President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#121  Postby lofuji » Nov 12, 2016 7:57 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
lofuji wrote:The American electorate has just performed a collective blowjob on a .44 Magnum. I don't know whether to be horrified or whether to simply sit back and watch the show. Schadenfreude is a wonderful thing.

You really think this won't affect the rest of the world?

Of course I know it will. But I'm 70 and don't have that many years left, so I'm trying to put a brave face on what I know is an unmitigated disaster for the world.
Blog: The View from Fanling (mostly bollocks, but some posts may be of interest).
...the emperor's cavalry on parade
lofuji

Name: Dennis Hodgson

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#122  Postby lofuji » Nov 12, 2016 8:04 pm

...and this is the guy who thinks that the Egyptian pyramids were grain silos. Corporal Jones was right: we're doomed!
Blog: The View from Fanling (mostly bollocks, but some posts may be of interest).
...the emperor's cavalry on parade
lofuji

Name: Dennis Hodgson

Print view this post

#123  Postby tuco » Nov 12, 2016 8:33 pm

What have I done to prevent this? I've done nothing. Seriously.
tuco

Print view this post

#124  Postby chango369 » Nov 12, 2016 8:36 pm

:)

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#125  Postby Warren Dew » Nov 12, 2016 8:38 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:
The last Democratic president before Obama was Bill Clinton. He agreed to welfare reform and a budget sufficiently low to permit surpluses. I don't see how you can argue Obama was more conciliatory than that.

I don't see how you can blame Obama for the absence of compromise in the government during his administration. He made a lot of compromises while issuing relatively few executive orders:

The number of executive orders is irrelevant, as most deal with the minutia of implementing the law. It's the ones that implement something in place of a law that are problematic, and that's what Obama did a lot of.

This has no substance or examples. That makes it opinion, and easy to dismiss.

My experience is that the left here find factual citations equally easy to dismiss.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#126  Postby dander » Nov 13, 2016 2:13 am

tuco wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Will Donald Trump destroy America?

With Democrats defeated and Republicans scared to step out of line, Donald Trump’s control over the three branches of the US government means this horror show hasn’t yet begun

Always quick to get to the point, social media came up with an instant distillation of the global response to the improbable, unsettling election of Donald Trump as president of the United States: #RIPAmerica.

That hashtag declared that we had witnessed something more than a simple change of government. (Such a slogan would not have circulated had Mitt Romney beaten Barack Obama in 2012.) Instead, it implied that Trump had not merely taken over the running of the United States for four years, but that his presidency represented a much darker threat – that it would, in fact, destroy the country.

Of course, Twitter is prone to the hyperbolic and hysterical. But more sober commentators were raising a similar prospect, albeit in not quite such stark terms. David Remnick, the editor of the New Yorker, spoke for many when he wrote: “The election of Donald Trump to the presidency is nothing less than a tragedy for the American republic, a tragedy for the constitution, and a … sickening event in the history of the United States and liberal democracy … It is impossible to react to this moment with anything less than revulsion and profound anxiety.” For the millions who shared that sentiment, dawn on Wednesday felt like mourning in America.

What they fear is that Trump will make good on all the promises – and threats – he made during these last 18 months. What if he goes ahead and deports 11.3 million undocumented migrants? What if he really does ban all Muslims entering the country? What if he tries to use the powers of the state to go after media organisations that have criticised him – making life difficult for the businesses that own inquisitive newspapers such as the Washington Post, for example – as he has said he will? What if he overturns abortion rights, even imposing “some form of punishment” on a woman who terminates a pregnancy, as he once suggested? And what if he really does build that wall?

More...

Is it just me but this is my picture of the future. The guy is mentally ill.

Out of curiosity, again, how would he do that? I am ignorant of the US system so feel free to enlighten me. He writes a memo or orders army or what?

And again, I find fascinating what the US Americans, and others, take from this. The morals of the story is anything else but .. maybe we should not give one person so much power. You give one person power then when shit hits the fan you are hmm surprised? Fascinating.

Historically, presidents don't have all that much power. But the Bush and Obama campaigns have worked tirelessly at enhancing executive power. Still, it's mostly foreign policy that the president has power over.

The one, absolutely terrifying, historical exception to that is use of nuclear weapons. A president can pretty much unilaterally decide to launch a nuclear strike, within minutes, any time he or she wants to. The only thing that stands between him or her and that reality is mutiny and a laughably useless check by the Secretary of Defense. Laughable because the president can simply fire the SoD and replace him with another.

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/3/12367996/do ... lear-codes
dander

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#127  Postby tuco » Nov 13, 2016 2:43 am

Thanks for the attention. I think I do understand the commander in chief? powers/responsibilities. Use of nuclear weapons is, however, out of the question. I am not familiar with executive powers. Making life difficult for the Washington Post? That is against everything the USA, in my eyes, stands for. Is this possible?
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#128  Postby Tortured_Genius » Nov 13, 2016 3:12 am

My understanding (although I'm no expert)is that the President can authorise the use of nuclear weapons (or indeed fun things like "daiseycutters") but the actual launch is carried out by the military staff. The military folks in charge of such weapons are pretty much rock solid mentally and very aware of the consequences of their use making their use somewhat more problematic than the article suggests (think of the opening scene in "Wargames" rather than "Dr. Strangelove").

Consequently this particular nightmare isn't causing me to lose sleep.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#129  Postby willhud9 » Nov 13, 2016 4:41 am

I will ask this:

What is the cause of fear?

Racial tensions? Already have those.
Militarization of the police? Already had that.
Overabundance of police shootings? Already covered.
Discrimination against different faith groups? Been around for awhile now.
Disrespect for women? Rape culture wasn't born the 8th of November.
World War III? Plenty of level headed world leaders elsewhere in the world.

I mean a Trump Presidency is probably going to suck, but its not going to cause me to lose sleep over fear. Its just another wave of awful politics which can have adverse affect on my life.

See what I am more afraid of is:

SNAP benefits reduced for my mother.
Her benefits from the VA reduced because she is a widow of a veteran and not a veteran herself.
Her SSI reduced.

Those kind of fears directly play into my future and can become a reality with a GOP controlled government.

The stuff above have been happening for a long time now. If you're now just becoming afraid of those things than you have been living under a rock.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#130  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 13, 2016 4:50 am

Which of those things do you imagine are going to improve in the next four years?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#131  Postby willhud9 » Nov 13, 2016 5:43 am

The_Metatron wrote:Which of those things do you imagine are going to improve in the next four years?

Which of those things did anyone think was going to improve even if Clinton was nominated. We have had a black president in office the past 8 years. We have had school shootings and mass shootings. We have had Islamic Extremism.

What's improved under the Democrats?

Now you see why Trump voters voted the way they did.

As of to those who are posting things about how scared they are all of a sudden they offer no justification for those fears aside from sensationalism. Everything seems to point towards a Trump presidency being surrounded by GOP insiders....much like another Bush presidency. It is not going to be good, but it's not going to be blood and tears awful.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#132  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 13, 2016 6:03 am

And now we have those things in the name of the president.

I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#133  Postby Oldskeptic » Nov 13, 2016 6:46 am

dander wrote:The one, absolutely terrifying, historical exception to that is use of nuclear weapons. A president can pretty much unilaterally decide to launch a nuclear strike, within minutes, any time he or she wants to. The only thing that stands between him or her and that reality is mutiny and a laughably useless check by the Secretary of Defense. Laughable because the president can simply fire the SoD and replace him with another.

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/3/12367996/do ... lear-codes

For a president to order a retaliatory strike due to impending missiles from another country he would have been notified by the military. It takes the Joint Chiefs of Staff to relay the order for the actual launch. I can't see the Joint Chiefs ordering a nuclear weapon launch just because Trump called out of the blue and said to do it. Government officials such as the Joint Chiefs don't have the option of not complying with what they determine to be an unlawful order from the president, they are required not to comply.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#134  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 13, 2016 9:47 am

willhud9 wrote:I will ask this:

What is the cause of fear?

Racial tensions? Already have those.
Militarization of the police? Already had that.
Overabundance of police shootings? Already covered.
Discrimination against different faith groups? Been around for awhile now.
Disrespect for women? Rape culture wasn't born the 8th of November.
World War III? Plenty of level headed world leaders elsewhere in the world.

I mean a Trump Presidency is probably going to suck, but its not going to cause me to lose sleep over fear. Its just another wave of awful politics which can have adverse affect on my life.

See what I am more afraid of is:

SNAP benefits reduced for my mother.
Her benefits from the VA reduced because she is a widow of a veteran and not a veteran herself.
Her SSI reduced.

Those kind of fears directly play into my future and can become a reality with a GOP controlled government.

The stuff above have been happening for a long time now. If you're now just becoming afraid of those things than you have been living under a rock.

How about LGBT right protections Will?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#135  Postby willhud9 » Nov 13, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm not particularly afraid of losing my right to marry ATM.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#136  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 13, 2016 2:24 pm

willhud9 wrote:I'm not particularly afraid of losing my right to marry ATM.

I hope the same is true for hiring discrimination.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#137  Postby willhud9 » Nov 13, 2016 2:27 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
willhud9 wrote:I'm not particularly afraid of losing my right to marry ATM.

I hope the same is true for hiring discrimination.

That is more a concern at the state and local level. And it's clear from court precedent that someone not hiring someone based on sexual orientation would clearly count as discrimination.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#138  Postby Tero » Nov 13, 2016 3:28 pm

trump-replaces-epa-with-bill-henderson
http://karireport.blogspot.com/2016/11/ ... erson.html
humor http://karireport.blogspot.com/
serious http://esapolitics.blogspot.com/

How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#139  Postby Beatsong » Nov 13, 2016 4:23 pm

willhud9 wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:Which of those things do you imagine are going to improve in the next four years?

Which of those things did anyone think was going to improve even if Clinton was nominated. We have had a black president in office the past 8 years. We have had school shootings and mass shootings. We have had Islamic Extremism.

What's improved under the Democrats?

Now you see why Trump voters voted the way they did.

Yes, they fell for the common political fallacy of thinking that if things aren't as good as you want them to be, or improving in the way you want them to be, they "couldn't possibly be worse!", so you might as well just chuck out whatever you've got indiscriminately and see what happens.

A lot of people seem to struggle with the idea that there are different degrees of bad, and to massively underestimate how much more bad is actually possible below what they currently have. We're spoiled in 21st century democracies, really, when you take a more global and historical view.

Oh well, won't be long now before they find out...
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#140  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Not long at all. It's already happening.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs