President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#16741  Postby willhud9 » Jun 11, 2019 8:49 pm

Republicans, like my father, may have been able to see reason once upon a time, but the majority of Republicans I engage with dogmatically follow Trump or reject anything from "leftist" media. No matter what links I present to them they refuse to think critically instead they want people they trust to think critically for them so they do not have to worry.

Climate change is a massive threat? Let me check Fox News? Oh they are making fun of the New Green Deal, so obviously its not THAT big of a deal. And even if it was surely people are doing something about it.

Things like that. The average constituent in the country is largely apathetic, regardless of political affiliation. Although more progressive liberals tend to take politics very seriously. The problem with that is most progressive liberals are stuck all in the same place: cities. Their sphere of influence on the rest of the country is incredibly limited. If the majority of people actually educated themselves on policy and took the time to care about laws that effect their neighbors we may see substantial change.

Instead I see plenty of talks about people wanting to have Straight Pride parades. Fuck off.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16742  Postby aban57 » Jun 11, 2019 9:46 pm

willhud9 wrote:Republicans, like my father, may have been able to see reason once upon a time, but the majority of Republicans I engage with dogmatically follow Trump or reject anything from "leftist" media. No matter what links I present to them they refuse to think critically instead they want people they trust to think critically for them so they do not have to worry.

Climate change is a massive threat? Let me check Fox News? Oh they are making fun of the New Green Deal, so obviously its not THAT big of a deal. And even if it was surely people are doing something about it.

Things like that. The average constituent in the country is largely apathetic, regardless of political affiliation. Although more progressive liberals tend to take politics very seriously. The problem with that is most progressive liberals are stuck all in the same place: cities. Their sphere of influence on the rest of the country is incredibly limited. If the majority of people actually educated themselves on policy and took the time to care about laws that effect their neighbors we may see substantial change.

Instead I see plenty of talks about people wanting to have Straight Pride parades. Fuck off.

I'm sorry if I'm mistaken, but weren't you the one arguing that the extreme polarization of the US politics wasn't an issue ? Or is my memory fuzzy ?
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#16743  Postby willhud9 » Jun 11, 2019 10:45 pm

aban57 wrote:
willhud9 wrote:Republicans, like my father, may have been able to see reason once upon a time, but the majority of Republicans I engage with dogmatically follow Trump or reject anything from "leftist" media. No matter what links I present to them they refuse to think critically instead they want people they trust to think critically for them so they do not have to worry.

I'm sorry if I'm mistaken, but weren't you the one arguing that the extreme polarization of the US politics wasn't an issue ? Or is my memory fuzzy ?

Polarization isn't an issue. The idea that the best position is a centrist position is nonsense. Political apathy and willful ignorance in the face of dogmatic beliefs is a major issue which is separate from polarization.

The reality is a good percentage of Republican constituents have simply doubled down on their beliefs without critical thinking being applied. That is willful ignorance.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16744  Postby aban57 » Jun 12, 2019 8:45 am

willhud9 wrote:

Polarization isn't an issue. The idea that the best position is a centrist position is nonsense.

That's a strawman. Saying that extreme polarization is an issue doesn't mean the best position is centrist. And by the way, what you describe here as being a problem is a direct cause of the extreme polarization.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#16745  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 12, 2019 10:38 am

Honestly, I would say that's pretty much the Republican Party platform, and has been longer than either you or I have been alive.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#16746  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 12, 2019 10:47 am

Spearthrower wrote:

Honestly, I would say that's pretty much the Republican Party platform, and has been longer than either you or I have been alive.

Well, in that respect, Republicanism is a lot like Christianity. You're saved! No worries!
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#16747  Postby Svartalf » Jun 12, 2019 10:53 am

depends on what brand of chretinity you are talking about... Catholics are obsessed about avoiding hell, confessing their sins and praying the saints for help, it's those moronic evangelicals and born again who deal with their fear by proclaiming they are saved already... me, I just don't get how calvinists and other believers in predestination cope with the stress of having to live like they were worthy of Heavens but not knowing where they are bound for anyway.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16748  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 12, 2019 11:12 am

Svartalf wrote:depends on what brand of chretinity you are talking about... Catholics are obsessed about avoiding hell, confessing their sins and praying the saints for help, it's those moronic evangelicals and born again who deal with their fear by proclaiming they are saved already... me, I just don't get how calvinists and other believers in predestination cope with the stress of having to live like they were worthy of Heavens but not knowing where they are bound for anyway.

Do you actually know any Christian (Catholic, included) who has decided that, nope, he's out of luck? I guess not, but you could surprise me. Otherwise, carry on with the Classics Illustrated version of what Christians are up to.

What people say about their salvation status is only said to other people, in case you forgot there isn't a God.

You and I agree that Christianity is rotten to the core, don't we? Why make fine distinctions? Old habits die hard, eh?

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#16749  Postby Svartalf » Jun 12, 2019 11:18 am

Well, I've not decided that it's nope SOL, but I just don't feek I need to be overly virtuous when I have no proof there's even a dog to send me to the kennhell.

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#16750  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 12, 2019 11:25 am

Svartalf wrote:Well, I've not decided that it's nope SOL, but I just don't feek I need to be overly virtuous when I have no proof there's even a dog to send me to the kennhell.

Don't worry, Svartalf. Nobody is going to mistake you for someone striving to be anything in particular, however you feek. An anxious planet waits, transfixed, while you decide how theology works.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#16751  Postby Tero » Jun 12, 2019 4:39 pm

humor http://karireport.blogspot.com/
serious http://esapolitics.blogspot.com/

How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#16752  Postby OlivierK » Jun 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Svartalf wrote:me, I just don't get how calvinists and other believers in predestination cope with the stress of having to live like they were worthy of Heavens but not knowing where they are bound for anyway.

The most Calvinist guy I ever knew coped with the stress by figuring that if it was all predetermined it didn't matter whether or not he beat his wife. :nono:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#16753  Postby Svartalf » Jun 12, 2019 10:06 pm

Well, I hope his wife divorced him and took him to the cleaners, my ex did her best to make a wife beater of me, I lost her but never stooped that down.

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#16754  Postby OlivierK » Jun 12, 2019 10:13 pm

It was a long time ago, and she bore it like a good Christian wife - even helped the fucker run (unsuccessfully) as a Christian Party politician.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#16755  Postby Arcanyn » Jun 13, 2019 12:33 am

The saying "people make gods in their image" is pretty apt here. Psychopaths have psychopathic gods whose purpose is to give them an excuse to do all the things they want to do anyway, while avoiding any responsibility for their actions.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16756  Postby Alan C » Jun 13, 2019 2:51 am

The Orange Scrotum has said in an interview today that he would accept foreign help in 2020, he also would not report it to the FBI.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#16757  Postby Alan C » Jun 13, 2019 9:03 pm

The Office of Special Council has called for Kellyanne Conjob to be removed and Sarah Slanders is stepping down as Propaganda Secretary.
News news news.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#16758  Postby Tero » Jun 13, 2019 9:11 pm

humor http://karireport.blogspot.com/
serious http://esapolitics.blogspot.com/

How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#16759  Postby chango369 » Jun 13, 2019 10:27 pm

Alan C wrote:The Office of Special Council has called for Kellyanne Conjob to be removed and Sarah Slanders is stepping down as Propaganda Secretary.
News news news.

Good fucking riddance!
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#16760  Postby CarlPierce » Jun 14, 2019 12:18 am

Doubt sarah is leaving, if claims she is must be a lie.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs