President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#5161  Postby BWE » Mar 26, 2017 10:44 pm

Agrippina wrote:What really gets me going about American health insurance is the business that you can't take it across state lines. Well that's what it sounds like to me anyway. Surely if you buy health insurance, you should be able to claim against it, anywhere in the world, let alone in your own country? I don't know but that just wrong that you can't carry it across borders within your own country.

I'm going to guess this has already been covered, but just in case, that is a misunderstanding. It isn't the customer who can't take their insurance across state lines, it's the companies who can't offer their insurance across state lines. Each state has an independent insurance board for handling insurance regulating and the issue is about the ability to escape that regulation by the industry.
BWE

Print view this post

#5162  Postby romansh » Mar 26, 2017 10:51 pm

Agrippina wrote:
I have no idea what the issue is with having your identity on record.

The Book of Life was bit of a shock for me. Up to that point a passport was the only identity document I needed and that was for travelling between countries.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#5163  Postby Tzelemel » Mar 27, 2017 8:19 am

Tero wrote:Agrippina, crank et al:
It's been nearly impossible to do anything federal here. No ID card, no gun permit. The passport is, and as an offshoot you can get domestic or international card that days you are no risk on flights.

Social security cards are paper with no photo. Even a Medicare card is a huge step for IDs. Some libertarians off the grid will not get them.

Right, so let me get this straight.

Apparently, there's this voter fraud problem in the US, which requires the presentation of some kind of ID.

ACA was passed, which requires compulsory health insurance, which would surely imply the necessity of some kind of ID to prove that you have health insurance.

Seems to me like you guys had the perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, but thanks to your political system favouring mental and emotional cripples, nothing's been sorted. (Who am I kidding? Our system's not that much better).
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5164  Postby Agrippina » Mar 27, 2017 11:16 am

romansh wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
I have no idea what the issue is with having your identity on record.

The Book of Life was bit of a shock for me. Up to that point a passport was the only identity document I needed and that was for travelling between countries.

It would've been a good idea if they'd incorporated a passport into it. Now we have an ID card and a driver's licence card, and separate documents for marriage, gun licences, etc. So we're back to the 1960s. Stupid. They could use a database and do everything on fingerprint or retina scan. I don't have fingerprints as I found out today when I renewed my driver's licence. So they rely on the photo they took of me.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5165  Postby Agrippina » Mar 27, 2017 11:17 am

BWE wrote:
Agrippina wrote:What really gets me going about American health insurance is the business that you can't take it across state lines. Well that's what it sounds like to me anyway. Surely if you buy health insurance, you should be able to claim against it, anywhere in the world, let alone in your own country? I don't know but that just wrong that you can't carry it across borders within your own country.

I'm going to guess this has already been covered, but just in case, that is a misunderstanding. It isn't the customer who can't take their insurance across state lines, it's the companies who can't offer their insurance across state lines. Each state has an independent insurance board for handling insurance regulating and the issue is about the ability to escape that regulation by the industry.

Thanks yes, I understand that now. :thumbup:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5166  Postby Macdoc » Mar 27, 2017 11:23 am

One reason admin costs for US healthcare is 25% compared to others around 11% and Taiwan at 2% :nono:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5167  Postby UncertainSloth » Mar 27, 2017 4:34 pm

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5168  Postby Alan B » Mar 27, 2017 4:36 pm

IBT
Jared Kushner to be interviewed about Russia ties by Senate Intelligence Committee

President Trump's son-in-law and advisor Jared Kushner will be interviewed by the Senate Intelligence Committee as part of its investigation into links between Trump associates and Russia.

Earlier today (27 March), the New York Times reported that Richard Burr's committee wish to question Kushner in connection with meetings he arranged with Sergey Kislyak, the Russian ambassador in December 2016.
CNN reported that Kushner had volunteered himself to meet with the panel in relation to their probe of Russian meddling in the US election including actions aimed at destabilising the Hillary Clinton campaign.

The White House told CNN: "Throughout the campaign and transition, Jared Kushner served as the official primary point of contact with foreign governments and officials. Given this role, he has volunteered to speak with Chairman Burr's Committee, but has not yet received confirmation."

The White House has acknowledged a December 2016 meeting between Kushner and Kislyak, which was also attended by Michael Flynn.

They have also confirmed that Kislyak requested a second meeting with Kushner later that month but Kushner asked a deputy to attend. Finally, they admit that Kushner met with Sergey Gorkov, the chief of Vnesheconombank, a Russian government owned development bank placed on US sanctions lists.

Surely, this 'Russian connection' is approaching a treasonable status, is it not? :think:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5169  Postby Pulsar » Mar 27, 2017 5:01 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-angela-merkel-nato-bill-defence-ignore-usa-germany-spending-a7650636.html

Donald Trump 'printed out fake £300bn Nato invoice and handed it to Angela Merkel'

Donald Trump reportedly gave German Chancellor Angela Merkel a bill for £300bn when the pair met recently to cover contributions he believes are owed to Nato.

Mr Trump reportedly instructed aides to calculate how much German spending fell below two per cent [of GDP] over the past 12 years, then added interest.

German defence minister Ursula Von der Leyen has rejected the notion the European nation owed the US or Nato. She issued a statement following Mr Trump's tweets saying: "There is no debt account at Nato."

Her comments were backed by Ivo Daalder, permanent representative to Nato from 2009 to 2013 under the Obama administration, who queried the President’s understanding of the organisation.

He tweeted: “Sorry Mr President, that’s not how Nato works. The US decides for itself how much it contributes to defending Nato.

“This is not a financial transaction, where Nato countries pay the US to defend them. It is part of our treaty commitment.”

:picard:
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5170  Postby Corneel » Mar 27, 2017 5:32 pm

Dat heb je nu eenmaal met een reuzekleuter in het Witte Huis.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5171  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 27, 2017 5:58 pm

Dat kun je wel zeggen. :lol:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5172  Postby Mike_L » Mar 27, 2017 6:13 pm

Okay, how well can I employ Afrikaans to make out the Dutch...?

Corneel wrote:Dat heb je nu eenmaal met een reuzekleuter in het Witte Huis.

Something about a giant toddler / child in the White House.

Scot Dutchy wrote:Dat kun je wel zeggen. :lol:

"You can well say that" -- or "That's very true".

:ask:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#5173  Postby Corneel » Mar 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Mike_L wrote:Okay, how well can I employ Afrikaans to make out the Dutch...?

Corneel wrote:Dat heb je nu eenmaal met een reuzekleuter in het Witte Huis.

Something about a giant toddler / child in the White House.

Scot Dutchy wrote:Dat kun je wel zeggen. :lol:

"You can well say that" -- or "That's very true".

:ask:

toddler = peuter (1 to 3 years old)
a kleuter is somewhat older (3 to 6 years old). Also giant toddler lacks the poetry of "reuzekleuter". Hence my use of Dutch.

ETA: if you want a freestyle English translation, it would be
"That's what you get with a superpreschooler in the White House"
"That's the least you can say"
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5174  Postby Mike_L » Mar 27, 2017 6:37 pm

:thumbup:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#5175  Postby aban57 » Mar 27, 2017 8:46 pm

D&D Trump.

:lol: :lol:

Edit : Moron... (thanks Ani).
Last edited by aban57 on Mar 27, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5176  Postby Animavore » Mar 27, 2017 8:59 pm

You have the url and text the wrong way around.

Dungeon and Dragons and Trump.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5177  Postby Macdoc » Mar 28, 2017 5:25 am

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5178  Postby Manticore » Mar 28, 2017 11:12 am

Travelling in Alfred Jarry's time machine, I came to realise that the Trump creature is really an incarnation of Pere Ubu.
The existence of just one racist is proof that there exists at least one person who could be reasonably classified as sub-human.
Manticore

Tanzania (tz)
Print view this post

#5179  Postby Agrippina » Mar 28, 2017 11:51 am

aban57 wrote:D&D Trump.

:lol: :lol:

Edit : Moron... (thanks Ani).

Excellent.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5180  Postby crank » Mar 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Being too young, and completely uninterested in politics during Watergate, I don't remember how partisan the investigation was. Anyone know if there were as many GOP back then trying to protect Nixon with the amount of blatant lying and attempts to skew the investigation, again, blatantly, as we see with Trump?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs