressively, except that it wanted to get across the road. Ironically, it had made it across the road before the asshole shot it.

It was still abnormal behavior for a woodchuck. Most laws around here when it comes to mammal species are any abnormal behavior leads to the termination of the animal so it can be tested for rabies.

Most woodchucks flee immediately. This one was not. As far as I am aware the officer was acting within the parameter of the law and was not trigger happy.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby The_Piper » May 14, 2018 1:55 am

That's not really abnormal behavior for a woodchuck. Have you ever seen a squirrel cross the road? :lol: Just because he was acting within the parameters of the law, that doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. Nor the thoughtful thing. What about the part where he said he feared for his life? :doh: I think the law allows for some reflection before shooting something, especially with bystanders there. The woodchuck wasn't charging him. What the hell was he doing at the beginning of the video. It looked like he was coaxing it like a dog or cat. The cars are just as alive as the cop, to a woodchuck's point of view, and the cop is a lot smaller and less scary-looking.
A Carroll County sheriff's spokesman said the deputy had to shoot the animal because it was charging towards him, making him fear for his life.

For future reference, if you want to get a small animal off the road, raise your arms over your head, and go "Rah!!" while stomping towards it.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Fenrir » May 14, 2018 2:55 am

Hereabouts, a cop that discharged a firearm anywheres near a road, especially one with people and traffic present, for any reason, would be asked some very serious questions with career related consequences.

I doubt that "but that animal looked at me funny" would count as an acceptible answer.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Mike_L » May 14, 2018 6:53 am

Is it firearms only for American cops? Don't they carry truncheons / batons? One of those would surely have been enough to deal with the situation... not to beat the animal to death, but to keep it at arm's-length-plus and to "sweep" it to the side of the road.

:nono:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Animavore » May 14, 2018 7:09 am

He should've tazed the fucker.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13  Postby aban57 » May 14, 2018 7:46 am

And where do you think a groundhog can get a taser ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Fenrir » May 14, 2018 7:51 am

Groundhogs with frickin lasers!
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Willie71 » May 14, 2018 9:49 pm

willhud9 wrote:
The_Piper wrote:

It was still abnormal behavior for a woodchuck. Most laws around here when it comes to mammal species are any abnormal behavior leads to the termination of the animal so it can be tested for rabies.

Most woodchucks flee immediately. This one was not. As far as I am aware the officer was acting within the parameter of the law and was not trigger happy.

Ummmm...... NO! Growing up in rural areas with lots of rodents including groundhogs, fear causes EXACTLY this type of behaviour. Is this a byproduct of a certain countries’ fear driven hysteria and the need to be armed from these “threats” that most of us don’t blink an eye at?
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby z8000783 » May 16, 2018 6:53 am

Hasn't this story already been posted?

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Lapsed Lurker » May 16, 2018 9:49 am

z8000783 wrote:Hasn't this story already been posted?

Yep, but that's groundhog day for you.
Lapsed Lurker

Name: Jon
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs