President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#18541  Postby aban57 » Jan 16, 2020 8:49 am

aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#18542  Postby BlackBart » Jan 16, 2020 10:17 am

Reminds me of a funny story about a sacked game-show host and a stand-up comedian...

...oh, hang on.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18543  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 16, 2020 5:33 pm

It's basically like 'does anything really matter anymore?' - Trump could literally shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not just retain his voters, but also keep the support of the Republican Party who would leap to spin any criticism of it as a partisan attack by rabid Democrats.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#18544  Postby aban57 » Jan 16, 2020 7:12 pm

This is so petty, so pathetic...
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#18545  Postby Seabass » Jan 16, 2020 7:49 pm

These are Giuliani associate Lev Parnas' most explosive claims in his wild interview with Rachel Maddow

Lev Parnas, a Ukrainian American business associate of Rudy Giuliani — the former New York City mayor who is now President Donald Trump's personal defense attorney — has sent shock waves through Washington by implicating senior administration officials in the scheme to bully Ukraine into caving to Trump's personal demands.

Trump sought investigations from Ukraine into his political opponents while withholding vital security assistance and a White House meeting Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky desperately wanted. Concerns over his dealings with Ukraine led to his impeachment on charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.

Parnas spoke with MSNBC's Rachel Maddow in an explosive interview that aired Wednesday, just one day after the House Intelligence Committee released a trove of documents containing text messages and handwritten notes detailing Parnas' intricate role in the pressure campaign.

Here are Parnas' most explosive claims from his interview with Maddow:

• He corroborated impeachment testimony given by David Holmes, a State Department staffer who testified that he overheard Trump discussing his demands that Ukraine dig up or manufacture dirt on former Vice President Joe Biden and his son, Hunter, with the US's ambassador to the EU, Gordon Sondland.
    Holmes testified that he could easily hear Trump speaking to Sondland on the phone while dining out with Sondland, and Parnas corroborated that claim, telling Maddow he could hear the president talking loudly when people spoke to him on the phone, even when he wasn't on speakerphone.
  • Parnas said Giuliani told Ukrainian officials that Parnas was Trump's representative and was working directly on his behalf.
  • Giuliani instructed Parnas to tell a senior aide to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky "in a harsh way" that unless they announced the investigations Trump wanted against Biden, Ukraine would not receive US military aid and Vice President Mike Pence would not attend Zelensky's inauguration.
    Parnas told Maddow Giuliani instructed him to say "there would be no one" at Zelensky's inauguration if he did not concede to Trump's demands.
    Pence canceled his trip to Ukraine after Zelensky refused to publicly commit to the investigations at the time.
  • "The only motivation" behind the abrupt ouster of Marie Yovanovitch, then the US's ambassador to Ukraine, was that she was "in the way" of Giuliani's efforts to strongarm Ukraine into caving in to Trump's political demands.
    Parnas describing Robert F. Hyde, the GOP congressional candidate who indicated he was stalking Yovanovitch's movements in Ukraine: "I don't even know how to explain him. He's a weird character. He's a weird individual."
    When Maddow pressed Parnas and said the texts with Hyde stretched seven days, Parnas replied, "I think he was either drunk or was trying to make himself bigger than he was ... I didn't take it seriously."
  • Attorney General William Barr "was basically on the team" as far as the Ukraine pressure campaign went.
    Barr "had to have known everything" about the investigation into the Bidens, Parnas told Maddow. Though he said he had never spoken with the attorney general, he said he was privy to conversations between Barr and Giuliani.
    A representative for the Justice Department told Maddow in a statement that Parnas' claim about Barr's role was "100% false."
  • Dmytro Firtash, a Ukrainian oligarch close to the Kremlin, offered Parnas unproven dirt that would "blow up" the former special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation in exchange for the Justice Department dropping its fraud and bribery charges against Firtash.
  • Parnas publicly apologized to Yovanovitch for his role in the smear campaign against her and for engineering her dismissal.
  • Republican Rep. Devin Nunes of California, the highest-ranking Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, "was aware" of Trump's pressure campaign in Ukraine and "had a lot of information" that could help the president.
    "I was in shock when I was watching the [impeachment] hearings, and when I saw Devin Nunes sitting up there ... I texted my attorney and said, 'I can't this is happening because they were involved in getting all this stuff on Biden,'" Parnas told Maddow.
    "It's hard to see them lie like that when you know that it's like that," he continued. "It's scary that he was sitting there and making all these statements and all that when he knew very well what was going on."
    Nunes told the Fox News host Sean Hannity in December that he didn't recall ever hearing Parnas' name before, despite call logs showing he had called Parnas and Giuliani three or four times during the release of the Mueller report.
    "He knew what was happening," Parnas said. "He knows who I am."

https://www.businessinsider.com/lev-parnas-explosive-claims-from-giuliani-associates-msnbc-interview-2020-1
"The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots." ―H.L. Mencken

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." —Einstein
"I’m a nationalist." —Trump
Seabass

Name: Typical Macho American

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18546  Postby Seabass » Jan 16, 2020 7:52 pm

"The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots." ―H.L. Mencken

Seabass

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18547  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jan 16, 2020 9:48 pm

Spearthrower wrote:It's basically like 'does anything really matter anymore?' - Trump could literally shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not just retain his voters, but also keep the support of the Republican Party who would leap to spin any criticism of it as a partisan attack by rabid Democrats.

Just like any puss fulled sore, it needs to be aired out.

Knowing the forgone conclusion of an exonerated Trump and possibly even a second term is not a good enough excuse for keeping it all in the dark. We need to know everything for the sake of history.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#18548  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 16, 2020 9:52 pm

If it didn't really matter, he wouldn't put any effort at all into hiding it. The reactions to all these bombshell discoveries are woefully inadequate, but I've got to have some hope that they are cumulative.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18549  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jan 16, 2020 11:42 pm

The Government Accountability Office (GAO) has concluded that Trump has in fact broken the law in withholding constitutionally mandated defense aid.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/1 ... ays-099682

This might cost Trump a few votes. Probably not as much as a dozen though.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18550  Postby Seabass » Jan 16, 2020 11:45 pm

Seabass

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18551  Postby Seabass » Jan 17, 2020 9:02 am

Seabass

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18552  Postby Svartalf » Jan 17, 2020 10:16 am

quas wrote:So WW3 is just tweetwar now? :nono:

wait till Tehran glasses Tel Aviv
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18553  Postby Tero » Jan 17, 2020 12:55 pm

The senate trial thankfully does not allow 10 or even 1 senator to dish up fictional accounts on Joe and Hunter Biden.

They try very hard, using journalistic skills/lies. He makes up a fictional file on Hunter Biden:

But while there is a debate over whether Republicans will vote to call witnesses, there is no debate on how the Senate Democrats intend to vote -- 100% for removal of a president they fear they may not be able to defeat.

Consider Trump's alleged offense: pressing Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy to investigate Burisma Holdings and Hunter Biden.

Assume Zelenskiy, without prodding, sent to the U.S., as a friendly act to ingratiate himself with Trump, the Burisma file on Hunter Biden.
Would that have been a crime?

Why is it then a crime if Trump asked for the file?

The military aid Trump held up for 10 weeks -- lethal aid Barack Obama denied to Kyiv -- was sent. And Zelenskiy never held the press conference requested, never investigated Burisma, never sent the Biden file.

There is a reason why no crime was charged in the impeachment of Donald Trump. There was no crime committed.

https://townhall.com/columnists/patbuch ... t-n2559651

Of course there is a file on Hunter Biden, but only the contract for his services, which were to sit at board meetings a few times a year. The board votes on Burisma matters which at this time are internal and do not need to be revealed. But board members do not devise technical things or criminal efforts. They look at finances, annual reports and such. Business! In any case, the president of Ukraine cannot get info on a board member of a company in his country.
humor http://karireport.blogspot.com/
serious http://esapolitics.blogspot.com/

How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#18554  Postby Tero » Jan 17, 2020 2:00 pm

Wow, more cool stuff appeared
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump%E2% ... ne_scandal
Jump to Giuliani

Responding to a motion by the liberal watchdog group American Oversight,[96] on October 23 a federal judge gave the State Department 30 days to release Ukraine-related records, including communications between Pompeo and Rudy Giuliani.[97] On November 22, the State Department released internal emails and documents that bolstered Gordon Sondland's congressional testimony that Pompeo participated in Giuliani's activities relating to Ukraine. The documents also showed the State Department had deliberately deceived Congress about the rationale for Yovanovitch's removal as ambassador.[96]

During his call with Zelensky, Trump said, "I will ask [Giuliani] to call you along with the Attorney General. Rudy very much knows what's happening and he is a very capable guy. If you could speak to him that would be great."[98] In November, Trump denied directing Giuliani to go to Ukraine to seek damaging information on the Bidens.[99] Giuliani had asserted in September that "everything I did was to defend my client."[100]

Naftogaz

Perry with Zelensky at Zelensky's inauguration, May 2019
Since March 2019, while Giuliani was pressing the Ukrainian administration to investigate the Bidens, a group of businessmen and Republican donors used their ties to Trump and Giuliani to try to replace the leadership of Ukrainian state-owned oil and gas company Naftogaz. The group sought to have Naftogaz contracts granted to businesses owned by allies of Trump, but this effort hit a setback when Volodymyr Zelensky won the 2019 Ukrainian Presidential Election.[101] During a state visit for President Zelensky's inauguration in May, U.S. Secretary of Energy Rick Perry reportedly pressured President Zelensky to fire members of the Naftogaz supervisory board,[101] but Perry denied this, stating in a press conference on October 7: "That was a totally dreamed-up story".[102] On October 10, Perry was issued a subpoena by the House Intelligence Committee, the House Oversight Committee, and the House Foreign Affairs Committee, partially concerning his interactions with Naftogaz.[103][104][105]

Firtash is represented by Trump and Giuliani associates Joseph diGenova and his wife Victoria Toensing, having hired them on Parnas's recommendation. The New York Times reported in November that Giuliani had directed Parnas to approach Firtash with the recommendation, with the proposition that Firtash could help to provide compromising information on Biden, which Parnas's attorney described was "part of any potential resolution to [Firtash's] extradition matter."[112] Shokin's statement notes that it was prepared "at the request of lawyers acting for Dmitry Firtash."[113][109] Bloomberg News reported on October 18 that during the summer of 2019 Firtash associates began attempting to dig up dirt on the Bidens in an effort to solicit Giuliani's assistance with Firtash's legal matters, as well as hiring diGenova and Toensing in July. Bloomberg News also reported that its sources told them Giuliani's high-profile publicity of the Shokin statement had greatly reduced the chances of the Justice Department dropping the charges against Firtash, as it would appear to be a political quid pro quo.[114]

Firtash made his fortune brokering Ukrainian imports of natural gas from the Russian firm Gazprom.[120] As vice president, Joe Biden had urged the Ukrainian government to eliminate middlemen such as Firtash from the country's natural gas industry, and to reduce the country's reliance on imports of Russian natural gas. Firtash denied involvement in collecting or financing damaging information on the Bidens.[112]

The links are in the actual Wiki article
humor http://karireport.blogspot.com/
serious http://esapolitics.blogspot.com/

How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#18555  Postby Animavore » Jan 17, 2020 5:54 pm

Trump Accidentally Autographed His Own Impeachment Papers at Michigan Rally

Read More: President Trump Autographed Impeachment Papers at Michigan Rally 

https://wcrz.com/trump-accidentally-aut ... m=referral

For some reason when I read this the first thing that popped into my head was that scene from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#18556  Postby Animavore » Jan 17, 2020 6:05 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#18557  Postby Animavore » Jan 17, 2020 6:07 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#18558  Postby felltoearth » Jan 17, 2020 8:02 pm

Animavore wrote:

For some reason when I read this the first thing that popped into my head was that scene from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.

HAHA! yes!
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18559  Postby aban57 » Jan 17, 2020 9:08 pm

Animavore wrote:

For some reason :D
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#18560  Postby Seabass » Jan 17, 2020 9:29 pm

All the best people!

Trump Just Hired Jeffrey Epstein’s Lawyers

Donald Trump is lawyering up for his impeachment trial with a team that looks surprisingly similar to that of billionaire pedophile Jeffrey Epstein.

The president bolstered his legal team Friday with attorneys Alan Dershowitz and Kenneth Starr, who helped Epstein evade prison time in a now infamously lenient plea deal with Palm Beach prosecutors. Epstein originally faced multiple charges of soliciting and trafficking underage girls, but escaped with just 13 months of house arrest in a deal that caused Trump’s Labor Secretary Alex Acosta to resign under pressure last year.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-just-hired-jeffrey-epsteins-lawyers-alan-dershowitz-and-ken-starr

Bonus video:

Seabass

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs