President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#141  Postby willhud9 » Nov 13, 2016 4:40 pm

Beatsong wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:Which of those things do you imagine are going to improve in the next four years?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which of those things did anyone think was going to improve even if Clinton was nominated. We have had a black president in office the past 8 years. We have had school shootings and mass shootings. We have had Islamic Extremism.

What's improved under the Democrats?

Now you see why Trump voters voted the way they did.

Yes, they fell for the common political fallacy of thinking that if things aren't as good as you want them to be, or improving in the way you want them to be, they "couldn't possibly be worse!", so you might as well just chuck out whatever you've got indiscriminately and see what happens.

A lot of people seem to struggle with the idea that there are different degrees of bad, and to massively underestimate how much more bad is actually possible below what they currently have. We're spoiled in 21st century democracies, really, when you take a more global and historical view.

Oh well, won't be long now before they find out...

And right now there is no real evidence that things are going to get worse than they were, say, under George W. Bush.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#142  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 13, 2016 4:48 pm

willhud9 wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Beatsong wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:Which of those things do you imagine are going to improve in the next four years?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which of those things did anyone think was going to improve even if Clinton was nominated. We have had a black president in office the past 8 years. We have had school shootings and mass shootings. We have had Islamic Extremism.

What's improved under the Democrats?

Now you see why Trump voters voted the way they did.

Yes, they fell for the common political fallacy of thinking that if things aren't as good as you want them to be, or improving in the way you want them to be, they "couldn't possibly be worse!", so you might as well just chuck out whatever you've got indiscriminately and see what happens.

A lot of people seem to struggle with the idea that there are different degrees of bad, and to massively underestimate how much more bad is actually possible below what they currently have. We're spoiled in 21st century democracies, really, when you take a more global and historical view.

Oh well, won't be long now before they find out...

And right now there is no real evidence that things are going to get worse than they were, say, under George W. Bush.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016 ... /93681294/

No evidence at all.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#143  Postby willhud9 » Nov 13, 2016 4:58 pm

And there are violent protests happening in Seattle, a bastion of supposed progressive liberalism. Peaceful activists? Not really.

Your finger pointing does no good. How many Trump supporters have dealt with vandelism on their cars for displaying a Trump/Pence bumber sticker? How many trump supporters have had things thrown at them during these protests? Quite a few. I was at one this week in Richmond, and some of the alleged liberals and those with Bernie Sanders signs were the nastier, more hate filled individuals.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#144  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 13, 2016 5:19 pm

Finger pointing, my ass. This is the SPLC recording these events. This is what is happening. Now. In Trump's name.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#145  Postby Pebble » Nov 13, 2016 5:33 pm

Makes you wonder if Farage will resume where he left off with UKIP and have go at doing a 'Trump' over here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37965089
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#146  Postby Rumraket » Nov 13, 2016 5:39 pm

I predict Trump will start a war with Iran, because he's a clueless shit-for-brains and the people he surrounds himself with are the most nightmarish combination of yes-men-suckups, military-industry profiteers, and ultra nationalist neocon lunatics who live in perpetual fear of "the caliphate" (an example that satisfies both categories is John Bolton, who Clump is considering for secretary of state). They will lead him by his fat stupid nose right into war like Cheney et al did with Bush.

I'd love to be wrong about this, I just don't believe I am. It will happen. It's going to get worse than ever. This will be the G W Bush 3rd term-expansion played on nightmare difficulty, but where the chimp-in-chief has been replaced with a spoiled, tiny dick-narcissist without the slightest hint of any ethical stance or moral code.
Last edited by Rumraket on Nov 13, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#147  Postby Beatsong » Nov 13, 2016 6:11 pm

willhud9 wrote:And right now there is no real evidence that things are going to get worse than they were, say, under George W. Bush.

You seem to missed eight years or so. George W. Bush has not been president for a while, and was not the alternative being offered.

You don't think repealing the ACA will make things worse for a whole bunch of poor people?

You don't think denying climate change, and pulling out of the international efforts to combat it, will make things worse for EVERYBODY (including us over here, thanks very much)?

Okay then...
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#148  Postby Acetone » Nov 13, 2016 6:22 pm

Beatsong wrote:
willhud9 wrote:And right now there is no real evidence that things are going to get worse than they were, say, under George W. Bush.

You seem to missed eight years or so. George W. Bush has not been president for a while, and was not the alternative being offered.

You don't think repealing the ACA will make things worse for a whole bunch of poor people?

You don't think denying climate change, and pulling out of the international efforts to combat it, will make things worse for EVERYBODY (including us over here, thanks very much)?

Okay then...

Not to mention a whole bucket load of nasty opinions have been empowered.

On both sides really.

You have people openly being racist on the daily now.

You have people being violent against other people on account of who they supported politically.

Shits insane and people are scared already and he isn't even president yet. Scared for their jobs, their wellbeing, their children's futures. 4 years a fucked up education system will wreck havoc... What's he been doing to stop this? The campaign is over, this egging on divisiveness needs to stop and he needs to take a firm position against it.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#149  Postby Willie71 » Nov 13, 2016 6:59 pm

I can't wrap my head around how fucking stupid this whole thing is. Shitty policy such as cross check likely handed the presidency to trump, but the democrats did basically nothing to fight it. They rolled over. They propped up the only candidate capable of losing to trump, and their base bought it hook line and sinker. They were warned repeatedly, but those doing the warning were dismissed. We've got no reason to go over the stupidity of those supporting trump. They are scared little children needing a strong man to make them feel secure. Then there's the half of the country that didn't vote at all, not even a protest vote for a third party candidate. What the "American idiots" did will affect the rest of the world for generations. Ben Carson for education? Wtf? Sarah Palin for anything? Wtf? I'm fucking pissed off. Really pissed off.

Is trump going to let pence get his Christian theocracy? Is pence a dominionist? I need to look into that.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#150  Postby willhud9 » Nov 13, 2016 7:05 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Finger pointing, my ass. This is the SPLC recording these events. This is what is happening. Now. In Trump's name.

Right the SPLC records all hate crimes. Liberals assaulting Conservatives for political differences would count as hate crimes under SPLC guidelines. Now how many of these events were aimed towards Trump supporters, and how many of these events can actually be linked to the results of the election.

Beware correlative speculation.
Beatsong wrote:

No, but I remember Bush's presidency. It wasn't all that bad.

What are the chances of it actually being repealed in the next 2 years?

Okay then...

If the rest of the world needs the United States to combat climate change then the rest of the world was fucked from the get go. :dunno:
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#151  Postby Shrunk » Nov 13, 2016 7:09 pm

Beatsong wrote:You don't think repealing the ACA will make things worse for a whole bunch of poor people?

I don't believe he will do that. He's already basically said that he won't.

That, I'm more worried about.

However, I'm with willhud9 in taking a wait-and-see approach. Trump is not a political ideologue and he was flip flopping on positions all thru the campaign. The worry is that he will threfore be easily led by the nose by the ideologues in the GOP. My hope is that, because he has no long-standing political allegiances, he'll be able to make his own decisions independently.
Last edited by Shrunk on Nov 13, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#152  Postby Alan B » Nov 13, 2016 7:17 pm

And if his 'flip-flopping' was a deliberate acting ploy to managing the gullible and ignorant as a means to get into power? If so, that would indicate a hidden agenda of which we could only guess at.

That worries me.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#153  Postby Shrunk » Nov 13, 2016 7:21 pm

Alan B wrote:And if his 'flip-flopping' was a deliberate acting ploy to managing the gullible and ignorant as a means to get into power? If so, that would indicate a hidden agenda of which we could only guess at.

Could be. But I'm betting on it being a sign of his being a political neophythe who had not thought of most of these issues until forced to take a position on them during the campaign. Or maybe not "betting" so much as "hoping."
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#154  Postby willhud9 » Nov 13, 2016 7:24 pm

Trump is a celebrity mogul. He knows how to keep the lime light on him. Controversy sells. Always has.

Last year when the Paris Shootings happened Trump said he'd require Muslims to register. Despite the fact that the President does not have that kind of authorization, and despite the fact that that is incredibly unconstitutional, his core primary base sucked it up. In the meantime, the press covered him extensively. Trump's name was everywhere that week.

Will Trump actually require Muslims to register with the government? I highly doubt it.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#155  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Nov 13, 2016 7:28 pm

The fact that our President is someone who would say that sort of thing is problematic in itself. It's disastrous for race and religious tensions at home, and it's equally harmful to relations abroad. This is the man we've chosen to represent the United States to the world. Even if all of his actions were the best possible actions, he would be doing irremediable harm with his whiny duck-mouth.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#156  Postby willhud9 » Nov 13, 2016 7:33 pm

Words alone do not concern me nor do they cause me reason to fear, especially when those words come from someone who has been shown to say things just to get attention and nothing more.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#157  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Nov 13, 2016 7:35 pm

willhud9 wrote:Words alone do not concern me nor do they cause me reason to fear, especially when those words come from someone who has been shown to say things just to get attention and nothing more.

I understand that the bar for Presidential behavior has been lowered considerably. I, for one, will continue to work to live once more in a country that isn't governed by a complete cunt. If you're happy with the way things are, then enjoy them while they last. I'm going to do my best to improve them in spite of you.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#158  Postby willhud9 » Nov 13, 2016 7:44 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:
willhud9 wrote:Words alone do not concern me nor do they cause me reason to fear, especially when those words come from someone who has been shown to say things just to get attention and nothing more.

I understand that the bar for Presidential behavior has been lowered considerably. I, for one, will continue to work to live once more in a country that isn't governed by a complete cunt. If you're happy with the way things are, then enjoy them while they last. I'm going to do my best to improve them in spite of you.

Who said anything about me being happy.

I am merely saying the alarmist rhetoric people are casually flinging around is tiring and bullshit.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#159  Postby Shrunk » Nov 13, 2016 8:02 pm

willhud9 wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:

Who said anything about me being happy.

I am merely saying the alarmist rhetoric people are casually flinging around is tiring and bullshit.

That's my feeling as well. The existence of the GOP, as well as the fact that it will win power roughly 50% of the time, is just a reality. So half the time the US has been governed by this shit party. Civil war and nuclear conflagration have yet to ensue. Is this lucky streak more likely to end under Trump than under, say, Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz or someone like that? I honestly don't know. And none of them were likely to put Al Gore in charge of the EPA.
Last edited by Shrunk on Nov 13, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#160  Postby Beatsong » Nov 13, 2016 8:04 pm

willhud9 wrote:

Okay then...

If the rest of the world needs the United States to combat climate change then the rest of the world was fucked from the get go. :dunno:

' the fuck? :scratch:

The rest of the world needs EVERY COUNTRY to combat climate change and yes, having the world's fucking largest economy absent from that is going to make just a tad of difference. There's no political boundaries in the ozone layer, in case you hadn't noticed.

Seriously Will . . . engage brain.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs