Prime Minister Johnson Watch

Well, there it is at last...

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Prime Minister Johnson Watch

#401  Postby felltoearth » Sep 11, 2019 1:02 pm

ronmcd wrote:Goes to Supreme Court next week. Squeaky bum time for Boris.

Thanks for the image.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#402  Postby ronmcd » Sep 11, 2019 2:52 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Alan B wrote:So, Johnson effectively lied to the Queen and advised her that cancelling Parliament was necessary thereby involving her in, unwittingly perhaps, in a political decision. Which is not in her remit as Queen.

The phrase 'an act of treason' comes to mind.

Doesn't the UK have ministerial responsibility? If so, it doesn't matter whether the Queen was aware or not, Johnson is completely responsible.

Yes, it's all down to Boris. The judges are saying he misled the Queen, the advice he gave to the Queen was "unlawful", and so then was the prorogation.

What they dont appear to be saying is that prorogation itself was illegal, it can happen for political reasons, but in this case it should be nullified because the advice was unlawful.

Boris. Tut tut tut ...
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#403  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 11, 2019 3:25 pm

How did I just now find out about Black Rod? That outfit is incredible :lol:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#404  Postby Fallible » Sep 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Yeah, but the mess they make of the door...
Sorry that you think you had it rough in the first world.
You ought to get out a map sooner than later.
Knowledge has turned into a trap; you have to slow down.
Get out of your head and spend less time alone.
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#405  Postby ronmcd » Sep 11, 2019 7:02 pm

I love this from a Guido Fawkes gimp:

The activist lawyers who brought this case chose to not fight it in London because they knew they would lose under English law.

They had to retreat to Scotland which has a very different interpretation of constitutional matters.

"retreat" lol. It's a higher court, the English courts weren't sitting, and Joanna Cherry is a Scottish QC. Apart from that ... sure.

Something that is deemed unconstitutional in Scotland can be determined to be lawful in England.

Well indeed. And as a legal expert just confirmed on BBC, in that case it would still be unlawful...
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#406  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 11, 2019 7:38 pm

I hate the dismissive slur 'activist lawyers/judges'.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#407  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Fallible wrote:Yeah, but the mess they make of the door...

They don't wait long enough to close it in the ones I've seen!

I wonder how often they need to replace that knocker part...
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#408  Postby Alan B » Sep 18, 2019 9:49 am

Independent
Boris Johnson news – live: PM told to 'keep his nose out' of Supreme Court case after he tells judges to stay neutral

Boris Johnson has been warned to “keep his nose out” of the Supreme Court case after he filed a written submission telling senior judges they have “no jurisdiction” over his suspension of parliament.

Ahead of the second day in the landmark hearing, Johnson said it would be “constitutionally inappropriate” for the judiciary to intervene in the prorogation – and warned the judges they risk “entering the political arena”.

Labour frontbencher Angela Rayner said: “The PM should keep his nose out of proceedings and let the Judges make their considered decision, they don’t need interference and warnings or finger wagging from anyone, especially from the bungling PM.”

Bullingdon Cunt rules...
Ignorant arrogant bastard.
He should be frogmarched out of office.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#409  Postby newolder » Sep 18, 2019 10:44 am

The No.10 Official added: "It was more of a snack than what one would call lunch." :roll:
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#410  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 18, 2019 11:21 am

newolder wrote:Image

The No.10 Official added: "It was more of a snack than what one would call lunch." :roll:

At least out of all of this, Americans can breath a sigh of relieve that they are no longer the only Western country with an incompetent buffoon at the helm.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#411  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 19, 2019 12:56 pm

He really does live in an alternate reality:

While camera's can be heard clicking he claims there's no press there.

And Brexit supporters are of course trying to poison the well by pointing out the dad is a Labour supporter, some even going so far as to blindly claim he doesn't have children. :picard:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#412  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 19, 2019 3:47 pm

Someone in response to the above exchange:
The bloke should have been thinking of his child rather than his political views as a Labour Activist. A very sad show of how low these activists will stoop. There is a time and place for politics and a doing it while your child is on an NHS hospital bed is just wrong.

I can't. I just can't. :banghead:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#413  Postby minininja » Sep 20, 2019 8:24 am

The absurdity of that take, bringing up the coincidental fact that he's a labour activist as if that had anything to do with why he was in the hospital or as if it in any way lessens his point, and the way that the media jumped on this revelation just to divert attention from the bullshit of Johnson's propaganda, and claimed they did so in the interests of balance. It's sickening.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#414  Postby Alan B » Sep 21, 2019 2:13 pm

Looks like de Piffle has a pair of small tits in that photo...

Just saying...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#415  Postby Matt_B » Sep 23, 2019 12:34 am

Alan B wrote:Looks like de Piffle has a pair of small tits in that photo...

Just saying...

Perhaps he could put a "big girl's blouse" over them?
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#416  Postby Alan B » Sep 23, 2019 2:31 pm

To me it's becoming obvious that de Piffle has realised that he is out of his depth and hasn't a clue and to avoid further embarrassment he prorogues parliament using the Queen's Speech as an excuse.

Cunt!
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#417  Postby Alan B » Sep 24, 2019 9:47 am

Guardian
Brexit: judges rule that Boris Johnson's proroguing of parliament was unlawful – live news

Hale says prorogation 'unlawful, void and of no effect'

Hale says prorogation is not a proceeding in parliament.

Although it takes place in parliament, it is not their decision. It is something that has been imposed on them from outside.

The PM’s advice to Her Majesty was “unlawful, void and of no effect”.

That means the order in council was also “unlawful, void and of no effect”.

That means the prorogation had no effect. She says it is as if the royal commission had no effect.

Parliament has not been prorogued, she says.

She says it is for the Speaker to decide what happens next.

Since Johnson is in America, will he stay there to avoid the consequences?
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#418  Postby Thommo » Sep 24, 2019 10:01 am

Supreme court judgements and summaries on the case are available here:

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2019-0192.html
https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2019-0193.html

Whilst the short term effects of this decision are most welcome, I can't help think the longer term implications are absolutely profound and mark a further step towards the American model of the judiciary. It is difficult to see how this isn't the courts making laws.

I have heard it suggested that the appropriate response would be to have a single formal written constitution, like America does, but I have to admit that also appears to be a step in the same direction, rather than a remedy.
Thommo

Print view this post

#419  Postby ronmcd » Sep 24, 2019 10:16 am

Thommo wrote:Supreme court judgements and summaries on the case are available here:

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2019-0192.html
https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2019-0193.html

Whilst the short term effects of this decision are most welcome, I can't help think the longer term implications are absolutely profound and mark a further step towards the American model of the judiciary. It is difficult to see how this isn't the courts making laws.

I have heard it suggested that the appropriate response would be to have a single formal written constitution, like America does, but I have to admit that also appears to be a step in the same direction, rather than a remedy.

I think it's more that the Judges felt Parliament was prevented from making decisions, and so they have been returned to their previous status of not being prorogued. I think in the judgement they said they weren't overruling Parliament, Parliament had been prevented from doing it's job.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#420  Postby Alan B » Sep 24, 2019 10:24 am

More Guardian comments

I think I would prefer the present constitution style which can be amended as situations change over the years.

The American style seems inflexible and lacks the ability to be easily changed. Consider the mess they are in with the "2nd Amendment". :crazy:

Still, I know very little about the 'in's and out's' of this legal stuff and at my age I don't think I care very much.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs