Prime Minister Johnson Watch

Well, there it is at last...

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Prime Minister Johnson Watch

#361  Postby Ironclad » Sep 07, 2019 9:47 pm

A rudely shaped carrot, perhaps.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#362  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 08, 2019 8:19 am

Oh this one is funny ...

jamest wrote:English people have been slaves too. Romans? Vikings? The Normans?

The difference between us and you is that we don't hold grudges and fucking moan about it for eternity.

Apparently you forgot your history lessons. The one occasion when the Romans misjudged the mood of the populace, a certain Boudicca started a war that resulted in more casualties than the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Which was quite an achievement for someone wielding spears.

jamest wrote:The best part about being English is that we don't have any nationalistic hang-ups.

You've obviously never been in the company of the fucking Gammons. Or seen the likes of the EDL in action. Pull your head out of your rectal passage, and pay attention to observational data for once.

Matt_B wrote:To be honest, I'd quite like the UK to be governed to a certain extent from Brussels as it'd provide some checks and balances on the fuckwittery coming out of Westminster at the moment.

Alas, the latter can veto the former on pretty much everything that matters and there'd be no end to the oppression that's actually fucking killing people even if the country were to remain in the EU.

What I'd like to know, is why the fuck more people aren't calling for the corrupt bandits of the Tory Party to be sent to The Hague, to face charges of crimes against humanity. 120,000 people have fucking died as a result of Tory policy, which is four times the body count of the Argentine junta when it was engaging in "disappearing" people. The body count among the disabled alone has now passed the 10,000 mark, which means the Tories have managed to exterminate people they manifestly think of as "surplus plebs", at a rate seven times faster than the IRA. But because they've done this using spreadsheets and calculated neglect instead of actual gas chambers, they look set to get away with it. Think about that for a moment.

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
GrahamH wrote:"A junta that includes Corbyn" ? A Junta???

"a military or political group that rules a country after taking power by force." ? :scratch:

Doesn't suprise me, yesterday Rees-Mogg kept talking about the UK being in vassalage to the EU. Somehow.

The same inbred aristotwat wannabee seems to have no problem with us being in real vassalage to Trump's corporate chums though, if it means he gets to hide his squillions in offshore slush funds from the taxman ...

GrahamH wrote:
Fallible wrote:Love it, Thomas. :rofl:

Isn’t it Immaculata or something creepy like that?

Annunziata Rees-Mogg

Quite a pair of Christian names.

Annunziata is the Italian word for (feminine) Annunciation. It is generally understood to refer to the Virgin Mary, receiving the word of the Angel Gabriel that she is to bear the Christ child; that is, the Virgin Mary after the Annunciation.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... NJ-iBy4Ijt

(Old Testament) son of Isaac; brother of Esau; father of the twelve patriarchs of Israel; Jacob wrestled with God and forced God to bless him, so God gave Jacob the new name of Israel (meaning `one who has been strong against God')

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/Jacob

The parents were rather mundane: William and Gillian.

And two of Reeks of Smug's sprogs are called, I kid you not, Sixtus and Anselm. He's quite fond of wearing his selective Catholicism on his sleeve.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#363  Postby Fallible » Sep 08, 2019 8:23 am

What a dick gibbon.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#364  Postby newolder » Sep 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Boris Johnson has lost 5 of his first 5 commons votes, the first PM in history so to do. He takes the title away from previous record holder Boris Johnson, who lost 4 of his first 4.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#365  Postby Macdoc » Sep 09, 2019 9:14 pm

mebbe uk will go the way of Australia and turn over PMs so fast they quit painting portraits.....:coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#366  Postby ronmcd » Sep 09, 2019 9:16 pm

newolder wrote:Boris Johnson has lost 5 of his first 5 commons votes, the first PM in history so to do. He takes the title away from previous record holder Boris Johnson, who lost 4 of his first 4.

By midnight it looks like we'll have a new record holder! Exciting.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#367  Postby newolder » Sep 09, 2019 9:19 pm

He's going for the full anti-Sobers. 6 out of 6 out of the park. lol
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#368  Postby Fallible » Sep 09, 2019 9:27 pm

This is hilawful. Or awfarious.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#369  Postby Matt_B » Sep 09, 2019 11:43 pm

And he's done it. I suppose it has to be said that he's long made a career out of being the opposite of sober.

Elsewhere, rumour has it that Johnson's "alternative arrangement" to the backstop is basically just going to be the Northern Ireland only backstop that May rejected.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49639294

His plan would presumably have been to plonk it in front of Parliament when they come back and offer a binary vote between it and no deal, so he wouldn't be held entirely responsible for the latter if it was rejected again.

He'll have to figure how to weasel out of asking for an extension to do that now, of course.

The ditch beckons, figuratively of course.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#370  Postby Alan C » Sep 10, 2019 9:57 am

Fallible wrote:This is hilawful. Or awfarious.

Farcetious?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#372  Postby Alan B » Sep 10, 2019 2:55 pm

With a no deal Brexit the UK Tax Havens will be welcoming even more customers since ATAD/ATAD2 will have no effect. They will be junked.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#374  Postby ronmcd » Sep 10, 2019 9:18 pm

Must be said though, it's not seen as impossible by the Scottish govt (from 2018):

The Scottish government says it is ready to initiate discussions with Belfast and in Dublin about the feasibility of building a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland.

A spokesman for the Scottish Government told BBC NI's The View programme that it will "initiate discussions to explore improving connectivity between our two islands".

The spokesman added: "Given the scale of any such fixed link, it is important that all options are fully considered".

The idea of a fixed link has been backed by Scotland's Brexit Minister Mike Russell.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43242322

Underwater munitions dump
That is a development the Scottish Government has highlighted and they accept discussions have to take place with groups and politicians in Belfast, Dublin and in Scotland.

Building a bridge would require intensive consultation with local communities on both sides of the North Channel and would raise fundamental questions around where and how it could be constructed.

There are also major concerns about the area known as Beaufort's Dyke, a deep submarine trench in the Irish Sea between Scotland and Northern Ireland.

It was used as a munitions dump since early in the last century and the Ministry of Defence says more than one million tonnes of weapons were jettisoned there.

So beyond the practical difficulties, is a bridge across the North Channel a vanity project or could it be a wise investment?

The idea of linking Northern Ireland and Scotland divides opinion and raises big political and economic questions.

Just as the original plans did 130 years ago.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#375  Postby Macdoc » Sep 10, 2019 10:08 pm

This is 12 KM and built to withstand ice as well

so 3 of these and no ice to deal with ...certainly possible ...

Confederation Bridge

The Confederation Bridge joins the eastern Canadian provinces of Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick, making travel throughout the Maritimes easy and convenient. The curved, 12.9 kilometre (8 mile) long bridge is the longest in the world crossing ice-covered water, and continues to endure as one of Canada’s top engineering achievements of the 20th century.

The decision to replace the existing ferry service with a fixed link followed a heated debate throughout the 1980’s. Farmers, fishermen, tourism operators, and residents of Prince Edward Island had sharply contrasting opinions about how year-round access to the mainland would affect their way of life and livelihood. Eventually, it was decided that the debate would be settled at the polls. The federal department of Public Works and Government Services selected its favourite bridge design out of several proposals from the private sector, and on January 18, 1988, Premier Joseph Ghiz asked Prince Edward Islanders to make the final decision in a plebiscite. At the polls, 59.4% of Islanders voted “Yes” to a fixed link.

After four years of construction using crews of more than five thousand local workers, the Confederation Bridge opened to traffic on May 31, 1997.

also

Would You Drive on the World’s Longest Sea-Crossing Bridge?
It’s 34 miles long and includes a four-mile undersea tunnel.

https://www.coastalliving.com/travel/lo ... idge-china
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#376  Postby ronmcd » Sep 10, 2019 10:31 pm

Yeah, there's a sort of natural 'don't be fucking stupid' reaction I think. Seems quite possible from a technical point of view, I guess.

Would need to be a real quantifiable economic case for doing it though. Boris might NOT be suggesting it for entirely the right reasons. Not that I don't believe or trust the guy, but I don't believe or trust the guy. His reasons for bringing it up again now might - just might - be more about the DUP and the Union rather than the economic basis for building a great fuck-off bridge.

Also, Boris doesn't actually have any power to build bridges in or around Scotland. It's a devolved issue.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#377  Postby aban57 » Sep 10, 2019 10:37 pm

What about a floating bridge ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#378  Postby Tortured_Genius » Sep 10, 2019 10:52 pm

It's not so much the width as the depths involved - Beaufort's Dyke at 3.5 Km wide and 300m depth being the major obstacle, quite apart from it being a dumping ground for everthing from phosgene gas to nuclear waste.

The likely engineering solutions would probably look like a creation of "Bloody Stupid Johnson" and about as feasable.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#379  Postby ronmcd » Sep 10, 2019 10:55 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:It's not so much the width as the depths involved - Beaufort's Dyke at 3.5 Km wide and 300m depth being the major obstacle, quite apart from it being a dumping ground for everthing from phosgene gas to nuclear waste.

The likely engineering solutions would probably look like a creation of "Bloody Stupid Johnson" and about as feasable.

I've been ninja'd! :grin:

Macdoc wrote:This is 12 KM and built to withstand ice as well

so 3 of these and no ice to deal with ...certainly possible ...

From what I'm seeing online the problem with Scotland - NI is the depth rather than the distance. Someone pointed to this article:
https://engineering.stackexchange.com/q ... -the-world

It suggests that it would be a hugely expensive task to build the supporting piers at the depths that have been mentioned between NI and Scotland, up to 1000ft deep, so 300+ metres.

Problems galore.

Dumped munitions
Because of its depth and its proximity to the Cairnryan military port, it became the United Kingdom's largest offshore dump site for conventional and chemical munitions after the Second World War; in July 1945, 14,500 tons of 5-inch artillery rockets filled with phosgene were dumped in Beaufort's Dyke.[1] The Ministry of Defence estimates that there are well over a million tons of munitions at the bottom of Beaufort's Dyke.[2]

Munitions have subsequently been washed up on beaches in the area. In particular, in 1995, incendiary devices were discovered on the Scottish and Northern Irish coasts.[citation needed] This coincided with the laying of the Scotland-Northern Ireland pipeline (SNIP), a 24-inch gas interconnector constructed by British Gas.[citation needed]

Nuclear waste
According to documents discovered at the Public Record Office approximately two tonnes of concrete-encased metal drums, filled with radioactive laboratory rubbish and luminous paint, were dumped into Beaufort Dyke, 300 metres deep and 10 kilometres off the Scottish coast.[3]

Projects for a tunnel or Irish Sea fixed crossing between Northern Ireland and Scotland have been suggested at various times from the late 19th century onwards. The dyke has always been an important problem for such proposals, in terms of both practicality and cost.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort%27s_Dyke
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs