Police officers sacked for saying teenager 'should be raped'

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Police officers sacked for saying teenager 'should be raped'

#1  Postby Teague » Nov 10, 2017 10:25 am

Police officers sacked for saying at-risk teenager 'should be raped'

Two police officers have been dismissed from the Avon and Somerset force after they said they hoped that a vulnerable teenager “got raped”.

PCs Samuel Dexter, 36, and Hannah Mayo, 32, made the comments in a conversation that they did not realise was being recorded on the 14-year-old’s mother’s answering machine.

Both admitted to gross misconduct in relation to the incident, which took place in September. After a misconduct hearing at the force headquarters, in Portishead, near Bristol, on Tuesday, Andy Marsh, the chief constable, sacked them without notice, saying that the public would be “outraged” by their comments.

The officers had driven over to the family’s house after receiving a phone call from the 14-year-old’s mother. It was Dexter’s second time at the house that evening after the boy’s mother had earlier reported him missing.

On that occasion, Dexter had driven round looking for the boy, who had ADHD and was a cannabis user, and eventually returned him home safely.

When he was called back to the house later, accompanied by Mayo, Dexter tried to phone the boy’s mother on the way over but obtained no answer. He then vented his frustration to his fellow officer.

“I have no interest whatsoever,” he said. “He [the boy] seemed to be relishing in the fact that I had been driving around aimlessly looking for him.
“I felt like saying to him, ‘Whatever, you little s**t, I don’t give a f**k. I hope you get raped.’”

Mayo responded: “Yes, and b**t raped.”

The officers were heard laughing on the two-minute recording, which ended as they pulled up outside the boy’s house. Unbeknown to the officers, the conversation had been recorded on the mother’s answering machine.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/po ... &ocid=iehp

Sacked for gross misconduct - this is what happens to our officers when they step out of line.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Police officers sacked for saying teenager 'should be raped'

#2  Postby proudfootz » Nov 10, 2017 11:13 am

Best to sack officers when they reveal these anti-social attitudes before they get too many opportunities to commit too many anti-social acts.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Teague » Nov 10, 2017 11:19 am

proudfootz wrote:Best to sack officers when they reveal these anti-social attitudes before they get too many opportunities to commit too many anti-social acts.

Well it sends a message doesn't it. In the US the message there is you can murder civilians and get away with it.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby proudfootz » Nov 10, 2017 11:25 am

Freedom isn't free!

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby CarlPierce » Nov 10, 2017 2:56 pm

I actually feel sorry for the officers of course saying something outrageous isn't right but I'm pretty sure they didn't actually mean it. I think a warning would be more just. I wonder what the kid said to them.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby NineBerry » Nov 10, 2017 3:09 pm

Sacked for gross incompetence in handling a telephone.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Oldskeptic » Nov 11, 2017 2:39 am

Teague wrote:

Two police officers have been dismissed from the Avon and Somerset force after they said they hoped that a vulnerable teenager “got raped”.

PCs Samuel Dexter, 36, and Hannah Mayo, 32, made the comments in a conversation that they did not realise was being recorded on the 14-year-old’s mother’s answering machine.

Both admitted to gross misconduct in relation to the incident, which took place in September. After a misconduct hearing at the force headquarters, in Portishead, near Bristol, on Tuesday, Andy Marsh, the chief constable, sacked them without notice, saying that the public would be “outraged” by their comments.

The officers had driven over to the family’s house after receiving a phone call from the 14-year-old’s mother. It was Dexter’s second time at the house that evening after the boy’s mother had earlier reported him missing.

On that occasion, Dexter had driven round looking for the boy, who had ADHD and was a cannabis user, and eventually returned him home safely.

When he was called back to the house later, accompanied by Mayo, Dexter tried to phone the boy’s mother on the way over but obtained no answer. He then vented his frustration to his fellow officer.

“I have no interest whatsoever,” he said. “He [the boy] seemed to be relishing in the fact that I had been driving around aimlessly looking for him.
“I felt like saying to him, ‘Whatever, you little s**t, I don’t give a f**k. I hope you get raped.’”

The officers were heard laughing on the two-minute recording, which ended as they pulled up outside the boy’s house. Unbeknown to the officers, the conversation had been recorded on the mother’s answering machine.

Sacked for gross misconduct - this is what happens to our officers when they step out of line.

That is truly a conformation of British exceptionalism. I mean, really, the British fire police officers every time one of them says something offensive and in the US we never fire any officers for anything.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby Willie71 » Nov 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
Teague wrote:

That is truly a conformation of British exceptionalism. I mean, really, the British fire police officers every time one of them says something offensive and in the US we never fire any officers for anything.

Please tell us what the term American exceptionalism is, and where it comes from before slurring other nations with bizarre attacks. I’m pretty sure you don’t know where this comes from and think it’s made up by far leftists or something.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Teague » Nov 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Willie71 wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
Teague wrote:

Please tell us what the term American exceptionalism is, and where it comes from before slurring other nations with bizarre attacks. I’m pretty sure you don’t know where this comes from and think it’s made up by far leftists or something.

Oh so no answer then! LMAO
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby proudfootz » Nov 14, 2017 12:42 am

FFS - who would rush in to defend cops who 'hope' citizens will be raped?
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Nov 14, 2017 7:57 pm

proudfootz wrote:FFS - who would rush in to defend cops who 'hope' citizens will be raped?

Roy Moore?
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#12  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Nov 14, 2017 8:46 pm

CarlPierce wrote:I actually feel sorry for the officers of course saying something outrageous isn't right but I'm pretty sure they didn't actually mean it. I think a warning would be more just. I wonder what the kid said to them.

Professionalism is so important especially in positions of authority over citizenry. In exchange for the power we give them over us we trust them to be professional and fair and have our best interests at heart. When they break that trust they need to go, if for any reason, to protect the integrity of the rest of the police force and to maintain that trust. Police officers should be the best of society.

When that trust breaks down, it becomes a war of us vs them which serves no one.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby The Serpent » Nov 17, 2017 1:46 am

I have long been of the view that wanting to become a copper should immediately rule someone out of consideration for the job.
Religious traditions are the fault lines along which societies fracture when placed under stress. -- Sam Harris
The Serpent

Name: Taj Cassidy
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby proudfootz » Nov 17, 2017 11:34 am

The Serpent wrote:I have long been of the view that wanting to become a copper should immediately rule someone out of consideration for the job.

:lol:

Much like politicians! :thumbup:
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs