President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#19921  Postby chango369 » Aug 09, 2020 1:08 am

dt118.jpg
dt118.jpg (70 KiB) Viewed 455 times
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#19922  Postby Alan C » Aug 09, 2020 2:01 am

The postal service?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#19923  Postby Seabass » Aug 09, 2020 9:17 pm

:hurl: :vomit: :puke: :barf:

The White House reportedly asked South Dakota's governor how to add another president to Mount Rushmore, and she later gave Trump a 4-foot replica with his face on it
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-gov-noem-trumps-desire-carved-into-mt-rushmore-2020-8

"He said, 'Kristi, come on over here. Shake my hand,'" Noem recounted to South Dakota's Argus Leader. "I shook his hand, and I said, 'Mr. President, you should come to South Dakota sometime. We have Mount Rushmore.' And he goes, 'Do you know it's my dream to have my face on Mount Rushmore?' "I started laughing," she said. "He wasn't laughing, so he was totally serious."

Noem, a close ally of President Trump's, has since played into that dream, at least with the power she has.

When Trump visited the monument in early July for an Independence Day speech, she greeted him with a four-foot model of Mount Rushmore with his face carved into it, the Times reported, citing a source familiar with the exchange.
"No, no, no, not God bless America. God damn America!" —Reverend Jeremiah Wright
Seabass

Name: Antifa Provocateur

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19924  Postby chango369 » Aug 09, 2020 9:24 pm

dt119.jpg
dt119.jpg (80.27 KiB) Viewed 394 times
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#19925  Postby Seabass » Aug 09, 2020 10:29 pm

Everything we suspected about Donald Trump has come true

Donald Trump is a fascist. He comes right out and says it. Even his friends admit it. He's also a whiny loser

There were 65,853,514 of us who voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016, and it didn't take long to prove how right we were. Donald Trump waited less than 24 hours after he was inaugurated as the 45th president of the United States before he dispatched his press secretary, Sean Spicer, to the White House briefing room — attired in a tent-like garment reminiscent of David Byrne's "Big Suit" in the Talking Heads documentary, "Stop Making Sense" — to lie about the size of the crowd at his inauguration. Trump's inaugural ceremony and parade had "the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period, both in person and around the globe," Spicer told the White House press corps, which was already showing photographs of the sparse crowd on the National Mall and Trump waving to entire blocks of unoccupied bleachers along the inaugural parade route. Spicer's lie about Trump's crowd size was so blatant, it was shocking.

And the shocks kept coming.

By the time Trump got around on Thursday to his proposal to postpone the November election, the only proper reaction was to say, We told you so. We saw this coming.

It's too late for people like Steven G. Calabresi, co-founder of the arch-conservative Federalist Society, who wrote an op-ed in the New York Times on Thursday calling Trump's proposal "fascistic and … grounds for the president's immediate impeachment again by the House of Representatives and his removal from office by the Senate."

That ship sailed in February, pal. Trump was a fascist last year when he openly solicited help from a foreign nation, Ukraine, in his campaign for re-election. He was a fascist when the House voted to impeach him in December. He was a fascist when the Senate voted against removing him from office at his impeachment trial in February. He was a fascist on June 1 when he ordered armed troops and other federal agents to use force to remove peaceful protesters from around Lafayette Park so he could march across Pennsylvania Avenue for his infamous Bible-waving photo-op in front of St. John's Church.

Trump was a fascist when he ordered his attorney general, William Barr, to drop the charges against his first national security adviser, Michael Flynn, for lying about his collusion with the Russian ambassador to lift sanctions against Russia. Hell, Trump was a fascist back in 2017 when he fired FBI Director James Comey for refusing to "go easy" in his investigation of Flynn and the rest of Trump's campaign for colluding with Russians in the 2016 election. He was a fascist when he commuted the sentence of his longtime pal and political fixer Roger Stone, who had been convicted of obstruction of justice and lying to the Congress.

Trump was a fascist way back in 1989 when he advocated bringing back the death penalty in New York after the young men known as the "Central Park Five" were wrongfully convicted of gang-raping a jogger. He was still a fascist last year when he refused to apologize for his harsh comments about the innocent men. "You have people on both sides of that," Trump told reporters at the White House in June of 2019, again deploying "both sides" in refusing to back down from yet another fascistic position he had taken. He was a fascist every time he called journalists "the enemy of the people" at his rallies.

See, that's the thing about Donald Trump. He's a fascist, and he comes right out and admits it. He did it again on Thursday when he suggested at a White House press conference that the only votes that should count are those tallied on Election Day, thus invalidating mail-in ballots, which can take days to count after elections. "So many years, I've been watching elections. And they say the 'projected winner' or the 'winner of the election' — I don't want to see that take place in a week after Nov. 3 or a month or, frankly, with litigation and everything else that can happen, years. Years. Or you never even know who won the election."

There he goes again, telling you who he is. He wants to pick those who are allowed to vote using various laws enabling voter suppression, and then pick which votes are counted. This isn't the way elections are held in a democracy. It's the way elections are held in a fascist dictatorship.

continued: https://www.salon.com/2020/08/01/everything-we-suspected-about-donald-trump-has-come-true/
"No, no, no, not God bless America. God damn America!" —Reverend Jeremiah Wright
Seabass

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19926  Postby Alan C » Aug 10, 2020 1:44 am

I read a long article yesterday about him and the intelligence agencies. I knew about the lengths briefers went to keep the toddler-in-chief engaged but I hadn't previously heard of this particular example;
When he was to be briefed about a foreign missile system the briefer brought along a scale model of it and handed it over. The briefer then attempted to explain the capabilities of this system but Tweetolini would only focus on the model asking things like "What's it made from?" or "What does this part do?"
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#19927  Postby Animavore » Aug 10, 2020 1:03 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#19928  Postby Svartalf » Aug 10, 2020 1:19 pm

even dumber than shrub the younger?
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19929  Postby Animavore » Aug 10, 2020 2:14 pm

After Trump dies, at his eulogy the priest says: he is today how he was as president..

Wearing make-up and lying in front of us.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
from Reddit
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19930  Postby Tortured_Genius » Aug 11, 2020 12:17 pm

Svartalf wrote:even dumber than shrub the younger?

GWB's presidency can now be looked back on as halcyon days.

It's telling that among speakers at John Lewis' memorial were Bill Clinton, GWB, Obama and the latter 2 also spoke at John McCain's memorial.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19931  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 11, 2020 1:09 pm

Svartalf wrote:even dumber than shrub the younger?

Oh yes. Shrub was (to an extent) playing the part because the right wing base likes someone that looks as dumb as they do. Whereas Trump is trying his best to appear smart and barely manages to keep up with his brain dead followers.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19932  Postby The_Piper » Aug 11, 2020 2:11 pm

Now that I know who Shrub the Younger is, and he's not a Monty Python character, I can say yes, much dumber than Shrub or his impression of a Republican voter. It's not even remotely close. Trump is far dumber than most of the Creatures of Walmart. Yo Semites.
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19933  Postby The_Piper » Aug 11, 2020 2:27 pm

The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19934  Postby newolder » Aug 11, 2020 3:46 pm

Does he speak in empty rooms and/or echo chambers? How is it that no one in the vicinity even attempts shut this idiocy down? :roll:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#19935  Postby Arcanyn » Aug 11, 2020 3:55 pm

Well, he fires anybody who does.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#19936  Postby newolder » Aug 11, 2020 4:13 pm

From the youtube source (Telegraph):
Speaking at a White House Press Briefing...

A simple cry of "Bullshit!" would be a start.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#19937  Postby Svartalf » Aug 11, 2020 4:31 pm

I've spent quite some time in the countryside, on a farm when my uncle raised cattle, and I can vouch that no bovine ever dropped excrement so foul and noxious as what prez rump spouts.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19938  Postby Fallible » Aug 11, 2020 5:18 pm

Oh, the 1917 Spanish flu? Hadn’t heard of that one.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19939  Postby The_Piper » Aug 11, 2020 5:30 pm

I wonder how many hundreds of times people have told him that it started in 1918, not 1917. He refers to it very often. :crazy:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19940  Postby Seabass » Aug 11, 2020 7:31 pm

The Facts Just Aren’t Getting Through
The electorate is split into separate information bubbles. But unconventional messengers, appeals to patriotism, and even jokes can reach voters who don’t want to listen.

Afew weeks ago, I went to a political rally in a farmyard. The Polish presidential candidate Rafał Trzaskowski was speaking; in the background, a golden wheat field shimmered in the late-afternoon sun. The audience was enthusiastic—the host, a local farmer, had spread news of the candidate’s visit only the day before—but the juxtaposition of Trzaskowski and the wheat field was odd. He is the mayor of Warsaw, speaks several languages, has degrees in economics, and belongs to the half of Poland that identifies as educated, urban, and European. What does he know from wheat?

But Trzaskowski was running for president in a country whose other half lives in an information bubble that teaches people to be suspicious of anyone from Warsaw who is educated, urban, and European. Polish state television, fully controlled by the ruling Law and Justice party, was sending aggressive messages into that bubble, warning its inhabitants that Trzaskowski was dubious, foreign, in hock to “LGBT ideology”—which the incumbent president, Andrzej Duda, called “worse than communism”—and beholden to Germans and Jews. The messages, constantly repeated on a wide array of radio stations and television channels, were designed to reinforce tribal loyalties and convince Law and Justice voters that they are “real” Poles, not impostors or traitors like their political opponents.

During his short campaign, Trzaskowski did his best to reach into that bubble too. He stood beside wheat fields, spent a lot of time in small towns, and ran ads that called for an end to division. “We are united by a dream,” he said in one speech: “a dream of a different Poland,” a Poland where there are no “better” and “worse” citizens. This was a deliberate choice: Instead of mobilizing the voters inside his own bubble by attacking the ruling party, he sought to bridge Poland’s deep polarization by appealing to national unity.

He came close, winning 49 percent of the vote. But he failed. Trzaskowski’s half of Poland was insufficiently enthusiastic, while the other half was energized, angry, and very much afraid of Jews, foreigners, and “LGBT ideology.” Duda’s voters were also happy with the government subsidies and reduced retirement age that his party had approved, and not remotely inspired by Trzaskowski’s language of solidarity and unity—if they even heard it.

If they even heard it: If that doesn’t sound familiar, it should. Because the same thing could happen in the United States this fall—or during the next election in France, or Italy, or Ukraine. American politics, Polish politics, French politics, Italian politics, Ukrainian politics, all derived from their own history, economics, and culture, now have this in common: In each of these countries, deep informational divides separate one part of the electorate from the rest. Some voters live in a so-called populist bubble, where they hear nationalist and xenophobic messages, learn to distrust fact-based media and evidence-based science, and become receptive to conspiracy theories and suspicious of democratic institutions. Others read and hear completely different media, respect different authorities, and search for a different sort of news. Whatever the advantages of these other bubbles, their rules render the people in them incapable of understanding or speaking with those outside of them.

In some places, including Poland and the United States, the country is divided in half. In other places, such as Germany, the proportions vary, but the divide is just as deep. A couple of years ago, I took part in a project that looked at foreign influence in the 2017 German parliamentary elections. We found, among other things, that the overwhelming majority of Germans—left, right, and center—follow a mix of big newspapers, magazines, and television outlets, including public TV. But many of the Germans who vote for the far-right Alternative for Germany—the number hovers between 10 and 14 percent—get their news from a completely separate set of sources, including a heavy dose of Russian-funded German-language media, such as Sputnik and RT. The voters in the far-right bubble don’t just have different opinions from other Germans; they have different facts, including “facts” provided by a foreign country.

The point I am making here is not about Russia. It is about the deep gap in perceptions that now separates a tenth of German voters from the other 90 percent. Is that chasm permanent? Should the other German political parties try to reach the people in the populist bubble? But how is it possible to reach people who can’t hear you? This is not merely a question of how to convince people, how to use a better argument, or how to change minds. This is a question about how to get people to listen at all. Just shouting about “facts” will get you nowhere with those who no longer trust the sources that produce them.

Here is how this problem looks in the United States: On the day after Donald Trump met Vladimir Putin in Helsinki in 2018, Sarah Longwell found herself in Columbus, Ohio, talking with a focus group she had convened—a room full of people whom she characterizes as “reluctant” Trump voters, people who had voted for the president but had doubts. Trump’s bizarre behavior in Helsinki had bothered her. The president had looked cowed and frightened; in accepting the Russian leader’s insistence that he had not interfered in the 2016 U.S. election, Trump appeared to side with Putin and against America’s FBI. “D.C. is on fire about it, I’m on fire about it, I think it’s a big moment,” Longwell told me. “I ask folks in Columbus, ‘What happened yesterday in Helsinki?’ They look blank.”

Longwell is a Republican activist, or rather a Never Trump Republican activist—one of the few remaining members of what was once a large group. She spent 2016 rooting for an alternative to Trump. She spent 2017 losing friends. That was the year of the “body snatchers,” she said, when “people who you thought were with you suddenly started to change.” In 2018, she tried to figure out what to do next. Instead of giving up, she and another Never Trump Republican, the longtime journalist and activist Bill Kristol, raised money and set out to find people who felt the same way, not in Washington but across America, especially in Republican-voting suburbs.

Their initiative, now called Republican Voters Against Trump, immediately ran into the information wall. Among Longwell’s focus group in Ohio, Trump’s bizarre behavior in Helsinki did not register. “People haven’t heard about it,” Longwell recalled thinking. “It’s not breaking through.” This wasn’t because the people in the group were uninterested in politics. Nor was it because they were only watching Fox News. On the contrary, they were getting news from social media, from alerts on their phone, from devices of all kinds. They were getting too much news, in fact. As a result, all reporting about Trump—the crush of scandals and corruption—is, Longwell said, “so omnipresent, so daily, that it becomes white noise to people.”

Helsinki, porn stars, “Grab them by the pussy,” Ivanka Trump’s Chinese trademarks, taxpayers’ money going to Trump golf clubs, the sex scandals, ethics scandals, legal scandals, even the power-abuse scandal that led to Trump’s impeachment—they have all melted together over the past four years. They have become a series of unpleasant news stories that follow TV advertisements for hairspray or mouthwash, that precede a Facebook post about a cousin’s wedding anniversary. For Longwell’s reluctant Trump voters, dislike of the scandals and dislike of the media that report on the scandals became one and the same—a huge hornets’ nest that nobody wanted to touch or think about. At the same time, these same voters were being bombarded with other messages—messages that reminded them of their tribal allegiance. They “swim in a cultural soup of Trumpism,” Longwell said. Being Republican was part of their identity. Images relating to God, patriotism, and the Republican Party were all around them. Cumulatively, those messages were much stronger than their dislike for Trump.

continued: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/08/how-beat-populists-when-facts-dont-matter/615082/
Seabass

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs