President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#5721  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 29, 2017 7:38 pm

Animavore wrote:
President Trump has suggested that the judiciary doesn't have the authority to question him. He was a very early proponent of nuking the filibuster for Supreme Court Justice Neil M. Gorsuch. And he recently raised eyebrows by congratulating Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on the expansion of his presidential powers — echoing his previous admiration for strongman leaders.

Now Trump is talking about consolidating his own power.

In an interview with Fox News that aired Friday night, Trump dismissed the “archaic” rules of the House and Senate — using that word four times — and suggested they needed to be streamlined for the good of the country.

A sampling:
•“We don't have a lot of closers in politics, and I understand why: It's a very rough system. It's an archaic system.”
•“You look at the rules of the Senate, even the rules of the House — but the rules of the Senate and some of the things you have to go through — it's really a bad thing for the country, in my opinion. They're archaic rules. And maybe at some point we're going to have to take those rules on, because, for the good of the nation, things are going to have to be different.”
•“You can't go through a process like this. It's not fair. It forces you to make bad decisions. I mean, you're really forced into doing things that you would normally not do except for these archaic rules.”

And then Trump came out and just said it: He doesn't like the filibuster.

“I think, you know, the filibuster concept is not a good concept to start off with,” he said.

So there you go. Trump is frustrated with the pace of legislation after 100 days, and his answer is that he wants to change the rules.

Whether this is just him blowing off steam or signaling what lies ahead, it's significant. Because it suggests a president, yet again, who doesn't agree with his own powers being limited or even questioned. Remember when senior policy adviser Stephen Miller declared “the powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned?” This is more of that kind of attitude.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... b066c68625

The short version: because he's used to operating like a dictator in business, he now wants to operate like a dictator in politics.

Hmm, wonder how many times history has shown that to be a bad idea?

Isn't this exactly why the American Constitution was framed the way it was, to prevent a demagogue like Trump from turning the USA into a de facto dictatorship? Hmm, looks like those people 200+ years ago knew a thing or two.

Moreover, I suspect many of the same people who thought obstructing Obama at every step was perfectly legitimate, will think handing executive powers on a plate to Trump will also be legitimate. At least, until they learn the hard way what that entails for themselves and their friends.

There's a reason developed jurisdictions don't include an executive presidency as part of their political process. One that was understood perfectly by Jefferson et al, and one that, perversely, allowed Trump to get where he is today as a result of being suppressed. It's the same reason developed jurisdictions strove long and hard to kill off the insidious Dark Ages concept of the 'divine right of kings'. Trump seems to think he should be given licence to rule, in exactly the same manner as the likes of Louis XVI, and we all know how well that ended.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5722  Postby Corneel » Apr 29, 2017 8:03 pm

Calilasseia wrote:There's a reason developed jurisdictions don't include an executive presidency as part of their political process. One that was understood perfectly by Jefferson et al, and one that, perversely, allowed Trump to get where he is today as a result of being suppressed. It's the same reason developed jurisdictions strove long and hard to kill off the insidious Dark Ages concept of the 'divine right of kings'. Trump seems to think he should be given licence to rule, in exactly the same manner as the likes of Louis XVI, and we all know how well that ended.

The divine right of kings is not a Dark Ages concept (in that period kings were just as likely to be elected by the nobility). It stems more from biblical principles and came in to prominence from the renaissance period on (not coincidentally with rise of the nation-state). People always contrast the Dark and Middle Ages as some period of idiocy and backwardness with the renaissance which is supposed to be all about newly discovered science and reason, while it actually saw some of the bloodiest conflicts fought over religion and superstition (French wars of religion, 30 years war, 80 years war, Spanish inquisition,...) and the rise of absolutism and the divine right of kings (which was aborted in England but not in France). Much of the nastiness ascribed to the Middle Ages actually took place in the Renaissance and subsequent periods (including witch hunts).
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5723  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 29, 2017 8:58 pm

My understanding is that the first formal statement, to the effect that kings enjoyed divine appointment and approval, dates back all the way to Adomnán of Iona, writing around 700 CE. Indeed, this notion was in effect for a good long while before it was explicitly codified and integrated into infant political science, and acted upon well before James VI of Scotland (later James I of England) penned a treatise on the subject. The concept is therefore, at least, 1,300 years old, and pre-dates the Renaissance by a good few centuries.

Likewise, Catholic doctrine included a version of the divine right of kings applicable to the Holy Roman Emperors, the first of which, Charlemagne, was crowned in 800 CE - the Catholic version, however, maintained that a king was still subservient to natural law as well as divine law, a distinction that appears to have been omitted in later, Protestant codifications.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5724  Postby Corneel » Apr 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Calilasseia wrote:My understanding is that the first formal statement, to the effect that kings enjoyed divine appointment and approval, dates back all the way to Adomnán of Iona, writing around 700 CE. Indeed, this notion was in effect for a good long while before it was explicitly codified and integrated into infant political science, and acted upon well before James VI of Scotland (later James I of England) penned a treatise on the subject. The concept is therefore, at least, 1,300 years old, and pre-dates the Renaissance by a good few centuries.

Likewise, Catholic doctrine included a version of the divine right of kings applicable to the Holy Roman Emperors, the first of which, Charlemagne, was crowned in 800 CE - the Catholic version, however, maintained that a king was still subservient to natural law as well as divine law, a distinction that appears to have been omitted in later, Protestant codifications.

The concept dates back to the bible and thus is quite a bit older. It's preeminence as a political theory is linked to the renaissance and the rise of the nation-state (in France from Francis I onwards, in England mainly under the Stuarts).
Just to put the contrast in relief: under the (direct) Capetian Kings (which span most of the middle ages), France was an elective monarchy, and the Kings took care to have their son and successor be elected as such during their own life time, succession was not automatic, even if over time the election became more and more of a formality. Also, the Holy Roman Emperors for most of their run were elected.

One of my pet peeves is this putting of all bad things at the doorstep of the dark and middle ages (and catholicism in this era), while quite a few of those things are actually more properly put at the doorstep of the renaissance, the reformation and the counter-reformation. I think it's in part due to a continuing subconscious legacy of the black legend in some form in the British (and American) mind set.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5725  Postby LucidFlight » Apr 30, 2017 12:02 am

Trump is giving his 100th-day talk (or whatever it is) in Harrisburg, PA. I'm trying to watch Trump, but he's pretty boring.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5726  Postby Animavore » Apr 30, 2017 5:49 am

Protesters being dragged out. Neo-Nazis showing up. Trump's rally is turning out to be a lovely affair.

http://addictinginfo.com/2017/04/29/tru ... ump-rants/
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5727  Postby Animavore » Apr 30, 2017 5:55 am

100 days in, Donald Trump says he has brought about 'profound change'.

President Donald Trump marked his 100th day in office by claiming historic action on his agenda, renewing promises on health care and taxes and attacking the news media for misleading Americans.

In his morning radio address, Mr Trump issued an assurance: "My only allegiance is to you, our wonderful citizens." To supporters at an evening rally in Pennsylvania, he promoted American power and patriotism while emphasising such priorities as American manufacturing, better trade deals, a border wall with Mexico and a still-to-be defined tax cut plan.

"We are not going to let other countries take advantage of us anymore," he said in Harrisburg at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex and Expo Centre. "From now on it's going to be America first."

Mr Trump's 100th day events were set in a politically important state that he won with 48% of the vote. It was the first time Pennsylvania had voted for a Republican presidential candidate since George HW Bush in 1988.

Mr Trump visited the AMES Companies in Pennsylvania's Cumberland County, a shovel manufacturer since 1774. With that backdrop he signed an executive order directing the Commerce Department and the US trade representative to conduct a study of US trade agreements. The goal is to determine whether America is being treated fairly by its trading partners and the 164-nation World Trade Organisation.

Mr Trump's rally on Saturday night in Harrisburg offered a familiar recapitulation of what he and aides have argued for days are administration successes, including the successful nomination of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court, his Cabinet choices and the approval of construction of the Keystone XL pipeline.

But the president began the rally on a sour note, pointing out that he was not attending that night's White House Correspondents' Association dinner and issuing a scathing attack on the news media. To cheers, he accused the news media of "fake news" and said if their job was to be honest and tell the truth, then they deserved "a big, fat failing grade".

"I could not possibly be more thrilled than to be more than 100 miles way from Washington's swamp," he said, "spending my evening with all of you and with a much, much larger crowd and much better people, right?"

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/10 ... 66909.html

Trump cultists lapping this shit up. :lmao:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5728  Postby thirsting » Apr 30, 2017 7:46 am

Meanwhile at the White House.. :lol:

At about 5:30 or so:
Donald Trump doesnt take alcohol. Just think about that. That means, every statement... Every interview... Every tweet.... Completely sober!
Well that was awkward.
thirsting

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#5729  Postby Animavore » Apr 30, 2017 7:56 am

Watching now. Roasted good.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5730  Postby Animavore » Apr 30, 2017 7:59 am

Latest comment on the YouTube video, "I can't wait to see this cuck with a bullet in his head."

Job here done. :lol:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5731  Postby thirsting » Apr 30, 2017 8:04 am

Besides jabs at the Trump etc, I love his critiquing of the various news channels (and "news channels"), who are there in the audience. Some guts.
Well that was awkward.
thirsting

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#5732  Postby Agrippina » Apr 30, 2017 1:00 pm

When I look at what's happening in the US, it seems to me like a ship without a captain. It's as if someone is playing at being president. There isn't a real person leading the country, just a joker, playing games.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5733  Postby theropod » Apr 30, 2017 4:27 pm

thirsting wrote:Meanwhile at the White House.. :lol:

Donald Trump doesnt take alcohol. Just think about that. That means, every statement... Every interview... Every tweet.... Completely sober!

Ha! Two of his debate appearances looked for all the world like he was coked up. The sniffs are a good indicator. A little rock breaks loose and sniffing gives one a little kick. Not that I would personally know of such things.

:drunk:

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5734  Postby Tero » May 01, 2017 12:26 am

How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#5735  Postby Macdoc » May 01, 2017 5:13 am

in your face dumpf

According to a senior congressional aide, the deal also protects other important Democratic priorities. The EPA’s budget is at 99% of current levels and includes increased infrastructure spending as well.

and no wall...

Congress agrees $1 trillion budget deal – but no money for border wall
Negotiators reach agreement on spending package to keep the US federal government funded until September, according to aides

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... order-wall
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5736  Postby Animavore » May 01, 2017 9:34 am

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5737  Postby Agrippina » May 01, 2017 1:04 pm

I liked Manoj's joke about Ivanka supporting her dad. He wouldn't allow his father who returns underwear to Costco to run for anything, let alone the presidency.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5738  Postby chango369 » May 02, 2017 9:31 am

I find it odd that this story is not on the usual MSM sites, although Robert Reich does touch on it in a Newsweek opinion piece.

President Trump said Wednesday that he has "absolutely" considered proposals that would split up the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, where judges have blocked two of his executive actions.

"Absolutely, I have," Trump said of considering 9th Circuit breakup proposals during a far-ranging interview with the Washington Examiner at the White House. "There are many people that want to break up the 9th Circuit. It's outrageous.

Exclusive interview: Trump 'absolutely' looking at breaking up 9th Circuit
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#5739  Postby Agrippina » May 02, 2017 9:41 am

After the story about his hero-worship of Andrew Jackson, and the "he was really angry" idiocy, I wonder how Americans don't feel deep shame that this craziness was brought down on us, and why the courts don't do what is necessary to get rid of him. I don't believe that the Constitution is so rigid that a vote of no-confidence, and removal can't be instituted against him. I hope that the judiciary is discussing ways to prevent this happening again.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5740  Postby proudfootz » May 02, 2017 9:51 am

thirsting wrote:Meanwhile at the White House.. :lol:

At about the 10 minute mark he says 'enough about House Slytherin' and since he'd just mentioned Clinton and Nate Silver I took him to mean the DNC and friends.

Works either way for me. ;)
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs