President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#16901  Postby proudfootz » Jun 23, 2019 8:00 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
proudfootz wrote:Some additional information on the Flynn affair:

What is arguably most disturbing about this case is that then-National Security Adviser Flynn was pushed into a perjury trap by Obama administration holdovers at the Justice Department who concocted an unorthodox legal rationale for subjecting Flynn to an FBI interrogation four days after he took office, testing Flynn’s recollection of the conversations while the FBI agents had transcripts of the calls intercepted by the National Security Agency.

In other words, the Justice Department wasn’t seeking information about what Flynn said to Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak – the intelligence agencies already had that information. Instead, Flynn was being quizzed on his precise recollection of the conversations and nailed for lying when his recollections deviated from the transcripts.

https://consortiumnews.com/2017/12/01/t ... gen-flynn/

The entirety of this seems to be based on the initial contention that Flynn wasn't aware that lying to the FBI is a felony... :scratch:

Whereas, if you follow the proceedings in court, the Judge's response to this was that such an excuse was offensive, as in, offended his intelligence.

It appears to show that they were interviewing him about an exchange which interrogators already had the transcripts of and which had exactly zero to do with the 2016 election (which was the alleged justification for the investigation in the first place).

Not being able to recall one of a thousand conversations one might have had word for word doesn't necessarily constitute 'lying'.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16902  Postby proudfootz » Jun 23, 2019 8:03 pm

aban57 wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Mike_L wrote:I'm with CIA veteran Ray McGovern on this one.

Honestly, this just reads like bog-standard conspiracy claptrap to me.

Despite the collusion conspiracy theory having been put to rest, many Americans, including members of Congress, right and left, continue to accept the evidence-impoverished, media-cum-“former-intelligence-officer” meme that the Kremlin interfered massively in the 2016 presidential election.

This is simply bullshit, there's no other way to say it. This is contrary to the Mueller report, contrary to intelligence reports, and contrary to bipartisan readings of the evidence available.

Wrong. The Muller report clearly says there is not active collusion. Which mean; Tump and associates actively trying to get dirt on Clinton. That's because there isn't any evidence that the Tump tower meeting with te Russian woman didn't get anywhere. Either because they didn't procede, or because they buried the evidence. Trump himself claimed Russians helped him get elected.

'The Muller report clearly says there is not active collusion.'

That's my understanding, and the understanding of any number of observers.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16903  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 24, 2019 12:10 am

proudfootz wrote:
aban57 wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Despite the collusion conspiracy theory having been put to rest, many Americans, including members of Congress, right and left, continue to accept the evidence-impoverished, media-cum-“former-intelligence-officer” meme that the Kremlin interfered massively in the 2016 presidential election.

This is simply bullshit, there's no other way to say it. This is contrary to the Mueller report, contrary to intelligence reports, and contrary to bipartisan readings of the evidence available.

Wrong. The Muller report clearly says there is not active collusion. Which mean; Tump and associates actively trying to get dirt on Clinton. That's because there isn't any evidence that the Tump tower meeting with te Russian woman didn't get anywhere. Either because they didn't procede, or because they buried the evidence. Trump himself claimed Russians helped him get elected.

Then you and your observers need to actually read the report, then. Try page 2.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16904  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 24, 2019 4:07 am

aban57 wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Wrong. The Muller report clearly says there is not active collusion.

Well, it doesn't - it says no such thing, because 'collusion' is a nonsensical misdirecting strawman kooky word made up by the Trump administration at some point.

In fact, the Mueller report directly addresses this:

In evaluating whether evidence about collective action of multiple individuals constituted a crime, we applied the framework of conspiracy law, not the concept of "collusion." In so doing, the Office recognized that the word "collud[ e ]" was used in communications with the Acting Attorney General confirming certain aspects of the investigation's scope and that the term has frequently been invoked in public reporting about the investigation. But collusion is not a specific offense or theory of liability found in the United States Code, nor is it a term of art in federal criminal law. For those reasons, the Office's focus in analyzing questions of joint criminal liability was on conspiracy as defined in federal law. In connection with that analysis, we addressed the factual question whether members of the Trump Campaign " coordinat[ ed]"-a term that appears in the appointment order-with Russian election interference activities. Like collusion, "coordination" does not have a settled definition in federal criminal law. We understood coordination to require an agreement-tacit or express-between the Trump Campaign and the Russian government on election interference. That requires more than the two parties taking actions that were informed by or responsive to the other's actions or interests. We applied the term coordination in that sense when stating in the report that the investigation did not establish that the Trump Campaign coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.

Rather, it talked about coordination with a foreign government, particularly Russia, and it found multiple instances of attempted coordination that all failed for one reason or another.

But anyway, that's all by-the-by, I think you misread what you were replying to. What that post was about was:

My bold

Russia's interference in the 2016 Presidential election is already evidenced completely independently of the Mueller report, however, again the Mueller investigation details multiple instances of Russia's interference... to give just a few examples:

The Internet Research Agency (IRA) carried out the earliest Russian interference operations identified by the investigation-a social media campaign designed to provoke and amplify political and social discord in the United States.

At the same time that the IRA operation began to focus ·on supporting candidate Trump in early 2016, the Russian government employed a second form of interference: cyber intrusions (hacking) and releases of hacked materials damaging to the Clinton Campaign. The Russian intelligence service known as the Main Intelligence Directorate of the General Staff of the Russian Army (GRU) carried out these operations.

In March 2016, the GRU began hacking the email accounts of Clinton Campaign volunteers and employees, including campaign chairman John Podesta. In April 2016, the GRU hacked into the computer networks of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) and the Democratic National Committee (DNC). The GRU stole hundreds of thousands of documents from the compromised email accounts and networks. Around the time that the DNC announced in mid-June 2016 the Russian government's role in hacking its network, the GRU began disseminating stolen materials through the fictitious online personas " DCLeaks" and "Guccifer 2.0." The GRU later released additional materials through the organization WikiLeaks.

All sources taken from: https://www.justice.gov/storage/report.pdf

aban57 wrote:Which mean; Tump and associates actively trying to get dirt on Clinton.

That's not actually the scope at all. Coordination could have meant many other things, the dirt on Clinton one just comes from something Trump said on tv.

aban57 wrote: That's because there isn't any evidence that the Tump tower meeting with te Russian woman didn't get anywhere.

Double negative.

It doesn't need to get anywhere for it to be suggestive of attempted coordination.

While the Mueller report could not establish beyond credible doubt that Russia and the Trump team coordinated, there are so many lines of evidence that the will was there, whether or not anything actually happened. Chances are that some low level coordination did occur, but it's too difficult to establish to a sufficient degree of evidence.

aban57 wrote:Either because they didn't procede, or because they buried the evidence. Trump himself claimed Russians helped him get elected.

Dozens of times, but then he's also said the opposite dozens of times too.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#16905  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 24, 2019 4:09 am

proudfootz wrote:
It appears to show that they were interviewing him about an exchange which interrogators already had the transcripts of and which had exactly zero to do with the 2016 election (which was the alleged justification for the investigation in the first place).

Not being able to recall one of a thousand conversations one might have had word for word doesn't necessarily constitute 'lying'.

That's nothing to do with the trial proceedings and the conversation the Judge had with Flynn's attorney.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#16906  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 24, 2019 4:10 am

proudfootz wrote:

Then to be blunt, and quite pissed off blunt too - you clearly didn't fucking read it and you should before you go round repeating propaganda.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#16907  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 24, 2019 4:15 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:

Just boggles my mind.

This is rational fucking skepticism, and I'm seeing Youtube levels of make-believe and nonsense asserted as fact.

Well, I guess it's the News, Politics & Current Affairs subforum, so it's at least following some form in that regard.

:doh:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#16908  Postby Animavore » Jun 24, 2019 11:59 am

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16909  Postby Animavore » Jun 24, 2019 12:03 pm

That Trump, he's such a promulgator of peace. All hail.

Trump dismisses UN request for FBI to investigate Jamal Khashoggi's murder
President suggests it would jeopardise weapons sales to Saudis

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... 1561297863
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16910  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jun 24, 2019 2:10 pm

Animavore wrote:That Trump, he's such a promulgator of peace. All hail.

Trump dismisses UN request for FBI to investigate Jamal Khashoggi's murder
President suggests it would jeopardise weapons sales to Saudis

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... 1561297863

I know that over and over again just when it looks like he's got as low as is possible he still finds a way to sink even lower. But even knowing that, I'm still having real problems articulating the level of scumbaggery this represents.

Great message for US citizens living and working abroad too.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16911  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 24, 2019 3:24 pm

Mike_L wrote:

(Wow! What a relief that the Obama-Hillary camp managed to get Michael Flynn out of office with their Russiagate crap.

That's factually not what happened.

Neither Obama, nor Hilary, nor anyone related to them had anything to do with Flynn's departure from office.

Sean Spicer aka Trump's Press Secretary wrote:We got to a point not based on a legal issue, but based on a trust issue, where a level of trust between the President and General Flynn had eroded to the point where he felt he had to make a change ... The issue here was that the President got to the point where General Flynn's relationship – misleading the Vice President and others, or the possibility that he had forgotten critical details of this important conversation had created a critical mass and an unsustainable situation. That's why the President decided to ask for his resignation, and he got it.

You're peddling fiction Mike.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#16912  Postby aban57 » Jun 24, 2019 3:27 pm

proudfootz wrote:
aban57 wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

How convenient of you to avoid answering the rest. :roll:
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#16913  Postby Mike_L » Jun 24, 2019 3:48 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Mike_L wrote:

(Wow! What a relief that the Obama-Hillary camp managed to get Michael Flynn out of office with their Russiagate crap.

That's factually not what happened.

Neither Obama, nor Hilary, nor anyone related to them had anything to do with Flynn's departure from office.

Sean Spicer aka Trump's Press Secretary wrote:We got to a point not based on a legal issue, but based on a trust issue, where a level of trust between the President and General Flynn had eroded to the point where he felt he had to make a change ... The issue here was that the President got to the point where General Flynn's relationship – misleading the Vice President and others, or the possibility that he had forgotten critical details of this important conversation had created a critical mass and an unsustainable situation. That's why the President decided to ask for his resignation, and he got it.

You're peddling fiction Mike.

Obama was mudslinging Flynn from the outset...

On November 10, 2016, President Obama warned President-elect Trump against hiring Flynn. During their meeting in the Oval Office two days after the election, Obama expressed "profound concerns" about hiring Flynn to a sensitive, high-level national security post.

-- Wikipedia
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#16914  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 24, 2019 4:01 pm

Mike_L wrote:
Obama was mudslinging Flynn from the outset...

Mike, I like you a lot, you're a good chap...

But this is batshit, honestly.

Who gives a fuck what Obama said or did? It's entirely irrelevant to the point in hand which is Flynn's dismissal from the Trump Whitehouse, the investigation into his factual ties with Russia, and his trial.

You mentioned Pravda, and this is literally the Pravda 2.0 playbook - misdirection, sowing dissent, stoking up division etc. You need to get a bit more media savvy, mate because even if the USA does many terrible things, that doesn't make Russia the hero; their agenda, played out through RT, is not benevolent to anyone else's interests other than their own.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#16915  Postby Animavore » Jun 24, 2019 4:41 pm

Hack! Spit!
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16916  Postby proudfootz » Jun 24, 2019 8:40 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
aban57 wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

This bit?

Like collusion, "coordination" does not have a settled definition in federal criminal law. We understood coordination to require an agreement-tacit or express-between the Trump Campaign and the Russian government on election interference. That requires more than the two parties taking actions that were informed by or responsive to the other's actions or interests. We applied the term coordination in that sense when stating in the report that the investigation did not establish that the Trump Campaign coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.

Or does Mueller mean 'yes there was' when he writes 'no there wasn't'?

:crazy:
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16917  Postby proudfootz » Jun 24, 2019 8:48 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:I don't come up against Consortium News much, but a quick check of all the comments from my leftist groups on Twitter tells me it's deep into red-brownism, publishes the work of Caitlin Johnstone and Max Blumenthal, and pushes many of the same lines as RT. All red flags for me.

Obviously I'll read the pieces if they're of interest and try to keep an open mind, but eish! Eish!

As I don't get much of my new from Twitter I guess I'm out of the loop in which color of leftism passes the purity test.

felltoearth wrote:Looked at in context with the Mueller report it’s a two year old hack piece. My personal opinion, for what it’s worth, is that the shit Flynn is involved in is so thick that perjuring himself was likely the best option at the time.

The only fact in this remark is that the article is two years old. I wasn't aware that the facts of the case have undergone revisions since then.

But I'm content in this case to lend more credibility to a detailed report by an award-winning investigative journalist over the unsubstantiated opinion of an esteemed member of this forum.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16918  Postby aban57 » Jun 24, 2019 8:55 pm

proudfootz wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
aban57 wrote:

This bit?

Like collusion, "coordination" does not have a settled definition in federal criminal law. We understood coordination to require an agreement-tacit or express-between the Trump Campaign and the Russian government on election interference. That requires more than the two parties taking actions that were informed by or responsive to the other's actions or interests. We applied the term coordination in that sense when stating in the report that the investigation did not establish that the Trump Campaign coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.

You don't seem to be able to put 2 and 2 together, so let me explain again.

aban57 wrote:

So according to your definition, you're claiming that there was no obstruction too ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#16919  Postby proudfootz » Jun 24, 2019 9:05 pm

aban57 wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
aban57 wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

How convenient of you to avoid answering the rest. :roll:

That 'Tump' was trying to get dirt on Clinton? Something like the Steel Dossier from Fusion GPS? Horrible!

There was a Russian woman in a meeting in 'Tump' Tower? Veselnitskaya? Who was supposedly peddling information on Clinton provided from Fusion GPS?

No evidence this meeting didn't get anywhere? :doh:

I'm sort of interested in whether there is evidence it did. Burden of proof is on the accusers, not the defendant. At least that was the way it was. Has that changed?

Maybe they buried the evidence you'd need to make your case? Now isn't that convenient.

Lots of people are claiming Russians helped 'Tump' - but I wouldn't put too much reliance on the President's tweets.

Hope this helps you figure out why skepticism of unevidenced claims is justified. You might try it!
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16920  Postby proudfootz » Jun 24, 2019 9:08 pm

aban57 wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
proudfootz wrote:

This bit?

You don't seem to be able to put 2 and 2 together, so let me explain again.

aban57 wrote:

So according to your definition, you're claiming that there was no obstruction too ?

Not at all.

Do you understand why 'collusion' and 'obstruction' are spelled and pronounced differently?

Do you understand that they are words with different meanings?
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs