President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#16841  Postby Thommo » Jun 18, 2019 10:57 pm

I agree completely. I also agree with Will that it's a choking shame of rot that we have to discuss things this way.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16842  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jun 19, 2019 12:20 am

Thommo wrote:The very clear damnation of the Mueller report has been filtered through so-called "Conservative media" despite its actual and damning content. A failed impeachment would inevitably go the same way - the Conservative media would report a full vindication and the same people who swallowed the fabricated nonsense about Mueller would swallow fabricated nonsense again.

That's unfair, Thommo. You're leaving out the folks who claim to be on the left or in the centre (Greenwald, Maté, Dore, Tracey, and so on) who also just happened to spin this the way conservative media wanted it spun. Many of them went on Fox News and RT for just this purpose. With friends like those...

:drunk:
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#16843  Postby Seabass » Jun 19, 2019 12:26 am

The constitution has provisions for removing a corrupt president for a reason. If defrauding an election, playing footsie with Ruskies, and then trying to shut down an investigation into himself doesn't warrant impeachment, then what the fuck does? I don't give a shit how quixotic impeachment may be at this point, I want congress to do its fucking duty. Americans turned out in record numbers to give Dems control of the House, and what are they doing with it? Jack squat. Pelosi is fucking useless. They have to at least try. It's their fucking job.
Last edited by Seabass on Jun 19, 2019 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots." ―H.L. Mencken

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." —Einstein
"I’m a nationalist." —Trump
Seabass

Name: Typical Macho American

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16844  Postby Thommo » Jun 19, 2019 12:30 am

I understand your anger, but I don't get why you'd be cross with Pelosi. The lack of consequences for an impeachment that doesn't result in conviction seems pretty damn crucial to me.

The House is only going to get one shot at impeachment, and who wants to empower Trump by blowing it if a better chance could come along later? Who wants to give him the chance of "vindication" and a ratings bump that could take him to a second term?

Once he's not president his prosecutorial immunity goes away regardless (and a criminal trial would be warranted even were an impeachment to result in conviction anyway).
Thommo

Print view this post

#16845  Postby Seabass » Jun 19, 2019 12:49 am

Thommo wrote:I understand your anger, but I don't get why you'd be cross with Pelosi. The lack of consequences for an impeachment that doesn't result in conviction seems pretty damn crucial to me.

The House is only going to get one shot at impeachment, and who wants to empower Trump by blowing it if a better chance could come along later? Who wants to give him the chance of "vindication" and a ratings bump that could take him to a second term?

My opinion is that they should do the right thing regardless of what anyone thinks the likely outcome may be.
Thommo wrote:
Once he's not president his prosecutorial immunity goes away regardless (and a criminal trial would be warranted even were an impeachment to result in conviction anyway).

I'm not interested in vengeance. I want him out. Ok, I'm a little interested in vengeance, but the important thing is to get this corrupt pile of shit out of office...
"The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots." ―H.L. Mencken

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." —Einstein
"I’m a nationalist." —Trump
Seabass

Name: Typical Macho American

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16846  Postby Thommo » Jun 19, 2019 12:55 am

I'm not quite sure vengeance is what I mean when I talk about holding him to account at a later date than removing him from office, but fair enough, I get what you're saying.
Thommo

Print view this post

#16847  Postby OlivierK » Jun 19, 2019 2:16 am

I'd also love Congress - as a whole - to do its job.

It's not going to.

I have as much interest in the House doing half the job, knowing the second half won't get done, as I'd have in my mechanic doing a needed oil change if I knew he'd drain the engine, but fail to put in new oil, or as I'd have in booking in for surgery where I knew I'd get cut open, but not stitched back up.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16848  Postby Alan C » Jun 19, 2019 6:40 pm

I not only want that rancid cancerous arse boil out of office, I want to see him behind bars to answer for all the shit he's done in his miserable life. Not just as president.
I do often rankle that he's not being impeached because I don't like to see any more damage done by him and his criminal cabinet. It is both a relief and a worry that actions like cyber operations have been taken against Russia without telling the Shitstain-in-chief because the relevant military agencies don't trust him!!
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#16849  Postby aban57 » Jun 19, 2019 10:35 pm

Alan C wrote:I want to see him behind bars to answer for all the shit he's done in his miserable life.

Everyone here does. But how is that supposed to happen in this country ? Remember anything about Trump university ? Why would you assume it will be different next time ?
Even though he is convicted of everything wrong he did (and that's a huge stretch), he won't get half the sentence.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#16850  Postby Alan C » Jun 19, 2019 11:50 pm

Oh, I do have an appreciation for how screwed the justice system can be in the US, the case of that shrivelled sphincter Epstein is a particularly lurid example. I do maintain some small level of hope though because the alternative is a tad depressing.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#16851  Postby aban57 » Jun 20, 2019 9:50 am

Alan C wrote:Oh, I do have an appreciation for how screwed the justice system can be in the US, the case of that shrivelled sphincter Epstein is a particularly lurid example. I do maintain some small level of hope though because the alternative is a tad depressing.

Well you're probably right. If you stop hoping for things to change, you can't change them any more.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#16852  Postby Animavore » Jun 20, 2019 11:25 pm

Things worsen at the concentration camp.

Trump Administration to Migrant Kids: No Soap for You!
Children in Border Patrol custody aren’t guaranteed access to basic hygiene or bedding, the Justice Department tells incredulous judges

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... jyepQF3-q4
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16853  Postby Alan C » Jun 21, 2019 12:00 am

The lawyer must have known she was on a hiding to nothing in trying to defend that position because it is indefensible.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#16854  Postby Animavore » Jun 21, 2019 5:35 am

Teens taking care of toddlers, children eating uncooked food, and an outbreak of the flu: Lawyers report dire conditions at a Texas Border Patrol station where migrant children are being held

"In my 22 years of doing visits with children in detention I have never heard of this level of inhumanity," said Holly Cooper, an attorney who represents detained youth. "Seeing our country at this crucible moment where we have forsaken children and failed to see them as human is hopefully a wake up for this country to move toward change."

https://www.businessinsider.com/lawyers ... &r=US&IR=T
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16855  Postby Animavore » Jun 21, 2019 5:47 am

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16856  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 21, 2019 5:59 am

Not just Iraq. Just look at the USA's glorious history.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#16857  Postby Mike_L » Jun 21, 2019 6:41 am

...and the Pentagon has apparently decided that the whole mutually-assured-destruction-as-deterrent thing isn't for them anymore. They now think that use of nuclear weapons can be used to keep the USA ensconced on the world throne...

Nuclear weapons: experts alarmed by new Pentagon 'war-fighting' doctrine

US joint chiefs of staff posted then removed paper that suggests nuclear weapons could ‘create conditions for decisive results’

The Pentagon believes using nuclear weapons could “create conditions for decisive results and the restoration of strategic stability”, according to a new nuclear doctrine adopted by the US joint chiefs of staff last week.

The document, entitled Nuclear Operations, was published on 11 June, and was the first such doctrine paper for 14 years. Arms control experts say it marks a shift in US military thinking towards the idea of fighting and winning a nuclear war – which they believe is a highly dangerous mindset.

Full text at:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/19/nuclear-weapons-pentagon-us-military-doctrine
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#16858  Postby Animavore » Jun 21, 2019 7:31 am

Donald Trump 'called Iran airstrikes off at the last minute'
Planes were already in the air and ships in position when the order came to stand-down, according to reports.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/news.sky.co ... e-11745994
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16859  Postby Rumraket » Jun 21, 2019 7:43 am

Jesus fucking Christ. And it's not like the manchild can't go and change his mind again. I have a hard time believing this isn't some sort of political theater though. Why would this information get leaked? It's almost like they're trying to get the Iranians scared and on their toes, and more likely to make a mistake that can goad them into a war that Clump can then say is justified retaliation.

It's got John Bolton written all over it.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#16860  Postby Animavore » Jun 21, 2019 7:48 am

One of the reasons Trump supporters claimed they disliked Hilary was 'cause she was a warmonger. Our resident Trump supporter argued that Trump was a President of peace and was looking forward to seeing the US pull out of the Middle East and all these places.

Unfortunately he's fucked off now and we won't get to see how he defends this. And defend he will. Criticism of Dear Leader is forboden. Even when he goes against stuff you previously stated or believe.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs