Remembrance Day

Americans don't even know what to remember

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Remembrance Day

#1  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 10, 2021 3:07 pm

A weekly columnist published his attempt at virtue signaling with his opinion piece in our local newspaper, Honoring fallen heroes goes beyond lowering flags to half staff.

This guy has no fucking idea what happened on November 11, 1918. He has no fucking idea what led up to that day.

The owner of the paper (Chad) where you read that has, for the second time, simply decided to shut off commenting online, to explain the first sentence in my reply to the columnist. He knows of this.

So, here's what I sent him directly:

We don't get to comment online any more, Chad only likes the commenters that agree with him. Again.

But, regarding your recent commentary about fallen heroes, I have some things you need to wrap your mind around.

Do not conflate police and what they do with the military. November 11th has absolutely nothing to do with police.

Police all belong to a union. Unions that oppose the will of the people. The police therefore, do not serve us. Nor do they serve the law. Police have repeatedly sought and received Supreme Court rulings declaring they have no duty to protect citizens. When one of them acts up, they hide behind their qualified immunity to escape prosecution. Every thing they do is for "officer safety", not the safety of citizens or our constitution.

You know what happens when a policeman up and quits their post? Nothing. They stop getting paid. You know what happens when a military man does this? Court martial. In wartime, the penalty is death. Police face no such jeopardy. Ever.

You know what else we haven't seen? We haven't seen the military threaten the safety of our constitution over orders to get vaccinated. Unlike our police in Chicago, New York, and right here at home, who threaten our social order because so many of their numbers who refuse to get vaccinated (you know, the protecting us part they refuse to do) are getting fired.

We veterans don't need your befriending or nebulous "support". Stop sending us abroad on bullshit never ending wars. That's what we need you to do. Stop equating police with us. Our military exists to defend our constitution, the police do not.

All those people, combatants and civilians, dead and maimed for nothing. For this prick columnist to completely forget they ever existed and why they died, alone and afraid, bleeding someone else's fields red.

Perhaps if these assholes over here actually remembered that horror and sacrifice, .... ah, fuck it. They won't.

I fucking hate people.

Don's email address is at the bottom of his article, if you want to let him know what you think.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Remembrance Day

#2  Postby Tortured_Genius » Nov 10, 2021 4:11 pm

I never could figure out the USA's veneration of the military. Just another cultural variation I suppose rooted in geography, history and politics - and now I come the think of it the US military's role is very different to that of our own.

Jingoistic dick-waving around remembrance is universal though. One thing I like about the UK is that symbol for it is the poppy, which makes the jingoists look especially stupid around 11/11 11:00. It's difficult to avoid the symbolism without a complete and total ignorance of history.

(The 2014 WW1 centenary sculpture really brought it home:

1 poppy for every dead WW1 serviceman)

Quite how the writer of that piece managed to conflate the role of the police with the military betrays ignorance on an epic scale though.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby BlackBart » Nov 10, 2021 5:56 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:

1 poppy for every dead WW1 serviceman)

We have one of those poppies. It's for my wife's great uncle.

Lest we forget.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby UncertainSloth » Nov 10, 2021 11:46 pm

i had the honour of leading a school choir singing under the poppies when they came to st george's hall in liverpool - something very powerful about them...

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Hermit » Nov 23, 2021 5:32 am

Yes, we should commemorate the millions of soldiers who were killed during wars, but I wish more awareness were created about the fact that they have more in common with their counterparts than with the economic and political leaders on whose behalf they are doing the killing and dying.
Göring: Why, of course, the people don't want war. Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally, the common people don't want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship.

Gilbert: There is one difference. In a democracy, the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the United States only Congress can declare wars.

Göring: Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

In an interview with Gilbert in Göring's jail cell during the Nuremberg War Crimes Trials (18 April 1946)

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Hermann_G%C3%B6ring
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby hackenslash » Nov 23, 2021 10:38 am

That's a spectacularly tone-deaf piece. Not much to add to your commentary.

For a UK perspective on remembrance, this is pretty good.

hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Hermit » Nov 23, 2021 11:07 am

hackenslash wrote:That's a spectacularly tone-deaf piece. Not much to add to your commentary.

Ah, the tone police has arrived. My apologies for not mentioning that "Yes, we should commemorate the millions of soldiers who were killed during wars".
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby hackenslash » Nov 23, 2021 12:06 pm

Excuse me? I wasn't even commenting on your post.

Tone police? Do fuck off.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Hermit » Nov 23, 2021 12:49 pm

hackenslash wrote:Excuse me? I wasn't even commenting on your post.

So, following on immediately below my post whom were you addressing when you wrote "Not much to add to your commentary."?

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby hackenslash » Nov 23, 2021 1:56 pm

I get that it's difficult for some, but 'tone-deaf piece' isn't something that can be applied to your post. I was addressing the OP.

Perhaps, rather than getting your idiot panties in a bunch about some imagined slight, you could take your foot off the butthurt pedal and try fucking thinking instead.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Hermit » Nov 23, 2021 3:11 pm

hackenslash wrote:I get that it's difficult for some, but 'tone-deaf piece' isn't something that can be applied to your post. I was addressing the OP.

Perhaps, rather than getting your idiot panties in a bunch about some imagined slight, you could take your foot off the butthurt pedal and try fucking thinking instead.

You could have made it clear that you were addressing the author of the article linked to by The_Metatron in the opening post when you referred to "your commentary" in your post immediately following mine. Even just writing "his commentary" would have made it clear you aimed your post at someone who is not actually around to read it. It is you who has not thought this through.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby hackenslash » Nov 23, 2021 3:29 pm

Go on, mr tone-police, tell me again what I should have said.

Like I said, logic isn't for everybody.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby Hermit » Nov 23, 2021 5:03 pm

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs