President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#5101  Postby Animavore » Mar 24, 2017 1:21 am

No women at a meeting on healthcare which will make decisions on which women's health issues will be covered under the bill.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... white-guys

And we mock Saudi Arabia for having panels for women's programs run by men.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5102  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Mar 24, 2017 6:59 am

I'll be asking my doctor...

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5103  Postby Agrippina » Mar 24, 2017 7:49 am

What really gets me going about American health insurance is the business that you can't take it across state lines. Well that's what it sounds like to me anyway. Surely if you buy health insurance, you should be able to claim against it, anywhere in the world, let alone in your own country? I don't know but that just wrong that you can't carry it across borders within your own country.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5104  Postby Animavore » Mar 24, 2017 10:33 am

A good article on legal challenges to Trumps short-sighted, dangerous, inhumane, and generally brain dead proposal to rollback environmental protections. Including the possibility that his own words might bite him on the ass yet again.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... lbacks-too
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5105  Postby Manticore » Mar 24, 2017 11:01 am

Today is not a good day.
I'm right down in the dumps.
I paid at the toilet to drop a Donald.
But all I did was Trump.
The existence of just one racist is proof that there exists at least one person who could be reasonably classified as sub-human.
Manticore

Tanzania (tz)
Print view this post

#5106  Postby Macdoc » Mar 24, 2017 11:21 am

the Guardian concurs :whistle:

Poetry Point of view
Why poetry is the perfect weapon to fight Donald Trump
Poems are an expression of the truth: they are the ideal antidote to a demagogue’s hoarse imperatives

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/ ... of-the-new

Nothing wrong with a little doggerel for the dumpf :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5107  Postby purplerat » Mar 24, 2017 1:52 pm

Agrippina wrote:What really gets me going about American health insurance is the business that you can't take it across state lines. Well that's what it sounds like to me anyway. Surely if you buy health insurance, you should be able to claim against it, anywhere in the world, let alone in your own country? I don't know but that just wrong that you can't carry it across borders within your own country.

You can take it wherever you want (in theory at least). It's just that you can't buy it out of state.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5108  Postby crank » Mar 24, 2017 2:20 pm

purplerat wrote:
Agrippina wrote:What really gets me going about American health insurance is the business that you can't take it across state lines. Well that's what it sounds like to me anyway. Surely if you buy health insurance, you should be able to claim against it, anywhere in the world, let alone in your own country? I don't know but that just wrong that you can't carry it across borders within your own country.

You can take it wherever you want (in theory at least). It's just that you can't buy it out of state.

If I understand it correctly, it might be better to say the companies have to sell policies that are state specific, because they are still regulated by state law, the federal law sits atop the states' laws, mandated minimum coverages and other restrictions and requirements,. The companies cannot sell a plan to anyone that isn't a resident of the state. If you are traveling, you are still covered, but could likely face difficulties if you don't get all kinds of shit preapproved. Like, if you're not unconscious, get approval before you get in an ambulance, if having a heart attack, get approval before you so to a hospital. It'll be even worse if you out of country. I don't know about moving to another state, not sure how that would work.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5109  Postby purplerat » Mar 24, 2017 2:26 pm

crank wrote:
purplerat wrote:

If I understand it correctly, it might be better to say the companies have to sell policies that are state specific, because they are still regulated by state law, the federal law sits atop the states' laws, mandated minimum coverages and other restrictions and requirements,. The companies cannot sell a plan to anyone that isn't a resident of the state. If you are traveling, you are still covered, but could likely face difficulties if you don't get all kinds of shit preapproved. Like, if you're not unconscious, get approval before you get in an ambulance, if having a heart attack, get approval before you so to a hospital. It'll be even worse if you out of country. I don't know about moving to another state, not sure how that would work.

Yes that is how I understand it.

The getting approval part though, for many you have to do that no matter where you are. It's not like having insurance in X state means you can just go to any doctor in that state. At least that's not the way it works for many.

***ETA***
That's one one of the arguments for not allowing insurance to be sold across state lines; that doing so would exasperate that situation whereby it would be harder for people to get approval even within their own state as they would be dealing with an out of state agency to find local access.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5110  Postby crank » Mar 24, 2017 2:31 pm

The Guardian had an opinion piece with an interesting analysis of understanding Trump-speak, or maybe it's more a description of reality as Trump sees it, based on the interview in Time, Donald Trump's dizzying Time magazine interview was 'Trumpspeak' on display

Donald Trump’s elastic connection to reality was richly on display in his interview with Time magazine, published Thursday. Much of what the president said was unsurprising – that is, to those who have spent the past two months radically recalibrating their standards of what counts as presidential speech.

5. “The country believes me.”

In Trumpspeak, belief is a signal of truth. If his supporters believe him, then what Trump is saying must be true. Conversely, if his detractors disbelieve him, this too is evidence that what he is saying must be true. In Trumpspeak, detractors claim Trump is a liar because they are his detractors; and in calling Trump a liar, they in fact are lying.

6. “I’m president, and you’re not.”

Finally, Trumpspeak is transactional. It places no independent value on truth. The value of speech is to be measured exclusively in terms of its effects. If a statement gets me closer to my goal, then it is valuable; if it does not, it is worthless.

Valuable statements, then, are true by virtue of the fact that they advance my interests. Statements that fail to do so are worthless and thus false. I was elected president, so that means that every statement that got me here has validity.

I think "elastic connection to reality" is a bit generous, unless you allow for an elastic stretched beyond breaking as often as not.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5111  Postby crank » Mar 24, 2017 2:56 pm

purplerat wrote:
crank wrote:
purplerat wrote:

Yes that is how I understand it.

The getting approval part though, for many you have to do that no matter where you are. It's not like having insurance in X state means you can just go to any doctor in that state. At least that's not the way it works for many.

***ETA***
That's one one of the arguments for not allowing insurance to be sold across state lines; that doing so would exasperate that situation whereby it would be harder for people to get approval even within their own state as they would be dealing with an out of state agency to find local access.

Yes, I've personally bumped into some of what you've described. And there's two separate issues, there is going to doctors and facilities that are 'in-network' for your particular policy. This can be a set of doctors that differ by cities, and if you go to a doctor in-network for that company in plan A for city X but live in City Y with the same Plan A, differing only in having the city in the plan name, e.g., SAn Antonio Aetna Plan A vs Austin Aetna Plan A, you won't get in-network coverage. That example isn't a random pair of cities, I live an hour from either city and had to choose.

Supposedly, you didn't have to get pre-approval for things if you went to an -in-network doctor, but you'd still most likely have troubles in emergency situations.

Aetna was doing something really fishy, never could figure out. I chose a plan because I needed my knee replaced and wanted a specific doctor. When I tried to set up an appointment, I was told they didn't accept my plan, but they were on the approved list. When I called Aetna, the exchanges that followed were seriously suspicious. They told me if there was an error, it would be corrected, it never was. The whole clinic in question, one that touts how they are 'The doctors to the Spurs' [San Antonio's basketball team], did not accept any plan that was offered by the state market place, in other words, if you got a subsidy tax credit to help pay for the insurance.

That was last year, before the start of this year, Aetna bailed out of Texas and some other states, they claimed it was because the ACA wouldn't allow them good enough profits, but the reality of it, as was revealed in some good reporting, refs on request, was they were trying to coerce the feds into approving their merger with another huge company, forgot which one, maybe Kaiser??? The feds didn't approve and Aetna bailed, so at the moment I still have a lame knee and I'm too afraid to see how crappy my new insurance plan really is.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5112  Postby Macdoc » Mar 24, 2017 3:56 pm

Under the dumpf plan a 64 year old earning $16k a year can get health insurance...
with a deductable of $20k ..... :yuk: :nono: :crazy: :doh:

•••••

Crank you ever considered medical tourism?

http://www.themedicaltouristcompany.com ... ent-abroad

http://www.patientsbeyondborders.com/reviews

My stepdaughter got massive savings in a mouthful of problem teeth by flying to Bali despite Australia's coverage. ( for certain procedures she will use Austalia's program to cover the rest.

I find it ironic that I can buy a full year of healthcare for travel outside of Canada for $480 Cdn per year -covering me for 90 days in Australia and 30 days or less on as many subsequent trips in the year ......since I ride motorcycle in the US frequently that coverage is hugely important as at 69 I only get 2 days of free coverage from my credit cards and I often spend more time than that riding there. If I need another 90 days in Australia it is $240 or so more ....despite the fact I have had cancer tho I'm considered cured some 8 years on.

The US healthcare business is an anathema. :nono: Predation on the weakest writ large. :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5113  Postby crank » Mar 24, 2017 4:59 pm

That isn't something I've thought about, will have to check out, appreciate the headsup.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5114  Postby BlackBart » Mar 24, 2017 8:02 pm

Oopsy.

Breaking: Donald Trump's US healthcare bill vote withdrawn

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39387550
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5115  Postby crank » Mar 24, 2017 8:23 pm

What a pathetic bunch of putzes, pulled the bill because they screwed themselves so badly. Trump threatened the house members directly, and still couldn't get the vote. That will hurt him down the road, probably seriously, his impotence on display for all to see and snicker at.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5116  Postby Pebble » Mar 24, 2017 9:37 pm

Trump's approach to this interesting. 'Obamacare will explode' and 'I' as your president am now happy to do nothing and let that happen!
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5117  Postby Tero » Mar 24, 2017 10:39 pm

It will remain to be seen in the fall what insurance companies will do. They have to decide before Nov what states to offer ACA plans. They do not badly need the customers as right now the same companies get enough through corporate plans to keep in business.
How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#5118  Postby jamest » Mar 24, 2017 11:12 pm

Pebble wrote:Trump's approach to this interesting. 'Obamacare will explode' and 'I' as your president am now happy to do nothing and let that happen!

Exactly! He, as president, can choose instead to make it work better. He's not just an onlooker, but he's definitely a twat.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5119  Postby jamest » Mar 24, 2017 11:18 pm

crank wrote:What a pathetic bunch of putzes, pulled the bill because they screwed themselves so badly. Trump threatened the house members directly, and still couldn't get the vote. That will hurt him down the road, probably seriously, his impotence on display for all to see and snicker at.

Anyone who has to use threats to get their policies passed through 'the house' is a danger to said establishment. The point is that policies should pass or fail on their own merits. If that's what Trump is doing (is he?) then he should be kicked in the balls and told to fuck off. Now. Impeach the cnut and get rid.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5120  Postby The_Piper » Mar 24, 2017 11:30 pm

"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs