President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#9401  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 10, 2017 5:57 pm

Perhaps we could ask Trump to do this IQ test. :)
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9402  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 10, 2017 6:03 pm

Got two out three. The machines and the lake.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9403  Postby Seabass » Oct 10, 2017 10:49 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#9404  Postby willhud9 » Oct 10, 2017 11:21 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Got two out three. The machines and the lake.

The pence one I had to catch myself :shock:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9405  Postby pelfdaddy » Oct 11, 2017 2:30 am

I find this confusing to a degree. I got all three questions correct. I found it relatively easy. Now, here's the thing...when it comes to intelligence, I find that my ability to adapt to new surroundings is no better than average, my ability to quickly think through complicated situations (at work, say) is disappointingly muddy at times, my ability to use computers is equivalent to a quadriplegic trying on a pair of stilts, I just had to look up 'quadriplegic' because my spelling sucks ass, and complicated philosophical arguments leave me floundering because--while I can think in complex ways if necessary--the terminology trips me up badly. I can't remember what the Anthropic principle is, even though I looked it up last time someone referred to it.

Fact is, I'm just good at brainteasers and puzzles. My friends shove these IQ tests in front of me, and I come out looking like Leonardo Da Vinci. But that's not me in everyday life. I think there is something that these tests overlook; namely, people like me who are just quiz-ready all the time.
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9406  Postby felltoearth » Oct 11, 2017 3:36 am

All three.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9407  Postby Agrippina » Oct 11, 2017 10:39 am

Calilasseia wrote:Perhaps we could ask Trump to do this IQ test. :)

My algebra brain doesn't work anymore. I don't get the bat and ball one.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#9408  Postby Agrippina » Oct 11, 2017 10:41 am

felltoearth wrote:All three.

I used to be good at algebra. Just can't do it anymore. Something's eating my brain. :whine:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#9409  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Oct 11, 2017 2:03 pm

didn't remember what the sub unit of 1£ is, guess I answered #1 wrong?

Edit: the answer is factor 10 off since they give x pence as answer :naughty:
Last edited by Agi Hammerthief on Oct 11, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#9410  Postby felltoearth » Oct 11, 2017 2:27 pm

Agrippina wrote:
felltoearth wrote:All three.

I used to be good at algebra. Just can't do it anymore. Something's eating my brain. :whine:

I do basic math like this at work almost every day. I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten it without such practice.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9411  Postby Willie71 » Oct 11, 2017 2:30 pm

Agrippina wrote:

If the ball cost .10, then the bat costing $1.00 more would be $1.20.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9412  Postby Agrippina » Oct 11, 2017 3:17 pm

Willie71 wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

I get it now. Did it without the TV on and the dog demanding to play. Needed to get focussed. Thanks.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#9413  Postby Willie71 » Oct 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Agrippina wrote:
Willie71 wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

I get it now. Did it without the TV on and the dog demanding to play. Needed to get focussed. Thanks.

I got it wrong at first too. My last math education was probably 30 years ago. I’m thinking I should take a refresher course before I do statistics.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9414  Postby aban57 » Oct 11, 2017 4:04 pm

Willie71 wrote:

I got it wrong at first too. My last math education was probably 30 years ago. I’m thinking I should take a refresher course before I do statistics.

I'm currently following a MOOC which does precisely that : refresh my maths. I'm taking it on a French platform, but I'm pretty sure you can find others in English.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#9416  Postby Pulsar » Oct 11, 2017 4:34 pm

An old gem:

trump17.png
trump17.png (55.92 KiB) Viewed 948 times
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#9417  Postby Pulsar » Oct 11, 2017 4:37 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/trump-wanted-dramatic-increase-nuclear-arsenal-meeting-military-leaders-n809701?cid=par-nbc_20171011

Trump Wanted Tenfold Increase in Nuclear Arsenal, Surprising Military

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump said he wanted what amounted to a nearly tenfold increase in the U.S. nuclear arsenal during a gathering this past summer of the nation’s highest-ranking national security leaders, according to three officials who were in the room.

Trump’s comments, the officials said, came in response to a briefing slide he was shown that charted the steady reduction of U.S. nuclear weapons since the late 1960s. Trump indicated he wanted a bigger stockpile, not the bottom position on that downward-sloping curve.

According to the officials present, Trump’s advisers, among them the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, were surprised. Officials briefly explained the legal and practical impediments to a nuclear buildup and how the current military posture is stronger than it was at the height of the buildup. In interviews, they told NBC News that no such expansion is planned.

The July 20 meeting was described as a lengthy and sometimes tense review of worldwide U.S. forces and operations. It was soon after the meeting broke up that officials who remained behind heard Tillerson say that Trump is a “moron.”

Trump's response:

trump18.png
trump18.png (59.33 KiB) Viewed 947 times
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#9418  Postby Mike_L » Oct 11, 2017 7:47 pm

I scored 3/3 on that I.Q. test... but only because I've seen similar ones before, got them hopelessly wrong and remembered the mistakes. :dopey:
Interesting article on the topic...
Actually, You Can Change Your IQ If You Work Hard Enough.

Here's one I saw in a children's book...
Q:
A man fetching ammunition for his fellow soldiers must get two cannonballs across a rickety rope bridge. He weighs 190 lbs. Each cannonball weighs 2 lbs. The rope bridge will take a maximum weight of 192 lbs without breaking. With time running out, he cannot afford to make two trips. The span is too wide for him to throw the cannonballs across. How does he solve the problem?

A:
He walks across the bridge, juggling the cannonballs as he goes.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#9419  Postby Seabass » Oct 11, 2017 8:49 pm

Mike_L wrote:I scored 3/3 on that I.Q. test... but only because I've seen similar ones before, got them hopelessly wrong and remembered the mistakes. :dopey:
Interesting article on the topic...
Actually, You Can Change Your IQ If You Work Hard Enough.

Here's one I saw in a children's book...
Q:
A man fetching ammunition for his fellow soldiers must get two cannonballs across a rickety rope bridge. He weighs 190 lbs. Each cannonball weighs 2 lbs. The rope bridge will take a maximum weight of 192 lbs without breaking. With time running out, he cannot afford to make two trips. The span is too wide for him to throw the cannonballs across. How does he solve the problem?

A:
He walks across the bridge, juggling the cannonballs as he goes.

Wouldn't work. You'd have to apply upward force to the cannonballs to give them upward velocity, thus exceeding the weight limit of the bridge. The only solution would be to take a 2 lb dump before crossing.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#9420  Postby Mike_L » Oct 11, 2017 9:06 pm

...or put the cannonballs down your shirt, cut the ropes, swing across and climb.
:grin:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs