President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#19041  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 05, 2020 6:48 am

Alan C wrote:Given his latest press conference it should be abundantly clear that tRump is way out of his depth. I don't expect that to change and that it still won't be enough to prompt the GOP to cut him loose. Even if they were that would mean Pence is elevated and he's been almost as unfit in terms of managing a health crisis.

Meanwhile...
Attachments
queen.jpg
queen.jpg (57.21 KiB) Viewed 462 times
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#19042  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 05, 2020 7:06 am

Alan C wrote:Even if they were that would mean Pence is elevated and he's been almost as unfit in terms of managing a health crisis.

Don't get me wrong, he's a moron... but even a moron is an almost deity level genius comparative to Trump's ridiculously bloated sense of self-worth. Pence, for all his flaws, wouldn't have been treating this real world emergency like a fucking game show worrying about his ratings and image.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#19043  Postby OlivierK » Apr 05, 2020 8:18 am

Pence was more concerned with his image amongst his fundamentalist base than he was with the health emergency when he was managing Indiana's response to the HIV epidemic.

Anyway, it's hard to say that Pence would do better with COVID-19 than Trump, given that Trump put him in charge of the administration's response. It's hard to know how any of them would do without Trump there sucking all the oxygen out of the room, though.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19044  Postby Hermit » Apr 05, 2020 9:14 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Alan C wrote:Given his latest press conference it should be abundantly clear that tRump is way out of his depth. I don't expect that to change and that it still won't be enough to prompt the GOP to cut him loose. Even if they were that would mean Pence is elevated and he's been almost as unfit in terms of managing a health crisis.

Meanwhile...

That's all Liz can do. Unlike other heads of state, she does not govern. She is not even allowed to appoint a Prime Minister, cabinet or any members of parliament (in either house) to govern on her behalf. She's just a symbolic figurehead that gets rolled out for ceremonial occasions. Poor thing is obliged to attend every opening of a new hospital, bridge, school, envelope...
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#19045  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 05, 2020 9:29 am

OlivierK wrote:Pence was more concerned with his image amongst his fundamentalist base than he was with the health emergency when he was managing Indiana's response to the HIV epidemic.

That's readily explicable from a different context - fundie, ignorant preacherman thinks it's just them gays. There's no question he's thick, just not remotely as thick or as self-obsessed as Trump.

OlivierK wrote:Anyway, it's hard to say that Pence would do better with COVID-19 than Trump, given that Trump put him in charge of the administration's response. It's hard to know how any of them would do without Trump there sucking all the oxygen out of the room, though.

It's top-down dysfunctional - everyone in the administration has to think first about not making Trump look bad, then worry about whatever it is they've supposedly been told to do.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#19046  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Apr 05, 2020 8:00 pm

OlivierK wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:If you look at it like criticising Ben Shapiro or Jordan Peterson in front of their fans, it becomes clearer.

Yes, the reaction from certain people here when Biden is criticized is pretty scary.

Nobody is reacting to criticising Biden. People are reacting to you saying he's as bad as Trump, to the point that it's not worth going out to the polls and voting for him as the only alternative to Trump.

Honestly, look outside your little bubble: Trump - right now - has spent the last month spreading bullshit about how COVID-19 is just like the flu, and will soon be gone, then spreading a second round of bullshit about how he never said that, and been weirdly fixated on how his ratings have been high for pandemic briefings that he's turning into campaign rallies. For all of Biden's failings, of which there are many, he would have been so much better for the US in this current situation, in ways that would translate to more Americans ending up alive. To look at the effects of Trump as President over the last two months and not realise that he's almost a uniquely fucked-up person to have as President when competence, compassion, intelligence, and effectiveness are required is just to have one's head up one's arse to a degree that's almost unbelievable.

You are indeed defending Biden. Anyone who dares to criticize him is attacked and ridiculed. On the other hand, attacking lefties is perfectly fine.

Look outside. Trump is proposing that the government pays for tests and treatments for the virus. The guy is running to Biden's left for fucks sake. Biden's problem is not people criticizing him on a forum. Biden's problem is that he is a useless, lying right-winger and rapist who is completely incompetent.
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#19047  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Apr 05, 2020 8:01 pm

OlivierK wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:If you look at it like criticising Ben Shapiro or Jordan Peterson in front of their fans, it becomes clearer.

Yes, the reaction from certain people here when Biden is criticized is pretty scary.

Nobody is reacting to criticising Biden. People are reacting to you saying he's as bad as Trump, to the point that it's not worth going out to the polls and voting for him as the only alternative to Trump.

Honestly, look outside your little bubble: Trump - right now - has spent the last month spreading bullshit about how COVID-19 is just like the flu, and will soon be gone, then spreading a second round of bullshit about how he never said that, and been weirdly fixated on how his ratings have been high for pandemic briefings that he's turning into campaign rallies. For all of Biden's failings, of which there are many, he would have been so much better for the US in this current situation, in ways that would translate to more Americans ending up alive. To look at the effects of Trump as President over the last two months and not realise that he's almost a uniquely fucked-up person to have as President when competence, compassion, intelligence, and effectiveness are required is just to have one's head up one's arse to a degree that's almost unbelievable.

You are indeed defending Biden. Anyone who dares to criticize him is attacked and ridiculed. On the other hand, attacking lefties is perfectly fine.

Look outside. Trump is proposing that the government pays for tests and treatments for the virus. The guy is running to Biden's left for fucks sake. Biden's problem is not people criticizing him on a forum. Biden's problem is that he is a useless, lying right-winger and rapist who is completely incompetent.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#19048  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Apr 05, 2020 8:02 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:

WayOfTheDodo is frightened by challenges to his assertions. It's terrifying to be held to account for claims you make. Positively chilling to be unable to freely engage in wilful hyperbole and outright fantasy.

No, it's scary to see people so aggressively defending a right-wing liar and rapist. At the same time, progressives are freely attacked with lies and smears, and the same people cheer and applaud it.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#19049  Postby ronmcd » Apr 05, 2020 9:23 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
No, it's scary to see people so aggressively defending a right-wing liar and rapist. At the same time, progressives are freely attacked with lies and smears, and the same people cheer and applaud it.

Is this some sort of performance art? That might explain why I don't get it.

I don't get it. Words have meaning, and yours seem to be arse over elbow.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#19050  Postby OlivierK » Apr 05, 2020 9:27 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:

WayOfTheDodo is frightened by challenges to his assertions. It's terrifying to be held to account for claims you make. Positively chilling to be unable to freely engage in wilful hyperbole and outright fantasy.

Bullshit. Pretty much everyone you claim is smearing progressives and defending Biden has said they would have preferred Sanders to win the nomination.

You, WayOfTheDodo, are not all progressives. When the lies you post here get attacked that's not an attack on progressivism, or on progressives in general, it's an attack on bullshit. If you didn't post so much of it, you'd see that. Has it ever occurred to you that most of the pushback you get is from other progressives who think shit like yours damages the cause?
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19051  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 05, 2020 10:40 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
OlivierK wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:

Assertion, assertion, assertion - why are you so free with your assertions and allegations yet fail abysmally ever to back a single one of them up?

No one is defending Biden - they're rejecting your inane smear, innuendoes and accusations. But support? Why can't you engage with even a modicum of honesty?

And Trump is not running to Biden's left - what a thick assertion to make.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#19052  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 05, 2020 10:45 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:

Stop bullshitting Dodo.

No one's defended Biden - I've asked you 4 times to SHOW evidence of anyone supporting Biden, and other people have pointed this out to you too.

Dismissing your absurd accusations as being the product of a febrile imagination = / = 'defending Biden' - aggressively, or elsewise.

For example, Biden is not a rapist - you keep asserting that, but it's just not true. People are not vile criminals just because you say they are. Your assertion is contrary to any level of reasoned discourse, and consequently people dismiss it as bollocks. That's a defense of reasonable discourse, not of Biden.

The only person engaging in lies and smears is you.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#19053  Postby Spinozasgalt » Apr 07, 2020 1:19 am

By a 5–4 Vote, SCOTUS Lets Wisconsin Throw Out Tens of Thousands of Ballots

On Monday, by a 5–4 vote, the U.S. Supreme Court approved one of the most brazen acts of voter suppression in modern history. The court will nullify the votes of citizens who mailed in their ballots late—not because they forgot, but because they did not receive ballots until after Election Day due to the coronavirus pandemic. As Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg wrote in dissent, the court’s order “will result in massive disenfranchisement.” The conservative majority claimed that its decision would help protect “the integrity of the election process.” In reality, it calls into question the legitimacy of the election itself.

Wisconsin has long been scheduled to hold an election on April 7. There are more than 3,800 seats on the ballot, and a crucial state Supreme Court race. But the state’s ability to conduct in-person voting is imperiled by COVID-19. Thousands of poll workers have dropped out for fear of contracting the virus, forcing cities to shutter dozens of polling places. Milwaukee, for example, consolidated its polling locations from 182 to five, while Green Bay consolidated its polling locations from 31 to two. Gov. Tony Evers asked the Republican-controlled legislature to postpone the election, but it refused. So he tried to delay it himself in an executive order on Monday. But the Republican-dominated state Supreme Court reinstated the election, thereby forcing voters to choose between protecting their health and exercising their right to vote.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... llots.html
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19054  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Apr 07, 2020 1:32 am

...and some people think I’m being paranoid, or delusional, to suggest the November election won’t happen. This is how it begins.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19055  Postby proudfootz » Apr 07, 2020 1:38 am

I'm guessing it will be a shitshow, and whichever party wins will say it was legit and the party that loses will complain about it.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#19056  Postby felltoearth » Apr 07, 2020 1:33 pm

People need to get over the Biden/Sanders thing and realize that the Prez is but one factor in 2020. Look down ballot. Vote dem all the way down. This has to be the message to millennials.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19057  Postby The_Piper » Apr 07, 2020 2:53 pm

Our supreme court bites now. That's really depressing.
I hope our governor figures out a better way to vote in the general than usual. Mail-in ballots is the way to go, I think. She's been good so far, and is a Democrat, and our congress has a Democratic majority, so I imagine a reasonable solution will be figured out by then. It's sad that the political party of a leader is even a hint at how they might act when it comes to safety and turnout. If I had to do it in person today with no change to the process, I might not.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19058  Postby OlivierK » Apr 07, 2020 11:29 pm

The_Piper wrote:It's sad that the political party of a leader is even a hint at how they might act when it comes to safety and turnout.

It's sad that politicians of either party have a say in how elections are run. In much of the world, including here, they don't. It's all handled by an independent election authority, who also handle redistricting when required.

We've got local elections (county equivalent) due in September, but they've been put off until September 2021. Not too worried about that, as both local councils in our area are doing a great job in general, and with the pandemic in particular, so continuity through this year is probably a good thing. An election delay to March 2021 was also considered, and would have been better, though. With a full year's delay, it's expected that many councillors who were planning to retire may step down early.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19059  Postby Tortured_Genius » Apr 08, 2020 12:51 am

Although not directly about Trump, trickle-down stupidity appears to be endemic in this administration.

Coronavirus warship row: Acting US Navy secretary resigns (BBC)

Capt Crozier was fired last week, and footage of his crew sending him off the warship with applause went viral.

Mr Modly flew 8,000 miles on Monday to the Pacific island of Guam, where the USS Theodore Roosevelt is docked, and berated the crew for having cheered the captain as he left the ship.

FFS What kind of a total fuckwit does that?
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19060  Postby zulumoose » Apr 08, 2020 9:50 am

Capt Crozier for President!
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs