President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#15481  Postby felltoearth » Jan 12, 2019 5:14 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
chango369 wrote:If accurate, this report is stunning. It makes me speculate whether the shutdown has more to do than just the wall.

In the days after President Trump fired James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, law enforcement officials became so concerned by the president’s behavior that they began investigating whether he had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests, according to former law enforcement officials and others familiar with the investigation.

The inquiry carried explosive implications. Counterintelligence investigators had to consider whether the president’s own actions constituted a possible threat to national security. Agents also sought to determine whether Mr. Trump was knowingly working for Russia or had unwittingly fallen under Moscow’s influence.

F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia

Makes you wonder what else they knew that we don't know yet.

That’s essentially what I was suggesting up thread.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#15482  Postby Animavore » Jan 12, 2019 6:29 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15483  Postby Alan C » Jan 12, 2019 7:01 pm

The orange führer refused a deal made by Republicans between Republicans and he is a Republican president. The only thing he's accomplishing is painting himself into a corner.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#15484  Postby aban57 » Jan 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Alan C wrote:The orange führer refused a deal made by Republicans between Republicans and he is a Republican president. The only thing he's accomplishing is painting himself into a corner.

And yet, this won't be enough for them to turn on him.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#15485  Postby BlackBart » Jan 12, 2019 7:23 pm

felltoearth wrote:
chango369 wrote:If accurate, this report is stunning. It makes me speculate whether the shutdown has more to do than just the wall.

In the days after President Trump fired James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, law enforcement officials became so concerned by the president’s behavior that they began investigating whether he had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests, according to former law enforcement officials and others familiar with the investigation.

The inquiry carried explosive implications. Counterintelligence investigators had to consider whether the president’s own actions constituted a possible threat to national security. Agents also sought to determine whether Mr. Trump was knowingly working for Russia or had unwittingly fallen under Moscow’s influence.

F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia

You'd imagine the Russians would manage to employ someone competent.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15486  Postby OlivierK » Jan 12, 2019 9:23 pm

Competent people carry different risks to useful idiots.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15487  Postby Alan C » Jan 12, 2019 9:34 pm

aban57 wrote:
Alan C wrote:The orange führer refused a deal made by Republicans between Republicans and he is a Republican president. The only thing he's accomplishing is painting himself into a corner.

And yet, this won't be enough for them to turn on him.

Marco Rubio had a funny of saying he was possibly going to balk;

"It depends how it's constructed. I don't want to take away any of the President's leverage, but I don't think shutdowns are good for him -- or for us or for anyone. It's certainly not good for Americans."

This 'leverage' just happens to be the hundreds of thousands of federal employees and the Americans that depend on them [including Vets]. You can also add the affects on science too;

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... 05858770=1
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#15488  Postby Hermit » Jan 13, 2019 7:15 am

newolder wrote:We know that Manafort had trouble with document formats that led to his arrest but when his lawyers display further document incompetence, what can one say? "These guys are worth every penny he's not going to pay them.", I guess. :crazy:

Their latest submission:
DEFENDANT PAUL J. MANAFORT JR.’S RESPONSE TO THE SPECIAL COUNSEL’S SUBMISSION IN SUPPORT OF ITS BREACH DETERMINATION

Defendant Paul J. Manafort, Jr., by and through counsel, respectfully submits this response to the Office of Special Counsel’s submission in support of its determination that Mr. Manafort breached the plea agreement in this case.

available at https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... 108-Dc.pdf

contains redacted sections that, upon copy-pasting to, say, the mac app. notes, become readable. :doh:

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#15489  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jan 13, 2019 7:22 am

BlackBart wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

I've heard a lot from former intelligence agents and officials on the subject and the overwhelming consensus is that they look for the greedy narcissist. The competent ones are unlikely to put themselves in a position that produces kompromat.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15490  Postby Alan C » Jan 13, 2019 7:30 am

BlackBart wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

I've heard a lot from former intelligence agents and officials on the subject and the overwhelming consensus is that they look for the greedy narcissist. The competent ones are unlikely to put themselves in a position that produces kompromat.

And space cadets like Carter Page?
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#15491  Postby Hermit » Jan 13, 2019 7:47 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Gimme a goddamn break. This forum acted as your personal flufffer for years despite you never having been a particularly valuable contributor to discussions. All the boring fucking pictures in place of arguments, FFS.

To be fair, sometimes forum members outright refuse discussing something SP brings up. A few days ago he provided a link to a Youtube clip, but because its host and commentator is an insufferably annoying arsehole, the next person to post refused to click on it outright and the immediately following one said he may watch it some time later. They basically received 'likes' for refusing discussion.

In his irritating style the presenter showed some clips of Schumer, Obama and H. Clinton voicing a range of opinions that Trump is echoing now. There are of course important differences, such as them never proposing a coast to coast wall, or systematically separating children from their parents, but they referred to Mexican border crossers as illegals that take jobs from American citizens, are a material impost on the country, must be stopped, or failing that, turned back and so on. In short, an issue worth discussing, but nobody took silly puppy up on it.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#15492  Postby OlivierK » Jan 13, 2019 8:04 am

If Trump wanted to discuss strategies for effectively reducing illegal immigration, he'd get far more traction than he's getting right now. But, like on pretty much every issue, he shows no signs of actually being sufficiently informed to hold that discussion in anywhere near the detail needed to find effective solutions to a complex problem. It's "who knew that healthcare was so complicated?" all over again.

So we're treated to slogans, or nothing. At the first sign that something more complex than "Build that wall!" was going to be required politically, Trump ran away. He demonstrates daily that he's not vaguely intellectually equipped to do the job he's been elected to do. The Presidency is no gimme. It helps to be tough, or charming, or cunning, but it's absolutely necessary to be smart. Trump struggles because he's none of those things.

Edited to add: I was one of those who failed to find time to watch a Mark Dice clip. Dice is a serial liar and he's usually about as convincing a provocateur as Skinny, which is to say, not very. I'd be more to happy to engage with Skinny if he'd made a point that Trump was echoing former Democratic politicians, given some examples, and offered the video as containing more. But just dumping a Mark Dice video without a word explaining why anyone should watch it? No thanks, seen enough Mark Dice videos to make a judgement about where that goes on my to do list. As it turned out, not high enough to make it to the top. I expect any thumbs up given were not for failing to engage, but by people who agreed that Skinny should make more effort to engage, by actually doing more than just copypastaing a youtube URL and buggering off.
Last edited by OlivierK on Jan 13, 2019 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15493  Postby BlackBart » Jan 13, 2019 8:09 am

BlackBart wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

He certainly fits the profile.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15494  Postby chango369 » Jan 13, 2019 10:04 am

Speaking of Helsinki...

President Trump has gone to extraordinary lengths to conceal details of his conversations with Russian President Vladi­mir Putin, including on at least one occasion taking possession of the notes of his own interpreter and instructing the linguist not to discuss what had transpired with other administration officials, current and former U.S. officials said.

Trump did so after a meeting with Putin in 2017 in Hamburg that was also attended by then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. U.S. officials learned of Trump’s actions when a White House adviser and a senior State Department official sought information from the interpreter beyond a readout shared by Tillerson

Trump has concealed details of his face-to-face encounters with Putin from senior officials in administration
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#15495  Postby Alan C » Jan 13, 2019 10:50 am

He probably ate those notes too.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#15496  Postby The_Piper » Jan 13, 2019 12:56 pm

OlivierK wrote:-snip-

Edited to add: I was one of those who failed to find time to watch a Mark Dice clip. Dice is a serial liar and he's usually about as convincing a provocateur as Skinny, which is to say, not very. I'd be more to happy to engage with Skinny if he'd made a point that Trump was echoing former Democratic politicians, given some examples, and offered the video as containing more. But just dumping a Mark Dice video without a word explaining why anyone should watch it? No thanks, seen enough Mark Dice videos to make a judgement about where that goes on my to do list. As it turned out, not high enough to make it to the top. I expect any thumbs up given were not for failing to engage, but by people who agreed that Skinny should make more effort to engage, by actually doing more than just copypastaing a youtube URL and buggering off.

Exactly this. Refusing to watch a Mark Dice video isn't refusing to hear the other side. Mark Dice is not a serious person and it's a waste of time to watch his videos.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15497  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jan 13, 2019 3:34 pm

Is Mark Dice sincere or is he just riding the gravy train, I wonder. He's certainly found a niche to exploit. I don't know if he actually believes the conspiracies he peddles though. I always have trouble believing these dudes are legit.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15498  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 13, 2019 3:37 pm

I don't think it's extreme to say if Mark Dice is the only place you can get a particular piece of information, you should probably look into it more instead of putting it up as evidence. He thinks Super Bowl halftime shows are illuminati rituals, he's out of his fucking tree.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15499  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jan 13, 2019 3:52 pm

I mean, they consist of a lot of rich people but I don't think Beyonce is an Illuminatus.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15500  Postby The_Piper » Jan 13, 2019 4:17 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Is Mark Dice sincere or is he just riding the gravy train, I wonder. He's certainly found a niche to exploit. I don't know if he actually believes the conspiracies he peddles though. I always have trouble believing these dudes are legit.

Same here. Though it's worrying that there are apparently lots of people who believe this shit. Including one who got enough votes in the right places to be president. He's an Infowars fan.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs