Police won’t release info on attempted ‘lynching’ of 8-year-

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Police won’t release info on attempted ‘lynching’ of 8-year-

#1  Postby Teague » Sep 12, 2017 2:47 pm

‘These people need to be protected’: Police won’t release info on attempted ‘lynching’ of 8-year-old biracial boy

A group of white teens attacked an 8-year-old biracial boy and hanged him by a noose, his family says, and police in Claremont, NH are refusing to release information in the case.

The Root’s Angela Helm reported on Sunday that an 8-year-old biracial boy was hanged by a rope around his neck by other juveniles in what his grandmother said was a racist attack.

As the child was being flown by a medevac to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, his mother Cassandra Merlin posted to Facebook, “So my son is being flown to Dartmouth after a 14 year old kid decided to hang him from a tree. I don’t care if this was a so called accident or not. My son almost died because of some little sh*t teenage kids.”

NH1.com said that Claremont Police Chief Mark Chase refused to comment on the case, but said the department is investigating the incident, which took place on Aug. 28. He said that because the perpetrators are juveniles, he is prevented from discussing the case publicly.

He said that unlike the adult judicial system, which is aimed at punishment, the juvenile justice system is designed to correct and rehabilitate aberrant behavior.
Report Advertisement

“These people need to be protected,” Chase said. “Mistakes they make as a young child should not have to follow them for the rest of their life.”

“Notice how he called these predators ‘young children,'” wrote Helm, “infantilizing the white teens. Conversely, teens like Trayvon Martin are made out to be hulking, menacing adults. Chief Chase seems to be centering the perpetrators feelings and futures, all but forgetting about the trauma of a little boy who had his so-called friends hang him from a tree to the point where he had to be medevaced to a hospital.”

According to the victim’s grandmother Lorrie Slattery, he was playing with a group of children and teens when they began to taunt him with racist epithets and throw sticks and rocks at him.

Someone stood on a picnic table and the group wrapped a rope from a nearby tire swing around the boy’s throat, then kicked him off the table.
Report Advertisement

The victim swung back and forth three times before he was able to free himself. None of the teens came to his aid.

NH1.com said Chief Chase refused to state whether the crime was racially motivated.

Slattery told Valley News it’s clear to her that the attack was racist because her grandson has been targeted for racist abuse from the same group of children and teens in the past.

Her grandson is recovering now and preparing for his first day of school on Tuesday.

Helm wrote, “Welcome to Donald Trump’s America. Say what you want, but when the U.S. president defends avowed white supremacists, one can’t be surprised when bullying takes on a decidedly racist tone as it did with an 8-year-old biracial boy who was hung from a tree in the year 2017. The climate has been set.”

Since Donald Trump’s election, hate crimes have spiked dramatically in the U.S., particularly in the area of hate-related murders.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/new-ham ... acial-boy/
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Police won’t release info on attempted ‘lynching’ of 8-year-

#2  Postby purplerat » Sep 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Is there actually a concern here that juvenile offenders should be outed? Certainly this is a very troubling case but when did protecting the identities of minors become a controversial issue?
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Willie71 » Sep 12, 2017 3:25 pm

It's the framing of the incident, not the "outing" that is troublesome. Isn't attempted murder an automatic bump to adult court?
well, the 'mericuns chose alien, rather than predator. The rest of the world has to burn now.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby purplerat » Sep 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Willie71 wrote:It's the framing of the incident, not the "outing" that is troublesome. Isn't attempted murder an automatic bump to adult court?

First off, I don't believe any specific charges have been filed. The police say they are investigating and there isn't much more information. Secondly, I'm not sure what the laws are in this particular jurisdiction as to "automatically bumping to adult court".

But the question I have is should it be? I don't think so. I hope that whatever comes of this all of the kids involved get serious help.

The sense I'm getting is that some people will want them punished severely because they are white and the feeling is that they should be mistreated in the same way black children would be. That's fucked up, IMO.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Teague » Sep 12, 2017 3:58 pm

So why is it ok for black kids to get treated like adults all the time?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby purplerat » Sep 12, 2017 4:05 pm

Teague wrote:So why is it ok for black kids to get treated like adults all the time?

It's not.

When is it ever the answer to racial inequality to make things equally unjust for everybody?
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Willie71 » Sep 12, 2017 5:18 pm

purplerat wrote:
Willie71 wrote:It's the framing of the incident, not the "outing" that is troublesome. Isn't attempted murder an automatic bump to adult court?

First off, I don't believe any specific charges have been filed. The police say they are investigating and there isn't much more information. Secondly, I'm not sure what the laws are in this particular jurisdiction as to "automatically bumping to adult court".

But the question I have is should it be? I don't think so. I hope that whatever comes of this all of the kids involved get serious help.

The sense I'm getting is that some people will want them punished severely because they are white and the feeling is that they should be mistreated in the same way black children would be. That's fucked up, IMO.

Lynching is fucked up (if the initial reports are confirmed.)

The racial component is pulling strongly at me. I need to keep myself in check. This is tough.
well, the 'mericuns chose alien, rather than predator. The rest of the world has to burn now.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby purplerat » Sep 12, 2017 5:31 pm

Willie71 wrote:
purplerat wrote:

The racial component is pulling strongly at me. I need to keep myself in check. This is tough.

It is fucked up. But is it possible that 14-year-olds might not fully grasp exactly why it's so fucked up?
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby aban57 » Sep 12, 2017 6:12 pm

purplerat wrote:
Willie71 wrote:
purplerat wrote:

It is fucked up. But is it possible that 14-year-olds might not fully grasp exactly why it's so fucked up?

It's very hard to believe that a 14 y/o kid doesn't know that hanging someone doesn't cause death. If it had been to other way around, the 8 y/o hanging the 14, the question could be asked. But there, I don't think it does.
The fact that he was most likely inspired by his father's discourse (and that's a totally baseless assertion, I know) doesn't change the fact that you don't hang someone unless you want him dead. Even if you're 14.
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#10  Postby purplerat » Sep 12, 2017 6:29 pm

aban57 wrote:
purplerat wrote:
Willie71 wrote:
purplerat wrote:

It's very hard to believe that a 14 y/o kid doesn't know that hanging someone doesn't cause death. If it had been to other way around, the 8 y/o hanging the 14, the question could be asked. But there, I don't think it does.
The fact that he was most likely inspired by his father's discourse (and that's a totally baseless assertion, I know) doesn't change the fact that you don't hang someone unless you want him dead. Even if you're 14.

In the US at least there is more to the connotation lynching than simply hanging somebody to death. That is what I'm questioning whether a 14-year-old would fully grasp.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby theropod » Sep 12, 2017 7:22 pm

Oh hell yes the 14 year old grasps it. The whole usa grasps it. Nobody seems to care that 14 year olds graps it, or that the whole usa graps it, and that's the problem.

RS
17 years off-grid and counting.

Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby purplerat » Sep 12, 2017 9:18 pm

theropod wrote:Oh hell yes the 14 year old grasps it. The whole usa grasps it. Nobody seems to care that 14 year olds graps it, or that the whole usa graps it, and that's the problem.

RS

What makes you so sure? What exposure does a middle schooler in New Hampshire in 2017 have to lynchings? It's not a subject - not just lynchings but the history of racism in the US as a whole - that schools dive too deeply into in early on or at all. So maybe a kid learns something about it on the internet or TV but that is hardly going to give them a full grasp of what it means.

Of course fucking hanging somebody - a much younger child no less - is something so fucked up that a child that age should know better and be held accountable for, but I don't see a reason to assume it's something necessarily so much more insidious.

Basically what it comes down to is that I don't see this as necessarily being so much different than any other time minors commit serious offenses such that it calls for different treatment. I'll wait for more information before worrying that there are roving middle school Klans out there targeting minorities.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 12, 2017 10:32 pm

purplerat wrote:
aban57 wrote:
purplerat wrote:
Willie71 wrote:

In the US at least there is more to the connotation lynching than simply hanging somebody to death. That is what I'm questioning whether a 14-year-old would fully grasp.

I would think that the fact that they chose that method suggests that they know exactly the connotations. I don't know much about the US education system, but I find it hard to believe that someone could get to 14 years old without being taught about this aspect of history.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Willie71 » Sep 13, 2017 12:30 am

They were using racial slurs, threw rocks and sticks, suggesting this is racially motivated. Hanging a black personal in public is about as innocent as threatening to gas a Jew. I'm having a hard time seeing how this wasn't understood in its historical context. I might be wrong, and would be willing to change my mind if compelling evidence suggests it needs to be changed.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Sep 13, 2017 12:59 am

I don't think we should be making exceptions on protecting minors simply because we find a crime particularly distasteful. In this particular case, since there is a group involved, there is the strong potential for peer pressure being a factor where some of the children involved might not have otherwise acted or may never again act in such a way.

This needs to be treated very seriously but not with malice or revenge. These kids need help.
'The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man
knows himself to be a fool.'
- As You Like It - William Shakespeare
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Sep 13, 2017 1:08 am

Also releasing the names of minors, who are still innocent until proven guilty by the way. no matter what the crime is a fucking horrible idea. There is no reason for doing so other than to satisfy the mob.
'The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man
knows himself to be a fool.'
- As You Like It - William Shakespeare
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Teague » Sep 13, 2017 10:38 am

purplerat wrote:
Teague wrote:So why is it ok for black kids to get treated like adults all the time?

It's not.

When is it ever the answer to racial inequality to make things equally unjust for everybody?

What's wrong with everyone feeling the full extent of the police state? Scared that people might rebel against it and make a change? Too scared to stand up with your kinsmen and stand with them?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby purplerat » Sep 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Willie71 wrote:They were using racial slurs, threw rocks and sticks, suggesting this is racially motivated. Hanging a black personal in public is about as innocent as threatening to gas a Jew. I'm having a hard time seeing how this wasn't understood in its historical context. I might be wrong, and would be willing to change my mind if compelling evidence suggests it needs to be changed.

So you don't think minors can make adult-like decisions without fully understanding what they are doing? I doubt you really think that way but that seems to be the position you are taking here.

Yes, race definitely seems to be part of the issue here. It would be hard to doubt that. But do I think these kids are hard core racist who went out looking for a black kid to lynch like some mob in the Jim Crow South? I'm highly skeptical of that. What I think is more likely is that these kids are more along the lines of typical bullies who got ahold of some really stupid ideas and went way too far. I could be wrong and maybe it turns out this is some sort of junior high KKK movement but I'll withhold judgment until more is known.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 13, 2017 3:01 pm

Teague wrote:
purplerat wrote:

It's not.

What's wrong with everyone feeling the full extent of the police state? Scared that people might rebel against it and make a change? Too scared to stand up with your kinsmen and stand with them?

Wow, your moral compass spins like a fan some days.

Minors have protection from being identified during police investigations both sides of the pond. When the investigation is complete and charges are laid (if that happens) then these minors may well be charged as adults and the anonymity bit might be dropped. That other minors have been identified previously doesn't affect this case at its current state. There's many a case in the UK where minors (killers included) are not identified to the public even after convictions have been secured in adult courts.

Seems there's no winning with you as far as USA cops go. They act outside the law, they're murdering bastards. The act within the law, they're at best cowards and corrupt in some way. None of them can do their jobs right, even when they are doing it right.

What should they do here? Ignore the law and do as the mob demands?
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Indeed, it's in the interests of us all that justice is served, not revenge. I'm reminded here of the essential matter of a fair trial for the defendants, which is of interest to those of us who don't want to see innocent people being wrongfully convicted, with the unpleasant issues that arise therefrom. Once a safe and secure conviction has been obtained, however, that's the moment when identities are legitimately made public.

Of course, there's an additional fly in the ointment to factor in here, namely the manner in which racism has become, tragically, an endemic taint affecting law enforcement issues in the USA, to a degree which has long since transcended the merely pathological. Sorting that big, hard problem out isn't going to happen overnight.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs