President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#10361  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 19, 2018 10:59 am

Again, how is this disgrace still president?

Last edited by Thomas Eshuis on Jan 19, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10362  Postby Teague » Jan 19, 2018 11:03 am

Skinny Puppy wrote:
The_Piper wrote:5 seconds into the video, shut it off because it's that bird brain again. Trump, yes, but the bird brain who makes trolling YT videos full of lies and distortions. And basic birdbrainerry.
But on the actual topic, how virtuous and adult of our president to issue fake news awards. What a fine example to set for our young people. Dog shit.

Speaking of our young people... they're being fed a steady diet of lies, half-truths, out-and-out distortions etc. by the fake news media which try to pass it off as legitimate news. Many, many news outlets are now nothing more than Libtard propaganda machines who will scrap the bottom of the barrel in order to further their agenda.

You mentioned dog shit... that reminded me of CNN.

How the hell do you think things like CNN are libtard?? They're establishment and supress anything progressive as much as they can which is why you heard nothing major about healthcare, schools, tax breaks for billionaires and all the real stuff that is important.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10363  Postby Animavore » Jan 19, 2018 11:26 am

Skinny Puppy wrote:

The Highly-Anticipated 2017 Fake News Awards

2017 was a year of unrelenting bias, unfair news coverage, and even downright fake news. Studies have shown that over 90% of the media’s coverage of President Trump is negative.

https://www.gop.com/the-highly-anticipated-2017-fake-news-awards/

This is like a creationist group handing out awatds for bad science on evolutionary errors that were discovered by scientists themselves. Or an anti-vax group calling out cases of medical negligence, were professionals have already been internally reprimanded, to support their view.

:lol:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10364  Postby Animavore » Jan 19, 2018 1:18 pm

I don't get why a large section of Trump supporters never have a single bad thing to say about him. I support The Green Party in Ireland, but mostly on paper because they just don't have any teeth in reality and keep trying to palliate the corporations instead of fighting them. This makes me quite critical of them. And as much as I liked Obama, he didn't get enough done (not entirely his fault given the outright hostility of the opposition) and has a bad record on drone strikes.

Not so Trump supporters. I've witnessed a couple of rather intelligent people on forums reduce themselves to bad arguments, Trump arguments, in defence of their idol. All of a sudden "whataboutism", name-calling, and crying "fake news" (a form of ad hom) are acceptable arguments. I've even seen friends on Facebook support the DAPA protesters and post environmentalist memes before the election, to suddenly drop it when Trump comes in and has the protesters removed, and later turned to denialism and applaud Trump getting the Keystone pipeline moving.

The only word I can think of which describes this slavish, uncritical devotion to an ideal is "fanaticism". I don't see how they are different to the sports fan who blames the Ref, the pitch, the facilities... anything but the team or management. Or the religious apologist who would rather bend over backwards, squaring the circle, than acknowledge a contradiction.

Then there's the extreme intolerance towards criticism. Everyone else is lying and conspiring. A bunch of haters who are jealous. "Slay those who say Islam is not the religion of peace."

How can Trump possibly be that pure that there's not a single bad thing you can say about him? Nothing about him bothers them; not a single thing? I don't even raise my own mother on such a glorious pedestal. I'd sooner listen to a Trump supporter who can weigh up pros and cons, than an aggressive, petulant supporter on the atrack, claiming victimhood, like a mini-Trump who thinks an attack on Trump is an attack on them personally, as if Trump would reciprocate this level of support for them like a good friend might (hint: he doesn't give a shit about you).

There isn't a single person I have this level of single-minded admiration for. Soundgarden have bad songs. The God Delusion is pretty weak and Dawkins should stick to evolution. Sagan had some batty views on UFOs in private. The Dark Knight needs some trimming. Nietzsche was simply wrong about the impact of society moving from religion. Orwell didn't consider that the watchers would also become the watched. Wagner was a bit of an anti-semite. G.R.R. Martin rambles off point. My best friends all have some or other points of contention. But somehow an obnoxious New Yorker born into wealth but with a common man's sense of taste and massive blindspots on a range of issues he claims to have expertise in is just perfect!?!
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10365  Postby Willie71 » Jan 19, 2018 4:09 pm

Animavore wrote:I don't get why a large section of Trump supporters never have a single bad thing to say about him. I support The Green Party in Ireland, but mostly on paper because they just don't have any teeth in reality and keep trying to palliate the corporations instead of fighting them. This makes me quite critical of them. And as much as I liked Obama, he didn't get enough done (not entirely his fault given the outright hostility of the opposition) and has a bad record on drone strikes.

Not so Trump supporters. I've witnessed a couple of rather intelligent people on forums reduce themselves to bad arguments, Trump arguments, in defence of their idol. All of a sudden "whataboutism", name-calling, and crying "fake news" (a form of ad hom) are acceptable arguments. I've even seen friends on Facebook support the DAPA protesters and post environmentalist memes before the election, to suddenly drop it when Trump comes in and has the protesters removed, and later turned to denialism and applaud Trump getting the Keystone pipeline moving.

The only word I can think of which describes this slavish, uncritical devotion to an ideal is "fanaticism". I don't see how they are different to the sports fan who blames the Ref, the pitch, the facilities... anything but the team or management. Or the religious apologist who would rather bend over backwards, squaring the circle, than acknowledge a contradiction.

Then there's the extreme intolerance towards criticism. Everyone else is lying and conspiring. A bunch of haters who are jealous. "Slay those who say Islam is not the religion of peace."

How can Trump possibly be that pure that there's not a single bad thing you can say about him? Nothing about him bothers them; not a single thing? I don't even raise my own mother on such a glorious pedestal. I'd sooner listen to a Trump supporter who can weigh up pros and cons, than an aggressive, petulant supporter on the atrack, claiming victimhood, like a mini-Trump who thinks an attack on Trump is an attack on them personally, as if Trump would reciprocate this level of support for them like a good friend might (hint: he doesn't give a shit about you).

There isn't a single person I have this level of single-minded admiration for. Soundgarden have bad songs. The God Delusion is pretty weak and Dawkins should stick to evolution. Sagan had some batty views on UFOs in private. The Dark Knight needs some trimming. Nietzsche was simply wrong about the impact of society moving from religion. Orwell didn't consider that the watchers would also become the watched. Wagner was a bit of an anti-semite. G.R.R. Martin rambles off point. My best friends all have some or other points of contention. But somehow an obnoxious New Yorker born into wealth but with a common man's sense of taste and massive blindspots on a range of issues he claims to have expertise in is just perfect!?!

Authoritarianism. Can’t question the leader.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10366  Postby Teague » Jan 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10367  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 19, 2018 6:10 pm

I just always get a kick out of watching SP go to bat for a used car salesman :lol:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10368  Postby The_Piper » Jan 19, 2018 7:52 pm

:lol:
A used car salesman with no poker face, and a 3rd grade vocabulary.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10369  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 19, 2018 10:19 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Again, how is this disgrace still president?

Actually, with that first video clip, you've alighted upon something that needs to be subject to detailed investigation. Courtesy of the part where a Republican senator tried to claim Trump wasn't a racist because he's a narcissist. The exact opposite is true - Trump is a racist because he's a narcissist, and a special brand of narcissist to boot.

It's pretty much a reliably repeatable observation, that racist attitudes are strongly correlated with [1] stupidity, [2] dishonesty, or [3] both. In short, there's a spectrum, ranging from dumb-fuck to duplicitous. The 'honest' racists are thick as shit, and the ones with more functioning neurons are mendacious, sometimes to a criminal extent. The pathology has been on display for some time, so many here will be tempted to declare that I'm not bringing an original insight to the table here.

However, even at the dumb-fuck end of the spectrum, if you spend time listening to their outpourings, they will all claim to have reasons for holding racist attitudes. Even the ones who are unconvincing in this regard, will claim to have access to some sort of deductive process leading to their holding those attitudes. And indeed, the necessity for a deductive basis, no matter how absurd or dishonest, has been a feature of racism for much of its history. Rare indeed are the individuals who simply state explicitly "I'm a bigot, end of story" - the vast majority will, given the opportunity, be very vocal about the purported 'rational' basis for their attitudes, complete with a litany of rote-learned ideological apologetics. This need to point to some real or imagined objective basis for racist views, has been a feature of adherence to racism for a very long time, almost as if adherents subconsciously know they're involving themselves with something stupid, and need to find a solution to this that doesn't involve admitting the stupidity of their creed, and subsequent abandonment thereof.

It is, of course, easiest to spot the aetiology at work, when racism is a subset of another doctrine, in which case, the usual pathology of doctrinal adherence isn't difficult to spot. However, for some, racism isn't a subset of any doctrine, rather, it's the whole doctrine they adhere to. Other doctrines might be pressed into service after the fact, according to their apologetic convenience for the purpose, but those doctrines are themselves made subservient to the racism doctrine, and viewed with sympathy only as long as they are useful to the racist kernel, so to speak. The more dialectically talented (and, as a corollary, duplicitous) adherents become more polished, and pay more attention to basic matters of consistency than the cud-chewing end of the spectrum when adopting such practice, but you'll find that even the clinically significant knuckle-draggers exert some effort toward trying to present their racism as an 'intellectual' decision.

Pretence at intellectual respectability has been a hallmark of racism for pretty much its entire history, not least because its use as a tool of political control has made pursuit of even the veneer of intellectual respectability an operational necessity, whenever that usage has been pursued assiduously. In short, if you're going to incite the populace to hate a diversionary target, you need to give that populace something resembling a convincing reason, otherwise the exercise will fail.

So, in the light of the above, it should now be apparent, why I say that Trump's racism is actually worse than usual. This is because Trump doesn't possess the cognitive machinery to engage in any of the above. For him, racism is simply and solely a visceral reaction, to which he hasn't applied even the basic level of pseudo-thought I describe above, a visceral reaction that arises from the fact that he simply doesn't consider the targets of his racist attitudes, to be capable of fulfilling the one task that he regards as the overriding priority for everyone else on the planet - namely, masturbating his ego. If he doesn't even consider you worthy of being offered the chance to try and masturbate his ego to his liking, then he regards you as unfit to exist, full stop.

Now while an irrational visceral repulsion probably underlies the stupid end of the racism spectrum, what makes Trump unique is that he detaches himself even from that end, by not bothering with any of the usual apologetics. Though he would probably regard that statement of difference from the norm as constituting some sort of accolade, as opposed to the diagnosis of clinical febrility it actually constitutes. Such is the level of narcissism we're dealing with here. Trump's brand of racism doesn't even rise to reptilian levels of cognitive sophistication - rather than being an über-racist, it's best to think of him as an unter-racist, a sort of lurking Bobbitt Worm of hate, whose outbursts arise because he doesn't possess the basic vertebrate neurobiology required, even to attempt to camouflage his nature. Not least because he regards that nature, in all its obscene, ostentatious excess, as exquisiteness incarnate. In the television in his head, he glows resplendently with the majesty of one of those gorgeous Technicolor coral reef angelfishes, whilst the reality is far closer to one of those sea cucumbers that looks like a self-propelled dog turd.

That senator accidentally hit upon something, but not in the way he thought. What he hit upon, far from being an apologia for Trump's racism, was an exposition of the real reason it's so horrible to confront. Because what we have, in Trump, is the narcissism variant of The Creature Of The Black Lagoon - something atavistically primaeval, a reminder of the Palaeocene heritage we all have to struggle diligently against, but which Trump, instead, embraces to a chilling extent.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10370  Postby Seabass » Jan 19, 2018 10:44 pm

The_Piper wrote: :lol:
A used car salesman with no poker face, and a 3rd grade vocabulary.

Fake news! He has a 4th grade vocabulary. Checkmate, libtards!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#10371  Postby Arcanyn » Jan 20, 2018 7:37 am

Animavore wrote:I don't get why a large section of Trump supporters never have a single bad thing to say about him. I support The Green Party in Ireland, but mostly on paper because they just don't have any teeth in reality and keep trying to palliate the corporations instead of fighting them. This makes me quite critical of them. And as much as I liked Obama, he didn't get enough done (not entirely his fault given the outright hostility of the opposition) and has a bad record on drone strikes.

Probably because a lot of them share personality traits with him. They need Trump to succeed at being President because if that happens it makes their own behaviours socially acceptable. They need to see someone behave like them and not only get away with it, but be rewarded for it. As a consequence of this, any attack on Trump is seen as an attack on them personally.
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10372  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jan 20, 2018 8:54 am

DACA has 86% approval. If it had been included in the CR bill, it would have passed with flying colors. It would have been considered a bipartisan victory. DACA was not included because Trump backed away from supporting it and the GOP fell in line.

This is Trump's shutdown.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10373  Postby Animavore » Jan 20, 2018 11:22 am

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10374  Postby Tero » Jan 20, 2018 1:34 pm

US politics used to be ultimately about abortion. Now it’s all about foreigners, and of course Trump himself. But this foreigners are evil will last past Trump.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/ ... ets-351448
How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#10375  Postby Seabass » Jan 20, 2018 8:53 pm

Donald Trump’s Radical Honesty

A year into Donald Trump’s presidency, we’ve thoroughly established what a liar he is.

We’ve talked less about how much truth he unwittingly tells.

I don’t mean the specific text of his discrete claims, which brim with inaccuracies and bubble with full-blown hallucinations. The man dwells in a loopy land of his own invention.

I’m referring to the timing and tone of his statements and tweets: when he pipes up; how he lashes out; what he deems worthy of his bragging, scheming and ire. He’s no paragon of deceit, which requires more plotting, patience and discipline than he could ever muster. He’s a geyser of revelations, and in terms of the transparency with which he shows us the most eccentric and ugliest parts of himself, he’s the most honest president in my lifetime.

It’s inadvertent but indisputable. He doesn’t hide his pettiness, bury his petulance or successfully distract us from his vulgarity and bigotry. He’s too needy an exhibitionist to wear a mask, too sloppy a manager to prevent leaks, and his universe is too chaotic for its mess not to spill ceaselessly into public view.

Secrets? Those are for administrations with less drama, lower ratings and fewer reporters on speed dial. We knew the madness of Trump’s court more quickly and reliably than we did the mischief of others, because his bickering enablers can’t keep anything to themselves. Michael Wolff’s “Fire and Fury” is both a chronicle of that and proof of it.

It has new tidbits about Ivanka, Jared, Melania. It has nothing surprising about Trump. We already knew how much junk he ate. We already knew how misinformed and hypersensitive he was. We already knew that aides had questions about his smarts and qualms about his stability. All of this was out there not just from the beginning of his presidency but from the start of his campaign, and some of it was out there long before that.

In fact the hell of his election wasn’t that he tricked American voters. It was that they’d fully seen the florid whole of him and supported him nonetheless.

continued...
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#10376  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jan 20, 2018 9:16 pm

Seabass wrote:Donald Trump’s Radical Honesty

In fact the hell of his election wasn’t that he tricked American voters. It was that they’d fully seen the florid whole of him and supported him nonetheless.
continued...

and that is why making the next election about him will get him re-elected.
just like Bush Jr.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#10377  Postby Nicko » Jan 21, 2018 12:50 am

Calilasseia wrote:The 'honest' racists are thick as shit, and the ones with more functioning neurons are mendacious, sometimes to a criminal extent. The pathology has been on display for some time, so many here will be tempted to declare that I'm not bringing an original insight to the table here.

I don't think that Trump is stupid per se, more that he's profoundly superficial and highly anti-intellectual. Trump's racism is the lazy bigotry of a septuagenarian white American who's just never bothered to engage in even the basic level of introspection that would be necessary to overcome his prejudices.

The rise of Trump was only possible due to the Republican Party's (largely cynical) embrace of anti-intellectualism. As Max Boot (hardly anyone's idea of a "libtard") points out in this article:

Max Boot wrote:The Republican embrace of anti-intellectualism was, to a large extent, a put-on. At least until now.

In recent years, however, the Republicans’ relationship to the realm of ideas has become more and more attenuated as talk-radio hosts and television personalities have taken over the role of defining the conservative movement that once belonged to thinkers like Irving Kristol, Norman Podhoretz and George F. Will. The Tea Party represented a populist revolt against what its activists saw as out-of-touch Republican elites in Washington.

There are still some thoughtful Republican leaders ... But the primary vibe from the G.O.P. has become one of indiscriminate, unthinking, all-consuming anger.

The trend has now culminated in the nomination of Donald J. Trump, a presidential candidate who truly is the know-nothing his Republican predecessors only pretended to be.

Mr. Trump even appears proud of his lack of learning. He told The Washington Post that he reached decisions “with very little knowledge,” but on the strength of his “common sense” and his “business ability.” Reading long documents is a waste of time because of his rapid ability to get to the gist of an issue, he said: “I’m a very efficient guy.” What little Mr. Trump does know seems to come from television: Asked where he got military advice, he replied, “I watch the shows.”
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10378  Postby Nicko » Jan 21, 2018 12:57 am

Agi Hammerthief wrote:and that is why making the next election about him will get him re-elected.
just like Bush Jr.

Absolutely. There can be no return to business as usual where the next campaign is a melange of soundbites and platitudes.

The way to beat Trump is to raise the level of discourse to the point where he can't compete. Dumb stuff down or take the conversation into the gutter and Trump wins.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10379  Postby Seabass » Jan 21, 2018 3:03 am

Oh snap!

(Senator Duckworth was an army helicopter pilot who lost both legs in the Iraq war.)

“I spent my entire adult life looking out for the well-being, the training, the equipping of the troops for whom I was responsible,” she continued. “Sadly, this is something that the current occupant of the Oval Office does not seem to care to do — and I will not be lectured about what our military needs by a five-deferment draft dodger.
“And I have a message for cadet bone spurs: If you cared about our military, you'd stop baiting Kim Jong Un into a war that could put 85,000 American troops, and millions of innocent civilians, in danger."

Seabass

Print view this post

#10380  Postby Animavore » Jan 21, 2018 7:26 am

(Snopes confirmed)

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post