President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#15341  Postby Hermit » Jan 02, 2019 11:33 pm

Animavore wrote:Everyone should read it. It's the best article on Trump I've read all year.

Says he on the 2nd of January. Image
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#15342  Postby aban57 » Jan 02, 2019 11:35 pm

Hermit wrote:
Animavore wrote:Everyone should read it. It's the best article on Trump I've read all year.

Says he on the 2nd of January. Image

I guess that makes him even more believable :lol:
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#15343  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 03, 2019 1:58 am

Hermit wrote:
OlivierK wrote:Yes, even the quoted parts of the article recognise that that was a myth, but it was a myth only within the US - from the outside it was simply a lie we knew the US told about itself.

My recollection is that the bulk of west Europeans had a huge amount of respect and admiration for the US, especially while Kennedy was at the helm. The escalation of the Vietnam war, the Pentagon Papers, Watergate and tricky Dicky changed all that in doubletime. To me it seemed like the scales fell off everybody's eyes simultaneously. All of a sudden the US was seen to be no less unprincipled, greedy, grubby, Machiavellian than any other power. Of course some people knew that all along, but the masses preserved their delusions until the mid to late 60s.

My parent's generation had/have massive feelings of gratitude towards the US simply because of it's part in the defeat of Hitler. My mum met and chatted to some of the GI's bound for D-day as a child and it has coloured her view of the US ever since. The influence of that should not be underestimated nor the fading of that regard through the natural passage of generational change.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15344  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 03, 2019 2:05 am

Animavore wrote:Image

Ouch!

So I finally finished listening to the whole video of CK's routine, and while this probably isn't the place for discussing it I'm not sure where it would go, and I doubt there'll be much said about it.

I think the above tweet is pretty unfair, 99% of the time it just sounds like his usual style of standup. He thinks divorce is great, he's self-deprecating, and he thinks kids are stupid. That was the context of the Parkland survivors bit, he's done bits like that before, he wasn't trying to make a case for guns, and it's clear to me he's being intentionally ridiculous for effect, which is consistent for him. The only thing that seemed out of place to me was the gender identity part. Sure, he has plenty of bits about the perception of over-sensitivity. But having watched Horace And Pete, where his character ends up sleeping with a transgender character, it's the only part of his act that seemed jarringly different.

Anyway, that's all I've got to say about that.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15345  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 03, 2019 7:48 am

After the war it was the Canadians here that were very popular as liberators and many wives moved to Canada with their Canadian husbands.
Americans were tolerated because of the Marshall plan but since the 60's have never been popular.
I personally find ex-pats fall into two distinct groups; those that want to integrate and those who cant. The ones that cant want to create a national bubble and go to great lengths to do it. This is the same for all ex-pats. There is apparently a valley on the south island of New Zealand which is more Dutch than any part of this country. My late girl friend was there as her brother went to live there and married a local girl who spoke 19th century Dutch. It has the whole works. Even a Dutch language high school.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15346  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 03, 2019 9:17 pm

Here's a fun tangential diversion for everyone to enjoy ...

Apparently, the individual who was hired by Trump as a tax lawyer, has now been indicted on federal extortion charges.

Before everyone gets too excited about this, the charges do NOT relate to work done for Trump, or any of Trump's known business entities, though one notes at this juncture, that part of the work performed by this individual, centres on trying to obtain tax refunds for Trump property companies, a notion that some here will already be regarding with much amusement, given Trump's own public comments on gaming the tax system for personal gain.

For once, one of Trump's lawyers isn't in trouble over his Trump-related dealings. Ed Burke, the lawyer in question, is instead facing charges over advice being given to a fast food company in Chicago (quelle surprise over that geographical revelation). Basically, Burke held an Alderman position in the Chicago city authority, and tried to use that in a corrupt manner, as leverage to coerce the fast food company into retaining Burke's law firm.

Once again, we see that Trump appears to be unable to pick associates that are not, in some way, fulminatingly incompetent, heinously criminal, or both.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15347  Postby scott1328 » Jan 03, 2019 9:31 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Here's a fun tangential diversion for everyone to enjoy ...

Apparently, the individual who was hired by Trump as a tax lawyer, has now been indicted on federal extortion charges.

Before everyone gets too excited about this, the charges do NOT relate to work done for Trump, or any of Trump's known business entities, though one notes at this juncture, that part of the work performed by this individual, centres on trying to obtain tax refunds for Trump property companies, a notion that some here will already be regarding with much amusement, given Trump's own public comments on gaming the tax system for personal gain.

For once, one of Trump's lawyers isn't in trouble over his Trump-related dealings. Ed Burke, the lawyer in question, is instead facing charges over advice being given to a fast food company in Chicago (quelle surprise over that geographical revelation). Basically, Burke held an Alderman position in the Chicago city authority, and tried to use that in a corrupt manner, as leverage to coerce the fast food company into retaining Burke's law firm.

Once again, we see that Trump appears to be unable to pick associates that are not, in some way, fulminatingly incompetent, heinously criminal, or both.

He is perforce obliged to select the criminal and/or incompetent. No ethical, competent person will stay in or be retained in Trump's employment for long.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#15348  Postby Alan C » Jan 04, 2019 8:25 am

scott1328 wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:Here's a fun tangential diversion for everyone to enjoy ...

He is perforce obliged to select the criminal and/or incompetent. No ethical, competent person will stay in or be retained in Trump's employment for long.

The best people.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#15349  Postby Animavore » Jan 04, 2019 1:27 pm

Heh! Remember "draining the swamp"? D'ya remember that bullshit?

With the departure of Defense Secretary James Mattis, industry lobbyists now make up four of President Trump’s cabinet secretaries.

The New York Times’ Eric Lipton reminded his followers Wednesday that secretaries for several of the most important agencies the executive branch of the federal government — like the Departments of Defense, Interior, and Health and Human Services — are lobbyists for the industries those agencies are ostensibly supposed to be regulating.

https://gritpost.com/trump-administrati ... 40YpjAViR8

I remember.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15350  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jan 04, 2019 7:15 pm

Looking forward to the first rounds from the House committee subpoena cannon

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15351  Postby Caper » Jan 04, 2019 10:02 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Looking forward to the first rounds from the House committee subpoena cannon

Good guys with a gun?
:naughty2:
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15352  Postby Macdoc » Jan 05, 2019 1:59 am

The US could use a lot more of this

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, youngest congresswoman, sidesteps bid to shame her with 'dorky' dance video

instead of the orange horror....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-04/ ... t/10685796
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15353  Postby i have no avatar » Jan 05, 2019 3:04 am

Animavore wrote:Heh! Remember "draining the swamp"? D'ya remember that bullshit?

With the departure of Defense Secretary James Mattis, industry lobbyists now make up four of President Trump’s cabinet secretaries.

The New York Times’ Eric Lipton reminded his followers Wednesday that secretaries for several of the most important agencies the executive branch of the federal government — like the Departments of Defense, Interior, and Health and Human Services — are lobbyists for the industries those agencies are ostensibly supposed to be regulating.

https://gritpost.com/trump-administrati ... 40YpjAViR8

I remember.

To your point, really, is the whole video. But the funniest (most sad?) is the part that starts ~15:00 where the Orange Liar admits he just used the phrase because it worked, and not because he really meant it. Crank it up, and you can hear the audience start to suck wind (although they always sucked) when they realize that the candidate they supported is just an asshole.

But then again, Bo Derek c. 1991 (~0:21).

But then again, again, the Butthole Face at ~0.28 (not yet Orange - sorRy for tHe Use of capiTal lEtters).

but i do have a signature
i have no avatar

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15354  Postby willhud9 » Jan 05, 2019 5:18 am

Macdoc wrote:The US could use a lot more of this

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, youngest congresswoman, sidesteps bid to shame her with 'dorky' dance video

instead of the orange horror....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-04/ ... t/10685796

She is my role model and makes me want to run for office.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15355  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 05, 2019 9:47 am

Is this the new Trump tactic. Keep the government in shutdown until the next elections. He has nothing to lose.

Trump confirms he said government shutdown could last months or years

President threatens to declare national emergency and build wall without congressional approval: ‘I can do it if I want’

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#15356  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 05, 2019 9:56 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Is this the new Trump tactic. Keep the government in shutdown until the next elections. He has nothing to lose.

Trump confirms he said government shutdown could last months or years

President threatens to declare national emergency and build wall without congressional approval: ‘I can do it if I want’

He's already made another threat:
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-declaring-national-emergency-secure-wall-funding-sources/story?id=60164759
Trump considering declaring national emergency in an effort to secure wall funding

The president, when asked by ABC News' senior national correspondent Terry Moran during a press conference, acknowledged that he would consider declaring a national emergency to help get funds to build the wall "for the security of our country".

Trump did not elaborate on the details of such a process.

Now whether he can actually do this or not, it's yet another example of his petulant toddler personality.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15357  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 05, 2019 11:14 am

"I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT.
BOO HOO BOO HOO".
"Please dont look any further nice Mr Mueller".

The two are not unrelated.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15358  Postby Tero » Jan 05, 2019 12:38 pm

trump sam give me my wall.jpg
trump sam give me my wall.jpg (582.26 KiB) Viewed 414 times
humor http://karireport.blogspot.com/
serious http://esapolitics.blogspot.com/

How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#15359  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 05, 2019 12:45 pm

Fucking hilarious. Pence does not know where to put himself. A openly bi-sexual and NO bible.

Mike Pence had to swear in the first openly bisexual congresswoman and the internet loved it

The House is becoming more and more diverse thanks to the new Democratic majority, and the ushering in of a record-setting number of women – the first two Muslim women, the first two Native American women and the first openly bisexual woman, senator Kyrsten Sinema.

Sinema was sworn in my Mike Pence and used a law book instead of a Bible or any other religious text.

:rofl:

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15360  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 05, 2019 2:36 pm

Heh, Sinema made Pence fucking squirm. He was staring his fucking doom in the face, and she was revelling in that. *Looks for high five smiley *
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs